NATION

PASSWORD

Iraqi PM declares "State of Emergency" as ISIS occupy Mosul

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:41 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Volnotova wrote:
Both are right (Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant or Islamic State in Iraq and Syria).

In fact, I would say the first is the right one as they now also have cells in Jordan.

This^. Their objective is wider than just Iraq and Syria.

So, they basically want to recreate the Caliphate?
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:41 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Volnotova wrote:
Both are right (Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant or Islamic State in Iraq and Syria).

In fact, I would say the first is the right one as they now also have cells in Jordan.

:palm: Now I feel like an idiot.

Well, I guess that as long as they haven't captured any towns in Jordan you can still call them ISIS. :?
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Volnotova wrote:
Senkaku wrote:You have a valid point, but stop calling it ISIL.

It's actually Islamic state of Iraq and Shams, not Syria
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:42 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Geilinor wrote:This^. Their objective is wider than just Iraq and Syria.

Pretty much. (Just look up their propaganda videos, I also posted a source earlier were they threatened Jordan)

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:43 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
What arms suppliers are going to sell to ISIL? I don't think Russia or Mexico is going to, which is where the RPG-29 was produced;

There are numerous short sighted criminal organizations in Russia and Mexico, and ISIS could very well manufacture their own bazookas.
and the only countries in the region where supplies of RPG-29s can be obtained from are Iran and Syria.

They stand a good chance of taking Syria right now.

I think al-Assad can at least hang on for longer than al-Maliki, if not maintain an independent portion of Syria, especially since he's got Russian support. But they'll probably be able to sweep the other rebel movements aside soon and take control of the areas that the rebels currently hold.

Now I almost regret making Assad give up his chemical weapons, because ISIL seem like just the perfect target for them.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:43 pm

I don't know, but they did say they'll kill the king of Jordan and are gaining ground in Syria.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:43 pm

Volnotova wrote:Not too sure about that. They seem to have some pretty advanced equipment (from the videos I have seen), including anti-air missiles.

If anything, I think manpower is going to become an issue in the next few days (though they have been bolstered by freed fighters and new requitement lately).

Also take into account they can basically buy a technical for every single one of their fighters atm.

They have some equipment now, yes. There was a sizeable amount inside the country or recently smuggled in. The question is, how easily can they get more?
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:43 pm

Except meaner and with more ambitions to blow up the West.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:44 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Volnotova wrote:

There in lays the problem.

Apparently 'Shams' can refer to both Syria and 'Greater Syria', which in the English language is known as the Levant.

Hence ISIL.
Last edited by Volnotova on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:45 pm

Senkaku wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:So, they basically want to recreate the Caliphate?

I don't know, the Caliphate was pretty ambitious about conquering the West.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:45 pm

Volnotova wrote:
Saruhan wrote:It's actually Islamic state of Iraq and Shams, not Syria

Therin lays the problem.

Apparently 'Shams' can refer to both Syria and 'Greater Syria', which in the English language is known as the Levant.

Hence ISIL.

I've heard Shams being used for the Levant more than Syria (Suriya) but either way they want most of the central ME
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:46 pm

Geilinor wrote:

I don't know, but they did say they'll kill the king of Jordan and are gaining ground in Syria.

Of course they are, the West is giving them equipment to fight "evil Assad".

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:46 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Volnotova wrote:

Al-Sham is the region around Syria. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria_%28region%29

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:47 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Saruhan wrote:It's actually Islamic state of Iraq and Shams, not Syria

Al-Sham is the region around Syria. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria_%28region%29

So yeah, basically what we refer to as the Levant.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Geilinor wrote:I don't know, but they did say they'll kill the king of Jordan and are gaining ground in Syria.

Of course they are, the West is giving them equipment to fight "evil Assad".

ISIL has almost exclusively targeted rival rebels — including the Nusra Front which Baghdadi originally nurtured — rather than Assad’s forces, as it exploits turmoil in Syria and insecurity in Iraq to carve out territory.

They aren't fighting Assad.

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Yeah. That's pretty much what radical Islam is all about.
Senkaku wrote:
Blakk Metal wrote:There are numerous short sighted criminal organizations in Russia and Mexico, and ISIS could very well manufacture their own bazookas.

They stand a good chance of taking Syria right now.

I think al-Assad can at least hang on for longer than al-Maliki, if not maintain an independent portion of Syria, especially since he's got Russian support. But they'll probably be able to sweep the other rebel movements aside soon and take control of the areas that the rebels currently hold.

Now I almost regret making Assad give up his chemical weapons, because ISIL seem like just the perfect target for them.

Are talking deadly ones, or gay ass Vietnam shit?
Senkaku wrote:

You do realize the last Caliphate went as far as Austria before being stopped, right?

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Dracoria wrote:
Volnotova wrote:Not too sure about that. They seem to have some pretty advanced equipment (from the videos I have seen), including anti-air missiles.

If anything, I think manpower is going to become an issue in the next few days (though they have been bolstered by freed fighters and new requitement lately).

Also take into account they can basically buy a technical for every single one of their fighters atm.

They have some equipment now, yes. There was a sizeable amount inside the country or recently smuggled in. The question is, how easily can they get more?

Depends on whether or not the Saudis and Qataris are secretly backing them, like they've done for other organizations. If they are, then probably quite easily. If not, they'll have to try and smuggle it into Basra (because let's face it, they will take Basra) or perhaps Lebanese and Syrian ports.

I also expect, with all the instability spilling over from Syria, they'll be going after Lebanon.

It'd be nice to see the Turks get a little more involved in their own backyard.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Just to clarify, I am going by what the English section of Wikipedia is officially calling them on the basis that if an article is collaboratively edited and reviewed; chances are it has been translated accurately for the most part.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Geilinor wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Of course they are, the West is giving them equipment to fight "evil Assad".

ISIL has almost exclusively targeted rival rebels — including the Nusra Front which Baghdadi originally nurtured — rather than Assad’s forces, as it exploits turmoil in Syria and insecurity in Iraq to carve out territory.

They aren't fighting Assad.

I know I've seen Islamists targeting his forces... were those different groups? Either way, they'll have to target his troops eventually, if they want control of more than just sparsely inhabited areas in Northeastern Syria.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:51 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Now I almost regret making Assad give up his chemical weapons, because ISIL seem like just the perfect target for them.

Are talking deadly ones, or gay ass Vietnam shit?

Both.

Blakk Metal wrote:Senkaku";p="20486893"]

You do realize the last Caliphate went as far as Austria before being stopped, right?[/quote]

Yes, I do. I'm not stupid. And I'm sure ISIL wouldn't hold back if they thought they could push that far.
Last edited by Senkaku on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:52 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

Depends on whether or not the Saudis and Qataris are secretly backing them, like they've done for other organizations. If they are, then probably quite easily. If not, they'll have to try and smuggle it into Basra (because let's face it, they will take Basra) or perhaps Lebanese and Syrian ports.

I also expect, with all the instability spilling over from Syria, they'll be going after Lebanon.

The issue with smuggling through Basra is, they're just asking for an Iranian or western blockade of the Gulf again. Woudln't it be kind of crazy if both the US and Iran agreed to such a thing?

Smuggling from Saudi Arabia is more likely, but the large movements necessary to provide that many weapons would probably be noticed by one spy agency or another. It isn't like there's much cover from satellites or spy planes/drones going across the border.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:02 pm

Dracoria wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Depends on whether or not the Saudis and Qataris are secretly backing them, like they've done for other organizations. If they are, then probably quite easily. If not, they'll have to try and smuggle it into Basra (because let's face it, they will take Basra) or perhaps Lebanese and Syrian ports.

The issue with smuggling through Basra is, they're just asking for an Iranian or western blockade of the Gulf again. Woudln't it be kind of crazy if both the US and Iran agreed to such a thing?

Smuggling from Saudi Arabia is more likely, but the large movements necessary to provide that many weapons would probably be noticed by one spy agency or another. It isn't like there's much cover from satellites or spy planes/drones going across the border.

Actually, if that happened, combined w/the new nuclear deals, it could represent a significant turn for the better in US-Iran relations... :?

Edit: and its not like anyone would stop the Saudis.
Last edited by Senkaku on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

Actually, if that happened, combined w/the new nuclear deals, it could represent a significant turn for the better in US-Iran relations... :?

Edit: and its not like anyone would stop the Saudis.

Maybe it's just the little optimist who hides inside my head and peeks out every now and then, but I keep hoping this whole ugly affair may actually provide a turning point in several regional and global relationships. What if the US and Iran actually work on the same side this time? What if Israel is seen as acting in favor of the Syrian and Iraqi people more than the Saudis are? There won't be immediate changes, but maybe doors will be opened down the road.
Also, chocobos.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Senkaku wrote:

Yeah the Caliphate was arguably extremely tolerant and protective of minorities for its time.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:19 pm

greed and death wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Except meaner and with more ambitions to blow up the West.

Yeah the Caliphate was arguably extremely tolerant and protective of minorities for its time.

The Caliphate also enslaved more people than the West ever did.

As for tolerance, the Mongols were better.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General