NATION

PASSWORD

Former Mayor Bloomberg Fights Against NRA

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support Michael Bloomberg and his new organization?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes : 219

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Rabbidskiya Republika wrote:
Senkaku wrote:A Republican does something good for our nation for a change. This is nice.

He actually served terms as an independent originally, his last term he ran as a republican.

Wow, is it possible to be more of a RINO. I wonder why he even bothered with a party affiliation. ;)

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:The numbers I provided were for 2011 for both cities, as that is the most recent data available for both. Feel free to follow the links to see that the highers rates for Indianapolis vs. NYC hold true for over a decade.

Yeah, that's my bad I was actually confusing the data of NY with that from chicago which I happen to know is lower than Indianapolic over most of the past 10-15 years or so. :palm:

I was too lazy to look up Chicago as well, though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if their rates were on par with or lower than Indianapolis'...

They're pretty much on par with Indianapolis, though murder rate is slightly higher.
Last edited by Dyakovo on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:18 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Rabbidskiya Republika wrote:He actually served terms as an independent originally, his last term he ran as a republican.

Wow, is it possible to be more of a RINO. I wonder why he even bothered with a party affiliation. ;)

"RINO" is a fallacious epithet and more anti-thought newspeak. He was just plain conservative.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
Yeah, no sometimes the slope really is slippery this would be a prime example. ;)

Nope. You're just fearmongering with no factual evidence. Typical right-wing anti-thought.

Ok, then expalin why cigarette smuggling should be treated differently then gun smuggling. After all they both kill lots of people (and secondhand smoke harms even non-smokers though I believe there some debate on the extent of damage there), why shouldn't a city like NYC for exactly dictate policy on everyone else to prevent smuggling, just as is being suggest they be allowed to do for guns? :eyebrow:

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Death Metal wrote:
Nope. You're just fearmongering with no factual evidence. Typical right-wing anti-thought.

Ok, then expalin why cigarette smuggling should be treated differently then gun smuggling. After all they both kill lots of people (and secondhand smoke harms even non-smokers though I believe there some debate on the extent of damage there), why shouldn't a city like NYC for exactly dictate policy on everyone else to prevent smuggling, just as is being suggest they be allowed to do for guns? :eyebrow:

A nation-wide standard of gun regulation is not "big cities dictating policy".
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:

"RINO" is a fallacious epithet and more anti-thought newspeak. He was just plain conservative.

Oh hell no, seriously conservative aren't antigun (nor are they even for common sense regulation in most cases, heck even most moderate republicans are owned by the NRA nowadays too), nor do they pass soda bans, nor smoking bans etc etc. Maybe he was more fiscally conservative but otherwise in no way was he a conservative. Did he even cut taxes in NYC? :eyebrow:

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

Because you're making up an issue that is not even an issue, for one.
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:22 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:Yeah, that's my bad I was actually confusing the data of NY with that from chicago which I happen to know is lower than Indianapolic over most of the past 10-15 years or so. :palm:

I was too lazy to look up Chicago as well, though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if their rates were on par with or lower than Indianapolis'...

They're pretty much on par with Indianapolis, though murder rate is slightly higher.

Looks like gun control means nothing unless all the surrounding states have very strict rules. Indiana's loose laws just seep over into Chicago.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

Oh hell no, seriously conservative aren't antigun....

And no true scotsman sugars his porridge.

Your fallacy is still a fallacy.

Also, conservatives push for gun regulatin all the time. They tend to be called Democrats.
Last edited by Death Metal on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:24 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:

A nation-wide standard of gun regulation is not "big cities dictating policy".

That's effectively what their doing (though yes I realize it wouldn't literally be NYC or other big crime ridden cities writing the laws.) But the argument that their problems given them the right to trump other states rights is clearly risible. :)

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:25 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:A nation-wide standard of gun regulation is not "big cities dictating policy".

That's effectively what their doing (though yes I realize it wouldn't literally be NYC or other big crime ridden cities writing the laws.) But the argument that their problems given them the right to trump other states rights is clearly risible. :)

So all national laws are dictatorship of the big cities? Most Americans actually live in the suburbs.
Last edited by Geilinor on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:26 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:I was too lazy to look up Chicago as well, though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if their rates were on par with or lower than Indianapolis'...

Looks like gun control means nothing unless all the surrounding states have very strict rules. Indiana's loose laws just seep over into Chicago.

This is exactly why a nation standard is necessary for gun control regulations.
Married to Koshka

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
Oh hell no, seriously conservative aren't antigun....

Yeah, if it were one issue I can see how he could still be considered a conservative but seriously you can only diverge so much before it really does become ridiculous. Besides conservatives have increasingly been demanding more and more ideological purity lately(hence the tea party, thus I believe it is Republicans who have themselves as a group raised the bar on what is an acceptable deviation from the norm by their membership..

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:A nation-wide standard of gun regulation is not "big cities dictating policy".

That's effectively what their doing.

No, it isn't. You're deluding yourself if you think the only people who favor stricter gun control are from big cities.
Married to Koshka

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:

So all national laws are dictatorship of the big cities? Most Americans actually live in the suburbs.

Suburbs are the product of violence within city limits and over-eager land developers.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Qeno
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Qeno » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
Rabbidskiya Republika wrote:This thread is really going nowhere fast. Both sides strongly hold fast to their ,beliefs, and just keep re-posting the same thing, so let's just end the discussion before it goes too far. I am Pro-gun, and that will never change, and the anti-gun folks won't change, so let's just dial it back a bit because the discussion is slowly turning into a flame war.

As someone who enjoys said firearms, I'm all for truly sensible changes in the system. However, said changes need to effect criminals and not further place even more burden on law abiding citizens.

you know what...I agree with you two... I am also Pro-firearms and what Mayor Bloomberg is doing is creating more criminals. Those people have no regard for the law and that is the main difference between law abiding citizens and criminals. Now if we could get the reforms to relate to that fact that would solve the problem!
Desired Tech Level: Future Tech
My nation's pronounciation: Key-No
National government: A imperialist constitutional monarchy with a matriarch as a ruler and an assembly to advise her will
Anti-realist in RPs

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Looks like gun control means nothing unless all the surrounding states have very strict rules. Indiana's loose laws just seep over into Chicago.

This is exactly why a nation standard is necessary for gun control regulations.

Good luck getting that to pass as it requires Congress.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

Yeah, if it were one issue I can see how he could still be considered a conservative but seriously you can only diverge so much before it really does become ridiculous.

If anything, gun control is one thing that Republicans are actually liberal on.

Banning sodas and shit are also right-wing stances.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 pm

Dyakovo wrote:This is exactly why a nation standard is necessary for gun control regulations.

Good luck getting that to pass as it requires Congress.

Having a counter to the reactionary idiocy of the NRA improves the chances of it happening.
Married to Koshka

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:32 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Good luck getting that to pass as it requires Congress.

Having a counter to the reactionary idiocy of the NRA improves the chances of it happening.

It won't happen until 2022 at earliest given the gerrymandering of Congressional districts.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Dyakovo wrote:Having a counter to the reactionary idiocy of the NRA improves the chances of it happening.

It won't happen until 2022 at earliest given the gerrymandering of Congressional districts.

Better late than never.
Married to Koshka

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
That's effectively what their doing.

No, it isn't. You're deluding yourself if you think the only people who favor stricter gun control are from big cities.

Also, it's funny to note, the state with the highest murder rate per capita is a pro-gun state.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:No, it isn't. You're deluding yourself if you think the only people who favor stricter gun control are from big cities.

Also, it's funny to note, the state with the highest murder rate per capita is a pro-gun state.

Funny, but not in the least bit surprising.
Married to Koshka

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:36 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:It won't happen until 2022 at earliest given the gerrymandering of Congressional districts.

Better late than never.

By then, there will probably be more mounting issues involving Social Security and Medicare.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
Yeah, if it were one issue I can see how he could still be considered a conservative but seriously you can only diverge so much before it really does become ridiculous.

If anything, gun control is one thing that Republicans are actually liberal on.

Banning sodas and shit are also right-wing stances.

Since when have those been right wing issues? I don't here a lot of conservatives or even republicans for that mattter talking about banning cigarrettes (things which are already legal) or limiting soda size. Sure there some divide on whether more drugs should now be legalized but still I've hardly seen many Republicans cusading against big tobacco the way the Dems do.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General