NATION

PASSWORD

Geography and foreign intervention

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hochste Kaiserreich
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hochste Kaiserreich » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:20 pm

I have always wondered how so many people can be so ignorant of the world around them. It's the freaking planet you live on, how could you not know how to locate basic nations essential to it's history, or know that history? It's a half and half problem, partly because schools insist on keeping Social Studies programs in the bubble of American History and State History (State History I see no freaking point of) up to the end of high school. The other half is students and people knowing that they are ignorant, but refusing to take up the minute to Google simple words like "Russia" or "Germany" or "Napoleanic Wars". I find it appalling and disgusting that our citizens can be so out of touch, and think Congress needs to seriously reform the education system to mimic our European superiors counterparts before wasting the year debating about Gun Control or Healthcare.
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.03
Hail Hydra

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Hochste Kaiserreich wrote:I have always wondered how so many people can be so ignorant of the world around them. It's the freaking planet you live on, how could you not know how to locate basic nations essential to it's history, or know that history?

The problem is apathy to history and poor education.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:09 am

As someone who can pinpoint virtually every country on a map, I never quite understand why it's used as a barometer of international understanding. I know fuck all about their political situations, but because I can point out Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, and Equatorial Guinea on a map, I'm informed? It's never made any sense.

Benuty wrote:Too small a sample size to be fair.

A sample size of 2066 is enough for the population of the United States to be confident of the results +/- 3%. It's more than large enough to be fair.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:13 am

Blakk Metal wrote:I looked at the map, and most of the false answers are in the general area.

Here's the map in question for those too lazy to read the linked articles.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:14 am

As someone who can name about 180 out of 196 countries, this result is really saddening. It shows how little the US education system puts on geography. Then again, it's not just the US. I bet that most Japanese or French kids couldn't find it either.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Lyttenburgh
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyttenburgh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:26 am

Americans are stupid? They want to invade random countries? No way!
Last edited by Lyttenburgh on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
“In an hour of Darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of Insanity, look to the madman to show the way.”

Fight for Peace. Live for War. Die for Nothing

I wholeheartedly support the Great Ukraine from Lviv to Ternopil!

Breadknife
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Breadknife » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:55 am

I think the problem with proto-Geographers in the US is that their world is so confusing...

http://xkcd.com/503/

...with that disadvantage, no wonder there's a lot of people thinking that North Korea1 is in Australia (or that it's South Korea that's the enemy).

On the other hand (but maybe it's just the kind of people Randall gets to meet), there's http://xkcd.com/850/ as well...

edit: 1 Actually, it's coming back to me, it was maybe Iraq or Iran that that famously got placed in Australia, instead, by a (willing?) participant of one of these "Aren't us Americans stupid" videos that I'm sure is on YouTube, somewhere.
Last edited by Breadknife on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ceci n'est pas une griffe.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:30 am

The Emerald Dragon wrote:
Viritica wrote:Oh great, here come the anti-America twats spewing their bullshit.

You can give it out, but not take it.

Typical.

Give what out?
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:45 am

Lemanrussland wrote:
Blakk Metal wrote:I looked at the map, and most of the false answers are in the general area.

I still hope those that put it in the US were being tongue in cheek.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:46 am

Viritica wrote:

Typical.

Give what out?

Sex, presumably; he might be calling you a slut, I don't know; I'm getting my threads confused.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Darwinish Brentsylvania
Senator

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Darwinish Brentsylvania » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:42 am

Kiruri wrote:Shocker! Americans suck at geography :p I don't think this is anything new. Yes, obviously Americans need to pump up their social studies / history / geography curriculum

I'm great at all three. This statistic is rather shocking, though.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:33 pm

I feel like geography is like math. Most students are well versed in it but they forget as adults. I mean how many jobs would require it. School is weird because it tries to teach us all different subjects, and we just forget the ones that we don't use in our jobs.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:20 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Lemanrussland wrote:Image

I still hope those that put it in the US were being tongue in cheek.

I thought it was pretty funny when people in Georgia, USA started freaking out when Russia invaded Georgia, the country.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:23 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:I feel like geography is like math. Most students are well versed in it but they forget as adults. I mean how many jobs would require it. School is weird because it tries to teach us all different subjects, and we just forget the ones that we don't use in our jobs.

I think one big problem is that geography is just not taught that much. It's lumped into social studies, which is history, sociology and geography all put together. I wasn't really taught geography past the 8th grade.

Marcurix
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Fionnuala_Saoirse wrote:
Nervium wrote:
Well, you thought wrong.

Go on, use your words. Why?

Understanding where a country is located, along with how big it is, puts things in context. I demonstrates an understanding of the situation and helps form a persons opinion on the subject.

If you don't know, at least roughly where a country is located you aren't going to understand the situation.
Last edited by Marcurix on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

Marcurix
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:45 pm

Viritica wrote:

Typical.

Give what out?

Criticism would be my guess.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

Spartan Philidelphia
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Spartan Philidelphia » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Geography is certainly an important subject, and I'd love for Americans to know more about other countries, but one shouldn't really expect Americans to learn these things on their own.
Spartan Philidelphia
Region: Sparta
[Defunct] National Corporation:
The Spartan Philidelphia Almost Anything Corporation
Leader: Luigi Mario
National Religion: Pastafarianism
Population: 50,420,000

Thank you all powerful moderators who were sent by Max Barry to protect us from all things spammy and trollish.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:05 pm

Fionnuala_Saoirse wrote:
Alyakia wrote:
while there are few people that can pinpoint literally every country ever it demonstrates a very large lack of understanding of the world if you're struggling to find the places you invaded

can you seriously tell you'd take someone on the other side of the world who doesn't even know what an ireland looks like seriously if they started rattling their mouth?

Well obviously I whip out a map and ask them to pinpoint it to determine whether they're idiots....

Nah just kidding. If they understand the players involved and the factors involved their ability to point at a globe and shout "that one" really means fuck all.

How exactly can people understand the players involved, if they don't know where the players are?

Also:

Magna Libero wrote:The shocking part of this news is that those, who did not know where Ukraine is were more likely to call for a military intervention.

It's important to know that Ukraine's not located in Alaska, when considering if war with Russia is worth defending Ukraine.

Kratu wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:No, geography is really easy; even someone with a basic understanding of geography should be able to know that Ukraine is in Eastern Europe. Hell, just from the news reports, they should know that it borders Russia, and that really narrows it down.

But that requires them to know where Russia is. :p

:lol2:

Geilinor wrote:
Hochste Kaiserreich wrote:I have always wondered how so many people can be so ignorant of the world around them. It's the freaking planet you live on, how could you not know how to locate basic nations essential to it's history, or know that history?

The problem is apathy to history and poor education.

TBQH, apathy to history's driven by poor education, and the return of the twat mentality that only hard sciences matter.

Murkwood wrote:As someone who can name about 180 out of 196 countries, this result is really saddening. It shows how little the US education system puts on geography. Then again, it's not just the US. I bet that most Japanese or French kids couldn't find it either.

It is, especially since there are only 193 UN members, and way more than 3 states with limited recognition :P

Abkhazia, SADR, Palestine, Taiwan...

Lyttenburgh wrote:Americans are stupid? They want to invade random countries? No way!

"Who won the Vietnam War?"
"We did! Wait, were we even in the Vietnam War?"

:rofl:

(2nd video)

Spartan Philidelphia wrote:Geography is certainly an important subject, and I'd love for Americans to know more about other countries, but one shouldn't really expect Americans to learn these things on their own.

Time for China to liberate the US from geographic ignorance? :P
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

-The Trade Federation-
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Trade Federation- » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Since America gained independance, they constantly think about "merging with Canada".

First, it wouldn't be received very well, especially by the patriotic French-Canadians (Trust me, I live in Quebec).

Second...it doesn't surprise me that Americans know so little about geography. Sure, they KNOW where Arabia and all the oil is, but they don't even know their Canadian neighbor...I went to Texas once and when we asked about Canada, they said it was "A state up north".

Wow...
A dominant heterosexual 15-year old male with Asperger's Syndrome that is a self-proclaimed airship history expert and loves mashed potatoes ! Yes girls, I am...alone ? Yeah, alone. I'm also a Smurf lover. A smurf lover, you ask yourself ? It's like a brony, but Smurfs.

Since I seem to get a lot of random telegrams, telegram me, I love telegrams and I'm single, so why the hell not ?

United Earthlings
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United Earthlings » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:11 pm

PSA

For as little as 8 dollars, you can make a big difference in someone's life with the gift of knowledge.

Please donate today and bring joy to the once uninformed.

All proceeds go directly to the *I'm no longer Ignorant* Charitable Fund, 501(c).
Commonwealth Defence Export|OC Thread for Storefront|Write-Ups
Embassy Page|Categories Types

You may delay, but time will not, therefore make sure to enjoy the time you've wasted.

Welcome to the NSverse, where funding priorities and spending levels may seem very odd, to say the least.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 pm

-The Trade Federation- wrote:Since America gained independance, they constantly think about "merging with Canada".

Constantly? I don't think we've seriously said that since 1812.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:57 pm

2000 people seems like too few to extrapolate to a country of 300 million. Isn't it?
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Margno wrote:2000 people seems like too few to extrapolate to a country of 300 million. Isn't it?

Welcome to statistics. :p

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:21 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:

Holy shit :rofl: Who the fuck thinks Ukraine is in central Asia?! There are things that I can forgive in Geography like for example, getting the Czech Republic mixed up with Slovakia Or getting Algeria mixed up with Nigeria (less so) but Ukraine is a large country with a very distinct coastline. Also I would imagine they have been shown masses of maps on the news recently to demonstrate what precisely is going on in Ukraine... really people just need to pay attention more.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General