NATION

PASSWORD

Christian theological question.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Does God elect certain people to be saved/condemned?

Yes
21%
No
51%
Spam Fam Answer.
28%

Total votes : 138

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:11 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:They are offtopic. Nuff said. If you want to continue the back and forth tit-for-tat, then start up another religion vs science thread and I will join you there. Maybe. I have a movie to go see tonight.

It wasn't off topic until you found yourself unable to create a rebuttal to my arguments. Now you make excuses as to why you most likely will not respond, even if I do create another thread, even though I have shown that this argument is (Marginally) on topic.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Acadzia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Acadzia » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Unless you are absolutely convinced God exists. So, why are you bothering with this little crusade of yours?

Ignorance must be fought wherever it occurs. If it is hopeless, then so be it. It's not like I'm harming myself in any way. If I can convince so much as a single person with my arguments, then that will be one more person relieved of the burden of blind faith in this world, and thus the world will improve, however slightly and locally.

So selfless!
/swoon
The Kingdom of Atlantis in A Modern World. Join us, we rock.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:It wasn't off topic until you found yourself unable to create a rebuttal to my arguments. Now you make excuses as to why you most likely will not respond, even if I do create another thread, even though I have shown that this argument is (Marginally) on topic.

It's like Bluth's "You didn't follow my arbitrary and selectively invoked principles of civilized discussion, so I can ignore you."
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:You insist on keeping this derailment going. I can respond to each and every of the attacks.

No, you really can't.
I choose not to, in order to re-rail this discussion.

This discussion is on topic, as I've stated before.
DROP IT.

Saying something in caps does not make it an executive order.
I will no longer respond to this line of attacks in this thread.

Mostly because you cannot prove that our line of arguments are in any way wrong or flawed on this matter.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 pm

Acadzia wrote:So selfless!
/swoon

Well, I also enjoy the act of arguing.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:It wasn't off topic until you found yourself unable to create a rebuttal to my arguments. Now you make excuses as to why you most likely will not respond, even if I do create another thread, even though I have shown that this argument is (Marginally) on topic.

It's like Bluth's "You didn't follow my arbitrary and selectively invoked principles of civilized discussion, so I can ignore you."

Which is why I don't bother with either of them unless I want lulz. But that bit is totally off-topic, so I'm gonna shut up now. :p

New Illuve
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Illuve » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:15 pm

Fassitude wrote:
Yenke-Bin wrote:Does God elect certain people to go to heaven/hell?

Did Audumla (the cow created from the melting of the same piece of Niflheim ice that the giant Ymir, whose body the world was later created of, was born from) and her licking of the salt of the Niflheim ice give rise to Buri? Then how did he give rise to Bor, when there were no women for him to impregnate? And where did Bor's wife, Ymir's daughter, Besla come from, if Ymir's sweat only gave birth to the three gods Odin, Ville and Ve and no giant females? Perplexing.

Beyond the obvious answer that much of the Lore is lost - thanks to the all-loving Christians - it's wonderful to see the true creation story reported!
Submitted by my hand, at the order of the the most holy Avatar of the god Illuve,
Ms. Aldis Gunnlæif
Ambassador from the Holy Empire of New Illuve to the World Assembly

Aesir and Asynjur, Vanr and Vanir: grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:20 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Riddle me this. Why cant science create life?

Who says it can't?

Wait. I thought science was the end all beat all. Exactly HOW did life began? Random lightning bolts hitting a primeordial soup? Why cant we do that today? We have lighting. We know what was in that primeordeal soup.

Show me any scientific proof that ANYONE, ANYWHERE has created life out of something more basic than one celled organisms.

Didn't we do cloning? You know Dolly the Sheep? Isn't that creating life?

New Limacon
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Limacon » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:21 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

Who says it can't?

Wait. I thought science was the end all beat all. Exactly HOW did life began? Random lightning bolts hitting a primeordial soup? Why cant we do that today? We have lighting. We know what was in that primeordeal soup.

Show me any scientific proof that ANYONE, ANYWHERE has created life out of something more basic than one celled organisms.

Or, you know, ordinary reproduction. That's pretty life-creatin'.
"It is a far, far better thing to have an anchor in nonsense than to push out to the troubled seas of thought."
Gnomeragen wrote:i wasn't argueing over your realigon i was pronocing your stupidity

New Limacon's Watermark of Quality

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:21 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Unless you are absolutely convinced God exists. So, why are you bothering with this little crusade of yours?

Ignorance must be fought wherever it occurs. If it is hopeless, then so be it. It's not like I'm harming myself in any way. If I can convince so much as a single person with my arguments, then that will be one more person relieved of the burden of blind faith in this world, and thus the world will improve, however slightly and locally.

Oh, how cute. :p

Dude, this is NSG. We argue for the sake of arguing, not because we think we'll actually make a difference. Pfft.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Barzan
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Barzan » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:22 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Sadly, yes. I think most people are "too busy" with life to go to Church. Some have been offended. Some are old and have "retired" from Church. To me, as a Mormon, partaking of the Sacrament every Sabbath is a commandment and should not be missed. People tend to lose thier spirituality on a daily bassis so the trend is always decreasing over the week, due to the general nastiness in the world. Going to Church on Sunday (or Synagogue on Sat, or whatever) gives your spirituality a boost, effectively erasing the negativity of the week and allows you to start afresh.

Even from the perspective of those who do believe, I don't see the point of going to church. Any evidence that people "decay" in spirituality over the week?

Actually, there isn't really any requirement about going to church. Two guys talking about God can be church. It's organised religions that try to push political agendas that try and tell you one must attend church.
NOT affiliated with the Free Masons -- Barzan's flag does not incorporate masonic imagery
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -4.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: +1.03
"I have considerably less respect for people who nod and drool as talking heads in a box feed them pre-digested spoonfuls of opinutainment than someone that listens to and discusses with a variety of sources and opinions and then forms their own; regardless of whether I agree with them." - Lunatic Goofballs

New Limacon
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Limacon » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Oh, how cute. :p

Dude, this is NSG. We argue for the sake of arguing, not because we think we'll actually make a difference. Pfft.

Arguing over the Internet has been compared to the act of pleasuring oneself. There is something to that, but I think to really understand forum debates, you have to think of pleasuring oneself while using prophylactics. It's that sterile.
"It is a far, far better thing to have an anchor in nonsense than to push out to the troubled seas of thought."
Gnomeragen wrote:i wasn't argueing over your realigon i was pronocing your stupidity

New Limacon's Watermark of Quality

Gerechtigkeit fur Mann
Attaché

Founded: Oct 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gerechtigkeit fur Mann » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

Who says it can't?

No, that's life derived, rather OBVIOUSLY I might add, from pre-existing life. Are you sure you are not a troll?
98% of all internet users would cry if facebook broke down. If you are the 2% who would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

What right have they to live, they who are other! - Warmaster Lorgar

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:26 pm

New Limacon wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

Who says it can't?

Or, you know, ordinary reproduction. That's pretty life-creatin'.

The requirement was creating life out of something more basic than one celled organisms.
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!
My Website | My Blogs | My Facebook Page

Who is John Galt?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:26 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Oh, how cute. :p

Doing both is always nice. I mean, my opinion has been changed on here several times.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:27 pm

Gerechtigkeit fur Mann wrote:No, that's life derived, rather OBVIOUSLY I might add, from pre-existing life. Are you sure you are not a troll?

That depends on your definition of creation. But that's besides the point; you obviously don't know the definition of a troll and solely like to use it because you think it gives you an aura of superiority.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:27 pm

Gerechtigkeit fur Mann wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

Who says it can't?

No, that's life derived, rather OBVIOUSLY I might add, from pre-existing life. Are you sure you are not a troll?

Ok, how am I a troll?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Ok, how am I a troll?

You have an opinion contrary to his.

Omnicracy
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:29 pm

A yes/no answer will suffice, with appropriate scriptural backing.

If you say yes, what, then, are the criteria for God's choice?

If no, does this mean he doesn't have absolute sovereignty over what happens?

Quick question. If you are a Christian who believes the Bible is flawed, could you still say what you think?

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:30 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Ok, how am I a troll?

You have an opinion contrary to his.

Well KiloMikeAlpha asked if Science has ever created life, and I pointed to cloning. Apparently answering a question is trolling.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Omnicracy wrote:

A yes/no answer will suffice, with appropriate scriptural backing.

If you say yes, what, then, are the criteria for God's choice?

If no, does this mean he doesn't have absolute sovereignty over what happens?

Quick question. If you are a Christian who believes the Bible is flawed, could you still say what you think?

Sure. There are many Christians who belive the Bible to be the Word of God so long as it is translated correctly. The Bible contradicts itself on many occasions. Most of the contradictions are based on points of reference and slight errors in memory, but there are some doctrinally significant errors as well.
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!
My Website | My Blogs | My Facebook Page

Who is John Galt?

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:33 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:The requirement was creating life out of something more basic than one celled organisms.

Well, since sperm and ova are haploid, ordinary reproduction does create life out of something more basic than one celled organisms. ;)

Terascyn
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Terascyn » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:34 pm

Yenke-Bin wrote:
New Limacon wrote:Are you talking about predestination, or just whether God in the end decides who gets to go where?

I believe they would likely go hand in hand, right? God predestines a certain amount of people to become the elect, and the rest go to hell, right?

I believe God is indeed omniscient, therefore, he/He knew who would be worthy to enter heaven ahead of time, but gives people the time to think about it or to completely dispose of the idea and hope like hell that they were correct. Too bad they weren't.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:34 pm

I also love how you're accusing us of bringing up red herrings, when you're the one that brought up whether or not we could make life, as if that has to do with anything.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:34 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Well KiloMikeAlpha asked if Science has ever created life, and I pointed to cloning. Apparently answering a question is trolling.

Only if the answer messes with the way they perceive the world.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General