NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion and Capital Punishment

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:36 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
I forgot your definition of successfully is different than mine.

Are female ligers fertile or not?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:37 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No child is being put in harms way, so this is about as useless a post as picspam.

because everybody loves being dead. Or nonlife.

A child which has never been born is not meaningfully distinguishable from a child which was never conceived to begin with.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:

A child which has never been born is not meaningfully distinguishable from a child which was never conceived to begin with.

2Hard 2understand.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:
I forgot your definition of successfully is different than mine.

Are female ligers fertile or not?

It doesn't change the fact the males don't.
I probably hate everything you stand for. (and on)

My political viewpoint: Social democratic liberal

Why I want to destroy the very fabric of society

New Stephensland
Attaché

Founded: Mar 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Stephensland » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:38 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:This is my favorite post in all of the abortion threads.

And if the mother puts her child in harms way, the courts can intervene and act in loco parentis.

True. And then the entire debate returns to whether or not the fetus is a human being. We must first conclusively and scientifically conclude that it is before we can raise the question of consent.
Economic Left/Right: -3.7
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.8

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:38 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Are female ligers fertile or not?

Cool, so your definition is wrong. Glad you agree.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Solarys
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solarys » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:

Yes it is. Unless things like embryo/fetus exists only as a figment of imagination.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Sorisati wrote:I am Pro-life, just going to say that straight up. But a HUGE point that all of us Pro-Lifers miss is the fact that pro-life doesn't stop after you've saved a fetus/baby. People (and particularly in churches) are far to eager to condemn pro-choice abortion laws and abortion clinics, and then drop the issue. YOU CAN'T STOP THERE. Okay yeah, you saved a life, a baby is now going to grow up and be a child, but in what way? What about that mother who wasn't prepared to have a child and wanted an abortion? Get off you butt, put down your sign now that you've got your way, and help out that mother that you just told to keep her baby rather than abort it. You can't just force her to have her baby and then leave her to her own devices. Why do you think she wanted an abortion in the first place? If you really care about that baby's life that you just saved, then you will support that mother and that child past the abortion law. Otherwise the whole thing was meaningless. Unprepared mothers aren't going to fare too well without the help of some loving and caring people (which is what churches are ultimately called to be). So if you don't want to see legalized abortions, then be prepared to help out all of those single moms who are going to be blessed with a child that you just fought to save. Being pro-life is more than being anti-abortion.

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/current ... i-abortion

Too bad for you that (most) people who are pro-life are people who don't want to help in the first place.

Take the Republican Party.

Pro-life, but after that kid is born, the party is like "Fuck you, got mine"

No welfare, no food stamps, no public education, no support for the mother. They don't care about the life of that child until they reach military age. And the they send that kid to a needless war so they can die.

You'll have a but of trouble finding people who care after the kid is born.
Forever a Communist

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:

Cool, so your definition is wrong. Glad you agree.

Yes I agree, are you happy now? :clap: :)
I probably hate everything you stand for. (and on)

My political viewpoint: Social democratic liberal

Why I want to destroy the very fabric of society

The Crimson Horde Khanate
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Crimson Horde Khanate » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Both are disgusting if used improperly.

For example, Abortion can only be justified as a non-aggressive act if it is rape. Even consensual inbreeding is still consensual in making a child through voluntary sex.

Capital punishment should not be used all the time. Only if it is so bad that the person's life is a threat to the life of others at all times. Otherwise, taking a life is neither punishment nor justice. Justice would serve the affected, and punishment would have to be noticable. Death doesn't allow the punished to actually use their punishment and try to fix things to the best of their ability.

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:
Considering I only conceded the point to move along the debate, and the fact my definition was sound, as ligers rarely successfully interbreed to produce fertile offspring, and when they do, they can't carry on a lineage, I couldn't care less, and as you seem to consider no forms of your own, resort purely to pathos, and Fox News tactics of taking a post and cutting out two thirds of it, I stopped believing anything you said five pages ago.

The biological species concept was developed by Ernst Mayr, in 1942. Here it is, as first formulated, and quoted in Douglas J. Futuyma's EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY (1998): "Species are groups of actually or potentially interbreeding populations that are reproductively isolated from other such groups". The "reproductive isolation" can be genetic (non-fertility), geographic, or behavioral; there is NO criteria that says (as is commonly believed) that if two populations can interbreed they are the SAME species. There is NO criteria that says that two distinct species CAN'T interbreed. Consider the example of wolves, coyotes and dogs: three distinct species that can interbreed. In fact, all species of the genus Canis can mate and produce fertile offspring (Wayne et al., 1997, re: A. P. Gray, Mammalian Hybrids).

so yeah you're fucking wrong.

Ivain please address this.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Solarys wrote:
Tlaceceyaya wrote:A child which has never been born is not meaningfully distinguishable from a child which was never conceived to begin with.

Yes it is. Unless things like embryo/fetus exists only as a figment of imagination.

I said meaningfully distinguishable. As in, more than just a clump of cells which never had thoughts, emotions, experiences or relationships and was purely parasitic on a nonconsenting host.
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Seitonjin
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Seitonjin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Sorisati wrote:I am Pro-life, just going to say that straight up. But a HUGE point that all of us Pro-Lifers miss is the fact that pro-life doesn't stop after you've saved a fetus/baby. People (and particularly in churches) are far to eager to condemn pro-choice abortion laws and abortion clinics, and then drop the issue. YOU CAN'T STOP THERE. Okay yeah, you saved a life, a baby is now going to grow up and be a child, but in what way? What about that mother who wasn't prepared to have a child and wanted an abortion? Get off you butt, put down your sign now that you've got your way, and help out that mother that you just told to keep her baby rather than abort it. You can't just force her to have her baby and then leave her to her own devices. Why do you think she wanted an abortion in the first place? If you really care about that baby's life that you just saved, then you will support that mother and that child past the abortion law. Otherwise the whole thing was meaningless. Unprepared mothers aren't going to fare too well without the help of some loving and caring people (which is what churches are ultimately called to be). So if you don't want to see legalized abortions, then be prepared to help out all of those single moms who are going to be blessed with a child that you just fought to save. Being pro-life is more than being anti-abortion.

Sums up my views nicely too.

Blasveck wrote:

Too bad for you that (most) people who are pro-life are people who don't want to help in the first place.

No welfare, no food stamps, no public education, no support for the mother. They don't care about the life of that child until they reach military age. And the they send that kid to a needless war so they can die.

The Republicans fail. A lot.
Seitonjin Jesangkut

The Crimson Horde Khanate
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Crimson Horde Khanate » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Blasveck wrote:

Typical of Republicans to do so. They only oppose Abortion because they like to force religion onto others. Disgusting.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:42 pm

The Crimson Horde Khanate wrote:Both are disgusting if used improperly.

For example, Abortion can only be justified as a non-aggressive act if it is rape. Even consensual inbreeding is still consensual in making a child through voluntary sex.

Capital punishment should not be used all the time. Only if it is so bad that the person's life is a threat to the life of others at all times. Otherwise, taking a life is neither punishment nor justice. Justice would serve the affected, and punishment would have to be noticable. Death doesn't allow the punished to actually use their punishment and try to fix things to the best of their ability.

Consent to sex is not consent to pregnancy. We've established this before.

I mea, unless consent to cooking is consent to fire.
Forever a Communist

Arcadiana
Attaché

Founded: Nov 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arcadiana » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:42 pm

The "women having sovereignty over their own body" argument often made by the pro choice camp is absurd...why should the sovereignty of a woman extend beyond her own body into a fetus and into the pocket of the man. She is essentially the arbiter of the entire child making process and for what reason?

Solarys
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solarys » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Blasveck wrote:Too bad for you that (most) people who are pro-life are people who don't want to help in the first place.

Unfortunately this happens to be true.

Sorisati
Envoy

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorisati » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Blasveck wrote:

Exactly my point. It's wrong. For the record I'm Canadian so I'm not up on your party politics. But no you're absolutely right and that was my exact point. If people want to be pro-life, then they have to be prepared to take care of the lives they just saved. Otherwise they shouldn't be talking.
Last edited by Sorisati on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. - John 8:7

Pro: Empathy, The Bible, Religious Freedom, Responsible Environmental & Resource Management, Equality, Community

Anti: Crony Capitalism, Colonialism, Mega-Corporate Agriculture

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Seitonjin
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Seitonjin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Sorisati wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

Exactly my point. It's wrong. For the record I'm Canadian so I'm not up on your party politics. But no you're absolutely right and that was my exact point. If people want to be pro-life, then they have to be prepared to take care of the lives they just saved.

YES!

Marry me. :hug: :meh:
Seitonjin Jesangkut

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:44 pm

Arcadiana wrote:The "women having sovereignty over their own body" argument often made by the pro choice camp is absurd...why should the sovereignty of a woman extend beyond her own body into a fetus and into the pocket of the man. She is essentially the arbiter of the entire child making process and for what reason?

Beyond her own body into a fetus?
The fetus is within her body. That's the entire point.
Also, Bonobos.

Arcadiana
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Arcadiana » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:44 pm

also this

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:44 pm

Solarys wrote:
Blasveck wrote:Too bad for you that (most) people who are pro-life are people who don't want to help in the first place.

Unfortunately this happens to be true.

I MIGHT be pro-life if this wasn't true.
Forever a Communist

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:44 pm

I have yet to read an actual response to my posts besides "I'm gonna pretend I couldn't understand your posts."

Arcadiana
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Arcadiana » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:45 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:
Arcadiana wrote:The "women having sovereignty over their own body" argument often made by the pro choice camp is absurd...why should the sovereignty of a woman extend beyond her own body into a fetus and into the pocket of the man. She is essentially the arbiter of the entire child making process and for what reason?

Beyond her own body into a fetus?
The fetus is within her body. That's the entire point.

So I guess I should be able to kill a child in my car because it is in my car following that logic.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:45 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:I have yet to read an actual response to my posts besides "I'm gonna pretend I couldn't understand your posts."

I haven't seen your posts.

What were they?
Forever a Communist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General