NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion and Capital Punishment

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:58 pm

The Norgan Alliance wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
No, but fetuses are.

They're both, biologically, a parasite.

An neither of them can give consent.

So, what makes it okay to remove a tapeworm without consent, but not a fetus?

Fetuses are different in one way though, they grow into something useful to society. I agree that fetuses are technically parasites, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily bad. Fetuses are only like tapeworms if they only stayed for 9 months, and would constantly give you love and presents well into your retirement years.

Except that not all babies grow up to give you love and presents, and the psychological trauma of carrying an unwanted fetus for nine months is probably not worth it.
piss

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:59 pm

Blasveck wrote:
No, but fetuses are.

They're both, biologically, a parasite.

An neither of them can give consent.

So, what makes it okay to remove a tapeworm without consent, but not a fetus?

Fetuses are different in one way though, they grow into something useful to society. I agree that fetuses are technically parasites, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily bad. Fetuses are only like tapeworms if they only stayed for 9 months, and would constantly give you love and presents well into your retirement years.

What makes you think that the child will be better off in a household that didnt even want them?

"The child can be put up for adoption"

And then the child will be subject to a broken and bloated system, inclined to crime.

Better to end it than let the child live a life of suffering.
Forever a Communist

The Norgan Alliance
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norgan Alliance » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
The Norgan Alliance wrote:Are you saying humans are the equivalent to tapeworms?

Fetuses are not yet humans. In the majority of their development (save for I would think the third trimester), they are essentially parasites. So, fetuses are the equivalent of tapeworms.

Do tapeworms leave by themselves and shower you with love until you die if you show them a little kindness?
Call me Norga and I'll give you a cookie
|No Left Turn|
"When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons." ~ Principle Scudworth, 2003
The Liberated Territories wrote:Ancestry: Murican
Ethnicity: Murican
Race: Murican

Murica

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:
If they're human, they have to give and have consent.

No they don't. I don't need your consent to use deadly force if you attempt to take my kidney.

Yet I need to have your consent to take it. The same goes, if you consent to me having your kidney, and three weeks after its implanted in me, you can't take it back.
I probably hate everything you stand for. (and on)

My political viewpoint: Social democratic liberal

Why I want to destroy the very fabric of society

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:Fetuses are not yet humans. In the majority of their development (save for I would think the third trimester), they are essentially parasites. So, fetuses are the equivalent of tapeworms.

Do tapeworms leave by themselves and shower you with love until you die if you show them a little kindness?

Yes.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:Fetuses are not yet humans. In the majority of their development (save for I would think the third trimester), they are essentially parasites. So, fetuses are the equivalent of tapeworms.

Are you implying that every human actually does that? The majority of my relatives are quite unlike that.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:01 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No they don't. I don't need your consent to use deadly force if you attempt to take my kidney.

Yet I need to have your consent to take it.

Right. And the fetus doesn't have the consent of the mother. Glad you agree with me.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Do children?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:
And produce fertile offspring, my bad, again.

Still fucking wrong. Homo erectus and Homo sapiens are different species.

Nope, here your wrong, I'm afraid, we are the same species with Neanderthals, and there's evidence to show interbreeding here, and are you saying species can't interbreed and have fertile offspring?

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:03 pm

Blasveck wrote:
The Norgan Alliance wrote:Fetuses are different in one way though, they grow into something useful to society. I agree that fetuses are technically parasites, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily bad. Fetuses are only like tapeworms if they only stayed for 9 months, and would constantly give you love and presents well into your retirement years.

What makes you think that the child will be better off in a household that didnt even want them?

"The child can be put up for adoption"

And then the child will be subject to a broken and bloated system, inclined to crime.

Better to end it than let the child live a life of suffering.

Did you see this? I hope you saw it.
Forever a Communist

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:04 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:
Yet I need to have your consent to take it.

Right. And the fetus doesn't have the consent of the mother. Glad you agree with me.

Nice cutting job again, I'm glad to see your forced to resort to the Fox News equivalent of debating.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:04 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Nope, here your wrong, I'm afraid, we are the same species with Neanderthals,

Please tell me you're joking.

This is Homo neanderthalis.

THIS is Homo erectus.

Again, what the fuck did you learn in Biology?
The ivain isles wrote: and are you saying species can't interbreed and have fertile offspring?

No, I'm saying you don't know how to actually define the word species.

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:05 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Still fucking wrong. Homo erectus and Homo sapiens are different species.

Nope, here your wrong, I'm afraid, we are the same species with Neanderthals, and there's evidence to show interbreeding here, and are you saying species can't interbreed and have fertile offspring?

Same Genus, different species. It is possible for two different species in the same genus to interbreed with DNA that is very similar. But still different species. Plz lern 2 sciens.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:05 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Right. And the fetus doesn't have the consent of the mother. Glad you agree with me.

Nice cutting job again

So what, do you not have an actual refutation?

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:05 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
The Norgan Alliance wrote:Do tapeworms leave by themselves and shower you with love until you die if you show them a little kindness?

Do children?

Robin Samsoe didn't. ;)

The Norgan Alliance
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Norgan Alliance » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
The Norgan Alliance wrote:Do tapeworms leave by themselves and shower you with love until you die if you show them a little kindness?

Do children?

Yes, most of the time.
|No Left Turn|
"When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons." ~ Principle Scudworth, 2003

Murica

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:Do children?

Yes, most of the time.

Source or bust.
Because I don't see "most" children doing that.
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:
Nice cutting job again

So what, do you not have an actual refutation?

If there's one thing Fox News has showed me, it's that there's no point debating somebody who choses lives in an alternate universe of their own choosing, and ignore everything else that's happening around them.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:So what, do you not have an actual refutation?

If there's one thing Fox News has showed me, it's that there's no point debating somebody who choses lives in an alternate universe of their own choosing, and ignore everything else that's happening around them.

Precisely, which is why it's strange why I'm debating you. You've done nothing but repeat the same shit over and over and in the face of being demonstrated wrong, you shout, "NOPE!"

Also, just so you don't conveniently ignore this:
Mavorpen wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:
Nope, here your wrong, I'm afraid, we are the same species with Neanderthals,

Please tell me you're joking.

THIS is Homo erectus.

The ivain isles wrote: and are you saying species can't interbreed and have fertile offspring?

Last edited by Mavorpen on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 pm

The ivain isles wrote:

If there's one thing Fox News has showed me, it's that people who watch Fox News are often incapable of debate.

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 pm

The ivain isles wrote:

I get it now.

Goddamn you, Poe's law.

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:

Same Genus, different species. It is possible for two different species in the same genus to interbreed with DNA that is very similar. But still different species. Plz lern 2 sciens.

A1 in HLbio, and your ignoring the to produce fertile offspring.

The Norgan Alliance
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Norgan Alliance » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:
The Norgan Alliance wrote:Yes, most of the time.

Source or bust.
Because I don't see "most" children doing that.

This is something you can't source, its all from personal experience. I suppose this point goes to you. :(
|No Left Turn|

Murica

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:13 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Same Genus, different species. It is possible for two different species in the same genus to interbreed with DNA that is very similar. But still different species. Plz lern 2 sciens.

A1 in HLbio, and your ignoring the to produce fertile offspring.

HOMO ERECTUS:
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Family: Hominidae
Genus: Homo
Species: H. erectus

HOMO NEANDERTALENSIS:
Species: H. neanderthalensis

HOMO SAPIENS:
Tribe: Hominini
Species: H. sapiens

You're clearly not as good at biology as you think you are.

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:

Precisely, which is why it's strange why I'm debating you. You've done nothing but repeat the same shit over and over and in the face of being demonstrated wrong, you shout, "NOPE!"

Also, just so you don't conveniently ignore this:
Mavorpen wrote:Please tell me you're joking.

THIS is Homo erectus.

Coming from a guy who thinks the dead can reproduce, that's rich.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General