NATION

PASSWORD

KONY 2012

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Joseph Kony is the lunatic/mass murdering scum bag who runs the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Death Metal wrote:Still less of an Un-American radical than Ron Paul is. And just as electable.

Er, Ron Paul isn't that insane.

Nah, Paul's crazier.

It goes Ron Paul > Hannibal Lecter > Elizabeth Bathory > Joseph Kony > The Joker > Charles Manson
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Death Metal wrote:

Nah, Paul's crazier.

It goes Ron Paul > Hannibal Lecter > Elizabeth Bathory > Joseph Kony > The Joker > Charles Manson

Dude I don't really care for the man, but extreme exaggerations don't help your case.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:10 pm

Death Metal wrote:

Nah, Paul's crazier.

Nah.
Paul is Mostly Harmless, like a tottering old racist grandfather. Sure, he spouts some weird and outdated bullshit, but he means well and it's not like he can hurt anything.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Planeta de los Muertos
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Planeta de los Muertos » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 pm

This madman cannot be allowed to walk the streets. Bring him in for justice!
A young merc terminally ill with cancer, I signed on for a government "human weapon" program: Weapon X. They got rid of the cancer like they promised...sorta...by melding an advanced healing factor to it. The gruesome experiments left me physically and mentally scarred, so they put me in a mental ward where the guards held a dead pool. I escaped and rose to infamy, partly a hero.

For falling in love with a physical avatar of Death, I was cursed with life. I pissed off a divine power so that I could be with her again, but it failed. After I got struck down by some powerful lighting, I came back to life...as a breathing corpse. Fuck.
Niece: Hetalia Dakota
Chaotic neutral til I'm gone for good!

I wrote:Bitch, please!

Hossaim
Minister

Founded: Oct 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hossaim » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Im definantely buying some posters then posting them at school and then handing some out at my local mall.
Hossaim Family of F7
Nicolas Hossaim (Headmaster of Waverly Academy)
Jamie Hossaim (wife of Nicolas Hossaim)
Steven Hossaim (Son of Nicolas Hossaim, Court Wizard of Castle Talos)
Mark Hossaim (Son of Nicolas Hossaim, Necromancer at F7 Graveyard)

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Norstal wrote:Our, or at least my, politicians are already doing something about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_R ... covery_Act

This is probably one of those things where an open war (e.g Iraq War) would not help anything.

Yes, and the fantastically stupid thing was that when that was announced, Obama sending troops there, people were going "derr, Obama=Bush/Texas Hitler."

Uh, no, the criticism he got was from Republicans accusing him of being a secret Muslim out to persecute honest Christians.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:47 pm

Well, insanity =/= ability to act on that insanity. Otherwise the list would be far different.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Anglynova
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglynova » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:49 pm

The sad truth about military reaction is that if some sort of incursion to get this guy were to occur, there'd most likely be child casualties.

I hope he is brought to justice in the least violent manner, especially if it involves a trial. But when someone surrounds himself with brainwashed kids with guns, I think the situation becomes more difficult than "Let's just put a bullet in his head."

Some sort of special operation would be necessary, but I won't pretend to know anything about special operations.

My two cents.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, most conflicts will involve a certain degree of child casualties as collateral damage. But the difference here would be that soldiers would be most likely forced to shoot at child soldiers.
Last edited by Anglynova on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:05 pm

The Corparation wrote:Already a thread.

You linked to this thread. ;)
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

Norstal wrote:You are a hatiater: one who radiates hate.

Meryuma wrote:No one is more of a cat person than 1000 Cats!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.
Factbook/Q&A | RP | Conlang | Short Story

Terruana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terruana » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:09 pm

1000 Cats wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

Thought I would post this here and see what NSG thinks. I'm typically very non-interventionist, but a couple things about this fellow as presented in this documentary have furrowed my brow. For one thing, his only cause in abducting these tens of thousands of children seems to be to retain the power he currently has - not political, just military strength. For another, the only reason people like this exist is because of current international intervention going off the record: this isn't mentioned in the film, but Uganda does not manufacture Soviet and American arms.

Anyway, a very well-done video, whatever your stance, and I highly recommend everyone watch it whether or not it incites you to the action the documentary is suggesting. It says some very interesting things about our globalized world, especially through social networking, and what it means for us when it comes to issues like this, especially in how we can deal with it as individuals who are not in politics or relevant professional fields. It'd be neat to see some discussion on that too. Can the internet, when used properly, incite effective action on this level?

I think this could be the start of something great. I'm looking at a Facebook event for "Cover the night" in my home city in the south of England, and it has 189 attending, and 4532 invited. Needless to say, I will be attending. It seems to me that this is an excellent example of how the internet can be used to do good.
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Self Aware Sock Puppets
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Self Aware Sock Puppets » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Ahh, Joseph Kony.

So the point of this is to raise awareness about Joseph Kony, a rat scum rebel leader in Uganda who abducts children from their homes and forces them to fight in his army. Thing is, he's been doing this for 20 years, and he's gone virtually unnoticed. Also, he's not fighting for democracy, or religion, no. According to a report, the only reason he's doing this is to maintain power.

So they started an organization. It grew to thousands of people and eventually they went to Congress and met congress people of both parties. All of them agreed hunting down Joseph Kony was a priority. So they spoke about it...

And finally, sometime in October of last year...they got a message from President Obama saying that he was authorized to send 100 US troops to Uganda to help track him down. Sounds like a happy ending, right?

Well...apparently Joseph Kony changed his tactics after he heard the US is after him, and unless Washington can see the public wants to see Kony apprehended((By the International Court, by the way. Not the US, just to clear up some misconceptions...)). Obviously, everyone would like to see this pathetic excuse for a human being captured, but they don't know about him.

This video is to tell us what we can do to help, and it's picking up steam. We actually have a chance to make a difference here, guys. Reaally. :)

Krala Sau
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Krala Sau » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:55 pm

*Watches video*

So, why should I care?

Stopping him won't benefit me.
I don't know anyone who this man had an effect on.
I've never heard of him.
I don't know any of those children.

There is absolutely no reason why I should care about this issue.
And yet... I do care. I want to help.
There is no reason for me to, and yet I want to.
Perhaps I do have a heart, after all.
They shall have my support.
San Leggera wrote:There's no black and white. Only grey.

A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist.
-Stewart Alsop
Left/Right: -5.75
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.62
Can you think inside a chimney?
National Factbook (WIP)
DEFCON 5
High Select David
Lower Select Warren
People's Few: Jarl James, Jarl Benjamin, Jarl George, Jarl Martin, Jarl Puddinghead
Jormengand wrote:Ko'ra'la Si'oh, meaning water snake girl's light.

1000 Cats wrote:Kráhíyas:sù - The First Bird Cries.

Haydn wrote:Krala Sau means 'Warrior' in Haydanian. (Richin Tau)

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Krala Sau wrote:*Watches video*

So, why should I care?

Stopping him won't benefit me.
I don't know anyone who this man had an effect on.
I've never heard of him.
I don't know any of those children.

There is absolutely no reason why I should care about this issue.
And yet... I do care. I want to help.
There is no reason for me to, and yet I want to.
Perhaps I do have a heart, after all.
They shall have my support.

Approved. :)
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:56 pm

I am honestly of the opinion we should give him the Islamic Terrorist treatment. Hellfire missile from 25,000ft.

1000 Cats wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Already a thread.

You linked to this thread. ;)

Threads got merged.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:51 pm

1000 Cats wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

Thought I would post this here and see what NSG thinks. I'm typically very non-interventionist, but a couple things about this fellow as presented in this documentary have furrowed my brow. For one thing, his only cause in abducting these tens of thousands of children seems to be to retain the power he currently has - not political, just military strength. For another, the only reason people like this exist is because of current international intervention going off the record: this isn't mentioned in the film, but Uganda does not manufacture Soviet and American arms.

Anyway, a very well-done video, whatever your stance, and I highly recommend everyone watch it whether or not it incites you to the action the documentary is suggesting. It says some very interesting things about our globalized world, especially through social networking, and what it means for us when it comes to issues like this, especially in how we can deal with it as individuals who are not in politics or relevant professional fields. It'd be neat to see some discussion on that too. Can the internet, when used properly, incite effective action on this level?

I'd watch it, but on a personal level it'll be bad for my internet.

The internet can incite action. It can be on a large scale and be effective. However, in this case I don't think it will do enough. Kony is simply not infamous enough. I wouldn't be surprised if he is already dead and someone else now operates the LRA maintaining the illusion.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:55 pm

The Corparation wrote:I am honestly of the opinion we should give him the Islamic Terrorist treatment. Hellfire missile from 25,000ft.

1000 Cats wrote:You linked to this thread. ;)

Threads got merged.

OK. I was worried there for a moment.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:23 am

Ha, I was so close to making my own thread about this...

Anyway, I definitely support the US getting involved and think that perhaps other countries ought to as well. (I've begun petitioning the New Zealand government to send our army, whose name is Jeff, over to help the Ugandans.)

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:27 am

Radiatia wrote:Ha, I was so close to making my own thread about this...

It would have been the fifth. ;)

Vortiaganica
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 am

Radiatia wrote:Ha, I was so close to making my own thread about this...

Anyway, I definitely support the US getting involved and think that perhaps other countries ought to as well. (I've begun petitioning the New Zealand government to send our army, whose name is Jeff, over to help the Ugandans.)

Who names a sheep Jeff?

Srsly though, I approve.

I support children who take future employment opportunities into consideration during their early education, but this is a wee bit too far.
The Grim Reaper in Disguise

Costa Fiero
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fiero » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:33 am

So there is now an internet campaign to arrest Joseph Kony. Tell me, why exactly is this man more deserving of an arrest warrant than the Pope or Khameni?

Vortiaganica
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:36 am

Costa Fiero wrote:So there is now an internet campaign to arrest Joseph Kony. Tell me, why exactly is this man more deserving of an arrest warrant than the Pope or Khameni?

Because the Pope and Khameni don't kidnap children and force them to use automatic weaponry such as rifles against enemies of the state as full-time alternatives to an adult volunteer militia.
The Grim Reaper in Disguise

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:39 am

Costa Fiero wrote:So there is now an internet campaign to arrest Joseph Kony. Tell me, why exactly is this man more deserving of an arrest warrant than the Pope or Khameni?

His crimes are more direct. That is to say, things are clearer with him. Also he's the head of a major and unabashedly bad disruptive force.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Costa Fiero
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fiero » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:43 am

Vortiaganica wrote:Because the Pope and Khameni don't kidnap children and force them to use automatic weaponry such as rifles against enemies of the state as full-time alternatives to an adult volunteer militia.

So we're not issuing arrest warrants to the governments of Rwanda, Democratic Republic of Congo and other countries for actively deploying child soliders? Are we not going to arrest the leaders of communist guerilla group FARC for actively using child soldiers in attacks against regular Colombian forces?

Something tells me arresting Kony won't make a difference at all.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General