NATION

PASSWORD

Sea Shepherd Supported Activists arrested by Japan Whaler

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Ovisterra wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:
By the same right, those who escalate the conflict into a life threatening one can't complain when it's their lives which become the most threatened.

They can though. Let's say one person embarks on a killing spree (victims represent whales). 2nd person, a police officer or armed bystander, steps in to defend the helpless victims with force(this person represents the SS). Is person one in the right if they they respond with deadly force to person 2? Of course not. Two wrongs and a wrong that is unfortunately necessary don't make three rights (but three rights make a left).

The sea shepherds aren't even remotely equivalent to police officers nor are they the equivalent of armed bystanders.
What the whalers are doing is legal.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:
They can though. Let's say one person embarks on a killing spree (victims represent whales). 2nd person, a police officer or armed bystander, steps in to defend the helpless victims with force(this person represents the SS). Is person one in the right if they they respond with deadly force to person 2? Of course not. Two wrongs and a wrong that is unfortunately necessary don't make three rights (but three rights make a left).

The sea shepherds aren't even remotely equivalent to police officers nor are they the equivalent of armed bystanders.

But immoral. If the law can't protect whales, it is not a good set of laws.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Shinjitai
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shinjitai » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Ovisterra wrote:
By the same right, those who escalate the conflict into a life threatening one can't complain when it's their lives which become the most threatened.

Japanese mainly hunt minke whale, which aren't endangered.
Lemme redirect you to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acnebe31RIo I hope everyone watches this video. So the Japanese legally hunt whales and that^ is their response? setting fire to japanese ships, throwing bombs and flares onto the ship, snarling the engine propellers, driving infront of them and ramming their ships, shooting guns and lasers etc..
The SS are terrorists. Simple as.
Last edited by Shinjitai on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Rebecca Black on Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 103 times in total.
★Shinjitai ★
Factbook
SHK News.
☆-Awesome-izing Nation States since 2009-☆
Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon.
また、ボノボ

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Ovisterra wrote:

Let's say one person tries to hunt a deer, with proper permits and tags. You shoot at him because you disagree with his moral positions.

You are now a criminal. Deal with it.

One wrong doesn't make a right, and hunting whales is not wrong. It is legal and morally justifiable.

Ovisterra wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:The sea shepherds aren't even remotely equivalent to police officers nor are they the equivalent of armed bystanders.

Okay, now this has to be satire.

Good show, sir. Good show. You had me thinking you were serious.
Last edited by The Soviet Technocracy on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Ovisterra wrote:But immoral. If the law can't protect whales, it is not a good set of laws.

I contend that bacteria are not properly protected by our set of modern 'laws', thus, they are immoral.

Or it could be that the purpose of the law is not to protect whales.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Shinjitai wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

Japanese hunt minke whale, which aren't endangered.
Lemme redirect you to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acnebe31RIo I hope everyone watches this video. So the Japanese legally hunt whales and that^ is their response? setting fire to japanese ships, throwing bombs and flares onto the ship, snarling the engine propellers, driving infront of them and ramming their ships, shooting guns and lasers etc..

Terrorists, or freedom fighters? Neither? Both? Terrorist is a nasty way of saying freedom fighters. The reverse is also true.

But I digress. The Japanese Minke Whale (technically just a Minke Whale) may not be endangered, but they are still being needlessly slaughtered. For what? What good has come of their slaughter?
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Ovisterra wrote:
Shinjitai wrote:This is even worse... Look how they're flying the pirate flag.

First one is likely accidental. Why would an experienced captain do something so stupid? It does just as much damage to his own ship.

Second seems to contain no collision.

There was an obvious collision in the second video, at around 1:14 in.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:But immoral. If the law can't protect whales, it is not a good set of laws.

I contend that bacteria are not properly protected by our set of modern 'laws', thus, they are immoral.

Or it could be that the purpose of the law is not to protect whales.

It should be, from where I stand.

One of the many reasons I am not in parliament.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Ovisterra wrote:Terrorists, or freedom fighters? Neither? Both? Terrorist is a nasty way of saying freedom fighters. The reverse is also true.

No.

A Freedom Fighter may be a terrorist, but he doesn't have to be a terrorist. Likewise, a Terrorist may be a freedom fighter, but more oft than not, he isn't.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:
First one is likely accidental. Why would an experienced captain do something so stupid? It does just as much damage to his own ship.

Second seems to contain no collision.

There was an obvious collision in the second video, at around 1:14 in.

Yeah, I accidentally skipped over that. We've acknowledged that I'm either blind, stupid or both and moved along.

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Ovisterra wrote:
Shinjitai wrote:Japanese hunt minke whale, which aren't endangered.

Terrorists, or freedom fighters? Neither? Both? Terrorist is a nasty way of saying freedom fighters. The reverse is also true.

But I digress. The Japanese Minke Whale (technically just a Minke Whale) may not be endangered, but they are still being needlessly slaughtered. For what? What good has come of their slaughter?

Money, and people get to eat them.

That's really reason enough.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Ovisterra wrote:Terrorists, or freedom fighters? Neither? Both? Terrorist is a nasty way of saying freedom fighters. The reverse is also true.

No.

A Freedom Fighter may be a terrorist, but he doesn't have to be a terrorist. Likewise, a Terrorist may be a freedom fighter, but more oft than not, he isn't.

Ah, but who defines who is either?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Ovisterra wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:The sea shepherds aren't even remotely equivalent to police officers nor are they the equivalent of armed bystanders.

Prove that your moral code is the right one.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Ovisterra wrote:It should be, from where I stand.

One of the many reasons I am not in parliament.

I'm quite grateful for that.

Sorratsin
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorratsin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Ovisterra wrote:

Tell me, how do you expect civil society to function when people can ignore laws they don't like and enforce non-existing laws arbitrarily?

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

Prove that your moral code is the right one.

I have no proof. There is no right one. There is no wrong one. Bad and Good, Right and Wrong, they're all subjective.

In the absence of any true moral code, I shall proceed according to the only one I am able to: My one.

You people use yours, but you are free to borrow mine if you need or want it.

Shinjitai
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shinjitai » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Ovisterra wrote:
Shinjitai wrote:Japanese hunt minke whale, which aren't endangered.

Food, materials, research....

How many are killed? couple hundred a year...

Whereas in the west, how many chickens pigs and cows are killed a year? Hundreds of millions, dare i even say billion? what good has come from that?
Last edited by Rebecca Black on Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 103 times in total.
★Shinjitai ★
Factbook
SHK News.
☆-Awesome-izing Nation States since 2009-☆
Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon.
また、ボノボ

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Sorratsin wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

Tell me, how do you expect civil society to function when people can ignore laws they don't like and enforce non-existing laws arbitrarily?

It probably won't function. Call me a pessimist, but humans rarely do anything right.

I guess that makes me an anarchist.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Ovisterra wrote:1. Stuff can and will go wrong on boats a lot, especially when two are close together like that.

And why would they be close together like that, hmm? An "experienced sailor" like Watson would surely know that approaching a large vessel like that in the first place is a Very Bad Idea.TM Besides, they mark their ships with symbols of the whaling vessels they've attacked. Were those all accidents too?
Ovisterra wrote:2. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It doesn't make sense. No one who knew anything about anything would do such a thing. It's risky to your own boat, whether or not you give a toss about the other.

Which is probably why Watson and his crew are complete maniacs.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Shinjitai wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

Food, materials, research....

Ah, so you admit that it is not simply research, and by extension, that the Japanese whalers blatantly lied to us?

Goober Kingdom
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Goober Kingdom » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:45 pm

For boarding another vessel = ILLEGALLY = they should be arrested. Just because these... "activists" (more like extremists, honestly) have a reasonable cause to protest something that is totally legal in Japan, doesn't mean that they should get any leniency.
Goober Kingdom
Enim Bonum Populi
DEFCON Level: 1 2 3 4 | 5 |
Peacetime Readiness

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:1. Stuff can and will go wrong on boats a lot, especially when two are close together like that.

And why would they be close together like that, hmm? An "experienced sailor" like Watson would surely know that approaching a large vessel like that in the first place is a Very Bad Idea.TM Besides, they mark their ships with symbols of the whaling vessels they've attacked. Were those all accidents too?
Ovisterra wrote:2. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It doesn't make sense. No one who knew anything about anything would do such a thing. It's risky to your own boat, whether or not you give a toss about the other.

Indeed. As you may or may not know though, I admitted they ram things every so often, and we've moved on to bashing my principles because they make no sense.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Ovisterra wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:And why would they be close together like that, hmm? An "experienced sailor" like Watson would surely know that approaching a large vessel like that in the first place is a Very Bad Idea.TM Besides, they mark their ships with symbols of the whaling vessels they've attacked. Were those all accidents too?

Indeed. As you may or may not know though, I admitted they ram things every so often, and we've moved on to bashing my principles because they make no sense.

Well it would follow that Watson is a horrible seafarer as you yourself admitted that no one in his right mind would do such a thing.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Ovisterra wrote:Ah, but who defines who is either?

Find definition of terrorism (There are a few).

Apply to all individuals and groups in question.

Some will come out as purely Freedom Fighters (Ahmad Shah Massoud), others as terrorists and freedom fighters (Most Mujahideen), others as solely terrorists (The Taliban).

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Ovisterra wrote:Ah, but who defines who is either?

Find definition of terrorism (There are a few).

Apply to all individuals and groups in question.

Some will come out as purely Freedom Fighters (Ahmad Shah Massoud), others as terrorists and freedom fighters (Most Mujahideen), others as solely terrorists (The Taliban).

What is this definition? I found:

the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

Hmm. Now that is interesting. That means most governments are terrorist organizations.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General