NATION

PASSWORD

Sea Shepherd Supported Activists arrested by Japan Whaler

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:22 pm

Wiztopia wrote:The Sea Shepherds are nothing but terrorists anyway.

Paul Watson recently said, regarding such silly comments, "arrest me or shut up"

I think it's good advice. If you have information that you believe the governments do not have I suggest you forward it to an appropriate law enforcement agency. Otherwise admit you're full of it and/or just stop making claims like this.
Did you see a ghost?

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Natapoc wrote:
If your beliefs are irrelevant then why does your stated belief that some international court of law must first prove that it's not research first? Is that not a belief of yours also? Why is it any less irrelevant than your belief about the legitimacy of their excuse that they are somehow engaging in "research"?

Also... extremist groups? The extremists are the ones who are engaging in violence against sentient beings and pillaging the ocean, namely the whalers.

The extremists must be stopped. The whalers must be prevented from causing such wanton destruction of life. Those who attempt to prevent such violence are true heroes.

The Sea Shepherds are extremists by your own definition. They are engaging in violence against sentient beings, namely the whalers. Also, their letting the Ady Gil sink instead of towing it back to a port, and their use of diesel engines is causing damage to the ocean.

Not at all. Sea Shepherd is not at all engaging in wanton destruction of life nor are they pillaging the ocean.
Did you see a ghost?

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:26 pm

The Soviet Technocracy wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:of course. whales are intelligent, self-aware creatures. we are not driven to hunt them by necessity nor do they pose any threat to us. assuming meat eating and hunting are morally legitimate activities (and i think they are), whales are quite obviously not the sort of things we can legitimately hunt. likewise for the great apes. any standard broad enough to protect those humans we deem most deserving of special protection will necessarily cover other beings such as whales.

i was under the impression the reason bonobos and other apes were not hunted weren't because they necessarily highly intelligent, but primarily because they were related to humans.

That would be a silly reason to hunt one species and not another since all animals are related to humans via a common ancestor.
Did you see a ghost?

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
TFF wrote:
Protected international waters established by the International Whaling Commission (IWC) in 1994 as a safe haven for whales and which the japanese continue to ignore and commercially whale ...even though its prohibited.

Sorry, but they're operating under IWC approved permits. In other words, what the whalers are doing is perfectly legal... Unlike what the activists are doing...

If the activists are doing something illegal you should inform their respective government law enforcement agencies. For you to be able to back up your claim you would need to be in possession of evidence unavailable to governments of the world including the united states, Canada, the UK, and Australia.

But if you don't have any information other than the trash you read online or see on your TV then I see no reason why anyone should take what you say seriously.
Did you see a ghost?

Willynillya
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Willynillya » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
TFF wrote:
Protected international waters established by the International Whaling Commission (IWC) in 1994 as a safe haven for whales and which the japanese continue to ignore and commercially whale ...even though its prohibited.

Sorry, but they're operating under IWC approved permits. In other words, what the whalers are doing is perfectly legal... Unlike what the activists are doing...

LOL.....You just googled that didn't you?

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Sorratsin wrote:
Tubbsalot wrote: ;) Well, that's fair enough. I have no problem with people thinking they're misguided and a bit thick (which they could well be), just with thinking they're evil in some way. Or with thinking 'who cares about whales let 'em die,' but I'm going to assume that's not your position.

They try to kill people to get ratings for a TV show.
Sounds evil to me.

They are doing nothing of the sort. They take great lengths to ensure no one is killed and to minimize the risk of any injury.
Did you see a ghost?

TFF
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby TFF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
TFF wrote:

Sorry, but IWC is the one who banned all commercial whaling in the area. Japan claims to be "researching" as they commercially harvest and kill hundreds of whales from this area under the pretense of research.

There are plenty of non-lethal means to research whales. Japan refuses to utilize these means because it prevents them from commercially killing, harvesting and profiting from the sale of their "researched" whale meat.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:
Natapoc wrote:
I never said that.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=8123174#p8123174

Given the context of the quote, it's reasonable to suggest that if there were a choice between the whalers and the whales, you wouldn't pick the human life.

Well, you are right about that. But not for the reason you think...

The idea that I would somehow ever be in a situation where I had to make the choice of if the whale lived or if the whaler lived is absurd.

The question is similar to: If there were a choice between your son dying or your daughter dying what would you choose? It's a false ethical problem that attempts to trap the one answering into saying something he or she wishes not to say.

I would not be party to murder either of humans or of whales.

I have another question: If you had to choose, would you murder your mom or your dad?

If your mom, why do you devalue the life of your mother so much?
If your dad, Why do you devalue the life of your dad so much?
Did you see a ghost?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Willynillya wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Sorry, but they're operating under IWC approved permits. In other words, what the whalers are doing is perfectly legal... Unlike what the activists are doing...

Nope.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:44 pm

TFF wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Sorry, but they're operating under IWC approved permits. In other words, what the whalers are doing is perfectly legal... Unlike what the activists are doing...

Sorry, but IWC is the one who banned all commercial whaling in the area. Japan claims to be "researching" as they commercially harvest and kill hundreds of whales from this area under the pretense of research.

There are plenty of non-lethal means to research whales. Japan refuses to utilize these means because it prevents them from commercially killing, harvesting and profiting from the sale of their "researched" whale meat.

Why am I not surprised that you don't know what you're talking about?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Willynillya
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Willynillya » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Willynillya wrote:

Nope.

You might want to read more than one paragraph or dig a little deeper than Wikipedia for your Google debate.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Free Soviets wrote:of course. whales are intelligent, self-aware creatures. we are not driven to hunt them by necessity nor do they pose any threat to us. assuming meat eating and hunting are morally legitimate activities (and i think they are), whales are quite obviously not the sort of things we can legitimately hunt. likewise for the great apes. any standard broad enough to protect those humans we deem most deserving of special protection will necessarily cover other beings such as whales.

i was under the impression the reason bonobos and other apes were not hunted weren't because they necessarily highly intelligent, but primarily because they were related to humans.

imagine that in the future we leave this rock using generation ships. eventually we encounter intelligent alien life at a technological level below ours. since they are less related to us than algae, it would follow from your premise that hunting them is a-ok. and that seems obviously wrong. whatever the standard for moral obligation is, clearly relatedness has little purchase (beyond, perhaps, special obligations to family). intelligent self-awareness seems trivially in, though.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:01 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:not at all. whales have an obvious moral right to not be hunted - you don't even need to buy into any particularly strong claims about animal rights or even utilitariansim or anything. the only moral theory that could possibly allow permit whaling is a nakedly speciesist one that nobody actually buys. we have a moral obligation to protect whales from those that would wrong them. if we can't stop them before the boats go out, we have to do so after.

Why doesn't that same moral right extend to cows, or deer, or tuna?

well, it is possible that it does. or, more likely, that we have an obligation to minimize their suffering or the like. but whales have mental capacities significantly above that of the cow. capacities at a level which make it impossible to reconcile with hunting them without running into some rather sticky moral problems.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:03 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Sorratsin wrote:
They try to kill people to get ratings for a TV show.
Sounds evil to me.

They are doing nothing of the sort. They take great lengths to ensure no one is killed and to minimize the risk of any injury.

They do nothing of the sort, they take great risks, with their own lives as well as the life of a whalers.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

TFF
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby TFF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:22 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
TFF wrote:

Why am I not surprised that you don't know what you're talking about?

LOL. Let it go little boy. You were shut down the last time you tried trolling me and I'll have you shut down again. Don't start snding me "I'm sorry telegrams" again either.
Last edited by TFF on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
The Soviet Technocracy wrote:i was under the impression the reason bonobos and other apes were not hunted weren't because they necessarily highly intelligent, but primarily because they were related to humans.

imagine that in the future we leave this rock using generation ships. eventually we encounter intelligent alien life at a technological level below ours. since they are less related to us than algae, it would follow from your premise that hunting them is a-ok. and that seems obviously wrong. whatever the standard for moral obligation is, clearly relatedness has little purchase (beyond, perhaps, special obligations to family). intelligent self-awareness seems trivially in, though.

They're not human, they really don't deserve human rights.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Wiztopia wrote:The Sea Shepherds are nothing but terrorists anyway.

Paul Watson recently said, regarding such silly comments, "arrest me or shut up"

I think it's good advice. If you have information that you believe the governments do not have I suggest you forward it to an appropriate law enforcement agency. Otherwise admit you're full of it and/or just stop making claims like this.

Nata, this is a debate and discussion forum. This is what is expected from here. We talk about capitalism vs. communism. But do most of us make our own businesses or form communes no. Nor do we all perform abortions/bomb an abortion clinic or give a sermons/vandalize churches. You know?
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Why doesn't that same moral right extend to cows, or deer, or tuna?

well, it is possible that it does. or, more likely, that we have an obligation to minimize their suffering or the like. but whales have mental capacities significantly above that of the cow. capacities at a level which make it impossible to reconcile with hunting them without running into some rather sticky moral problems.

Agree about minimizing suffering.

Cow's are smarter than you think, ever been to a dairy farm? The cows pretty much hook themselves up to the machinery and milk themselves. Evolutionarily speaking whales come from cows.

I do not see any moral problem hunting whales, intelligence is no reason to, or not to eat anything. By what moral authority do the smart have more rights than to stupid? Every living creature feels pain, every living creature has the same right to life as the next one. If they were killing the whales and not using it as food, I would have an issue with it, but they are not.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Free Soviets wrote:imagine that in the future we leave this rock using generation ships. eventually we encounter intelligent alien life at a technological level below ours. since they are less related to us than algae, it would follow from your premise that hunting them is a-ok. and that seems obviously wrong. whatever the standard for moral obligation is, clearly relatedness has little purchase (beyond, perhaps, special obligations to family). intelligent self-awareness seems trivially in, though.

They're not human, they really don't deserve human rights.

that's both irrelevant to my argument and wrong.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 pm

TFF wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Why am I not surprised that you don't know what you're talking about?

LOL. Let it go little boy. You were shut down the last time you tried trolling me and I'll have you shut down again. Don't start snding me "I'm sorry telegrams" again either.

lolololol

But anyway:

International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling wrote:Recognizing that in the course of achieving these objectives, whaling operations should be confined to those species best able to sustain exploitation in order to give an interval for recovery to certain species of whales now depleted in numbers;

That can be found just in the preamble it doesn't seem like a ban to me.

Furthermore:

ICRW Art VIII P 1&2 wrote:1. Notwithstanding anything contained in this Convention any Contracting Government may grant to any of its nationals a special permit authorizing that national to kill, take and treat whales for purposes of scientific research subject to such restrictions as to number and subject to such other conditions as the Contracting Government thinks fit, and the killing, taking, and treating of whales in accordance with the provisions of this Article shall be exempt from the operation of this Convention. Each Contracting Government shall report at once to the Commission all such authorizations which it has granted. Each Contracting Government may at any time revoke any such special permit which it has granted.
2. Any whales taken under these special permits shall so far as practicable be processed and the proceeds shall be dealt with in accordance with directions issued by the Government by which the permit was granted.

That is extremely broad and even leaves open the possibility for processing after the research is conducted.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:I do not see any moral problem hunting whales, intelligence is no reason to, or not to eat anything. By what moral authority do the smart have more rights than to stupid? Every living creature feels pain, every living creature has the same right to life as the next one. If they were killing the whales and not using it as food, I would have an issue with it, but they are not.

is hunting humans legitimate? presume that the hunter intends to make full use of the human - eating the meat and making a lampshade with the skin, etc. why or why not?

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:38 pm

Unidox wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Good. Those pirates need to be behind bars.

Pirates? What are Japanese whalers (and security vessels) doing in Australian waters?

Hunting whales? What else. I don't really blame the Japanese since they will do whatever the law permits them. Nations usually do that (and beyond what the law stipulates). I blame the weakness of regulations created by the IWC and other UN subsidiary bodies.

EDIT- And like Dya said. They're not in Australian waters. So your point is moot.
Last edited by Buffett and Colbert on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:40 pm

I always wished the Japanese navy would just sink these assholes. Problem is bad publicity, San Francisco would freak and go over there in drones.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:I do not see any moral problem hunting whales, intelligence is no reason to, or not to eat anything. By what moral authority do the smart have more rights than to stupid? Every living creature feels pain, every living creature has the same right to life as the next one. If they were killing the whales and not using it as food, I would have an issue with it, but they are not.

is hunting humans legitimate? presume that the hunter intends to make full use of the human - eating the meat and making a lampshade with the skin, etc. why or why not?

humans do not equal whales. There is no moral equivalence. Whales are big sea cows, not mermaids.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Good. Those pirates need to be behind bars.

:roll: Really? Pirates? Not like you to resort to ludicrous emotional bullshit.

I used the term specifically and intentionally. They meet the requisites for being considered pirates under the Law of the Sea.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General