NATION

PASSWORD

Why do religious people care about gay marriage?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Why do you, Anti-Gay marrige person, care?

Gays are Icky
No votes
The Bible says its wrong
43%
THINK OF THE CHILDREN
29%
Other (explain)
29%

Total votes : 7

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Why do religious people care about gay marriage?

Postby Bavin » Tue May 26, 2009 8:26 pm

This is very interesting question, to me. Yes, I am an rationalist, but I was Christian before I decided to use my brain. And I still don't understand where the supporters of Prop 8 get their hate from. So, religious nutjobs of America, WHY DO YOU CARE?! Regular religious folks can answer too. Here's a list of common answers, and my rebuttals

Gay sex is icky- They don't want to have sex with you.

The bible says its wrong- The Bible says a lot of things, and the bible was written half by Rabbis, and half by priests in the first century. Also, why would you care if they sin? If one man sins, it dosent mean his neighbor will go to hell too.

Marriage is a Christian Institution- Marriage is a HUMAN institution. Other religions have marriages, even atheists get married.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!- This is one of the many issues where the children are brought in where they aren't effected at all. They are just dragged in by demagogues. They don't talk about straight marrige in school, why would they talk about gay ones?

An I promise, that, like Rush Limbaugh, I will keep half my brain behind my back, but unlike Rush Limbaugh, I am not high on prescription meds. :lol:
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Why do religious people care about gay marriage?

Postby NERVUN » Tue May 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Well, as a Christian I care about gay marriage because I am a strong supporter of equality and want my country to make it legal for them to marry. I also have a personal reason in that my wife is Japanese and it wouldn't be too long ago that I would not have been able to marry her because we are different races. Since I love her with all my heart and have found happiness with her, why should I deny that to someone else just because the love of their life happens to be of the same gender?
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Tue May 26, 2009 8:33 pm

A tolerant religious person. :o My apologies if I offended you. I meant religious people that oppose same-sex marriage. I will change the poll, if possible.
Last edited by Bavin on Tue May 26, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Tue May 26, 2009 8:34 pm

Bavin wrote:Yes, I am an rationalist, but I was Christian before I decided to use my brain.

Well that's unfair. I am a Christian and I consider myself fairly rational; they are not exclusive and I am quite happy trying to follow Christ while following the latest advances in scientific research, etc.; but I digress.

As a Christian, I try and follow the prescripts of the Bible (despite my breaking of those prescripts more often than I'd care to admit); it explicitly outlines that homosexuality is a sin, and marriage is outlined as between man and woman. And that's that, for the most part.

However (and I stress however), I do not believe that gays and lesbians should be forbidden from entering into civil unions that should grant them the same civil rights as married couples (benefits, insurance, blah blah blah). They are not evil people to be condemned and spat upon, and here in Canada they have been granted many of the same right as heterosexuals; Canada has not fallen apart or degenerated, and I'm very proud to call this country my home.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue May 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Bavin wrote:A tolerant religious person. :o My apologies if I offended you. I meant religious people that oppose same-sex marriage. I will change the poll, if possible.

Believe it or not, we do actually exist!
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Secruss
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Tue May 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Quotin' the Bible:

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." Leviticus 18:22

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile passions: for their women changed the natural use into that which is against nature: and likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another, men with men working unseemliness, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was due." Romans 1:26-27

"But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully, as knowing this, that law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and unruly, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for abusers of themselves with men, for menstealers, for liars, for false swearers, and if there be any other thing contrary to the sound doctrine;" 1 Timothy 1:8-10

And if the Bible isn't good enough... Well... Hooray for atheism, I guess.
"How now!" cried Jupiter "Are you not yet content? You have what you asked for and so you have only yourselves to blame for your misfortunes."

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue May 26, 2009 8:36 pm

NERVUN wrote:Well, as a Christian I care about gay marriage because I am a strong supporter of equality and want my country to make it legal for them to marry. [W]hy should I deny that to someone else just because the love of their life happens to be of the same gender?

^^
This.

Love thy neighbor as thyself.
Last edited by Katganistan on Tue May 26, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Tue May 26, 2009 8:36 pm

This is my theory about why the Christian Rights are so obessed with gay marriage.

See, they all try to live up to the perfect image of Jesus Christ, and some of them come pretty close to it. However, for Christians who "protest too much", they have a secret life behind their white bread family of a wife, two kids in the suburbs with a dog. They have a gay lover living in an apartment in the more "ethnic" part of town. Now the gay lovers do love their men/women, and they want to be with them. However, the Christians don't want this topic to come up during sweet gay lovin'. So to avoid the whole "When are we getting married?" conversation, they oppose gay marriage. That way if they do bring it up all they have to say is "Sorry, but we can't get married, they won't allow it."

:D

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue May 26, 2009 8:39 pm

Bavin wrote:This is very interesting question, to me. Yes, I am an rationalist, but I was Christian before I decided to use my brain. And I still don't understand where the supporters of Prop 8 get their hate from. So, religious nutjobs of America, WHY DO YOU CARE?! Regular religious folks can answer too. Here's a list of common answers, and my rebuttals

Gay sex is icky- They don't want to have sex with you.

The bible says its wrong- The Bible says a lot of things, and the bible was written half by Rabbis, and half by priests in the first century. Also, why would you care if they sin? If one man sins, it dosent mean his neighbor will go to hell too.

Marriage is a Christian Institution- Marriage is a HUMAN institution. Other religions have marriages, even atheists get married.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!- This is one of the many issues where the children are brought in where they aren't effected at all. They are just dragged in by demagogues. They don't talk about straight marrige in school, why would they talk about gay ones?

An I promise, that, like Rush Limbaugh, I will keep half my brain behind my back, but unlike Rush Limbaugh, I am not high on prescription meds. :lol:

This whole thread comes off as a troll. You're painting Christians with the broad brush of "prejudiced wackos".
Try again, but a bit more neutral.
Last edited by Katganistan on Tue May 26, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General