NATION

PASSWORD

Censorship

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:21 am

UCUMAY wrote:
Lomenore wrote:
Your repeated violations of the Verbal Morality Statute have caused me to notify the San Angeles Police Department. Please remain where you are for your reprimand.

Come on, you never saw Demolition Man?

No sadly. But I'm still having fun. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rVQGT01Kzg
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:22 am

Sibirsky wrote:
UCUMAY wrote:No sadly. But I'm still having fun. :)

:rofl:
The Proclaimed Psycho on NSG
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

I'm politically syncretic so stop asking. :)
My political and social missions

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:25 am

Sibirsky wrote:
UCUMAY wrote:No sadly. But I'm still having fun. :)

I found one better. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1zhe85spsw&NR=1
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:28 am

Why don't you just shove a leash up my ass?

At the rate we're going...
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:29 am

Sibirsky wrote:

About me

Lomenore
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lomenore » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:34 am

The only time I think limiting the spread of information is justified is during time of war, with vital military secrets. "Now, the army is attempting to defend this city, but they don't have enough men to guard everywhere. Our embedded correspondent tells us that if the enemy were to attack down Highway 12, the defenders wouldn't be able to stop them without opening a hole in their lines!" Yeah, that should be banned. Reporters don't have the right to get other people killed because of their own stupidity.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:35 am

UCUMAY wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Why don't you just shove a leash up my ass?

It gets worse
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:36 am

Sibirsky wrote:
UCUMAY wrote: :rofl:

It gets worse

OMG by the way...

Ucumay has been fined 20 credits so far.
About me

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:37 am

Lomenore wrote:The only time I think limiting the spread of information is justified is during time of war, with vital military secrets. "Now, the army is attempting to defend this city, but they don't have enough men to guard everywhere. Our embedded correspondent tells us that if the enemy were to attack down Highway 12, the defenders wouldn't be able to stop them without opening a hole in their lines!" Yeah, that should be banned. Reporters don't have the right to get other people killed because of their own stupidity.

Well this makes sense, yes. I actually do not have a problem with law enforcement, for example lying to the media in certain cases.

They're looking for a black Chevrolet Corvette.

"We are looking for a yellow Nissan Pathfinder"

The dude in the black Vette is no longer worried about the cops being on his tracks.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:37 am

UCUMAY wrote:

OMG by the way...

Ucumay has been fined 20 credits so far.

:lol:
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Lomenore
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lomenore » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:39 am

But conversely, wouldn't owners of yellow Nissan Pathfinders be under suspicion? Also, couldn't a criminal ditch the getaway vehicle or switch plates or repaint it or something?
Last edited by Lomenore on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:41 am

Lomenore wrote:But conversely, wouldn't owners of yellow Nissan Pathfinders be under suspicion? Also, couldn't a criminal ditch the getaway vehicle or switch plates or repaint it or something?

Not always...
About me

Lomenore
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lomenore » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:43 am

But the possibility still exists, and any halfway intelligent criminal knows the cops will be trying to catch him, so it's in his best interest to dispose of any incriminating evidence, such as a car used in commision of a crime. I don't think misinformation is a good idea in such circumstances.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:44 am

Lomenore wrote:But conversely, wouldn't owners of yellow Nissan Pathfinders be under suspicion? Also, couldn't a criminal ditch the getaway vehicle or switch plates or repaint it or something?

No. The police know the suspect is driving a black Corvette. The media is talking about the yellow Nissan only to throw him off.

Yes, criminals ditch cars and switch plates all the time.

Sometimes they can ditch a car, planning to pick it up after "it blows over." They hear that the cops think it's a yellow Nissan, they go right back to their black Vette, and into the cops hands.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:45 am

Lomenore wrote:But the possibility still exists, and any halfway intelligent criminal knows the cops will be trying to catch him, so it's in his best interest to dispose of any incriminating evidence, such as a car used in commision of a crime.

The car that may, in fact, already be registered in his name? Come on now. The public doesn't have the right to know the details on ongoing police investigations for good reason, and witholding information, and sometimes even intentionally releasing false information, can be valueable in an investigation.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:47 am

Neo Art wrote:
Lomenore wrote:But the possibility still exists, and any halfway intelligent criminal knows the cops will be trying to catch him, so it's in his best interest to dispose of any incriminating evidence, such as a car used in commision of a crime.

The car that may, in fact, already be registered in his name? Come on now. The public doesn't have the right to know the details on ongoing police investigations for good reason, and witholding information, and sometimes even intentionally releasing false information, can be valueable in an investigation.

Misinformation is different than censorship.
About me

Robert Magoo
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Robert Magoo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:48 am

The Rich Port wrote:
Libertarian Mesa wrote:I do not think that should be used often, but I think it is sad to see what happens without censorship. There is so much rude, obscene or harmful material that exists in society today. Look at America in the 1950's, when the Hays Code was in power. The country was at its peak.

Yeah, well, helluva peak we had. Homosexuals were hunted down like rats, GI's got stiffed on their education, movies were mostly G-rated tripe, and people thought tiny men who wore fedoras and high pants were "manly"

Arrogance of the present...

I'm not in favor of government censorship except in limited cases like broadcast television, because it is freely available to all. Same for billboards.
Last edited by Robert Magoo on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Moral Compass- Rationalist (Q1): 8,9.9

Build up your wealth and give it away, but don't let the state take it. Help those in need and love your neighbor as yourself.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:49 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Lomenore wrote:The only time I think limiting the spread of information is justified is during time of war, with vital military secrets. "Now, the army is attempting to defend this city, but they don't have enough men to guard everywhere. Our embedded correspondent tells us that if the enemy were to attack down Highway 12, the defenders wouldn't be able to stop them without opening a hole in their lines!" Yeah, that should be banned. Reporters don't have the right to get other people killed because of their own stupidity.

Well this makes sense, yes. I actually do not have a problem with law enforcement, for example lying to the media in certain cases.

The dude in the black Vette is no longer worried about the cops being on his tracks.

So they're supposed to lie about if a person kidnaps a 7 year old girl and he's driving a Chevrolet Corvette? This is how it will go.

The corvette drives by a person who just saw the news and the little girl is found dead 5 hours later.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:50 am

Wiztopia wrote:So they're supposed to lie about if a person kidnaps a 7 year old girl and he's driving a Chevrolet Corvette? This is how it will go.

The corvette drives by a person who just saw the news and the little girl is found dead 5 hours later.

I think what Sibirsky wants to say is withholding information, instead of outright lying to the media.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:55 am

Sibirsky wrote:

Okay... If that's what you want...
*wanders off to find a leash*
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:01 am

Norstal wrote:
Wiztopia wrote:So they're supposed to lie about if a person kidnaps a 7 year old girl and he's driving a Chevrolet Corvette? This is how it will go.

I think what Sibirsky wants to say is withholding information, instead of outright lying to the media.

No. Lying to the media is ok in cases of ongoing investigations.

This reminds me of DC sniper case. The first we heard of any vehicle we were told it was a white panel van. They were caught in a blue Chevrolet Caprice. Point is, Muhammad and Malvo may have thought the cops were looking for a white van, and were more at ease. They were found sleeping in their car.

I obviously don't know if the cops were lying, or actually thought a white van was used. However, the blue Chevy was used in all the attacks.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:23 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Norstal wrote:I think what Sibirsky wants to say is withholding information, instead of outright lying to the media.

No. Lying to the media is ok in cases of ongoing investigations.

This reminds me of DC sniper case. The first we heard of any vehicle we were told it was a white panel van. They were caught in a blue Chevrolet Caprice. Point is, Muhammad and Malvo may have thought the cops were looking for a white van, and were more at ease. They were found sleeping in their car.

I obviously don't know if the cops were lying, or actually thought a white van was used. However, the blue Chevy was used in all the attacks.

Read this post: viewtopic.php?p=5898990#p5898990

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:24 am

Wiztopia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Well this makes sense, yes. I actually do not have a problem with law enforcement, for example lying to the media in certain cases.

So they're supposed to lie about if a person kidnaps a 7 year old girl and he's driving a Chevrolet Corvette? This is how it will go.

Only a valid argument if it is statistically more likely for the perp to be caught through a tip then it is for him to be caught without one, assuming the correct information was released. Which I doubt. Most people seem to be caught in traffic stops and checkpoints, or through APBs. Meaning if the police said they were looking for a corvette, he would now know to ditch the car, making it less likely for both police or a tipster to find him. Information should only be released if the police literally have no clue where the hell he is.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:25 am

Wiztopia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:No. Lying to the media is ok in cases of ongoing investigations.

Read this post: viewtopic.php?p=5898990#p5898990

I read that. The point is not to attempt at get tips. The point is to mislead the criminals.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:26 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Why don't you just shove a leash up my ass?

Okay... If that's what you want...
*wanders off to find a leash*

That hard to find a leash?
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

PreviousNext