NATION

PASSWORD

Chesapeake Cownose rays situations

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Chesapeake Cownose rays situations

Postby Mosasauria » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:04 pm

http://www.bayjournal.com/article.cfm?article=3123
This is bad.
Tales of cownose rays ravaging oyster restoration sites, as well as some underwater grass revegetation projects, have become so common around the Bay that plans are in the works to turn the tables on them—by putting them on the table.

By creating a food market for rays—and therefore a fishery—some fishery managers hope to cull the ray population.

In Virginia, where the rays are most plentiful in the Bay, some consider them to be a more formidable obstacle to oyster restoration than the diseases that plague the shellfish. “In the next couple of years, it is our number one problem that we are trying to address for oyster restoration down here,” said Jim Wesson, who oversees oyster restoration efforts for the Virginia Marine Resources Commission.

Wesson said rays are not only an impediment to restoration, but also to aquaculture. New fast-growing strains of native oysters can be placed in the water and reach market size before succumbing to disease, but many oyster growers worry their investment will be wiped out by rays. “You could possibly have the private industry pour money into oyster restoration so it is not depending so much federal and state support,” he said

Anybody who knows anything about chondricthyians could tell that this is possibly the worst idea ever. Sharks and rays grow slowly, and reproduce late and infrequently.
Apparently, some people realized this:
But other scientists believe the solution being cooked up may be just as bad. If humans develop a taste for cownose rays, they say, it could result in taking too big of a bite out of the ray populations.

Dean Grubbs, program manager of the Shark Ecology Program at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science, called efforts to create a fishery “a really bad idea.”

Rays are slow-maturing fish: Females don’t reproduce until they are 7 or 8 years old, and males are typically 6 or 7. Further, females produce just one live pup per year. That, combined with the late maturity rate, is a recipe for overfishing, according to Grubbs and some of his colleagues.

But, of course, in the name of 'private industry' and oysters, the great hunt for Cownose Rays will continue with the green light.
This is actually a related article with a bit more backstory.
And, once again, sportfisherman and commercial fisherman are wanting to completely demolish the ray population.
Did they learn nothing from the sharks former sharks of Chesapeake Bay?!
Thoughts? Opinions?
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:13 pm

I like oysters. Though they vary hugely in quality. Olde Salt's if you get them locally aren't bad.

I'd be willing to try Cownose ray, but I don't imagine it's actually very tasty. Still you never know.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:I like oysters. Though they vary hugely in quality. Olde Salt's if you get them locally aren't bad.

I'd be willing to try Cownose ray, but I don't imagine it's actually very tasty. Still you never know.

I have tasted ray before. It tastes like scallops.

Teinohikira
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Teinohikira » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Mosasauria wrote:http://www.bayjournal.com/article.cfm?article=3123
This is bad.
Tales of cownose rays ravaging oyster restoration sites, as well as some underwater grass revegetation projects, have become so common around the Bay that plans are in the works to turn the tables on them—by putting them on the table.

By creating a food market for rays—and therefore a fishery—some fishery managers hope to cull the ray population.

In Virginia, where the rays are most plentiful in the Bay, some consider them to be a more formidable obstacle to oyster restoration than the diseases that plague the shellfish. “In the next couple of years, it is our number one problem that we are trying to address for oyster restoration down here,” said Jim Wesson, who oversees oyster restoration efforts for the Virginia Marine Resources Commission.

Wesson said rays are not only an impediment to restoration, but also to aquaculture. New fast-growing strains of native oysters can be placed in the water and reach market size before succumbing to disease, but many oyster growers worry their investment will be wiped out by rays. “You could possibly have the private industry pour money into oyster restoration so it is not depending so much federal and state support,” he said

Anybody who knows anything about chondricthyians could tell that this is possibly the worst idea ever. Sharks and rays grow slowly, and reproduce late and infrequently.
Apparently, some people realized this:
But other scientists believe the solution being cooked up may be just as bad. If humans develop a taste for cownose rays, they say, it could result in taking too big of a bite out of the ray populations.

Dean Grubbs, program manager of the Shark Ecology Program at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science, called efforts to create a fishery “a really bad idea.”

Rays are slow-maturing fish: Females don’t reproduce until they are 7 or 8 years old, and males are typically 6 or 7. Further, females produce just one live pup per year. That, combined with the late maturity rate, is a recipe for overfishing, according to Grubbs and some of his colleagues.

But, of course, in the name of 'private industry' and oysters, the great hunt for Cownose Rays will continue with the green light.
This is actually a related article with a bit more backstory.
And, once again, sportfisherman and commercial fisherman are wanting to completely demolish the ray population.
Did they learn nothing from the sharks former sharks of Chesapeake Bay?!
Thoughts? Opinions?

This is what we get when Charlie Sheen jumps into the water...it's sad.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Doth they naught learneth of Steve Irwin's untimely death and how it was caused?
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Sorratsin
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorratsin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:18 pm

I seem to remember that all rays taste horrible due to them pissing through their skin.

No idea where I got that though.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Sorratsin wrote:I seem to remember that all rays taste horrible due to them pissing through their skin.

No idea where I got that though.

Sharks, just like humans, have high urea content within the blood. Rays, being descended from sharks since the Permian, are no different.
As such, when they are killed, the blood diffuses into the body, and so does the urine and ammonia.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Putting them on the menu to cut the population will backfire horribly no matter what. Either they don;t selll or they sell to well and cause a drastic population decrease. Either way lose-lose situation if they try to sell it as food. Now as pets maybe :)
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Mosasauria wrote:I have tasted ray before. It tastes like scallops.

I quite like skate wing. Presumably it's similar.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:32 pm

The Corparation wrote:Putting them on the menu to cut the population will backfire horribly no matter what. Either they don;t selll or they sell to well and cause a drastic population decrease. Either way lose-lose situation if they try to sell it as food. Now as pets maybe :)

If you're going pet stingray, do the Ocellate River Stingray.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potamotrygon_motoro

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:35 pm

Mosasauria wrote:Did they learn nothing from the sharks former sharks of Chesapeake Bay?!
Thoughts? Opinions?

Why yes. We learned that through fishing we can get rid of pests like sharks.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Lets just leave wild animals alone. I don't want more extinctions, and ecosystem disruptions. Lets learn to say no to our greed when needed.
Did you see a ghost?

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
Mosasauria wrote:Did they learn nothing from the sharks former sharks of Chesapeake Bay?!
Thoughts? Opinions?

And then, we created more pests thorugh that because the cownose ray population exploded! Then we'll kill that, and the oyster and lobster populations will explode! Then we'll hunt them all, and the northeast coast of the US will become an underwater desert devoid of even the simplest plankton. :roll:

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Mosasauria wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

And then, we created more pests thorugh that because the cownose ray population exploded! Then we'll kill that, and the oyster and lobster populations will explode! Then we'll hunt them all, and the northeast coast of the US will become an underwater desert devoid of even the simplest plankton. :roll:

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Bart_the_Mother

It's funny because it's true...
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:03 pm

Mosasauria wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

That's actually a good thing. Lobsters are natural scavengers, and a high oyster population will clean a good deal of the pollutants from the bay. It needs oysters much more than it needs pests like the cownose ray and sharks.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Natapoc wrote:Lets just leave wild animals alone. I don't want more extinctions, and ecosystem disruptions. Lets learn to say no to our greed when needed.

We are managing the oysters we have to manage what eats the oysters in order to succeed.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
Mosasauria wrote:And then, we created more pests thorugh that because the cownose ray population exploded! Then we'll kill that, and the oyster and lobster populations will explode! Then we'll hunt them all, and the northeast coast of the US will become an underwater desert devoid of even the simplest plankton. :roll:

That's actually a good thing. Lobsters are natural scavengers, and a high oyster population will clean a good deal of the pollutants from the bay. It needs oysters much more than it needs pests like the cownose ray and sharks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apex_predator
Did you see a ghost?

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:18 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apex_predator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_species
This could also apply quite nicely.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:41 pm

I imagine that rays would taste similar to skates. Skates aren't that tasty, so I don't imagine it'd catch on as a major food, especially given the (generally) finicky American palate (ironic, given that hamburgers, hot dogs, and corn dogs are all pretty offensive to the tastebuds).

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:23 am

There's a second ecological issue here however as well, the oysteries have been instrumental in reseeding the bay oyster population, and the oysters are a key element in the cleaning of bay water. So these rays are attempting to thwart the efforts of the bay cleanup. So I can see a logical reason to put a significant hit on the ray population over the long term.

This isn't really merely oysteries attempting to protect their investment, this is a key battle in holding our progress in our 20 year work to attempt to clean up the bay.
Such heroic nonsense!

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Mosasauria wrote:
Lacadaemon wrote:I like oysters. Though they vary hugely in quality. Olde Salt's if you get them locally aren't bad.

I have tasted ray before. It tastes like scallops.

Quite often, that's what scallops really are... :(
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General