NATION

PASSWORD

CENSORSHIP

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:41 am

Hathradic States wrote:I walked right into that one...

Yeah. Kinda hypocritical tha'.

Or have we? What defines victory?

We achieved all of our objectives, the enemy has achieved none of his and the fighting is over. What more could you ask for?

A war is a war is a war.

Right, so you could use Napoleonic tactics to win wars today?
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Zeth Rekia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeth Rekia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 am

Umbra Ac Silentium wrote:Anyways, my opinion on the subject is this; nothing, and I mean nothing should be censored.

^Zeno agrees fully. :)

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:46 am

Zeth Rekia wrote:
Umbra Ac Silentium wrote:Anyways, my opinion on the subject is this; nothing, and I mean nothing should be censored.

^Zeno agrees fully. :)

What if we have to censor censors to censor censorships? :P
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Zeth Rekia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeth Rekia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:50 am

Norstal wrote:
Zeth Rekia wrote:^Zeno agrees fully. :)

What if we have to censor censors to censor censorships? :P

This logic does not compute.

The Chaos Heart
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Chaos Heart » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:52 am

Maurepas wrote:
Sorratsin wrote:Some things have to be censored in order for the state to function effectively, troop movements comes to mind. But in general, censorship should practiced as little as possible.

Or possibly they should just not be dumb enough to create a situation where they're uploaded to the internet. I don't think Robert E. Lee kept files on all of his troop movements.

The problem with that logic is when you get someone in the government who defects and spreads the information.

See the Pentagon Papers.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:55 am

Zeth Rekia wrote:
Norstal wrote:What if we have to censor censors to censor censorships? :P

This logic does not compute.

It kind of makes sense.
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Photoshopped birds flipping the bird not acceptable.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:56 am

Hathradic States wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:
I'm not sure how justifiable any of those wars were, and I'm not sure the government should tell me I can't call Iraq bullshit when they lied to us, possibly for their own financial gain.

I'm also not sure how those wars could be/have been conducted better, except maybe we shouldn't have bombed the shit out of civilians.

I actually agree with you on the Iraq thing. We shouldn't have invade. However, once we did, we should have done the job right.

Uh huh...not bombing population centers won us WWII...definately...

we were fighting countries in WW2 now we are fighting the inequivalent of the KKK, a small extremist group inside a country.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Zeth Rekia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeth Rekia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:57 am

Ayreonia wrote:
Zeth Rekia wrote:This logic does not compute.

It kind of makes sense.

Not when you apply it to reality......

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:13 am

Zeth Rekia wrote:
Ayreonia wrote:It kind of makes sense.

Not when you apply it to reality......

Reality is overrated anyway.
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Photoshopped birds flipping the bird not acceptable.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Hathradic States wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:
I'm not sure why some fat politicians feeling "disgraced" is worse than massive tax hikes and thousands to millions of innocent people being killed and mutilated.

Because I don't believe in innocent people...

...and it would be a disgrace to the nation and the people as a whole, not just the leaders.

I think WWII would have been less embarrassing for the Germans if they revolted against Hitler and brought the Reich crashing down on their own heads instead of waiting for us to beat them.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:17 pm

The worst part of censorship is (redacted).
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:18 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:Because I don't believe in innocent people...

...and it would be a disgrace to the nation and the people as a whole, not just the leaders.

I think WWII would have been less embarrassing for the Germans if they revolted against Hitler and brought the Reich crashing down on their own heads instead of waiting for us to beat them.

How'd that be possible?

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 pm

I'm sorry, but I can't stand how the government ........................ and how they .................................... Fuck, they're on to me!
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Sorratsin wrote:Some things have to be censored in order for the state to function effectively, troop movements comes to mind. But in general, censorship should practiced as little as possible.

^Totally agreed
Autistic, Christian, Capitalist, Libertarian
Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
https://dragcave.net/user/Bellumsaur13
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
This nation reflects my RL beliefs and values (for the most part, anyway)
P/MT: The United Provinces of Saurisia
FT: The Federal Systems Republic of Saurisia
MT FT Embassy
ANTHRO AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!
I am Scaly and I am proud!

Schwabenreich
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Schwabenreich » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:23 pm

I hate censorship. I hate censorship of 'adult themes'. I dislike censorship of political opinions and hatespeech too, but not as much. I'm fine with censoring troop movements and other things in that regard.
"The sovereign represents the state; he and his people form but one body, which can only be happy as far as united by concord. The prince is to a nation he governs, what a head is to a man; it is his duty to see, think and act for the whole community, that he may procure it every advantage of which it is capable."-Friedrich der Große

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Norstal wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:I think WWII would have been less embarrassing for the Germans if they revolted against Hitler and brought the Reich crashing down on their own heads instead of waiting for us to beat them.

How'd that be possible?

I never said Hitler would allow it without a fight. Just saying Germany would have been better off collapsing into civil war in 1940 instead of finishing WWII. National unity is valuable, but so is holding your government accountable.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm sorry, but all of you are committing high treason by reading and contributing to this thread. I'm going to have to erase your memories; just relax and look at the pretty red light.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:I'm sorry, but all of you are committing high treason by reading and contributing to this thread. I'm going to have to erase your memories; just relax and look at the pretty red light.
(Image)

What were we talking about?
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:I'm sorry, but all of you are committing high treason by reading and contributing to this thread. I'm going to have to erase your memories; just relax and look at the pretty red light.
(Image)

What were we talking about?

The nuclear weapons that were recently found in Iraq. *nods*
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Censorship is never a valid action of the state, even in times of a national crisis. Of course, self-censorship is also not wrong either. Control is an important aspect of civilization.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:The worst part of censorship is (redacted).

This^
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Norstal wrote:How'd that be possible?

I never said Hitler would allow it without a fight. Just saying Germany would have been better off collapsing into civil war in 1940 instead of finishing WWII. National unity is valuable, but so is holding your government accountable.

I'd agree they should, but I don't know. At that point, I'm sure everyone is hopeless to even fight their own Reich.

Sucrati
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sucrati » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Maurepas wrote:

Or possibly they should just not be dumb enough to create a situation where they're uploaded to the internet. I don't think Robert E. Lee kept files on all of his troop movements.

Wasn't there an incident where a document was found by a Union Soldier preventing the fall of the Union in the Civil War?
Economic Left/Right: 7.12; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.92
George Washington wrote:"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Norstal wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

I'd agree they should, but I don't know. At that point, I'm sure everyone is hopeless to even fight their own Reich.

I agree it would have been hard to organize, but that's why censorship is dangerous, because it lets crappy governments stay in power against the will of the people.

Make up your own mind
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Make up your own mind » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:46 am

It also allows them to get away with all kinds of things. If your dissident neighbor disappears or police start asking for bribes, for example, you can't report it if you're not allowed to be critical of the government.
Quotes of the moment:
"Power: It no longer just corrupts, it corrodes too." -Gauthier
"who needs certainty when you've got spaceships?" -Free Soviets
Samuraikoku wrote:
Enadail wrote:I'm not understanding why we should compromise justice, liberty, and rights?

Because "mass chaos will ensue".

Sociobiology wrote:yes because such people always want to believe they have a clue about psychology, come to think of it everyone does, must be a fluke caused by wiring us to model other peoples brains in ours.

Literature is dead
A tradition that has stood the test of time...
The Princess Prophecy!

It's a mixed bag really.
I don't hate Christians. I even have Christian friends. ;)
People's impact outlasts them, especially on a forum.
It get's better.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General