NATION

PASSWORD

LDS

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
GothicLust
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

LDS

Postby GothicLust » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Why do some Mormons hoard food? I know a woman who has at least 5-10 years of food hoarded in her cellar. I do not know her well enough to ask why.

Do you hoard food? How long could you survive with the food you've hoarded?

If you don't how long do you think you could survive on the food in your house right now?

Are there other groups who hoard food? Could this be unrelated to her LDS religion?

Peddieville
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Peddieville » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:33 pm

So confusing having this thread right bellow the one on LSD.
I have nothing to say

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:34 pm

They don't 'hoard' food. They stockpile food for emergencies. Imagine how much smoother emergencies like Hurricane Katrina would have gone if people had a few weeks of food stores(at a minimum) and a 72-hour bag packed?

I have several months of supplies for emergencies.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:They don't 'hoard' food. They stockpile food for emergencies. Imagine how much smoother emergencies like Hurricane Katrina would have gone if people had a few weeks of food stores(at a minimum) and a 72-hour bag packed?

And with the gas from the tacos, you could probably light up your neighborhood. *nod*
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Peddieville
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Peddieville » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:36 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:They don't 'hoard' food. They stockpile food for emergencies. Imagine how much smoother emergencies like Hurricane Katrina would have gone if people had a few weeks of food stores(at a minimum) and a 72-hour bag packed?

Somehow I suspected that of you. But yes, having stockpiles of food is incredibly helpful. Look at Japan, where some people have been without food or clean water since the Earthquake.
Last edited by Peddieville on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have nothing to say

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:37 pm

Peddieville wrote:

Somehow I suspected that of you. But yes, having stockpiles of food is incredibly helpful. Look at Japan, where some people have been without food or clean water since the darthquake.

The "darthquake"? :o When was Gallo over in Japan?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

And with the gas from the tacos, you could probably light up your neighborhood. *nod*

I grow my own lettuce, peppers and tomatoes indoors all winter with my aerogardens and I stockpile tortillas(they last better than six months vacuum sealed). If I could find ready supplies of shelf-stable ground beef, I'd be all set. :)
Last edited by Lunatic Goofballs on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

GothicLust
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby GothicLust » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:And with the gas from the tacos, you could probably light up your neighborhood. *nod*

I grow my own lettuce, peppers and tomatoes indoors all winter with my aerogardens and I stockpile tortillas(they last better than six months vacuum sealed). If I could find ready supplies of shelf-stable ground beef, I'd be all set. :)

http://www.amazon.com/10-Can-Ground-Bee ... B001LMMQ6C

*bows*

Peddieville
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Peddieville » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:41 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Peddieville wrote:Somehow I suspected that of you. But yes, having stockpiles of food is incredibly helpful. Look at Japan, where some people have been without food or clean water since the darthquake.

The "darthquake"? :o When was Gallo over in Japan?

I find your lack of housing codes...disturbing.
I have nothing to say

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:41 pm

Depends really. If I we're to just go on the food stored in my house right now I reckon I could spin it out to 3 weeks on survival quantities.

Water might be a problem but I know a few filtering techniques and it rains a lot where I live. Plus I'm surrounded by 50 large conifer trees so I could get firewood without even leaving my garden.

Of course, if I were to kill my family in a series of natural looking "accidents" for fresh meat then I could probably live pretty well for a few weeks after that.

Grainne Ni Malley
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Grainne Ni Malley » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:49 pm

My mother hoards many things, food being one of them. The tops of the cabinets used to be lined with jars of peaches, pears, and a multitude of other unidentifiable items that had browned over the years of being stored. The freezer had numerous zip-lock bags filled with freezer burnt items, also of questionable age. I discovered that her reasoning for doing this was, in part, due to her close relationship with her grandmother who had lived during the depression era. My mother had adopted the mentality that most things should not be thrown away as you never knew when something would serve a purpose.

To this day I am wary of reaching for a food item in her house. Even more so when I found a dead lizard in a zip-lock baggie in her freezer in the garage. Upon protest, she answered that she just hadn't found time to bury it in the backyard yet. :o
*insert boring personal information, political slant, witty quotes, and some fancy text color here*

Гроня Ни Маллий - In fond memory of Dyakovo. I will always remember you. Thank you for the laughs.

Corusant Sphere
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Corusant Sphere » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Peddieville wrote:So confusing having this thread right bellow the one on LSD.

I agree, maybe we need the SLD thread (about the Social and Liberal Democrats)? ;) :p

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Peddieville wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:The "darthquake"? :o When was Gallo over in Japan?

I find your lack of housing codes...disturbing.

:rofl:

The Force is strong with this one.
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
The Kitsune Empire of Xiscapia's FT Factbook (V2.5)
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Me too, and my parents -- and we're not Mormons.
It's called 'common sense' to have staples in the pantry. When I got snowed in in December, I literally did not have to worry about getting food for weeks -- I had Parmalat boxed milk, pastas, soups, canned foods, frozen foods, cereal, etc. What with the campaign to have us with a "go bag" in case of emergency, I'd say it's just smart planning.

Ex-Brogavia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ex-Brogavia » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:38 pm

Because the Mormons are preparing for their war of conquest to retake Nevada from the sinners.
"No man’s life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." –Mark Twain

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." -P.J. O’Rourke

"We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much." -President Ronald Reagan

Roll, roll, roll a joint, twisted at the end
Spark it up and get fucked up
then pass it to a friend

Peddieville
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Peddieville » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Ex-Brogavia wrote:Because the Mormons are preparing for their war of conquest to retake Nevada from the sinners.

There from New York, originally, I think. Nevada might have fewer sinners, though ;)
I have nothing to say

Itinerate Tree Dweller
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Itinerate Tree Dweller » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Katganistan wrote:

Me too, and my parents -- and we're not Mormons.
It's called 'common sense' to have staples in the pantry. When I got snowed in in December, I literally did not have to worry about getting food for weeks -- I had Parmalat boxed milk, pastas, soups, canned foods, frozen foods, cereal, etc. What with the campaign to have us with a "go bag" in case of emergency, I'd say it's just smart planning.

I do something similar, but for entirely different reasons. Let's just say that in the event of a zombie outbreak, foreign invasion or alien invasion I will be prepared to hunker down for a while.
The Illustrious Empire of the United Romans and the Commonwealth Territories (PMT)
Emperor Regulus Serius Sirius - Prime Minister Tiberius Serius Primulus - Foreign Secretary Jeffery Kandel
Factbook - Military - Embassy Exchange - NSwiki Entry - NS Economy Page - The United Reddit Nations
Serius Industries - News Feed - NS Tracker Page - National Website - Player Info - CAPINTERN
Emperor Primus Serius Sirius - Prime Minister Cassius Serius Sirius - Foreign Secretary Matthew Stonewall
Factbook - Fleet - Embassy Exchange - NSwiki Entry

Jolt Veteran +2,228 posts - Oderint dum metuant - Current Status: Peace
Max Berries are part of a balanced breakfast.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:And with the gas from the tacos, you could probably light up your neighborhood. *nod*

Make it. http://amatterofpreparedness.blogspot.c ... urger.html
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Rolamec
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Peddieville wrote:
Ex-Brogavia wrote:Because the Mormons are preparing for their war of conquest to retake Nevada from the sinners.

There from New York, originally, I think. Nevada might have fewer sinners, though ;)

I'm pretty sure if any place has more sinners, it's Nevada.
Rolamec of New Earth
A Proud and Progressive Republican.
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Make it. http://amatterofpreparedness.blogspot.c ... urger.html

Ooh!

Hunter S. Thompson

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:52 pm

GothicLust wrote:Why do some Mormons hoard food? I know a woman who has at least 5-10 years of food hoarded in her cellar. I do not know her well enough to ask why.

If you don't how long do you think you could survive on the food in your house right now?

Are there other groups who hoard food? Could this be unrelated to her LDS religion?

No one 'hoards food'. We're encouraged to keep a 2-year supply of non-perishables for in case of an emergency. Food storage - loads of people do it. Basics, canned goods, water. Look around at some of the natural disasters and other things folks have been through lately, and tell me, if you were cut off from services etc for any length of time how grateful you might be that you'd put something away, and kept them up to date (by using them within the expiration dates of course). Not to mention, buying when you have the cash - seen the job markets lately? Being out of work for a year will certainly put a crimp in your pocketbook. Having food already on hand that's paid for? Not such a bad idea to get you through the rough spots.

It's a simple concept, and not at all to do with 'hoarding'. Planning ahead in case is all.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:
GothicLust wrote:Why do some Mormons hoard food? I know a woman who has at least 5-10 years of food hoarded in her cellar. I do not know her well enough to ask why.

No one 'hoards food'. We're encouraged to keep a 2-year supply of non-perishables for in case of an emergency. Food storage - loads of people do it. Basics, canned goods, water. Look around at some of the natural disasters and other things folks have been through lately, and tell me, if you were cut off from services etc for any length of time how grateful you might be that you'd put something away, and kept them up to date (by using them within the expiration dates of course). Not to mention, buying when you have the cash - seen the job markets lately? Being out of work for a year will certainly put a crimp in your pocketbook. Having food already on hand that's paid for? Not such a bad idea to get you through the rough spots.

It's a simple concept, and not at all to do with 'hoarding'. Planning ahead in case is all.

I have a two year supply of ammunition, and the proper tools and supplies necessary to process wild game.

I'm going to LGs house in the event of a disaster. We can help each other.

We'll have venison tacos until the cows come home.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SaintB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Galloism wrote:I have a two year supply of ammunition, and the proper tools and supplies necessary to process wild game.

I'm going to LGs house in the event of a disaster. We can help each other.

We'll have venison tacos until the cows come home.

Then you can have beef tacos again!
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:44 pm

As do I.
Under New Management since 8/9/12

GothicLust
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby GothicLust » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:08 am

Wow. First of all, I did not know the word "hoard" had a bad connotation. I used it because I couldn't remember the word "stockpile". I'm still not entirely sure what the difference is, but judging by the reaction there's a huge one. For that, I apologize.

I am left wondering why everyone doesn't stockpile some food. If you don't stockpile some food why not? I'll admit I do have about a week or two of emergency canned goods, but a year of it seemed odd. Perhaps it's a good idea in this economy to do that though.

:unsure:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General