NATION

PASSWORD

MineCraft

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:21 pm

Flameswroth wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Not really. Besides / give is the only way to get ender portal blocks for you to place.

And typing PointBreak is the only way to free you of the food restriction to 100 supply in Warcraft 3. But it's still cheating.

That said, I get that the creative aspect of Minecraft is just as crucial to its gameplay as the survival allure, and that in many modes the method of acquisition is of no importance when compared to the use of things acquired. To that end, it is not right for me to say such things are 'cheating'.

Would I ever do it, though? No. There's a sense of accomplishment in harvesting and placing the means of cousin-torture rather than willing them into existence with a command. Besides...I don't even have admin permissions to do it if I wanted to :P

As long as you don't use /give when you're doing legit survival and are too lazy to get something yourself I don't really see it as cheating. The way I see it is that sending them to the end is much more frustrating then simply blowing up there house. They can't walk into the door and have to go through the trouble of figuring out what you did, how you did it and figure out a way to get rid of the block. Also have you considered getting obby and blocking up their door? Many many many noobs will waste thier time breaking the obby rather then just build a new door around it.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:38 pm

The Corparation wrote:As long as you don't use /give when you're doing legit survival and are too lazy to get something yourself I don't really see it as cheating. The way I see it is that sending them to the end is much more frustrating then simply blowing up there house. They can't walk into the door and have to go through the trouble of figuring out what you did, how you did it and figure out a way to get rid of the block. Also have you considered getting obby and blocking up their door? Many many many noobs will waste thier time breaking the obby rather then just build a new door around it.

Well, not really. I have some, but the shop is made of wood and I think it'd probably be easy enough for her to circumvent it.

There's just an aesthetic appeal to a 'trap' for me. That 'click' of a pressure plate, followed by a few moments of 'where'd that come from' before their place explodes. I have a thing for the explosions too. Probably watched too many Michael Bay movies (read: > 0 Michael Bay movies).

The one thing I'd probably do in the future is put a nice layer of lava underneath the house too, so that when the building explodes all the bits and pieces...and them possibly, all fall in the lava. I think that'd be an improvement.
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:04 pm

Flameswroth wrote:
The Corparation wrote:As long as you don't use /give when you're doing legit survival and are too lazy to get something yourself I don't really see it as cheating. The way I see it is that sending them to the end is much more frustrating then simply blowing up there house. They can't walk into the door and have to go through the trouble of figuring out what you did, how you did it and figure out a way to get rid of the block. Also have you considered getting obby and blocking up their door? Many many many noobs will waste thier time breaking the obby rather then just build a new door around it.

Well, not really. I have some, but the shop is made of wood and I think it'd probably be easy enough for her to circumvent it.

There's just an aesthetic appeal to a 'trap' for me. That 'click' of a pressure plate, followed by a few moments of 'where'd that come from' before their place explodes. I have a thing for the explosions too. Probably watched too many Michael Bay movies (read: > 0 Michael Bay movies).

The one thing I'd probably do in the future is put a nice layer of lava underneath the house too, so that when the building explodes all the bits and pieces...and them possibly, all fall in the lava. I think that'd be an improvement.

Other good traps are to build something big and ugly in the middle of their house, filled with lava, so that when they destroy it, it kills them.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Ookay can we get away from trolling techniques and back to minecraft as it's supposed to be?

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:19 pm

So when you start out for the first time, be it on a server or by yourself, how do you build your first home? Quick makeshift wood? Half made cobblestone shelter? Or perhaps the infamous "hole in the ground" technique?
And so it was, that I had never changed.

Mesoland
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:25 pm

Manahakatouki wrote:So when you start out for the first time, be it on a server or by yourself, how do you build your first home? Quick makeshift wood? Half made cobblestone shelter? Or perhaps the infamous "hole in the ground" technique?

When I started out, I ran around not sure what to do. I had nothing. And when night came, I thought 'This game is boring. I've got nothing to do!'
Unfortunately, I didn't know how to change the difficulty level, and I came across some mobs that night (it was, by default, on normal). I dug a hole in the ground on the edge of a desert biome and waited. To check if day had broken yet, I dug up to see, and a Zombie fell in and killed me. So that's what I did. But now when I start a new world, I use wood and build a small shack in the middle of a forest and wait till day break by looking out of the door of my 4x4 wood shack!

Snozzerland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Snozzerland » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:31 pm

I built a dirt hut. And I was proud of it.

And of course, it was blown up by a creeper because I didn't know how to make doors.

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 pm

I remember my first home being a slight pit in the ground, with wood planks around the edges two blocks up...

No roof, thinking that nothing could get through...

Spiders then proceeded to climb over...
And so it was, that I had never changed.

Prekara
Secretary

Founded: Oct 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Prekara » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:35 pm

I think there is one thing that bring a lot of us on NationStates together and that is MineCraft.

Haydn
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Haydn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm an experienced Minecraft player. I built an RMS Titanic. Those creepers are annoying. That's all. 8)
Allandium wrote:Another war then Haydn? I'll help you every step of the way.

Britcan
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Britcan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Manahakatouki wrote:So when you start out for the first time, be it on a server or by yourself, how do you build your first home? Quick makeshift wood? Half made cobblestone shelter? Or perhaps the infamous "hole in the ground" technique?

I cut down the first tree I can find, gather about a dozen blocks of dirt, make a pickaxe and run off to find the nearest area of exposed coal. Once I've found that I mine it then use the subsequent hole to make a house, covering the entrance up with the dirt from before.

This nation should not be taken to be representative of my real-life views, nor should any of the nonsense I posted on here as a teenager.

Flameswroth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:07 pm

My first home is invariably a log plank house...usually around a 7x7 internal area. When I first began, I liked to find a steep hill (slope of 3x1 or so) next to a body of water, then burrow into it from the front.

I dreaded the night before beds, and found charcoal to be a godsend to save me from ranging too far from spawn to see at night.
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Flameswroth wrote:

The thing about obbying up a door is that as obvious as building around it would be, people will automatically just start to work to remove it. Tnt and pressure plates is a classic, but pressure plates are really easy to spot. One thing I love about using end portals, even if they're impossible to come by by normal means, is you can't see them.
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:Ookay can we get away from trolling techniques and back to minecraft as it's supposed to be?

Greifing is one of the bets parts of minecraft.

Flameswroth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:25 pm

The Corparation wrote:The thing about obbying up a door is that as obvious as building around it would be, people will automatically just start to work to remove it. Tnt and pressure plates is a classic, but pressure plates are really easy to spot. One thing I love about using end portals, even if they're impossible to come by by normal means, is you can't see them.

Well there is one thing I was sure to check on: by placing them directly within the doorways, I hoped to pass them off as automatic door openers/closers. And they DO function that way, so the oddness of their placement is lessened more than, say, a random plate in the middle of the room. It's just that in addition to powering the door, it also powers the redstone wiring a mere one block below...

As a man of only very limited creativity, but a fascination with the game's potential for it, this is the best expression I know of :)

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Flameswroth wrote:
The Corparation wrote:The thing about obbying up a door is that as obvious as building around it would be, people will automatically just start to work to remove it. Tnt and pressure plates is a classic, but pressure plates are really easy to spot. One thing I love about using end portals, even if they're impossible to come by by normal means, is you can't see them.

Well there is one thing I was sure to check on: by placing them directly within the doorways, I hoped to pass them off as automatic door openers/closers. And they DO function that way, so the oddness of their placement is lessened more than, say, a random plate in the middle of the room. It's just that in addition to powering the door, it also powers the redstone wiring a mere one block below...

As a man of only very limited creativity, but a fascination with the game's potential for it, this is the best expression I know of :)

That's actually a genius idea. Will keep it in mind.

Salvarity
Senator

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Salvarity » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 pm

i hid in someones house. First time on Minecraft Survival was Multiplayer.
Praetor of the Empire of Mare Nostrum
World Assembly Delegate of the Empire of Mare Nostrum

King of the British Isles
Prime Minister of the British Isles
Defense Minister of the British Isles
Home Minister of the British Isles
Culture Minister of the British Isles
MP of Parliament for Northern Ireland
Co-Founder of the SDLP in the British Isles
Admiral of the Royal British Isles Navy
Marquess of Winchester

Minister of the Exterior in the Land of Kings and Emperors
Minister of the Interior in the Land of Kings and Emperors
Senator in the Imperial Senate
Field Marshal Lieutenant of the Imperial Army of the Land of Kings and Emperors
Baron of Nassau

Lance Corporal in the North Pacific Army

Merryman in the United Defenders League

Flameswroth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:41 pm

The Corparation wrote:That's actually a genius idea. Will keep it in mind.

Indeed. There are so many amazing uses for Minecraft's power system, and each of them goes up one level of awesomeness when you splice in a hidden wire leading to TNT.

That's gonna be my motto from now on.

Yallak
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 02, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Yallak » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Minecraft is the bomb! I never touch single-player anymore though, its got nothing after you've played co-cooperatively with others on a multi-player server.

This is my current project on my server:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... -arrandin/

And the one before that:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... of-abydos/
Proud member of Tyrrhenia roleplaying community

"My enemy’s enemy is a problem for later. In the meantime, they might be useful."

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Yallak wrote:Minecraft is the bomb! I never touch single-player anymore though, its got nothing after you've played co-cooperatively with others on a multi-player server.

And the one before that:

It does look pretty.

The Corparation wrote:
Mad hatters in jeans wrote:Ookay can we get away from trolling techniques and back to minecraft as it's supposed to be?

Greifing is one of the bets parts of minecraft.

Nope.

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Yallak wrote:Minecraft is the bomb! I never touch single-player anymore though, its got nothing after you've played co-cooperatively with others on a multi-player server.

And the one before that:

Not if your internet is slow :v

Those are very nice, I envy your work. Nice job!
Last edited by North Wiedna on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Greifing is one of the bets parts of minecraft.

Nope.

Why so negative? I don't go and grief things like huge projects that people shoved a ton of time into. (I had a half a weeks work on a city wiped out a minute before I logged on to back the server up. I don't consider it griefing just being a douche bag to the nth degree) But messing around with less important stuff and boboy trapping friends houses is fun.

And the one before that:

Nice, that reminds me I need to show of a few of mine. Sadly I can't show off my favorite creation as it was destroyed right before I logged on to back up the server. Will show off my Airship, and reshow the PVP arena, training center and skyscraper.

Arkania 5
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkania 5 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:54 pm

Who's enjoying 1.1 patch? I love the new bow enchantments.
MT <Compatible with FanT if needed>: The Shattered Enclave [INACTIVE]
FT: Aperture Industries
"The Shattered Enclave is technically a failed nation, but through all odds, they have survived as a million-headed hydra, all ready to simultaneously attack each other as their enemies. Wildly different factions, each with cultures that simply could not have developed within a hundred years, kept in a temporum of chaos...one wonders if more unexplained powers were involved in the creation of this monstrosity..."
WE ARE THE COLOR RED IN A WORLD FULL OF BLACK AND WHITE.....
tl;dr: Not a country or a nation. More like an entire world divided into a trillion pieces. Near impossible to invade. FanT/FT origins, MT/PMT technology.
Allanea wrote:evil shithole of a country

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:56 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
Nope.

Why so negative? I don't go and grief things like huge projects that people shoved a ton of time into. (I had a half a weeks work on a city wiped out a minute before I logged on to back the server up. I don't consider it griefing just being a douche bag to the nth degree) But messing around with less important stuff and boboy trapping friends houses is fun.

And the one before that:

Nice, that reminds me I need to show of a few of mine. Sadly I can't show off my favorite creation as it was destroyed right before I logged on to back up the server. Will show off my Airship, and reshow the PVP arena, training center and skyscraper.

Fair enough if it's friends.

Kentsland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kentsland » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:22 pm

Britcan wrote:

I cut down the first tree I can find, gather about a dozen blocks of dirt, make a pickaxe and run off to find the nearest area of exposed coal. Once I've found that I mine it then use the subsequent hole to make a house, covering the entrance up with the dirt from before.

This^

Usually 2-3 days in I go and start work on my awesome super complex fantastic house/mansion/complex/thing.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction