NATION

PASSWORD

MineCraft

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novograd IV
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Novograd IV » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Vocenae wrote:Now if only the UI wasn't a piece of shit, and the graphics not being worse than Minecraft's...

A 3 year old could figure out the UI enough to run a 'cold' fortress.

Getting workshops and furnaces is almost as easy, just because there isn't an illustration of what it is, doesn't make it a bad UI

And the graphics is partly a compromise to save memory, and part because it works that way, if you gave it a fully graphical interface, then the game would look incredibly choppy, not to mention that from a birds-eye view, how would you tell if your wall was a fortification, or whether or not it was engraved?

go and get a graphics pack, like Phoebus' one.
Novan Wiki (under [re]construction)

Economic Left/Right: -9.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.24

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/196124/

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Novograd IV wrote:
Vocenae wrote:Now if only the UI wasn't a piece of shit, and the graphics not being worse than Minecraft's...

A 3 year old could figure out the UI enough to run a 'cold' fortress.

Getting workshops and furnaces is almost as easy, just because there isn't an illustration of what it is, doesn't make it a bad UI

And the graphics is partly a compromise to save memory, and part because it works that way, if you gave it a fully graphical interface, then the game would look incredibly choppy, not to mention that from a birds-eye view, how would you tell if your wall was a fortification, or whether or not it was engraved?

go and get a graphics pack, like Phoebus' one.

No flamming, were all not-friends here (Talking to all, just using this as an example)
When we lose one we love, our bitterest tears are called forth by the memory of hours when we loved not enough. - Maurice Maeterlinck

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. - Washington Irving

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get. - Confucius

Soviet Canuckistan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Canuckistan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Inky Noodles wrote:There is a server you all can join.

I was refused, so is there a password?
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Novograd IV wrote:And then I got dwarf fortress, and realised that it was better.

No offence to all the minecrafters, but DF really does top it in addictiveness, re-playability and scope for what you can do.

ITs not really the same class of game though. Still brilliant though.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Novograd IV
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Novograd IV » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:57 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Novograd IV wrote:And then I got dwarf fortress, and realised that it was better.

No offence to all the minecrafters, but DF really does top it in addictiveness, re-playability and scope for what you can do.

ITs not really the same class of game though. Still brilliant though.

seeing as DF was part of the inspiration behind minecraft, I can see enough similarities to make it comparable.

Mesoland
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Soviet Canuckistan wrote:
Inky Noodles wrote:There is a server you all can join.

I was refused, so is there a password?

THAT'S THE OLD ETERNALCRAFT IP! OMG!
Go to 173.208.226.198!!!!

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Novograd IV wrote:
The Corparation wrote:ITs not really the same class of game though. Still brilliant though.

seeing as DF was part of the inspiration behind minecraft, I can see enough similarities to make it comparable.

Mastodon were really influenced by Iron Maiden.

Mastodon are Sludge Metal, and Iron Maiden are NWoBHM.

Your argument is an invalid.
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Novograd IV
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Novograd IV » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:10 pm

North Wiedna wrote:
Novograd IV wrote:

Mastodon were really influenced by Iron Maiden.

Mastodon are Sludge Metal, and Iron Maiden are NWoBHM.

Your argument is an invalid.

Underlined.

Swkoll
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Swkoll » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Durmatagno wrote:
Swkoll wrote:I made a custom map :D

Clickity

Played it, liked it, collected everything, and am now making it a personal quest to build a bridge system between all the islands then find a "mainland" and build a bridge to it. (Including underwater supports)

Good to hear you liked it :D
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Dec 21, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Need an Ignore Cannon?
Embassy NS wiki page
Current Wars: None as of now
Member of: Nothing right now
Defcon: 1 [2] 3 4 5
6*9=42
February 17, 2011: Never Forget.
Copy and paste this into your sig if you remember the old F7.
97% of People of NS won't notice I did my math wrong, if you are the 1% who did, copy and paste this into your sig.

I lost the Game.
Zonolia wrote:You are without doubt the smartest NS player ever...
Montiar wrote:Best f*cking idea for a storefront ever.

Bluth Corporation wrote:You know, I used to be anti-Obama.

Then the anti-Obama folks opened their mouths and I listened to what they had to say.

Now I'm pro-Obama.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Swkoll wrote:
Durmatagno wrote:
Played it, liked it, collected everything, and am now making it a personal quest to build a bridge system between all the islands then find a "mainland" and build a bridge to it. (Including underwater supports)

Good to hear you liked it :D

I liked the inclusion of the flaming wombat
When we lose one we love, our bitterest tears are called forth by the memory of hours when we loved not enough. - Maurice Maeterlinck

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. - Washington Irving

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get. - Confucius

Swkoll
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Swkoll » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Durmatagno wrote:
Swkoll wrote:Good to hear you liked it :D

I liked the inclusion of the flaming wombat

;)
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Dec 21, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Need an Ignore Cannon?
Embassy NS wiki page
Current Wars: None as of now
Member of: Nothing right now
Defcon: 1 [2] 3 4 5
6*9=42
February 17, 2011: Never Forget.
Copy and paste this into your sig if you remember the old F7.
97% of People of NS won't notice I did my math wrong, if you are the 1% who did, copy and paste this into your sig.

I lost the Game.
Zonolia wrote:You are without doubt the smartest NS player ever...
Montiar wrote:Best f*cking idea for a storefront ever.

Bluth Corporation wrote:You know, I used to be anti-Obama.

Then the anti-Obama folks opened their mouths and I listened to what they had to say.

Now I'm pro-Obama.

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:46 pm

I've been hopping from server to server...

Haven't really found any that are really interesting to me...
And so it was, that I had never changed.

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:28 pm

You know, I'm a big fan of mods, because they help to expand on the game in ways that Notch wouldn't dream of, like, for example, now I can slap a comically huge pair of tits on my character in the name of gender equality. However, if you so much as sneeze your whole game is fucked up beyond repair like some sort of gay black Mongolian hairdresser who claims he's just like everyone else just because he owns a dog (who is a chihuahua that shits rainbows). However, now, apparently, since the game uploaded, I have to go to every mod I downloaded and redownload it for the new version, and then I have to fiddle around with putting it in the .jar and stuff like that and the amount of effort that will take makes this task about as appealing as sticking your head into a meat grinder made of sharks. The alternative is even worse, you have to make a new world because the old one is filled with moddy goodness and play vanilla, which, after getting used to mods, is like sticking your head into a meat grinder made of sharks with diarrhea.

So, guess that means I won't be playing minecraft for about eight years until I forget what a mod is and I go on another nostalgia fix like I did with the Powerpuff Girls.
Last edited by North Wiedna on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Does anyone know of a good zombie survival cracked no hamachi server?

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Durmatagno wrote:Does anyone know of a good zombie survival cracked no hamachi server?

I got lost after "cracked"...

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:34 pm

North Wiedna wrote:You know, I'm a big fan of mods, because they help to expand on the game in ways that Notch wouldn't dream of, like, for example, now I can slap a comically huge pair of tits on my character in the name of gender equality. However, if you so much as sneeze your whole game is fucked up beyond repair like some sort of gay black Mongolian hairdresser who claims he's just like everyone else just because he owns a dog (who is a chihuahua that shits rainbows). However, now, apparently, since the game uploaded, I have to go to every mod I downloaded and redownload it for the new version, and then I have to fiddle around with putting it in the .jar and stuff like that and the amount of effort that will take makes this task about as appealing as sticking your head into a meat grinder made of sharks. The alternative is even worse, you have to make a new world because the old one is filled with moddy goodness and play vanilla, which, after getting used to mods, is like sticking your head into a meat grinder made of sharks with diarrhea.

So, guess that means I won't be playing minecraft for about eight years until I forget what a mod is and I go on another nostalgia fix like I did with the Powerpuff Girls.

Oh the jar file stuff, yeah i kinda stopped playing mods for a while, since all the updates from release i didn't think they'd be worth it until mayber later.
alternatively you can stop the updates from happening, thus protecting the modded worlds made.
Last edited by Mad hatters in jeans on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:43 pm

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:You know, I'm a big fan of mods, because they help to expand on the game in ways that Notch wouldn't dream of, like, for example, now I can slap a comically huge pair of tits on my character in the name of gender equality. However, if you so much as sneeze your whole game is fucked up beyond repair like some sort of gay black Mongolian hairdresser who claims he's just like everyone else just because he owns a dog (who is a chihuahua that shits rainbows). However, now, apparently, since the game uploaded, I have to go to every mod I downloaded and redownload it for the new version, and then I have to fiddle around with putting it in the .jar and stuff like that and the amount of effort that will take makes this task about as appealing as sticking your head into a meat grinder made of sharks. The alternative is even worse, you have to make a new world because the old one is filled with moddy goodness and play vanilla, which, after getting used to mods, is like sticking your head into a meat grinder made of sharks with diarrhea.

Oh the jar file stuff, yeah i kinda stopped playing mods for a while, since all the updates from release i didn't think they'd be worth it until mayber later.
alternatively you can stop the updates from happening, thus protecting the modded worlds made.

True, but, knowing me, I'll forget and then have to stick my head in one of the aforementioned meat grinders.

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:31 pm

Trying to find a good server...

Again...

I really wish I had a friend with a server...

It would make finding one a lot easier...
And so it was, that I had never changed.

Kentsland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kentsland » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:27 am

So what do you guys think of the 1.1 update?

And going back to the discussion of different "Let's play" Minecrafts, there is another one, done by a guy named "ironnie2195" and his videos are pretty good, I suggest you look him up on Youtube if you like Minecraft LP's. He also has some COD, FIFA, and Battlefield videos.

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Well, aside from the fact that the biome code fucked up (ice sheets and snow spreading in the middle of non-taiga, tundra biomes), it's been good.

But now I can't play on my main worlds because otherwise everything is going to get covered in ice and snow.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:08 am

This morning before work I snuck into my cousin's "store" she'd made on our family Minecraft server. Just inside each door, I placed a pressure plate that I then redwired underground to some TNT hidden under all of her chests.

Hehehe, now we play the waiting game...
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:39 am

Flameswroth wrote:This morning before work I snuck into my cousin's "store" she'd made on our family Minecraft server. Just inside each door, I placed a pressure plate that I then redwired underground to some TNT hidden under all of her chests.

Hehehe, now we play the waiting game...

How boring and unoriginal. Best way is to give yourself some 119. (End portal) And put it in the upper half of their doors or or at head level in the rooms. You can't see End portals from underneath so they'll walk into the building and get sent to end and lose all their stuff.
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Flameswroth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:39 am

The Corparation wrote:How boring and unoriginal. Best way is to give yourself some 119. (End portal) And put it in the upper half of their doors or or at head level in the rooms. You can't see End portals from underneath so they'll walk into the building and get sent to end and lose all their stuff.

You give yourself blocks? Isn't that like...cheating?

No, TNT gleaned from good ole fashioned creeper slayin' and some redstone from delving the depths will work just fine for me. I just hope she didn't log out in there or something and sees the pressure plates before stepping on them...
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Flameswroth wrote:
The Corparation wrote:How boring and unoriginal. Best way is to give yourself some 119. (End portal) And put it in the upper half of their doors or or at head level in the rooms. You can't see End portals from underneath so they'll walk into the building and get sent to end and lose all their stuff.

You give yourself blocks? Isn't that like...cheating?

No, TNT gleaned from good ole fashioned creeper slayin' and some redstone from delving the depths will work just fine for me. I just hope she didn't log out in there or something and sees the pressure plates before stepping on them...

Not really. Besides / give is the only way to get ender portal blocks for you to place.

Flameswroth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:15 pm

The Corparation wrote:Not really. Besides / give is the only way to get ender portal blocks for you to place.

And typing PointBreak is the only way to free you of the food restriction to 100 supply in Warcraft 3. But it's still cheating.

That said, I get that the creative aspect of Minecraft is just as crucial to its gameplay as the survival allure, and that in many modes the method of acquisition is of no importance when compared to the use of things acquired. To that end, it is not right for me to say such things are 'cheating'.

Would I ever do it, though? No. There's a sense of accomplishment in harvesting and placing the means of cousin-torture rather than willing them into existence with a command. Besides...I don't even have admin permissions to do it if I wanted to :P

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction