NATION

PASSWORD

Legitimate complaints about the General forum

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:14 pm

St George of England wrote:
Nadkor wrote:No, but it really is.

Really? So everything in F7 = spam?

As far as I can see the vast majority of F7 is precisely that.

But it's a spam forum, so that's fine.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:17 pm

Syvorji wrote:Here is my suggestion to solve the problem.

Why not bring back the April Fool's 2010 discussion zones, one for the Liberals, one for the Conservatives, to replace both General and Forum 7. One would lean to fun, while the other would lean to seriousness, since honestly, those discussion zones really replaced F7 for a day, instead of General, and if we merge them and split them, the flavor will be good. One for the mocha, one for the decaf. (mocha = Fun, decaf = seriousness).

This is a terrible, terrible, idea.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:18 pm

Nadkor wrote:
St George of England wrote:Really? So everything in F7 = spam?

Someone hasn't looked at some of the RPs. And there's much of NSG that could be considered worthless.
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Audentias Gryphus
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Audentias Gryphus » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Nadkor wrote:
St George of England wrote:Really? So everything in F7 = spam?

There could not be more of a contrast between your statement and the OSRS.

NERVUN wrote:Forum 7
Forum 7 (or F7)
is intended for casual chatter. Conversation threads, word games, silly forum games, and social threads such as the Paradise Club of ye olde days are permitted in this section. The key point here is that this is intended to be a relaxed fun area, so please remember not to take things too seriously. The following rules apply to F7:
  • Posts made in this forum DO NOT add to your postcount. As far as your postcount is concerned, posts here don't exist. So posting absolutely pointless spam (IE: a thread of nothing but smilies, or the typical post-whoring "+1!") isn't allowed.
  • Auto-prune is activated on this forum and is set to 5 days. Threads that have not been posted in for more than 5 days will be auto-deleted to reduce clutter and minimize potential strain on the server.
  • This area is NOT a spam forum!

As written by source.
The Eastern Islands of Dharma
Marcus R. Maurolico President
Alessandro del Monte Foreign Minister
Economic Left/Right: 2.97
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.88
Part-time bartender, entertainer, architect and a frequent for Mama Nana's Bistro.
Oberst of Castle Taltos.
Currently living at Weegee's Mojave Home.
I am a bisexual intersexual. Thank you Unicario!
Male personality: Happily taken by a very special girl. :3 [IRL]
Female personality: Married to UberWeegeeia! November 21, 2010. [IC]

Sarkhaan
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarkhaan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:29 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Maurepas wrote:I think a hard line's not the way to go about it, case-by-case is, I would think, the best. Just ask, as you say in your post, "Does this sound like a forum post or a chat room?" ;)

Not so much a hard line, but a guideline.

I'd rather not kill off Paul to make Peter more sociable.

Even if Paul has it coming? ;)

The Deleted Chris
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Deleted Chris » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Nadkor wrote:

Why not bring back the April Fool's 2010 discussion zones, one for the Liberals, one for the Conservatives, to replace both General and Forum 7. One would lean to fun, while the other would lean to seriousness, since honestly, those discussion zones really replaced F7 for a day, instead of General, and if we merge them and split them, the flavor will be good. One for the mocha, one for the decaf. (mocha = Fun, decaf = seriousness).

Indeed. Perhaps we could just use some common sense and trust to the intelligence of most posters to flag up genuinely vapid threads in Moderation?

Sarkhaan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarkhaan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Nadkor wrote:
The Norwegian Blue wrote:I don't hate Forum 7. It's not for me, but the people who enjoy it enjoy it, and that's great. I hate that somewhere along the line, General stopped being a forum "for discussion and debate about anything" and became a forum "for discussion and debate about anything serious." I like serious threads. I just like being able to take a break from serious threads and engage the same people I was just arguing with in a pleasant conversation about how we both think Dr. House is totally sexy and Kinder eggs are delicious, and since the move and the addition of Forum 7, it seems like all the threads where that sort of pleasant social conversation can occur get yanked out of General to die ignominious and spammy deaths elsewhere, while Generalites go right on viewing each other as allies and adversaries rather than friends and acquaintances.

Excellently put.

It's like I've said before. I still don't get why the decision was made to divide General into parts: debate, arts, and spam.

As it stood on Jolt, spam could happen in the spam forum, and everything else was good in General. I fail to see why the decision was made when the old system was fine and why, once the new system proved to have numerous flaws, it wasn't fixed.

I still say get rid of the arts forum and fold that back into General. Keep f7 as a word game type forum, akin to the spam forum on Jolt, and return NSG to the old system where it was, as stated, "discussion and debate about anything".

Oh, and what's with me having to review posts again? Is that just me and I clicked something stupid, or is everyone getting that?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Nadkor wrote:

Agreed.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Sarkhaan wrote:
Nadkor wrote:
Excellently put.

It's like I've said before. I still don't get why the decision was made to divide General into parts: debate, arts, and spam.

As it stood on Jolt, spam could happen in the spam forum, and everything else was good in General. I fail to see why the decision was made when the old system was fine and why, once the new system proved to have numerous flaws, it wasn't fixed.

I still say get rid of the arts forum and fold that back into General. Keep f7 as a word game type forum, akin to the spam forum on Jolt, and return NSG to the old system where it was, as stated, "discussion and debate about anything".

Oh, and what's with me having to review posts again? Is that just me and I clicked something stupid, or is everyone getting that?

Uhhh, and what of the many, many RPs that go on in F7? Where would they go?

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Sarkhaan wrote:Oh, and what's with me having to review posts again? Is that just me and I clicked something stupid, or is everyone getting that?

I believe that always happens in Moderation/Technical/Gameplay/Got Issues. Possibly the RP boards as well, can't remember. It's just turned off by default in the off-topic fora.

St George of England wrote:Uhhh, and what of the many, many RPs that go on in F7? Where would they go?

F7 will probably be unchanged -- our discussion so far has focused mainly on NSG.

Unless people think it should be changed, of course.
Last edited by Czardas on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Sarkhaan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarkhaan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:41 pm

Sarkhaan wrote:It's like I've said before. I still don't get why the decision was made to divide General into parts: debate, arts, and spam.

Uhhh, and what of the many, many RPs that go on in F7? Where would they go?

They can stay in F7. General is expressly OOC (save the few exceptions like the office party...which may or may not have been moved over to F7)

St George of England
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:43 pm

Czardas wrote:
Sarkhaan wrote:Oh, and what's with me having to review posts again? Is that just me and I clicked something stupid, or is everyone getting that?

I believe that always happens in Moderation/Technical/Gameplay/Got Issues. Possibly the RP boards as well, can't remember. It's just turned off by default in the off-topic fora.

That's what I thought.
St George of England wrote:Uhhh, and what of the many, many RPs that go on in F7? Where would they go?

F7 will probably be unchanged -- our discussion so far has focused mainly on NSG.

Unless people think it should be changed, of course.

I meant in relation to Sarkhaan's suggestion to "keep F7 a word game type forum"

Syvorji
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Syvorji » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:45 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Nadkor wrote:

Agreed.

It actually will be a good idea, because when it was used on April Fools Day, it took over the role of F7, before it was pushed to the archives, and if we merge both, it will benefit both NSG and F7-goer's. That is what I call a deal.

Audentias Gryphus
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Audentias Gryphus » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:46 pm

The Norwegian Blue wrote:-snip-

You may be forgetting that the two other threads in General Discussion exist for the sole purpose of removing constant stress only on the General Forum, and so that people can generally expect something when they visit A&F or F7. General is intended to fill the middle ground, and many topics of discussion have been allowed to stand in General, including the "Kink" thread.

Discussion* about a topic that has a solid OP to do so upon leads to a pretty good thread in General. Anything else, like side chatter or specific discussion of literary works fall into the other two categories. Now, creating a fourth thread might seem like a viable option, but it's a poor route to take. There isn't a huge gap between the seriousness of General and the spamishness of F7 that would require a new thread. What would you put in that thread that doesn't belong in General or F7? They aren't polar opposites. Therefore the three of them are fairly satisfactory in my view.

*this word I cannot stress enough
The Eastern Islands of Dharma
Marcus R. Maurolico President
Alessandro del Monte Foreign Minister
Economic Left/Right: 2.97
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.88
Part-time bartender, entertainer, architect and a frequent for Mama Nana's Bistro.
Oberst of Castle Taltos.
Currently living at Weegee's Mojave Home.
I am a bisexual intersexual. Thank you Unicario!
Male personality: Happily taken by a very special girl. :3 [IRL]
Female personality: Married to UberWeegeeia! November 21, 2010. [IC]

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:48 pm

Nadkor wrote:

Someone hasn't looked at some of the RPs.

I only wish that were the case.

And there's much of NSG that could be considered worthless.

Now you're the one deriding other forums as worthless...

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:50 pm

Geniasis wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Like I said, we are open to suggestions (Currently we're talking about it), but it's a matter of what Community A (General) would like to see and making sure it doesn't overlap too much with Community B (F7).

That's why I'm asking is to see what you guys want... Otherwise we get to decide. :p

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that you guys are seriously discussing this behind closed doors. I think that speaks more to the fact that there's been this thick level of cynicism on the subject for the longest time.

Believe it or not, we DO actually listen. And you have a number of Mods who got their start in General and think of it as home, so we don't want to lose it either
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

St George of England
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:50 pm

Nadkor wrote:
St George of England wrote:Someone hasn't looked at some of the RPs.

I only wish that were the case.

Snobbery, How Delightfully British.
And there's much of NSG that could be considered worthless.

Now you're the one deriding other forums as worthless...

Abortion threads. That's all I say.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Audentias Gryphus wrote:
Nadkor wrote:

There could not be more of a contrast between your statement and the OSRS.

NERVUN wrote:Forum 7
Forum 7 (or F7)
is intended for casual chatter. Conversation threads, word games, silly forum games, and social threads such as the Paradise Club of ye olde days are permitted in this section. The key point here is that this is intended to be a relaxed fun area, so please remember not to take things too seriously. The following rules apply to F7:
  • Posts made in this forum DO NOT add to your postcount. As far as your postcount is concerned, posts here don't exist. So posting absolutely pointless spam (IE: a thread of nothing but smilies, or the typical post-whoring "+1!") isn't allowed.
  • Auto-prune is activated on this forum and is set to 5 days. Threads that have not been posted in for more than 5 days will be auto-deleted to reduce clutter and minimize potential strain on the server.
  • This area is NOT a spam forum!

As written by source.

What the rules say F7 is and what the reality of F7 is are very different.

Sarkhaan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarkhaan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Audentias Gryphus wrote:
The Norwegian Blue wrote:-snip-

You may be forgetting that the two other threads in General Discussion exist for the sole purpose of removing constant stress only on the General Forum, and so that people can generally expect something when they visit A&F or F7. General is intended to fill the middle ground, and many topics of discussion have been allowed to stand in General, including the "Kink" thread.

Discussion* about a topic that has a solid OP to do so upon leads to a pretty good thread in General. Anything else, like side chatter or specific discussion of literary works fall into the other two categories. Now, creating a fourth thread might seem like a viable option, but it's a poor route to take. There isn't a huge gap between the seriousness of General and the spamishness of F7 that would require a new thread. What would you put in that thread that doesn't belong in General or F7? They aren't polar opposites. Therefore the three of them are fairly satisfactory in my view.

General doesn't exist to fill the gap, as General is the oldest. The other two are spin-offs which, much like in the TV world, are less successful (at least in my opinion), and degrade the original.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Sarkhaan wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Not so much a hard line, but a guideline.

I'd rather not kill off Paul to make Peter more sociable.

Even if Paul has it coming? ;)

Even then. Besides, Paul made some great songs. :p
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

St George of England
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Sarkhaan wrote:
Audentias Gryphus wrote:You may be forgetting that the two other threads in General Discussion exist for the sole purpose of removing constant stress only on the General Forum, and so that people can generally expect something when they visit A&F or F7. General is intended to fill the middle ground, and many topics of discussion have been allowed to stand in General, including the "Kink" thread.

General doesn't exist to fill the gap, as General is the oldest. The other two are spin-offs which, much like in the TV world, are less successful (at least in my opinion), and degrade the original.

St George of England wrote:Snobbery, How Delightfully British.

Sarkhaan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarkhaan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Sarkhaan wrote:General doesn't exist to fill the gap, as General is the oldest. The other two are spin-offs which, much like in the TV world, are less successful (at least in my opinion), and degrade the original.

St George of England wrote:Snobbery, How Delightfully British.

A) I'm not British.
B) That isn't snobbery. The arts forum is...okay. It doesn't get the traffic that General does, however, which degrades it significantly. F7 is pseudo-RP (I'm not a big RPer to begin with) and spam, both of which bore me fairly quickly. They also both remove aspects of General which used to be a huge part of that forum. And yes, it is inaccurate to state that General exists to fill a gap between the other two.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:03 pm

NERVUN wrote:Believe it or not, we DO actually listen. And you have a number of Mods who got their start in General and think of it as home, so we don't want to lose it either

I know that logically, but at least I've been feeling this cynicism over the past few months especially that there's this perceived disconnect between posters and mods. That I know it doesn't exist, at least on an intentional level is somehow less convincing when the atmosphere just reads defeatist. :p
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Sarkhaan wrote:
Nadkor wrote:
Excellently put.

Actually, the Arts and Fiction forum used to be the Jennifer Government forum.

Sarkhaan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarkhaan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:10 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Sarkhaan wrote:It's like I've said before. I still don't get why the decision was made to divide General into parts: debate, arts, and spam.

Actually, the Arts and Fiction forum used to be the Jennifer Government forum.

Huh...weird.

Granted, I think the JG forum had all of...three? Four? posts the entire time I saw it kicking around.

I'll stand by keeping making "General discussion and debate about anything" meaning what it says. I see the other two forums as being a needlessly complex system, and have yet to see any positive consequence of their existence except to perhaps alleviate the spamming on NSG...which, honestly, it doesn't seem to do that well, and isn't inherently a good thing. A little spam every now and then isn't all bad.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation