NATION

PASSWORD

[Q] Ominous Loom by Mod who was an active participant

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Trump Almighty
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

[Q] Ominous Loom by Mod who was an active participant

Postby Trump Almighty » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:05 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Trump Almighty wrote:
Well then, if you support fun in your reasonable world, then why not attend one of my MAGA rallies. I have one planned in Sacramento California. It will be loads of fun! I will focus on how Gavin Newsom, a Radical Leftist, is a Yuge Hypocrite. The So-Called Governor has wasted millions of dollars of taxpayer money to pay for an anti-recall campaign, then immediately turned his back on his electors. He is not a man who cares about his voters like you or I.

What does this have to do with the thread topic? This shtick of yours is getting real old - and real spammy.

I’ve browsed the Moderation thread before, and one of the rules is that a Mod who is not an active participant on someone’s thread, cannot make rulings on another nation’s post. Necroghastia has posted multiple times on the Furries thread. I’m wondering if that rule applies to Ominous Looms- which the post above appears to be.
Last edited by Trump Almighty on Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rosie O’Donnell is Fat!
“She went to my wedding. She had lots and lots of cake, and I'll tell you what, she is a terrible human being.”

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:46 pm

Generally speaking, making a ruling would ideally be made by someone who had not participated, unless it's something that needs immediate attention -- posting something truly egregious. And no, not "Mountain Dew is swill, Coke forever!" egregious, but "OH MY GOD MY EYES MY EYES I NEED BRAIN BLEACH" egregious.

"Let's get this back on track" isn't really a ruling per se, so it would not be a conflict of interest. If the behavior that they're reminding about continues into rule-breaking and making a ruling territory, some other mod would deal with it.
Last edited by Katganistan on Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2022
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:54 pm

Katganistan wrote:Generally speaking, making a ruling would ideally be made by someone who had not participated, unless it's something that needs immediate attention -- posting something truly egregious. And no, not "Mountain Dew is swill, Coke forever!" egregious, but "OH MY GOD MY EYES MY EYES I NEED BRAIN BLEACH" egregious.

"Let's get this back on track" isn't really a ruling per se, so it would not be a conflict of interest. If the behavior that they're reminding about continues into rule-breaking and making a ruling territory, some other mod would deal with it.

This is only in reference to this particular case, right? My first instinct is to ask if there are instances where even a reminder constitutes a conflict of interest, but maybe that veers into "ruling on a hypothetical" territory. So, instead, I'm going to ask, just in general, is this only an exception in this case because the loom was not particularly about something the two of them were discussing as players?
Free Palestine

Trans men are men | Trans women are women | Sex is non-binary
Assigned sex isn't biological sex | Trans rights are human rights

Neuroscientist | Formerly Heavens Reach | He/Him/His

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:33 pm

The Overmind wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Generally speaking, making a ruling would ideally be made by someone who had not participated, unless it's something that needs immediate attention -- posting something truly egregious. And no, not "Mountain Dew is swill, Coke forever!" egregious, but "OH MY GOD MY EYES MY EYES I NEED BRAIN BLEACH" egregious.

This is only in reference to this particular case, right? My first instinct is to ask if there are instances where even a reminder constitutes a conflict of interest, but maybe that veers into "ruling on a hypothetical" territory. So, instead, I'm going to ask, just in general, is this only an exception in this case because the loom was not particularly about something the two of them were discussing as players?

viewtopic.php?p=16394949#p16394949

Can a Moderator act as a Moderator in a thread that they are in?
Yes and no. A Mod will not rule on a person they are in a forum/game conflict with (such as an RP conflict or a debate in General) unless the action is one where speed is needed (Such as posting graphic images). However, if a Moderator sees other posters breaking the rules, they are free to act as they see fit. Mods can also perform ‘bookkeeping’ tasks such as editing posts to repair bad code or splitting threads.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2022
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:06 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=16394949#p16394949

Can a Moderator act as a Moderator in a thread that they are in?
Yes and no. A Mod will not rule on a person they are in a forum/game conflict with (such as an RP conflict or a debate in General) unless the action is one where speed is needed (Such as posting graphic images). However, if a Moderator sees other posters breaking the rules, they are free to act as they see fit. Mods can also perform ‘bookkeeping’ tasks such as editing posts to repair bad code or splitting threads.

That is precisely what I'm asking for clarity on. This is a gray zone in the rules.
Free Palestine

Trans men are men | Trans women are women | Sex is non-binary
Assigned sex isn't biological sex | Trans rights are human rights

Neuroscientist | Formerly Heavens Reach | He/Him/His

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:51 pm

This one got discussed overnight by the team, who felt it would have been better for Necroghastia to avoid the use of red text in that post, which she acknowledged. Players participating in a debate are allowed to try to direct a thread back to the topic, but the red text gave it the appearance of a mod ruling.

Return to Moderation