NATION

PASSWORD

Megathread?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Megathread?

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:58 am

On same-sex marriage, perhaps? We've two now in General, viewtopic.php?f=20&t=231901 and viewtopic.php?f=20&t=231901. I can see more popping up between now and June when SCOTUS rules on Prop. 8 and DOMA.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

I Want to Smash Them All
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Please don't

Postby I Want to Smash Them All » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:01 am

Farnhamia wrote:On same-sex marriage, perhaps? We've two now in General, viewtopic.php?f=20&t=231901 and viewtopic.php?f=20&t=231901. I can see more popping up between now and June when SCOTUS rules on Prop. 8 and DOMA.

Farn is right that there will likely be many threads on this subject (and there are more than two active now). BUT:

1) there are many, many different aspects to the topic of same-sex marriage (all of which can be discussed -- rationally or not, narrowly or not -- in a long thread and deserve separate discussions);

2) the DOMA and Prop. 8 cases alone pose very different issues;

3) it is not really difficult or inconvenient for posters to simply not post in, ignore, etc., threads;

4) it is often difficult (if not impossible) to maintain intelligent discussion in a megathread -- particularly if one is overly broad;

5) actually duplicative threads may always be combined or locked (and, although this involves Mod effort, so does locking/combining threads that duplicate the megathread).

Please do not create a megathread on so broad a topic. It is difficult enough to intelligently discussion these issues.
Goodbye. I have scrambled my password. Bob Mould, Stupid Now; Tom Waits, I Don't Want to Grow Up; Pixies, Hey; Cracker, Turn On Tune In Drop Out With Me; The Jesus and Mary Chain, Reverence; L7, Shove; Liz Phair, Polyester Bride; Jane's Addiction, Ain't No Right; Amanda Fucking Palmer, Want It Back; Hole, Violet; Butthole Surfers, Pepper; Grateful Dead, New, New Minglewood Blues; Woody Guthrie's I Ain't Got No Home performed by Bruce Springsteen

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:09 am

At this time, I'm inclined to leave it to the two. If it becomes something which overwhelms the front page, then certainly a megathread would become necessary.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:16 am

Katganistan wrote:At this time, I'm inclined to leave it to the two. If it becomes something which overwhelms the front page, then certainly a megathread would become necessary.

Very well, I'll leave it to the hive-mind.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Return to Moderation