NATION

PASSWORD

[discussion] pronoun silliness

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nusaresa
Minister

Founded: Aug 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:51 pm

I think it is best to settle for the singular third person pronouns sans 'it' as that particular pronoun does carry a certain sense of dehumanization and objectification of the individual.
Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Interesting read. I'll sum up my thoughts simply - for a change.

Be who and what you want out there, believe and support anything you like - just don't be a dick when posting. Simple as.

It isn't about the expression of transgender individuals. Rather it's abiding by the correct pronoun those who are transgender use.

The usage of a singular 'they' or 'them' appears to be the most neutral choice of pronoun so as not to instigate any drama on the matter.
Last edited by Nusaresa on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Republic of Nusaresa

A Southeast Asian getaway with long unbroken beaches, many historical sites, and a world class quality of life. Enjoy a pleasant dinner at the many restaurants, snorkeling at the pristine lagoon, or discover the Nusarese heritage through a tour of the country.

Nusaresa welcomes you.
Jochizyd Republic wrote:Death by honorable child soldier is less humiliating than death by Antifa activist.

confirmed yandere bishounen
Climate Change needs to stop being a partisan issue

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:57 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Gregoryisgodistan wrote:Question - would the rules be any different for deliberately misgenderkng a well-known transgender figure who almost certainly isn't a member of the site and thus can't be flamed? Someone like Caitlyn Jenner or Chelsea Manning? And would this also apply to calling them by their previous name (Bruce or Bradley)? Obviously the latter isn't an issue for site members since revealing their full name is doxing and probably instant DOS whether they're trans or not.

In The Beginning Max made the...

Er, sorry.

At the start of the rule, it was originally written to include people off forum, but that did make the rule too restrictive as well as it was pointed out that protection of the rules usually do not apply to anyone not on the forum (Meaning I can call Prime Minister Abe a baka if I so wish being fairly confident that he isn't playing NS, he's too busy crawling through green pipes). So, the simple answer to your question is no, the misgendering rule does not apply to anyone offsite, it ONLY applies to NS players.

Does the same apply to nicknaming? Can I call the Republican presidential candidate Tiny-Fingered Cheeto Benito?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:15 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
NERVUN wrote:In The Beginning Max made the...

Er, sorry.

At the start of the rule, it was originally written to include people off forum, but that did make the rule too restrictive as well as it was pointed out that protection of the rules usually do not apply to anyone not on the forum (Meaning I can call Prime Minister Abe a baka if I so wish being fairly confident that he isn't playing NS, he's too busy crawling through green pipes). So, the simple answer to your question is no, the misgendering rule does not apply to anyone offsite, it ONLY applies to NS players.

Does the same apply to nicknaming? Can I call the Republican presidential candidate Tiny-Fingered Cheeto Benito?

As we have a specific rule calling out and forbidding political nicknaming, I find it difficult to believe that this post was made in good faith.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:36 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Does the same apply to nicknaming? Can I call the Republican presidential candidate Tiny-Fingered Cheeto Benito?

As we have a specific rule calling out and forbidding political nicknaming, I find it difficult to believe that this post was made in good faith.

Why is it acceptable to misgender non-users but not to use nicknames for them, though?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:27 am

Linux and the X wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Why is it acceptable to misgender non-users but not to use nicknames for them, though?

Really?

If we ever get to a transgendered political candidate or serving politician, then it would apply. Until then, we're talking about someone who is not present on the forum and who does not have a following of people to whom such nicknames are a form of baiting and trolling that add nothing to the debate and cannot be debated.

And before you go there, let me state clearly that no, it's not trolling transgendered people under site rules. If we went that route we might as well shut down NSG because then questioning anything that has members of said group on the forum would be baiting and/or trolling.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:53 am

NERVUN wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Why is it acceptable to misgender non-users but not to use nicknames for them, though?

Really?

If we ever get to a transgendered political candidate or serving politician, then it would apply. Until then, we're talking about someone who is not present on the forum and who does not have a following of people to whom such nicknames are a form of baiting and trolling that add nothing to the debate and cannot be debated.

And before you go there, let me state clearly that no, it's not trolling transgendered people under site rules. If we went that route we might as well shut down NSG because then questioning anything that has members of said group on the forum would be baiting and/or trolling.

Just to make sure I understand: no mocking (with nicknames or misgendering) of other posters or politicians, but other famous people are fair game? If so, when (if ever) do politicians return to being fair game? Can I mock Bush Jr, since he's retired from politics? Thatcher, since she's dead? Neville Chamberlain, since his supporters are (probably) dead? Is Amonhotep still protected?
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:09 am

Linux and the X wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Really?

Just to make sure I understand: no mocking (with nicknames or misgendering) of other posters or politicians, but other famous people are fair game? If so, when (if ever) do politicians return to being fair game? Can I mock Bush Jr, since he's retired from politics? Thatcher, since she's dead? Neville Chamberlain, since his supporters are (probably) dead? Is Amonhotep still protected?

The point is to protect a politician's followers, not the politician themselves. It doesn't matter if the politician is still active, or even if they are still alive.

We might be a little more lenient with out-of-date names like Chamberlain or Amonhotep, since they are less likely to have a lot of passionate supporters on NS, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to get smacked.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:29 am

Nusaresa wrote:I think it is best to settle for the singular third person pronouns sans 'it' as that particular pronoun does carry a certain sense of dehumanization and objectification of the individual.
Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Interesting read. I'll sum up my thoughts simply - for a change.

Be who and what you want out there, believe and support anything you like - just don't be a dick when posting. Simple as.

It isn't about the expression of transgender individuals. Rather it's abiding by the correct pronoun those who are transgender use.

The usage of a singular 'they' or 'them' appears to be the most neutral choice of pronoun so as not to instigate any drama on the matter.

Oddly enough, I wasn't referring to transgender individuals. I was referring to everyone else. Let me clarify further, since it seems it's needed:

"You don't have to agree with it, or approve of it. That's ok - it doesn't require your approval to be a thing. You can believe as you like, take whatever stand you prefer on the matter - that is your choice. But it is not a valid choice here, on these forums at least, to denigrate others, to deliberately abuse the rule or system in place to take a dig at transgender (or frankly, any other group or person), and expect to 'get away with it'."

Also known as "Don't be a dick," as I stated previously.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:55 pm

USS Monitor wrote:The point is to protect a politician's followers, not the politician themselves. It doesn't matter if the politician is still active, or even if they are still alive.

But non-politician celebrities also have followers. Why are Trump fans (or Clinton fans) protected, but (say) Beyoncé fans aren't? And what about celebrities who are also political figures?
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:59 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:The point is to protect a politician's followers, not the politician themselves. It doesn't matter if the politician is still active, or even if they are still alive.

But non-politician celebrities also have followers. Why are Trump fans (or Clinton fans) protected, but (say) Beyoncé fans aren't? And what about celebrities who are also political figures?

You see the political nicknames thread down there? Go ask there. This derailment is ended.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:04 pm

I believe we have answered your questions as fully as they require: no political nicknaming; refer to transgender players here either by their preferred pronoun or by the commonly accepted and neutral 'they'.

Any further questioning about "but why doesn't it apply to all these other unrelated categories?" will be treated as bad faith posts and removed to the evidence locker.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation