NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:38 am

Updated!
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:45 am

Christian Democrats wrote:Updated!

"Current number of issues: 455*" clears throat

:p

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:49 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Updated!

"Current number of issues: 455*" clears throat

:p

Fixed. I'm not sure what the asterisk was for, so I just deleted it...

Also, have some of the issues not been modified to allow for male or female pronouns that correspond to the @@RANDOMNAME@@s?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:54 am

Christian Democrats wrote:Also, have some of the issues not been modified to allow for male or female pronouns that correspond to the @@RANDOMNAME@@s?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:00 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Also, have some of the issues not been modified to allow for male or female pronouns that correspond to the @@RANDOMNAME@@s?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Perhaps, I'm remembering somebody's suggestion...

When @@RANDOMNAME@@ generates a male name, male pronouns appear (he, him, his).
When @@RANDOMNAME@@ generates a female name, female pronouns appear (she, her).

Was this just a recommendation that I saw somewhere, or has it been coded into the issues?

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:04 am

Christian Democrats wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Perhaps, I'm remembering somebody's suggestion...

Was this just a recommendation that I saw somewhere, or has it been coded into the issues?

It's not quite like that. Instead we throw in @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ or @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@. Pronouns don't change. It's up to the editor to decide if pronouns are necessary and which one he wants to use for a given option.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:08 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Perhaps, I'm remembering somebody's suggestion...

It's not quite like that. Instead we throw in @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ or @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@. Pronouns don't change. It's up to the editor to decide if pronouns are necessary and which one he wants to use for a given option.

I knew that. I suppose I'm remembering a suggestion that I saw someone make (maybe here, maybe somewhere else) that the Issues Team should add in variable pronouns too. My bad.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:27 am

*Clears throat*

I would like to propose a toast for our new issues librarian, Christian Democrats. May they have a long, fruitful and competent tenure.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:08 pm

The handing over of the original posts of this thread to Christian Democrats has the amusing consequence that posts made on April 30, 2009 are attributed to a nation founded on July 29, 2009. :)

*Drachmaland joins the toast for Christian Democrat's librarianship*

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:41 pm

Drachmaland wrote:The handing over of the original posts of this thread to Christian Democrats has the amusing consequence that posts made on April 30, 2009 are attributed to a nation founded on July 29, 2009. :)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:06 pm

Yay!

Issue #464 wrote:The @@ANIMAL@@ Republic Shall Rise Again? [Omigodtheykilledkenny; ed. Gnejs]

The Issue

A coalition of civil rights activists and minority interest groups from all across Northern @@NAME@@ have renewed their calls for the regional government to stop displaying the flag of the now-defunct @@ANIMAL@@ Republic, a short-lived former breakaway nation known for its backward racial policies. The issue has divided the area for years, and with tensions running extra high, you have been asked to help settle the dispute once and for all.

The Debate

1. "It's unconscionable that politicians still defend flying such a repulsive racist symbol on government property!" declares Finlay Worship, a civil rights activist sporting colorful Tasmanian tribal attire - despite recent public revelations that she in fact has no Tasmanian ancestry whatsoever. "That flag has only ever been used to heighten racial divisions in this country; we must ban the display of the @@ANIMAL@@ Republic flag in any official capacity!"

2. "Bah!" scoffs Georgina Rifkin, a local politician and passionate reenactor, while waving a miniature @@ANIMAL@@ Republic flag. "This flag never hurt anyone! If you ask me, it's political correctness that's the real problem. Stores are pulling the flag off their shelves, and TV stations are refusing to run old shows and movies that feature it, for god's sake! The government should be pushing back against all this nonsense and start teaching Kennyite schoolchildren all the good things about that chapter of our history: the cultural pride felt by its citizens, the bravery and patriotism of its leaders! Those are values that never go out of style."

3. "I agree that the flag is harmful and should not be used, in any capacity," predictably declares Jennifer Cohen, president of the advocacy group 'Peaceful Resistance against Injurious Speech and Slanderous Yabber'. "But why stop there? What about ugly racial and ethnic slurs? Words hurt people a lot more than some silly relic, you know. Words like, 'hoopster'...'ringnose'...'Biggie Snarls'...oh sorry, is repeating all these epithets making people uncomfortable? Er, anyway, we can't tolerate the use of such awful language, and we should start fining people for hate speech, like they already do in many progressive countries."

4. "If y'all were to ask me, I'd say we were better off during the @@ANIMAL@@ Republic", says Declan Taffs, a local yokel of indeterminate age. "Back then us normal folks could go about using our own schools and buses without having to mix and mingle with those weird whatchamacallem's. @@LEADER@@, I'll be both frank and earnest, I don't give a hoot what flag y'all run up those poles of yours; just give me back my damned water fountain privileges!"

Thanks, Gnejs! Thanks, Issue Editing Team! Thanks, uh, Rachel Dolezal! :unsure:
Last edited by Omigodtheykilledkenny on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:58 am

Issue #463: Smart Cars Driving Regulators Up The Wall

The Issue
The development of self-driving cars has led to debate about what they should be programmed to do in the event of an emergency.

The Debate
  1. "It's pretty simple, really," opines freshman college student @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@ on her popular weekly podcast, 'Overthinking It.' "The car should be programmed to minimize injuries. For example, if it's tooling along a freeway and a schoolbus overturns ahead, the car should prioritize saving the greater number of lives, by slamming itself into the nearest wall."
  2. "I must say, that could be a hard sell to the public, cars that may decide to murder their drivers," says @@NAMEINITIALS@@-Motors Head of Marketing @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I haven't done a focus group. But that's my feeling. Look, it's perfectly legal today for a human driver to mow down as many schoolchildren as necessary to save his or her own life. Likewise, self-driving cars must prioritize saving the driver's life above all else. Otherwise, why would anyone buy one?"
  3. "This whole debate is ridiculous," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a software engineer who is fixing the fonts on your computer. "To be honest, these schoolbus scenarios sound like something dreamed up by a Philosophy 101 professor, not something that will actually happen in real life. It's not the place of software to weigh the value of human life! Just program them to follow the road rules at all times!"
  4. "Oh my God, I HATE those!" says impatient motorist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "They've been testing them near where I work. They drive like my grandmother, and she's in a coma. The other day I was late to work because the so-called Smart Car ahead was waiting for a squirrel to cross the road. A squirrel! I had to swing into oncoming traffic to get around it. And I had to hose the squirrel off my car afterward. Ban self-driving cars!"

Oddly enough, there are no author or editor names mentioned.

For the @@NAMEINITIALS@@-Motors I've put in option 463.2, it was A-Motors in my case (nation's initial is A) and I thought it was a variable — but I could be wrong.
In any case, all of you who know better than me about variables, please go through my post and let me know if there are any mistakes from my part.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:37 am

Drachmaland wrote:Oddly enough, there are no author or editor names mentioned.

Not that odd, there are 31 other issues in the game with no author or editor assigned.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:53 am

Sanctaria wrote:

Not that odd, there are 31 other issues in the game with no author or editor assigned.

I'd say HINT HINT. But I already said it somewhere in another thread.

Max wrote/edited it.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:54 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Not that odd, there are 31 other issues in the game with no author or editor assigned.

I'd say HINT HINT. But I already said it somewhere in another thread.

Max wrote/edited it.

You're such a buzz kill Luna :P

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:04 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:I'd say HINT HINT. But I already said it somewhere in another thread.

Max wrote/edited it.

You're such a buzz kill Luna :P

I prefer thief of joy.

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:18 am

Sanctaria wrote:

Not that odd if we were at 2002 or 2003 today. :P

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:24 am

What's #460 supposed to be? Does it even exist yet? :eyebrow:
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:30 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:What's #460 supposed to be? Does it even exist yet? :eyebrow:

It exists, bit rarer. Only 25 nations have received it this week.

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:00 am

Issue 466: @@NAME@@ Is Never Ever Getting Back Together... Like Ever

The Issue
After a printing error on the official @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ map left off the tiny @@ANIMAL@@ Peninsula, its sole inhabitant, Mike Ronation, declared independence from @@NAME@@. Following his arrest of a mailman who failed to enter the "proper customs", a group of concerned citizens have asked you to address the threat posed by Mr. Ronation. His protest has already spawned several secessionist movements almost overnight.

The Debate
  1. "Traitor!" roars @@RANDOMNAME@@, a controversial nationalist politician, before screaming a tirade of obscenities. "This is absolutely ludicrous. We have to send a message to people like this Ronation scumbag! You do not secede from @@NAME@@. It's that simple. For the good of our glorious @@TYPE@@, we must invade and bomb Ronation's home. In fact, once this is all over, we should have our military patrol the streets of this great country to send a message to other terrorists who are thinking of doing the same thing. Sure, some people might call this an invasion of freedom of speech, but for the sake of national unity, we must clampdown on the other ingrates following in his footsteps."
  2. "That won't be good for PR," chimes in your spokesperson, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while drafting your latest speech. "Considering how Mr. Ronation is no longer a part of @@NAME@@, he should no longer be entitled to our services. The more humane thing to do would be to ignore him, save for cutting off all essential services like water, electricity, and telecoms. We won't need to wait long before Mr. Ronation begs us to take him back. We can of course tax the Violet out of him when he returns. That will be much more effective - and cheaper - than sending in the troops. Then the groups he inspired will surely fall back in line!"
  3. "Making him needlessly suffer seems a tad bit extreme," suggests Mike's concerned grandmother @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@. "Sure, I'm a little upset that Mike doesn't want to be part of our wonderful country and that he tried to snap that mailman's neck, but you have to look at it from both perspectives. If the government wants to win back Mike and the secessionists he instigated, they could start by allowing greater autonomy to regions that want it. I'm sure that Mikey will gladly return to us if you show a little love and understanding."
  4. "The government can suck up to Mike as much as it wants, but it won't change a thing," rebuffs Jacques Strap, leader of a secessionist movement inspired by Mike Ronation's protest. "There is no excuse for the government to be treating Mike as a criminal when he has done nothing wrong. The government needs to leave him alone. In fact, the government should allow anyone to separate from @@NAME@@, so we can finally be free from the oppressive force of big government."
Issue by: The Sister Republics of Wallenburg
Editor: Nation of Quebec

Obviously the name Mike Ronation (cf. micronation) is not random.
Last edited by Drachmaland on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:23 am

Lots of issues getting added suddenly!

Drachmaland wrote:For the @@NAMEINITIALS@@-Motors I've put in option 463.2, it was A-Motors in my case (nation's initial is A) and I thought it was a variable — but I could be wrong.
It could also be @@DEMONYMADJECTIVEINITIALS@@. They're the same for the overwhelming majority of nations.

Kaboomlandia wrote:What's #460 supposed to be? Does it even exist yet? :eyebrow:
I told you what it is earlier ;)

It's a followup to #454 option 4 (banning agriculture). It's a chain issue, so if you choose that option you'll get it immediately.

Drachmaland wrote:Obviously the name Mike Ronation (cf. micronation) is not random.
It's from here. It was originally going to be "Max Barry", and then the more-amusing "Mike Rowe" (as in "Mike Rowe Nation" = "the nation of Mike Rowe"), but was then changed to avoid offending the real-life Mike Rowe.

Also, yay, the option I suggested made it in, even though the original writer didn't like it! I guess I have Nation of Quebec to thank for that?

The kittens didn't, however.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:50 pm

I've updated the issues. We're looking for #451, #460, and #465.

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:<snip>

Kenny, you missed a number of macros. :p

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:23 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Thanks, Gnejs! Thanks, Issue Editing Team! Thanks, uh, Rachel Dolezal! :unsure:

Thank you, it was a good draft :)

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:34 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Drachmaland wrote:Obviously the name Mike Ronation (cf. micronation) is not random.
It's from here. It was originally going to be "Max Barry", and then the more-amusing "Mike Rowe" (as in "Mike Rowe Nation" = "the nation of Mike Rowe"), but was then changed to avoid offending the real-life Mike Rowe.

Also, yay, the option I suggested made it in, even though the original writer didn't like it! I guess I have Nation of Quebec to thank for that?

The kittens didn't, however.

Well, as I said, I didn't want to have an all-around good option, and when the issues team gave me my issue, I immediately chose option 2. I'm glad to see that the editor liked your suggestion though.

Also, thank you, Nation of Quebec. You did some outstanding work with my rough draft. And now I have a nice, shiny badge! :lol:
Last edited by Wallenburg on Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Wallenburg wrote:Well, as I said, I didn't want to have an all-around good option, and when the issues team gave me my issue, I immediately chose option 2.

Yeah, I noticed the worded effect: "political dissidents are cut off from essential services". :blush:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?