NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Issue #226, Option 3

"That's a good point," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Civics. "Our people are the generators of the economy. The expats should be allowed to come back>>>,<<< but only if they stay. If we keep letting our citizens emigrate, then we're losing our doctors, our teachers, our skilled and unskilled workforce to damn foreigners! Close the borders to those wanting to leave our nation. If they can't see how wonderful @@NAME@@ is >>>,<<< then we'll make them!"

I think you should remove a comma in this option and also add a comma.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:00 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Issue #226, Option 3

"That's a good point," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Civics. "Our people are the generators of the economy. The expats should be allowed to come back>>>,<<< but only if they stay. If we keep letting our citizens emigrate, then we're losing our doctors, our teachers, our skilled and unskilled workforce to damn foreigners! Close the borders to those wanting to leave our nation. If they can't see how wonderful @@NAME@@ is >>>,<<< then we'll make them!"

I think you should remove a comma in this option and also add a comma.

We got the comma in there didn't we? :p

I'll fix this later tonight. Thanks!

Edit: Fixed
Last edited by Luna Amore on Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eisenfaust
Civilian

Founded: Oct 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eisenfaust » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:06 pm

I just got dilemma 43 which regards overcrowding of the nation's prisons, which is odd because I banned all prisons from my nation when I first started out; that's even one of the things that it talks about in my nation description that it's remarkable for!

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Eisenfaust wrote:I just got dilemma 43 which regards overcrowding of the nation's prisons, which is odd because I banned all prisons from my nation when I first started out; that's even one of the things that it talks about in my nation description that it's remarkable for!

At some point you reversed that decision, because your nation definitely utilizes prisons. I don't see the national description you are talking about either. Maybe it was there at one point, but it isn't anymore.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:31 am

Voltrovia wrote:The second response of Issue #67 (the option with General Bill Sherman) triggers the flavourtext: 'Following new legislation in Voltrovia, the government violently surpresses separatist movements.'

Instead of supresses the word should be spelt suppresses.

Looks like this was missed - fixed now.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:52 pm

Issue #304: Time for Paternity Leave, Say Dads

Description:
A coalition of working parents have put forward a petition that @@NAME@@'s maternity leave laws be extended to allow new fathers time off.

The word "has" should be used instead of the word "have."
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:05 pm

Issue 135: A Taxing Dilemma

1. "The tax situation in @@NATION@@ is ridiculous," says @@NAME@@ at the protest. "The taxes keep getting piled on and yet - I haste to add - the government doesn't seem to realise that they already have practically all our money! We've been reduced to bartering for goodness sake! I haven't seen a decent wad of @@CURRENCY@@ in years! ..."

"haste" doesn't seem like the right word here. I'm not completely sure what the intention is, though, so I hesitate to offer an alternative.

It seems to me that "@@CURRENCY@@" should be plural in this case.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:08 pm

Issue #304: Time for Paternity Leave, Say Dads

Description:
A coalition of working parents have put forward a petition that @@NAME@@'s maternity leave laws be extended to allow new fathers time off.

The word "has" should be used instead of the word "have."

In British English the conjugation "have" is perfectly acceptable, since they deal with collective nouns such as "coalition" as plurals.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:29 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Issue 135: A Taxing Dilemma

1. "The tax situation in @@NATION@@ is ridiculous," says @@NAME@@ at the protest. "The taxes keep getting piled on and yet - I haste to add - the government doesn't seem to realise that they already have practically all our money! We've been reduced to bartering for goodness sake! I haven't seen a decent wad of @@CURRENCY@@ in years! ..."

"haste" doesn't seem like the right word here. I'm not completely sure what the intention is, though, so I hesitate to offer an alternative.

It seems to me that "@@CURRENCY@@" should be plural in this case.

I think it should be 'I hasten to add'. Fixed both that and the currency.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:56 am

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:The word "has" should be used instead of the word "have."

In British English the conjugation "have" is perfectly acceptable, since they deal with collective nouns such as "coalition" as plurals.

I was not aware of that. Thank you.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:36 pm

Issue #144, Description

After a recent election instated a small dog as a member of parliament, the fringe group "Brains for Ballots" has demanded for the government to tighten voting restrictions.

I think an "a" should be added before the word "member."

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Syeda25
Civilian

Founded: Oct 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Syeda25 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:20 pm

I've never posted in the forums before, so apologies if I'm in the wrong place or am meant to format my post differently.

#165: Wedlock Worries [Ice Hockey Players; ed:Sirocco]

The Issue
After a recent article in 'Salutations!' magazine highlighted a growing trend in arranged marriages throughout @@NAME@@, several civil rights protesters have camped outside your parliament demanding changes to the law.

The Debate
1. "This can't go on!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a long time campaigner for the rights of single young women. "Right now there's nothing to stop my parents marrying me off to anyone they please! Surely it ought to be the sole decision of the individual as to who they spend the rest of their life with? You can't just force two people together and expect it to work! Arranged marriages must be banned!"

2. "I only want what's best for my daughter," argues Cyril Duckworth, father of three. "She's young! Far too young to know what's good for her! Everyday when I look in the newspaper I learn of another unwanted teen pregnancy, of poor, sad adolescents who have gone down the slippery slope of drugs and violence. If parents have the power to arrange marriages with other, respectable, wealthy families, then it helps set the foundations for our children to have a decent life! I propose that all marriages should be arranged by the parents of the families - it's the best way."

3. "That's crazy!" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Domestic Affairs. "Everyone knows that the people who screw your life up most are your parents! And now you consider letting them to decide who you marry?! I think we, the government, should arrange all marriages by national census. Distribute everyone to a place and person in an economically stimulating way - why, we'd solve the housing problems just like that! Especially if we dismiss outmoded things like divorce and monogamy! This could be a golden opportunity for us."

I request that the term "arranged marriage" here be changed to "forced marriage," or at least, "forced arranged marriage." Arranged marriages are actually quite common around the world, and the majority of arranged marriages involves everyone's consent. They also normally involve some direct participation from the potential spouses. The type of marriage being discusses in this issue isn't what is usually referred to as an arranged marriage, except by those who have misconceptions and little familiarity with real life arranged marriages due to them being outside the scope of their culture, religion, and/or background.
Put frankly, using the term arranged marriage to mean forced marriage initiated by the parents is misleading, and hence, offensive to people who actually practice arranged marriage.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:56 pm

From Issue #122, "Pensioners in Protest:"

"Falling standards at Sierra Lyricalia's retirement homes have prompted OAPs to take to the streets and demand better treatment."

Is OAP a technical term or an idiosyncratic Commonwealth phrase of some kind? I assume the issue is not asking me what to do about Old-Ass People. :p

(Edit: of course I could google it. If my confusion is both commonplace and undesirable, some clarification might do, but obviously this one's lower on the priority list than actual grammar and punctuation fixes.)
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:16 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:From Issue #122, "Pensioners in Protest:"

"Falling standards at Sierra Lyricalia's retirement homes have prompted OAPs to take to the streets and demand better treatment."

Is OAP a technical term or an idiosyncratic Commonwealth phrase of some kind?

Old Age Pensioner. It's what people who collect the UK equivalent of Social Security are called.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Issue #144, Description

After a recent election instated a small dog as a member of parliament, the fringe group "Brains for Ballots" has demanded for the government to tighten voting restrictions.

I think an "a" should be added before the word "member."

Changed to "installed a small dog as a member of parliament".
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:09 am

The new Issue #378 has a mistake, option 5 has an extra " at the end:
We should be remembering the incalculable tragedy of it all and making sure it never happens again!""

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:14 am

Golgothastan wrote:The new Issue #378 has a mistake, option 5 has an extra " at the end:
We should be remembering the incalculable tragedy of it all and making sure it never happens again!""

D'oh!

Fixed.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:39 am

From Issue #053, Orbital Armageddon?:
3. Fringe Group Leader @@RANDOMNAME@@ disagrees, "Space is a total waste of time. We should spend more on stuff people actually CARE about. Like voting rights and protecting the environment! Forget that fancy-schmancy space station!"
"group leader" shouldn't be capitalised.

Mechanotopia
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mechanotopia » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:16 pm

i just outlawed gambling 12 issues ago, now ive had to do it again, an issue shouldn't be able to come up like that if ive already banned gambling, the other answers maybe, but the option of outlawing the reason the issue is up should deny the ability to get the issue again, i know there isn't many issues, but there's surely other issues i can tend to

# 371 : Lotto Fever, requires an invalidity to any who've already outlawed gambling

that's possible right?, sounds reasonable to me, how can you outlaw something you've already outlawed, that is the 2nd option
freedom is a right not a privilege, and rights should never be dictated on a sheet of paper, condoned by a war council, or if you would like the modern term 'government', not that i would be a exerciser of anarchy, but to be frank anarchists have some good points, sorry but i cant go into further detail as i still have yet to understand my own philosophies, perhaps just call me an intricast for now, to explain would require first a common ground of understanding, such things take time, as they need complex reasoning, some which i still don't grasp, but discussion has usually inspired results, discussion that is, not bickering, i often have trouble communicating my thoughts properly, nothing is or can be 100%, except that of mathematics, where 1+2 always =3,

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Mechanotopia wrote:
i just outlawed gambling 12 issues ago, now ive had to do it again, an issue shouldn't be able to come up like that if ive already banned gambling, the other answers maybe, but the option of outlawing the reason the issue is up should deny the ability to get the issue again, i know there isn't many issues, but there's surely other issues i can tend to

# 371 : Lotto Fever, requires an invalidity to any who've already outlawed gambling

that's possible right?, sounds reasonable to me, how can you outlaw something you've already outlawed, that is the 2nd option

371 is only available to people who outlawed gambling - your brother was arrested for running a gambling racket which was illegal.

In option 2, the advocate is speaking for the continued ban against gambling. He's asking you to stand firm against the problem and warns you about introducing it to @@NAME@@. This is an argument that still stands even if a ban is already in place.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:56 pm

Golgothastan wrote:From Issue #053, Orbital Armageddon?:
3. Fringe Group Leader @@RANDOMNAME@@ disagrees, "Space is a total waste of time. We should spend more on stuff people actually CARE about. Like voting rights and protecting the environment! Forget that fancy-schmancy space station!"
"group leader" shouldn't be capitalised.

Changed.

Mechanotopia wrote:

That issue is for nations who have an extremely restricted stance towards gambling/banned gambling.

I tweaked the wording on option 2 from "Banning gambling is essential to the moral fibre" --> "A gambling ban is essential to the moral fibre". The second one could easily refer to either a nation which has it completely banned or is on the cusp.

Nation of Quebec
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Nation of Quebec » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:20 am

There is a slight error in issue #317 Lotto Fever.

3. A man sporting a ten-gallon cowboy hat rolls in an impressive scale model of a casino city, complete with a flashing neon light display. "Well howdy folks! I couldn't help but overhear that your gambling industry is in the toilet. Why not hand over the new lottery to the private sector? I have a plan to use that lottery money to create massive casino cities. I've built casinos in Maxtopia, Bigtopia, and North Lilliputia and by gum, it put them on the map! Just think of all the tourists who will flock to @@NAME@@: The Gambling Center of @@DEMONYMNOUN@@!"

In the last line, which I've bolded, it was supposed to say @@NAME@@: The Gambling Center of @@REGION@@, not @@DEMONYMNOUN@@. That was how I originally wrote it and the line doesn't really make sense with the demonymn there.
Canadian, Left-of-Center, Cynic
Proud Atheist and Geek
All WA matters are handled by my WA puppet state of Velkia and the Islands
Please don't send me unsolicited telegrams.

Lenyo
Powerbroker

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenyo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:47 am

Nation of Quebec wrote:There is a slight error in issue #317 Lotto Fever.

3. A man sporting a ten-gallon cowboy hat rolls in an impressive scale model of a casino city, complete with a flashing neon light display. "Well howdy folks! I couldn't help but overhear that your gambling industry is in the toilet. Why not hand over the new lottery to the private sector? I have a plan to use that lottery money to create massive casino cities. I've built casinos in Maxtopia, Bigtopia, and North Lilliputia and by gum, it put them on the map! Just think of all the tourists who will flock to @@NAME@@: The Gambling Center of @@DEMONYMNOUN@@!"

In the last line, which I've bolded, it was supposed to say @@NAME@@: The Gambling Center of @@REGION@@, not @@DEMONYMNOUN@@. That was how I originally wrote it and the line doesn't really make sense with the demonymn there.

You're mistaken. @@NAME@@: The Gambling Center of @@REGION@@! remains
The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular
representatives of the oppressing class shall represent and repress them in parliament.

Lenin, State and Revolution (1917)

Nation of Quebec
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Nation of Quebec » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:20 am

Lenyo wrote:
Nation of Quebec wrote:There is a slight error in issue #317 Lotto Fever.

You're mistaken. @@NAME@@: The Gambling Center of @@REGION@@! remains

I only pointed it out because in the official issues list it has @@DEMONYMNOUN@@ written instead of @@REGION@@.
Canadian, Left-of-Center, Cynic
Proud Atheist and Geek
All WA matters are handled by my WA puppet state of Velkia and the Islands
Please don't send me unsolicited telegrams.

Lenyo
Powerbroker

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenyo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Nation of Quebec wrote:
Lenyo wrote:You're mistaken. @@NAME@@: The Gambling Center of @@REGION@@! remains

I only pointed it out because in the official issues list it has @@DEMONYMNOUN@@ written instead of @@REGION@@.

Ah, I see. I'll TG Golgothastan.
The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular
representatives of the oppressing class shall represent and repress them in parliament.

Lenin, State and Revolution (1917)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?