NATION

PASSWORD

Illegal Script Usage "Predator": Punishments

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:21 am

The 3 month bans (that weren't extended due to other violations) have been removed. If you had a nation in the WA at the time they were implemented, this would have been manually removed from the WA, and that specific nation may still be blocked. If that's the case, GHR us (referencing this post) and we'll remove that.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:05 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Texasa finally managed to submit a coherent appeal a few days ago; this has been granted - his WA ban has been removed, and his main nation can be restored.

Regarding removal of bans upon expiry, these will need to be done manually, and will be done at some point on the day following their expiry. Don't rely on them being removed the second they end.

I find this incredibly amusing. After reading through this quagmire I must ask, did you have any actual physical evidence to convict Texasa? I.P. records showing the so called circumvention of the API limits that apparently predator commits? Or were you just going on the good word of Tex that he was using Predator? Why was a coherent appeal required, when an apparent noncoherent confession was all that was required to convict? I am rather curious how far this was actually investigated before sentence was handed down.

On that note, after reading through this, I am also puzzled as to why only certain people were punished? Surely Everwandering Souls must have at least known of the existence of Predator. Given that The Black Riders and DEN both had operational alliance with The Black Hawks. What was Redbacks knowledge of it? Jakker? Mall for that matter? It just seems curious that Knot, Koth, and 94 Block were all punished while claiming they had no knowledge of the usage of Predator, yet not one person from The Black Hawks was touched?

I eagerly await some clarification on this.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

General Knot
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby General Knot » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:08 pm

Wayneactia wrote:It just seems curious that Knot, Koth, and 94 Block were all punished while claiming they had no knowledge of the usage of Predator, yet not one person from The Black Hawks was touched?

You should do some more research before posting, CP.
General of the DEN
History will record the DEN as the most notorious, well-organized, and well-disciplined raider army ever to grace the battlefield.

Former Delegate of The West Pacific
World Assembly Resolution Author x4

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:58 pm

General Knot wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:It just seems curious that Knot, Koth, and 94 Block were all punished while claiming they had no knowledge of the usage of Predator, yet not one person from The Black Hawks was touched?

You should do some more research before posting, CP.

Indeed. Former council member wetwork just got off a ban. Former member festavo is swerving a ban. Currently inactive and heavily demoted member chingis is serving a ban. Council member at the time of the ruling and now ex council member Kleo is serving a ban. Current council member Koth is serving a ban. Former members aurum and vandoosa just got off their ban. TBH was named in the statement. You're a wee bit off.

Red Back barely touches GP besides to take care of adminstrative stuff. In fact, the most active I've ever seen him was when this ruling came out and he wanted to know what the hell predator was, why TBH nearly got wiped out over it, and how we could stop anything like this from ever happening again (see: two formal statements on Predator in the TBH thread). Mall comes in to talk on rare occasion, but has not participated in anything raid-related since I've been a member of TBH, by my understanding preferring not to be involved as a game moderator. Jakker knew little to nothing about predator. Coe knew even less. The creator, distributors, and main users of predator were not TBH members, and while we (in hindsight foolishly) allowed members to use it, it was not endorsed or distributed by the region, access was not tied into our ranking system, and never where any of our members expected to use it to lead raids.

Now, I see you've brought my name up as well. Yes, I knew a bit about predator. Not that it was illegal, in fact that all evidence available to the users at the time pointed to it being perfectly legal. But, along with a select few others, held a certain disdain for it. Not just becuase it was a highly advanced tool and were ebul manual-preferring Luddites - but becuase even after a mod ruling saying that it was fine to use tools made by a DoS player so long as the tools were legal and player was not involved, it struck us as sketchy to be using a tool made by a player whose illegal actions already brought down one region. Perhaps we should have been firmer on that point, but we weren't - and we had no more idea that it was illegal than any other user. Nonetheless, when we first began to hear that it might be, we were among the first to assist the investigation. Now, I perhaps am among those that understand predator the best on a technical level, becuase I was part of the group that worked to find how it worked and assist the mods as such. I am intimately familiar with who's used it becuase I was given access to the logs in order to attempt to talk users into cooperation with moderation. I can go on, but I think I've said enough.

If you think I or anyone else has done something of worthy of moderation action, report it.

Otherwise, shove off.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Evil Wolf
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:14 pm

Wayneactia wrote:Surely Everwandering Souls must have at least known of the existence of Predator. Given that The Black Riders and DEN both had operational alliance with The Black Hawks. What was Redbacks knowledge of it? Jakker? Mall for that matter?

That's some nice baseless speculation you got there. I like the added touch where you insinuate that a Moderator probably had advanced knowledge of either Predator and/or its illegal status, something that more than half the people using Predator were unaware of.

Got any reasoning or proof behind these loaded accusation or are you just firing blindly at TBH in the off chance you'll hit something?
It's ok! You can trust me! I've been Commended!

Kryozerkia wrote:In the good old days raiding was illegal
Crazy Girl wrote:Invading was never illegal
[violet] wrote:There is supposed to be an invasion game.

Mallorea and Riva should be a Game Moderator Game Administrator.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:02 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:Surely Everwandering Souls must have at least known of the existence of Predator. Given that The Black Riders and DEN both had operational alliance with The Black Hawks. What was Redbacks knowledge of it? Jakker? Mall for that matter?

That's some nice baseless speculation you got there. I like the added touch where you insinuate that a Moderator probably had advanced knowledge of either Predator and/or its illegal status, something that more than half the people using Predator were unaware of.

Got any reasoning or proof behind these loaded accusation or are you just firing blindly at TBH in the off chance you'll hit something?

Actually if you took the time to read my post I was only seeking clarification, not snark. I haven't speculated on anything I asked questions. Everwandering Souls was gracious enough to answer most of them before posting a rather snippy finale. If I have struck a raw nerve with someone here I apologize but given the level of snark, bellyaching and whining you have done in this thread I find your assertion that I am making baseless accusations and asking loaded questions to be amusing at best and hilariously hypocritical at worst. Perhaps I should have stuck to my original question about Texasa and in hindsight had I envisioned being mauled over simply asking a question I would have gone that route, or listened to my better judgement and avoided the forums all together. Do you care to answer my original question or does it not personally affect you enough to be bothered?
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:32 pm

Wayneactia wrote: Do you care to answer my original question or does it not personally affect you enough to be bothered?

I, more than most, have expressed my disgust in this thread as to the manner of which Moderation conducted their investigation into Tex's claims before handing him a punishment, especially when it became immediately obvious that he was clueless as to what he was confessing to. While I appreciate Moderation's efforts in this thread to correct some of their mistakes, such as the deletion of my region and Tex's mistaken punishment, the matter remains that such mistakes should have never occurred in the first place, especially given the delicate and history making punishments that were handed out at the start of this thread.

I am disappointed that Moderation appears to not have handed a punishment out based upon evidence but merely upon a player's confession. Yes, it's true that if someone confesses to being a DOS player, as the example given in the thread goes, the Mods really have no other choice but to delete them, but this case with Predator is a bit different. Predator was an illegal script, but merely possessing it wasn't illegal, and the things Tex "confessed" to weren't illegal either. You can legally use scripts to make puppets, that's allowed. The Moderation seems to have only deleted Tex's puppet and added him to the list because they believed Predator was somehow involved, even though Predator supposedly doesn't create puppets at all and Tex (and for that matter the Moderation team) demonstrated an incredible amount of ignorance regarding what Predator actually does.

I can only imagine that there are several other players whom the Mods had no proof that those individuals used or possessed Predator who were also deleted based upon those confessions alone and with absolutely no other evidence. I of course hope this is not the case, but how they handled the matter with Tex makes me think otherwise. Given how harsh and groundbreaking this punishment was, I really, really hope that Moderation had some very good proof to justify all their punishments, and didn't just blanket punish a number of players who admitted to merely possessing Predator because they were scared by threats of even harsher punishments should they not confess. I mean, that's certainly what happened with Tex.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:22 am

Sedgistan wrote:Texasa finally managed to submit a coherent appeal a few days ago; this has been granted - his WA ban has been removed, and his main nation can be restored.

Regarding removal of bans upon expiry, these will need to be done manually, and will be done at some point on the day following their expiry. Don't rely on them being removed the second they end.

Well, glad this issue is settled.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Is it still against the rules to call a region DEN, The Black Riders or Nugut?
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:40 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:Is it still against the rules to call a region DEN, The Black Riders or Nugut?

Why on earth would anyone want to tarnish their reputation by calling their region one of these names?
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:43 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:
Indo-Malaysia wrote:Is it still against the rules to call a region DEN, The Black Riders or Nugut?

Why on earth would anyone want to tarnish their reputation by calling their region one of these names?

Perhaps a *Nazgul Dentist would like to eat chicken nuggets.

*This sentence is a reference to all three of those regions
The Midnight Order guy

Anerastreia
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Anerastreia » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Of course it is. There is a permanent prohibition on those.
Anerastreia (Anera)
Il-Khan of Lone Wolves United

Elindra Kshrlmnt: I'm always right. I'm a woman.
Dream Killers: I was going to say that if you are the problem child for LWU we are the best region in the game.

Lyra and Bon Bon
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyra and Bon Bon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:18 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:

Well Evil Wolf is still banging on about wanting his totally-not-affiliated-in-any-way-with-DEN region 'The DEN' back, so it does appear there are some that desperately want to use 'DEN' if it were allowed

Ayvari
Envoy

Founded: Jul 27, 2015
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Ayvari » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Lyra and Bon Bon wrote:
Benevolent Thomas wrote:Why on earth would anyone want to tarnish their reputation by calling their region one of these names?

Well Evil Wolf is still banging on about wanting his totally-not-affiliated-in-any-way-with-DEN region 'The DEN' back, so it does appear there are some that desperately want to use 'DEN' if it were allowed

Yeah, because it's his trophy. Evil Wolf isn't DEN and doesn't have their interests at heart. :P
Former/Retired Sergeant ~*~ The Black Hawks ~*~ Also known as Xoriet
Severisen wrote:You literally couldn't have missed the point more, even if you endorsed the native delegate.
Northern Chittowa wrote:If you look at those who have made names for themselves in this game, they are those who have stood up to defenders on an equal footin and actually beaten them on a tactical level...Those are the ones who will be remembered and indeed revered in history.
Syberis Montresor-Isaraider: There should be no distinction between a good raider and a good member of the GP community.

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Ayvari wrote:
Lyra and Bon Bon wrote:

Yeah, because it's his trophy. Evil Wolf isn't DEN and doesn't have their interests at heart. :P

It's his trophy because of the association with the name of the invader group DEN. Let's be honest here -- I'd be very much surprised if he didn't grab the region in the first place for that name, and that is likely what the region "The Den" will continue to be associated with.

Having said that, as long as it's not used in a similar fashion as the group DEN would have, I'm not terribly bothered by it.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Guy wrote:
Ayvari wrote:Yeah, because it's his trophy. Evil Wolf isn't DEN and doesn't have their interests at heart. :P

It's his trophy because of the association with the name of the invader group DEN. Let's be honest here -- I'd be very much surprised if he didn't grab the region in the first place for that name, and that is likely what the region "The Den" will continue to be associated with.

Having said that, as long as it's not used in a similar fashion as the group DEN would have, I'm not terribly bothered by it.

A bit off-topic, but I still find this weird:

Powell created The Den as a military for a defender region (It was solar.. something, I forgot the name. Look on RaiderCon 16). A decade on, and its known as a 'massive' raiding organisation.
The Midnight Order guy

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:A bit off-topic, but I still find this weird:

More like miles off topic.
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:05 pm

Also, as far as I know, incorrect. DEN formed from the exodus of members from Solarius after the bulk of the region's army and the government of the region came to disagree on military policy. (Sources: Ananke's NS Gameplay History, multiple quotes citing General Powell).
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:31 pm

Guy wrote:
Ayvari wrote:Yeah, because it's his trophy. Evil Wolf isn't DEN and doesn't have their interests at heart. :P

Don't forget though that Evil Wolf runs a region of people pretending to be wolves for various purposes. So it is entirely possible he took the den on this basis.
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Xoriet
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Solorni wrote:
Guy wrote:It's his trophy because of the association with the name of the invader group DEN. Let's be honest here -- I'd be very much surprised if he didn't grab the region in the first place for that name, and that is likely what the region "The Den" will continue to be associated with.

Don't forget though that Evil Wolf runs a region of people pretending to be wolves for various purposes. So it is entirely possible he took the den on this basis.

I thought Evil Wolf was a little girl. :P His TNP statistics indicate this.
Senator of Diplomatic Affairs of the New Pacific Order

This flame we carry into battle
A fading memory
This light will conquer the darkness
Shining bright for all to see

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:18 am

Guy wrote:It's his trophy because of the association with the name of the invader group DEN. Let's be honest here -- I'd be very much surprised if he didn't grab the region in the first place for that name, and that is likely what the region "The Den" will continue to be associated with.

My motivations aren't really relevant to this ruling, seeing as I was not part of the Predator cheaters, nor has anyone claimed that The Den was part of DEN's sphere of influence since it came under my control, oh, about a half a decade ago. If anything, it's been a LWU region longer than it's been a DEN region.

Guy wrote:Having said that, as long as it's not used in a similar fashion as the group DEN would have, I'm not terribly bothered by it.

Now, that's a curiously worded sentence, Guy. By that do you mean you'd not want it used as a successor region (which is illegal) or do you mean that you'd be very put off if someone started a non-DEN raider group in there?

May I remind you that, legally, there is nothing stopping me or LWU from doing just that so far as it is not a violation of the "non-successor" decree given at the start of this thread.

Xoriet wrote:I thought Evil Wolf was a little girl. :P

Pfft, everybody knows that I'm a Japanese Schoolgirl who translates everything into English using Google and BabelFish. It's common knowledge, Xor.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:20 pm

I am still confused about all of this. The script was deemed illegal by a mod who ran it I am assuming? A mod with defender ties nonetheless? Punishments were carried out by another senior mod from a defender aligned region? How was the script ran by the mod in the first place? From what I have read it seems that it requires some password for access? Did that mod contact the creator of said script for access? Was said creator willing to grant access even though they are banned from the site? Does none of this even seem remotely suspicious to anyone?

wait

Ayvari
Envoy

Founded: Jul 27, 2015
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Ayvari » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:05 pm

Wayneactia wrote:I am still confused about all of this. The script was deemed illegal by a mod who ran it I am assuming? A mod with defender ties nonetheless? Punishments were carried out by another senior mod from a defender aligned region? How was the script ran by the mod in the first place? From what I have read it seems that it requires some password for access? Did that mod contact the creator of said script for access? Was said creator willing to grant access even though they are banned from the site? Does none of this even seem remotely suspicious to anyone?

I do not know what you read to come up with this. It may be the silliest interpretation of events yet.

- Script was created by Halcones.
- Script is inaccessible without Halcones' say-so.
- Script was used for a year and a half or so.
- Script raised concerns when people still used it after Halcones was DoS.
- Script was brought to the Mods.
- Script was deemed illegal by Mods/Admins.
- Script users were punished.

No Moderators were implicated in the investigation or reveal of the users of Predator.
Last edited by Ayvari on Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Former/Retired Sergeant ~*~ The Black Hawks ~*~ Also known as Xoriet
Severisen wrote:You literally couldn't have missed the point more, even if you endorsed the native delegate.
Northern Chittowa wrote:If you look at those who have made names for themselves in this game, they are those who have stood up to defenders on an equal footin and actually beaten them on a tactical level...Those are the ones who will be remembered and indeed revered in history.
Syberis Montresor-Isaraider: There should be no distinction between a good raider and a good member of the GP community.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:16 pm

Ayvari wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:I am still confused about all of this. The script was deemed illegal by a mod who ran it I am assuming? A mod with defender ties nonetheless? Punishments were carried out by another senior mod from a defender aligned region? How was the script ran by the mod in the first place? From what I have read it seems that it requires some password for access? Did that mod contact the creator of said script for access? Was said creator willing to grant access even though they are banned from the site? Does none of this even seem remotely suspicious to anyone?

I do not know what you read to come up with this. It may be the silliest interpretation of events yet.

No Moderators were implicated in the investigation or reveal of the users of Predator.

Is Eluvatar not a mod? They claim the script violates the API rate and does not set a user agent. How would they have been able to figure this out without running the script first?

wait

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
Ayvari wrote:I do not know what you read to come up with this. It may be the silliest interpretation of events yet.

Is Eluvatar not a mod? They claim the script violates the API rate and does not set a user agent. How would they have been able to figure this out without running the script first?

Eluvatar is not a moderator. He's a techie. Biiiig difference.
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay