NATION

PASSWORD

[CANCELLED] NationStates World Fair 2015

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luxdonia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Luxdonia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:35 am

Extremely disappointing to see the NS World Fair turned into a political issue by GP.
The Kingdom of Luxdonia
The Chief Administrator and Executive Councillor of Archmont
Join the Archmont Discord server!

Kringalia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kringalia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:42 am

Wildelyn wrote:Sounds heavily interesting, I would like to venue by representing The Western Isles for this Fair.
Looking forward! :)

Absolutely! :)
Chief Justice of the South Pacific
Delegate of the South Pacific (Apr - Dec 2014)

Interviewed Max Barry | Tuesday Couper | Commended by WASC #422

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 am

Cormac Stark wrote:Everyone knows that Unibot selected his successors to organize this World Fair, and at least one of those successors cannot be trusted to keep him from being involved in future organization due to their previous cozy political relationship with each other in TSP. Regions that are concerned by Unibot's involvement, and bizarre ability to decide who will succeed him as though he is the World Fair's dictator, should boycott.

Prior co-organizers should have been involved in the decision regarding new organizers and should still be co-organizers.

For once I agree with you, Cormac. This is indeed scary times.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Belschaft » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:22 am

Todd McCloud wrote:
Cormac Stark wrote:Everyone knows that Unibot selected his successors to organize this World Fair, and at least one of those successors cannot be trusted to keep him from being involved in future organization due to their previous cozy political relationship with each other in TSP. Regions that are concerned by Unibot's involvement, and bizarre ability to decide who will succeed him as though he is the World Fair's dictator, should boycott.

Prior co-organizers should have been involved in the decision regarding new organizers and should still be co-organizers.

I disagree with this, I'm afraid. Me and Kris have had our issues but I've always known him to be honest and honourable. If he says Unibot isn't going to be involved, then I trust his word.
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:43 am

Belschaft wrote:
Todd McCloud wrote:For once I agree with you, Cormac. This is indeed scary times.

I disagree with this, I'm afraid. Me and Kris have had our issues but I've always known him to be honest and honourable. If he says Unibot isn't going to be involved, then I trust his word.

I'm not suggesting Kris isn't honest and honorable. That's a stawman point as far as I'm concerned. Previous posts have pretty much expressed my concerns with this move.

Jackonia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jackonia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:27 am

I would like to represent my Region The Commonwealth of Crowns in this upcoming NationStates Fair. Would that be acceptable?

Bordurian Civil War (2015) - VICTORY
Cardulan War (2015) - VICTORY
Oehiton War (2015) - ONGOING
Kabarastan War (2015) -VICTORY
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature.

98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
You can vote in the Jackonian General Election! Just follow the link. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=344401
Want to build Embassies? viewtopic.php?f=23&t=330096

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: NationStates World Fair 2015

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:02 am

Lol at the notion that Kris and Unibot had a "cozy" political relationship in TSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astarial
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 12, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Astarial » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:05 am

I haven't seen this question addressed yet, and I'm curious: is there a reason that the other co-organizers were not consulted or sought out for advice, or was it an oversight? If the former, would you be willing to share that reason with us? If the latter, is there any plan to meet with them now?
Ballotonia: Astarial already phrased an answer very well. Hence I'll just say: "Me too."1
Purriest Kitteh, 2012

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:35 pm

Luxdonia wrote:Extremely disappointing to see the NS World Fair turned into a political issue by GP Cormac.

Fixed that for you. 8)

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:17 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:

In my mind viewing it as a sort of formal succession is silly in the first place. Unibot for whatever reason decided he could no longer organise it, and so approached a couple people he thought could do it and asked if they'd be willing to pick up where he left off.

Your assertion that Kris is untrustworthy is completely ungrounded. Provide some basis for that beyond your opinion or kindly stop whining. Association with Unibot is not adequate for this purpose, sorry.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:02 pm

Consular wrote:
Todd McCloud wrote:For once I agree with you, Cormac. This is indeed scary times.

In my mind viewing it as a sort of formal succession is silly in the first place. Unibot for whatever reason decided he could no longer organise it, and so approached a couple people he thought could do it and asked if they'd be willing to pick up where he left off.

Your assertion that Kris is untrustworthy is completely ungrounded. Provide some basis for that beyond your opinion or kindly stop whining. Association with Unibot is not adequate for this purpose, sorry.

Do people even read threads anymore? Or do they just pick out random stuff they've found in the thread and try to apply it to someone posting in it?

Let me explain. I don't know when Unibot was crowned as the penultimate decider in these World Fairs when there have been others who worked very hard to come up with the idea, implement it, and keep it going and keep it fun for years. It would have been nice to see them included in this. Otherwise it should've been named something like "Unibot's World Fair" or something. Then at least we'd know we were just along for the ride. As far as I could tell, we've always done it via a committee. That, in my opinion, was good because each person had a different strength and different background to work on stuff and ensure it was fair Fair. We didn't help out for glory, or for the accolades or praise, we helped out because we were either asked to or were a part of it from the beginning, and we wanted it to be fun. Heck, to even add in new members we were approached and asked if it was okay. I know some have retired, but some are still here and thought they had a voice in it somewhere.

As for the comments about Kris, as I explained earlier, I am not insinuating he is not trustworthy. Frankly, I don't have anything against him and will boldface the points I am speaking to specifically. I thought I did, but apparently it didn't carry over.

Consular
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:40 pm

I've read the whole thread. Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I haven't read your posts.

That said I was actually replying to Cormac, and all the concerns focused around Unibot, rather than consultation with past co-organizers. I have no idea why I quoted you instead of the original post. I'll blame being on mobile.

How much of the world fair was Unibot's doing, though? You say you were all equals but to be frank from the outside it never looked that way. Perhaps he didn't want to just leave it to you guys because he didn't think you'd do a good enough job of it?

Out of interest: the fair is about a month from now, and presumably you and the past co-organizers only found out something was in the works recently. Had you not by now considered running the fair yourselves? Or had you not taken that initiative? Had Unibot not asked others to organise one, would there even be a fair this year?

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Consular wrote:I've read the whole thread. Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I haven't read your posts.

That said I was actually replying to Cormac, and all the concerns focused around Unibot, rather than consultation with past co-organizers. I have no idea why I quoted you instead of the original post. I'll blame being on mobile.

How much of the world fair was Unibot's doing, though? You say you were all equals but to be frank from the outside it never looked that way. Perhaps he didn't want to just leave it to you guys because he didn't think you'd do a good enough job of it?

Out of interest: the fair is about a month from now, and presumably you and the past co-organizers only found out something was in the works recently. Had you not by now considered running the fair yourselves? Or had you not taken that initiative? Had Unibot not asked others to organise one, would there even be a fair this year?

It's fine. Like I said, I had particular points bolded from Cormac's reply on my phone, then I had to go run some tests so I replied from my computer. Egg on my face.

Well, every person kind of did something different. Solm for instance was the guy who did the coding for the skin to basically make it look like the NS forums (first annual fair) or something that's more in-tune with the region that hosted it (last world fair). Others were used to help organize, ensure it was running smoothly, etc. Unibot generally organized the speakers and advertised for it from what I can remember. Looking at it just from that fact, I guess it makes sense if he got most of the exposure time.

I found out about this after it was posted. I didn't know anything about this World Fair until that point. Which is understandable - if I remember correctly, we usually did host bids after the Z-day.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:42 am

So, for those who are objecting to the sniff of Unibot, let me ask the obvious question: what (if anything) can be done at this point to allay your concerns?
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:10 am

Consular wrote:What an incredibly helpful comment, Hobbes.

I try.
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

Jersey Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jersey Republic » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:13 am

I would love to attend the world fair
i don't really RP on forums, no need for political stances either

Just here to have fun

Astarial
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 12, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Astarial » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:46 am

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:So, for those who are objecting to the sniff of Unibot, let me ask the obvious question: what (if anything) can be done at this point to allay your concerns?

A more detailed explanation of his involvement in this year's event (how much did he participate in the planning, how recently have they been in contact with him about details, that kind of thing) would be a pretty good start. For those of us who want nothing to do with Unibot for reasons that are anything but political, some clarity on this front would be appreciated.

I am also still hoping for an answer to my question to Kringalia and Cerebella about the other co-organizers. :)
Ballotonia: Astarial already phrased an answer very well. Hence I'll just say: "Me too."1
Purriest Kitteh, 2012

Funkadelia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Funkadelia » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:52 am

There are only a few who could turn a rather innocuous event of inter regional celebration of culture into an absolute disaster about something that has nothing to do with the event itself.
Last edited by Funkadelia on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funkadelia

Former Delegate of Lazarus (x3)
Proscribed TWICE by The South Pacific

WA Security Council Resolution Author (x2)
SC#161
SC#182

Benevolent Aurors
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Aurors » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:01 pm

Funkadelia wrote:There are only a few who could turn a rather innocuous event of inter regional celebration of culture into an absolute disaster about something that has nothing to do with the event itself.

Well, you gotta feel kind of bad for people such as Todd here. The World Fair was not necessarily Unibot's to give away. It was the shared creative child of a team of players who all should have had a voice in this decision (given that they are still around).

Funkadelia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Funkadelia » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:29 pm

Benevolent Aurors wrote:
Funkadelia wrote:There are only a few who could turn a rather innocuous event of inter regional celebration of culture into an absolute disaster about something that has nothing to do with the event itself.

Well, you gotta feel kind of bad for people such as Todd here. The World Fair was not necessarily Unibot's to give away. It was the shared creative child of a team of players who all should have had a voice in this decision (given that they are still around).

Oh definitely. It's something that needs to be discussed.
Funkadelia

Former Delegate of Lazarus (x3)
Proscribed TWICE by The South Pacific

WA Security Council Resolution Author (x2)
SC#161
SC#182

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:15 pm

I would like to see a NationStates World Fair for 2015.

Unibot poured a great deal of work into several previous NSWF's, and was to no small extent their public face. Todd is entirely correct however that there was a committee of organizers for each fair. I had some involvement in the third and most recent fair, and am, like Todd, a little bit surprised that the first I heard of these efforts to organize a 2015 fair was secondhand.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Sporaltryus
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 01, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sporaltryus » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:00 pm

I'm not a Committee member? D:
Sporaltryus/ProfessorHenn
Minister of Foreign Affairs of NationStates' Oldest Democracy
they/him

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:17 pm

Eluvatar wrote:I would like to see a NationStates World Fair for 2015.

Unibot poured a great deal of work into several previous NSWF's, and was to no small extent their public face. Todd is entirely correct however that there was a committee of organizers for each fair. I had some involvement in the third and most recent fair, and am, like Todd, a little bit surprised that the first I heard of these efforts to organize a 2015 fair was secondhand.

I noticed, from the post you cited, Elu:

Currently, myself, McMasterdonia, Todd McCloud, Eluvatar, Communist Quinntopia and Solm. We may need to add some staff to our team though for this next World Fair.

It seems we've "voted" to cut our numbers, lol.

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Benevolent Aurors wrote:Well, you gotta feel kind of bad for people such as Todd here. The World Fair was not necessarily Unibot's to give away. It was the shared creative child of a team of players who all should have had a voice in this decision (given that they are still around).

I do agree with this, and would like an invitation to go out to those previously closely involved with it.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

Consular
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:35 pm

Consular wrote:Out of interest: the fair is about a month from now, and presumably you and the past co-organizers only found out something was in the works recently. Had you not by now considered running the fair yourselves? Or had you not taken that initiative? Had Unibot not asked others to organise one, would there even be a fair this year?

So Todd was rather vague, but I'm guessing the past coordinators hadn't started planning anything. I'm also very sceptical that, had it not been brought up, you guys would have put something together at all without Unibot. Maybe I'm wrong.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay