NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Extinction Preparation Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tsim Sha Tsui
Attaché

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

[At Vote] Extinction Preparation Act

Postby Tsim Sha Tsui » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:10 am

The Associated Peoples wrote:
Just Guy wrote:You haven't responded to any of my arguments...

Maybe it's because they are weak and I choose to ignore them

Wow. I think what the Assembly just witnessed was a master class in diplomacy.

The Republic of Tsim Sha Tsui votes "no", and hope the supporters of the next proposal bring a little more class.
The Honourable Samuel Hung Kam Po, GSM
Ambassador to the World Assembly, Republic of Tsim Sha Tsui
The Republic of Tsim Sha Tsui
Chief Executive: Christopher Pang Ting Hong
President of the Legislative Council: Margaret Cheung Man Yuk
Secretary for Foreign Affairs: Jackson Chan Kong Sang
"Prosperity Through Freedom"

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:56 am

Tsim Sha Tsui wrote:
The Associated Peoples wrote:Maybe it's because they are weak and I choose to ignore them

The Republic of Tsim Sha Tsui votes "no", and hope the supporters of the next proposal bring a little more class.

Classless maybe honest definitely.Honesty is not known for having class.
The Ambassador Elect of The Political Efficiency Accord Dr.Nigel Roosevelt author of GA Resolution #126Extinction Preparation Act
Economic Left/Right: -0.88 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
Warzone Codger wrote:Well this is surely an interesting voting spilt.

You've beaten all 5 Feeders, XKI, Region Inc, Capitalist Paradise, (and edit: Gatesville) (the latter 4 being user regions who have more endos than one feeder) ALL voting against.
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?
Memebr of the WASO

The Coyote Coalition
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Coyote Coalition » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:26 am

Tsim Sha Tsui wrote:
The Associated Peoples wrote:Maybe it's because they are weak and I choose to ignore them

Indeed, not very tactful but compared to the delegate from 10,000 Islands, he looks like the pinnacle of diplomacy. I wouldn't have chosen those particular words myself, even if you put them back in the proper context, but I understand his loss of composure to a degree. When a delegate throws a temper tantrum because the 500+ votes they control didn't immediately quell a proposal and keeps at it, it can be difficult to maintain composure. Either you give them more momentum or you slip up and the next thing you know you've said something that can be used out of context.
Eustace Levi, Managing Director of the Adhocracy of the Coyote Coalition.

Lykosia
Minister

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lykosia » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:51 am

III. URGES member nations to supply specimens of seeds, saplings and genetic animal materials (sperm, eggs and DNA).

Sorry, maybe this is a silly question, but what's the sperm, eggs and DNA for? Is it for bring back the extinct animals something?

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:55 am

Lykosia wrote:
III. URGES member nations to supply specimens of seeds, saplings and genetic animal materials (sperm, eggs and DNA).

Sorry, maybe this is a silly question, but what's the sperm, eggs and DNA for? Is it for bring back the extinct animals something?

Yes that is exactly what it is for.
The Ambassador Elect of The Political Efficiency Accord Dr.Nigel Roosevelt author of GA Resolution #126Extinction Preparation Act

You've beaten all 5 Feeders, XKI, Region Inc, Capitalist Paradise, (and edit: Gatesville) (the latter 4 being user regions who have more endos than one feeder) ALL voting against.
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?
Memebr of the WASO

Lykosia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lykosia » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:59 am

Lykosia wrote:

Yes that is exactly what it is for.

How?

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:03 am

There are various methods for this I named a few examples in the proposal itself but they are by no means the only ones available just the ones they are simply examples that I am familiar with.
II. EMPOWERS staff scientists to research advanced methods of artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization, embryo transfer, cloning and efficient horticultural replenishment, as well as the study of keystone species and methods for rebuilding ecosystems.

Memebr of the WASO

Lykosia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lykosia » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:20 am

To do that, I think it must be in "Critically Endangered" or "Extinct in the Wild" category, because it's impossible to bring back the completely extinct animals with those methods, except for cloning, as far as I know.
Last edited by Lykosia on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:24 am

Lykosia wrote:To do that, I think it must be in "Critically Endangered" or "Extinct in the Wild" category, because it's impossible to bring back the completely extinct animals with those methods as far as I know.

That is correct and that is what this proposal is attempting to do.It is not to bring back anything already extinct that there is no genetic material for that would as far as I know be impossible.

SEEKING to install safeguards for the recovery of any species that falls victim to an extinction event.

Memebr of the WASO

NewCalifornia-Republic
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby NewCalifornia-Republic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:25 am

Just guy, it may only say one facility, but the facility could be a compound, therefore it could house more than one building. The reasons for which you are against this legislation are seriously flawed, I suggest you save face and either abstain from voting or change it to 'for'.
John Geary,
Leader of the General Assembly
The NewCalifornia-Republic

Just Guy
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Just Guy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:24 am

Just Guy wrote:You haven't responded to any of my arguments...

Maybe it's because they are weak and I choose to ignore them anything I had to say on the matters have already as far as I'm concerned been addressed to an adequate degree. Basically we disagree on what to accept as reality.Your camps position is there is only one planet and race of sentient species.My camp recognizes the validity of non-human sentients and other occupied celestial bodies.I can't argue with a delusional being that chooses to not see the members of this assembly that are right before their eyes.As far as the one versus more than one facility argument goes once again weak and answered more than once you are just unwilling to accept it and that's fine I will not waste my time trying to sway a person who's view is as limited as yours.Good day to you ambassador enjoy your narrow minded position.

:shock: :eek: :palm: :rofl:

Now that I'm done with the smiley spam...

I have never said there is only one planet, race, and whatever else you come up with. What you RP in NS exists when other players recognise it. Although I do draw the line somewhere, I do accept the existence of multiple planets and races.

The only thing which I have said is that arctic, as a region, only refers to the region surrounding Earth's north pole -- which is, as far as I know, the only such definition in the English language.

IC:

Don simply stares at the ambassador from The Associated People in shock.

Edit (OOC):

Sorry, TAP, I seemed to have missed your post when making my 'you haven't responded to any of my arguments' post -- I only saw The Coyote Coalition's. It would seem you are correct on the Arctic issue, and so I would concede that point. I still think the requirement for the location is bizarre, but we'll put that aside.

I'm not a scientist so I couldn't say what acceptable preservation methods would be sure I can read real world examples and use those but NS is extremely varied in it's technological advancements and lack there of.I believe I've even seen things written by a cave man.His version of acceptable and mine would differ greatly.Am I to suggest methods that are sub par to those that may exist elsewhere or accept the fact that many nations are much more advanced than I am myself and may have better solutions that they can bring to the table.It would be quite elitist of me to ignore those that role-play in a manner different than mine.

Well, I understand that, but that that clause is still too vague. A committee to enforce the 'appropriateness', for example, could've been formed.

Looking at the popular vote as opposed to the delegate votes you are in the minority in your opinion but I accept the fact that the delegates with the larger power bases often have the loudest voting voice and am certainly fine with that

Well, I'm not sure that's something to be proud of -- it's a widely-known fact here that most of the individual nations that vote only look at the title and the votecount.
Last edited by Just Guy on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elindra doing the Defenders' propaganda for the day:
Kshrlmnt wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:Defenders are naturally disadvantaged in NationStates

One thing I like about raiding.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:45 am

Just Guy wrote:I have never said there is only one planet, race, and whatever else you come up with. What you RP in NS exists when other players recognise it. Although I do draw the line somewhere, I do accept the existence of multiple planets and races.

The only thing which I have said is that arctic, as a region, only refers to the region surrounding Earth's north pole -- which is, as far as I know, the only such definition in the English language.

IC:

Don simply stares at the ambassador from The Associated People in shock.

My mistake I must have misunderstood your intent and I apologize but if you look back a page you will notice that I posted the definition of arctic and informed you that in the context of the proposal I was using definition number 5.After going back and reading that I see that 5 is an adjective that is attributed to the earths northern region.I would not know what other planets may call there own arctic region but I believe that the word arctic as an adjective speaks for itself and whatever they may call it it's the same thing.That is why the wording is an arctic region as opposed to the arctic region.So I guess I did not answer your argument satisfactorily.I hope this goes towards doing so.Let the record show that I withdraw my accusation of you being delusional.

Memebr of the WASO

Agrall
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Agrall » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:50 am

Well I must say I looked over the proposal and quite liked it. It's nice seeing a nationstate going out of their way to preserve nature. You have a yes from the Allied States of Agrall.
Generation 26 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:54 am

Agrall wrote:Well I must say I looked over the proposal and quite liked it. It's nice seeing a nationstate going out of their way to preserve nature. You have a yes from the Allied States of Agrall.

Ambassador I thank you for your show of support.

(OOC)To whom it may concern,
I must step out for a couple hours so If I do not answer to any comments for awhile rest assured that I am not ignoring you and will do so upon my return.

Memebr of the WASO

Lykosia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lykosia » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:37 am

Wait, so the arctic region here is arctic regions anywhere in any planets and dimensions in NS?

Oh yea, I recently receive a comment from The Voltarum:
For me, its a typical resolution: unnecessary and too vague. They do not mention if Human DNA will be included, either.

I think you should revise this resolution a bit. But still, Lykosia strongly support this resolution and expect the other nations to support this too.
Last edited by Lykosia on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:42 am

Lykosia wrote:Wait, so the arctic region here is arctic regions anywhere in any planets and dimensions in NS?

Oh yea, I recently receive a comment from The Voltarum:
For me, its a typical resolution: unnecessary and too vague. They do not mention if Human DNA will be included, either.

I think you should revise this resolution a bit. But still, Lykosia strongly support this resolution and expect the other nations to support this too.

I thank you for your support.All DNA is welcome seeing as humans are animals also just of a sentient variety they are indeed included along with any other sentient beings.

Edited to add the quote into the quote box I must have erased one of the brackets the first time.
Last edited by The Associated Peoples on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Memebr of the WASO

Lykosia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lykosia » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:53 am

The arctic region here is arctic regions anywhere in any planets and dimensions in NS?

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:57 am

Lykosia wrote:The arctic region here is arctic regions anywhere in any planets and dimensions in NS?
That would be correct ambassador.

Memebr of the WASO

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:31 am

Just Guy wrote:The only thing which I have said is that arctic, as a region, only refers to the region surrounding Earth's north pole -- which is, as far as I know, the only such definition in the English language.

I can understand why you might think that, but the proposal says 'an arctic region,' and not 'the Arctic.' From Wikipedia (where it's sourced twice):

Alternatively, [arctic] can be defined as the region where the average temperature for the warmest month (July) is below 10 °C (50 °F); the northernmost tree line roughly follows the isotherm at the boundary of this region.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 am

Just Guy wrote:Already have, but way too late to stomp it. Damn Alsted.

Gee, a large delegate voting early to subvert the democratic process annoys you, does it?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:57 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:

Gee, a large delegate voting early to subvert the democratic process annoys you, does it?

:lol:

Taking away the 506 votes Guy has, the resolution stands at :
Votes For: 2230
Votes Against: 1734
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Just Guy
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Just Guy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:36 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:

Well, we all like it when it goes our way and hate it when it doesn't, don't we? :)
Kshrlmnt wrote:

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:39 am

St George of England wrote:Taking away the 506 votes Guy has, the resolution stands at :
Votes For: 2230
Votes Against: 1734

And if you take away all delegate votes, the count would be:

For: 1434 (67.29%)
Against: 697 (32.71%)

8) Math.

Just Guy
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Just Guy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:42 am

... And how many of them made their decision based on the early vote-count? You can't just give that figure, there's the lemming effect.
Last edited by Just Guy on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kshrlmnt wrote:

Teshuva
Attaché

Founded: Nov 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Teshuva » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:44 am

The Coyote Coalition wrote:I did forget to further elaborate on one point, acceptable methods of preservation would read as methods that acceptably preserve the genetic materials, ensuring their utility and safe storage. Should a method not be proven to adequately maintain the genetic materials, it clearly isn't an acceptable method of preservation. Of course, that could all be simplified by saying, "requires acceptable preservation methods to be observed."

Excellent answer, it convinced us. But, now, the resolution doesn't come with a little copy of you so it's clauses can be explained to every single person who reads it in the library, does it, ambassador? It could have been written that way, and much trouble would be saved. The problem with it, as it is, is that all this vague clauses allow to MUCH misinterpretation. Teshuvá will be ready to support a similar, more detailed bill -- specially on what concerns how the territories for the facilities will be chosen and occuppied and who will be able to exploit the results of the researches (we are certainly not confortable with the implications of a world bank of natural resources fully avaiable to the greedy private sector for free).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives