NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Suppress International Piracy"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

[PASSED] Repeal "Suppress International Piracy"

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:32 am

I am moving towards repealing this resolution, primarily because I noticed that it breaks a major convention: someone is assumed to be innocent until proven guilty. GAR#20 explicitly reverses this and places the burden of proof on the defendant.

GAR#20 Clause 7 actually explicitly assumes that someone is guilty of being an accomplice to pirates if they are on a pirate boat and requires those accused to prove themselves that they are innocent, and only allows an excuse when they are "forced into that crew on pain of death and served only as a non-combatant".

Effectively, this means someone being forced to be an accomplice to pirates on pain of being tortured/starved/raped/neutered/whatever etc do not count and is still subject to conviction as an accomplice to a pirate - only forced on pain of death does). I was quite horrified by this wording.

I am not elaborating further in the actual repeal proposal itself because the fact that this resolution assumes that "someone is a pirate unless proven otherwise" is horrific enough. There are also other issues that I mention briefly, but clause 7 is absolutely the worst and I think justify a repeal on its own.

Proposed replacement is here.

Draft 3

The World Assembly,

Acknowledges the efforts of the target resolution to combat piracy;

Concerned that Clause 1 of the target introduces the concept of ”privateers” but without specifying their relationship with the government (if any), resulting in substantial ambiguities in the application of the resolution when, for example, member states are at a stage of undeclared war, or if governments give tacit but not explicit approval to piracy activities, or other ambiguous circumstances;

Dismayed that clause 7 of the target “that anybody who is accused of having served knowingly as crew aboard any vehicle being used by international pirates, but who can not be linked to any specific offences, shall be subject to appropriate charges of criminal conspiracy" and that "proof of that service shall constitute adequate proof for conviction on those charges, unless they prove that they were forced into that crew on pain of death and served only as a non-combatant" create a travesty of judicial principles in requiring that the burden of proof of the lack of a conspiracy (or the requirement of a threat of "pain of death" but not other forms of threats) has to come from the accused, thus effectively deeming the accused guilty of an offence unless proven innocent;

Hereby repeals GAR#20 “Suppress International Piracy”.

Draft 2

Draft 2 included the following clause which has been removed:

[*]Clause 6 of the target authorising member states to try people for piratical crimes committed elsewhere but for offences to be “[treated] at least as seriously, as they would treat comparable crimes… against their own people”, resulting in potential jurisdictional shopping when some member states may be more lenient on piracy offences compared to other member states;

Draft 1

The World Assembly,

Acknowledges the efforts of GAR#20, “Suppress International Piracy” in helping to combat piracy, an international of significant concern among all member states;

Concerned, however, that the existing resolution contains a significant number of deficiencies which result in reduced effectiveness or outright harm in efforts to counter piracy, including:

1. Clause 1 of the resolution defining “pirates” in a convoluted manner as people “not formally recognised as agents of any government although some of them may have informal links to governments from whom they receive support”, but failing to properly define ”privateers” and their relationship with the government, resulting in substantial ambiguities in the application of the resolution when, for example, member states are at a stage of undeclared war, or if governments give tacit but not explicit approval to piracy activities, or other ambiguous circumstances;
  2. Clause 6 of the resolution authorising member states to try people for piratical crimes committed elsewhere but for offences to be “[treated] at least as seriously, as they would treat comparable crimes… against their own people”, resulting in potential jurisdictional shopping between member states;
  3. Most important, Clause 7 of the resolution “requiring that anyone abroad any vehicle” being used by pirates to be subject to “appropriate charges of criminal conspiracy and ‘accessory before the fact’”, and for reversing the burden of proof onto the accused, requiring those accused to prove that “they were forced into that crew on pain of death and served only as a non-combatant”, in breach of the widely held convention that the accused are deemed innocent until convicted of an offence;

Pleased that a suitable replacement to update efforts to govern cooperation between member states is pending before the Assembly;

Hereby repeals GAR#20 “Suppress International Piracy”.
Last edited by Goobergunchia on Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:36 am, edited 38 times in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:37 am

"This oversight is itself worthy of repeal, and piracy can be readily dealt with in a later proposal. We support this measure."

Bell makes his statement with great aplomb and returns to his desk, at which time he dons an eyepatch and perches a stuffed parrot on his shoulder.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:39 am

“This repeal seems very well-argued.” Lewitt comments. “The ‘pleased’ clause is lacking finishing punctuation, but, otherwise, I fully support this.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:39 pm

OOC: I had considered repealing this during April Fools' Day written in the style of a pirate, like this version. If there's a repeal where writing in a humorous vernacular is called for, this is the one (though I'd understand if you feel that's too derivative).

Simone Republic wrote:Pleased that a suitable replacement to update efforts to govern cooperation between member states is pending before the Assembly;

I don't really like this line. The phrase "pending before the Assembly" is really ambiguous. Do you mean it has been submitted and is in queue? If so, how is it not illegal for either contradiction or duplication of the still extant GA#20? Do you mean that it's currently being drafted? What if it never gets submitted? I think you're better off just eliminating it, or rephrasing it another way, e.g. "Awaiting a suitable replacement which can be brought forward only through the repeal of the target".

IC:

Simone Republic wrote:Acknowledges the efforts of GAR#20, “Suppress International Piracy” in helping to combat piracy, an international of significant concern among all member states;

Concerned, however, that the existing resolution contains a significant number of deficiencies which result in reduced effectiveness or outright harm in efforts to counter piracy, including:

"This preamble sits in a bit of a legislative uncanny valley, if you will. It doesn't adequately explain what's good about #20 and is too long for a short preamble. Either talk a bit more about the target, or just list the deficiencies."

Simone Republic wrote:Clause 1 of the resolution defining “pirates” in a convoluted manner as people “not formally recognised as agents of any government although some of them may have informal links to governments from whom they receive support”, but failing to properly define ”privateers” and their relationship with the government, resulting in substantial ambiguities in the application of the resolution when, for example, member states are at a stage of undeclared war, or if governments give tacit but not explicit approval to piracy activities, or other ambiguous circumstances;

"This really ought to be split into separate sentences. It's a bit difficult to parse as it is now. Also, I think there's a bit of a logical disconnect when you first bring up 'privateers'. What do they have to do with the resolution - or rather how do they pertain to the quoted definition? Explaining that piracy includes privateers and demonstrating that the definition doesn't adequately cover them seems like a better way to go about it."

OOC: Just re-read the target. Consider most of this statement retracted.

"Support."
Last edited by Heidgaudr on Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

Princess Rainbow Sparkles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Rainbow Sparkles » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:52 pm

Simone Republic wrote:Acknowledges the efforts of GAR#20, “Suppress International Piracy” in helping to combat piracy, an international of significant concern among all member states;

"An international what? If you're taking requests, may I suggest an international 'interest' of significant concern and then delete 'among all member states'."

Simone Republic wrote:Clause 6 of the resolution authorising member states to try people for piratical crimes committed elsewhere but for offences to be “[treated] at least as seriously, as they would treat comparable crimes… against their own people”, resulting in potential jurisdictional shopping between member states;

"Maybe I just don't understand this criticism. Is the idea that pirates would 'jurisdiction shop' by seeking to be captured only in nations where plundering isn't that big of a deal? I don't really understand that. Anyway maybe you could make the argument for repeal without picking on Clause 6 over sort of difficult to understand things?"

Simone Republic wrote:Most important, Clause 7 of the resolution “requiring that anyone abroad any vehicle” being used by pirates to be subject to “appropriate charges of criminal conspiracy and ‘accessory before the fact’”, and for reversing the burden of proof onto the accused, requiring those accused to prove that “they were forced into that crew on pain of death and served only as a non-combatant”, in breach of the widely held convention that the accused are deemed innocent until convicted of an offence;

"Generally check your spelling, because it's not always right. But my government strongly agrees with you on this point."
Last edited by Princess Rainbow Sparkles on Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:46 pm

OOC:
I have been aware of this issue in the target for quite some time, so I am glad to see someone else taking up the repeal effort. Full support, with or without replacement.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:51 pm

All replies in one go.

Heidgaudr wrote:OOC: I had considered repealing this during April Fools' Day written in the style of a pirate, like this version. If there's a repeal where writing in a humorous vernacular is called for, this is the one (though I'd understand if you feel that's too derivative).

I am a bit anxious that joke resolutions won't pass because I've tried a couple of times on the SC side and they tanked. Also my sense of humour is pretty absurdist, so probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Your text is probably funnier on the SC side I think, perhaps as a declaration for international pirate day?

Heidgaudr wrote:
Simone Republic wrote:Pleased that a suitable replacement to update efforts to govern cooperation between member states is pending before the Assembly;

I don't really like this line. The phrase "pending before the Assembly" is really ambiguous. Do you mean it has been submitted and is in queue? If so, how is it not illegal for either contradiction or duplication of the still extant GA#20? Do you mean that it's currently being drafted? What if it never gets submitted? I think you're better off just eliminating it, or rephrasing it another way, e.g. "Awaiting a suitable replacement which can be brought forward only through the repeal of the target".

I've adopted a version of your wording. Thanks for pointing this out.

Heidgaudr wrote:

"This preamble sits in a bit of a legislative uncanny valley, if you will. It doesn't adequately explain what's good about #20 and is too long for a short preamble. Either talk a bit more about the target, or just list the deficiencies."

This has been shortened to just listing the deficiencies. Better to just get to chase, as you said.

Heidgaudr wrote:
Simone Republic wrote:Clause 1 of the resolution defining “pirates” in a convoluted manner as people “not formally recognised as agents of any government although some of them may have informal links to governments from whom they receive support”, but failing to properly define ”privateers” and their relationship with the government, resulting in substantial ambiguities in the application of the resolution when, for example, member states are at a stage of undeclared war, or if governments give tacit but not explicit approval to piracy activities, or other ambiguous circumstances;

"This really ought to be split into separate sentences. It's a bit difficult to parse as it is now. Also, I think there's a bit of a logical disconnect when you first bring up 'privateers'. What do they have to do with the resolution - or rather how do they pertain to the quoted definition? Explaining that piracy includes privateers and demonstrating that the definition doesn't adequately cover them seems like a better way to go about it."

OOC: Just re-read the target. Consider most of this statement retracted.

"Support."

The target somehow makes a very sharp turn to "privateers" for reasons that I don't quite understand either.

The target doesn't really define what a "privateer" is - on my copy of the Oxford English Dictionary, this really should be referring to government-sponsored piracy, but if there's government sponsored piracy, the nations are likely to be at war anyway with submarines and modern navy ships with guns ablaze, so I think there's no point.

This is not the 17th century in the Caribbean (I'd allow that some may role-play in that era so this could be an issue).

I'd remind myself to allow for some leeway for ""privateers" sanctioned by a government but not operated by the government" this in the replacement to cover the folks on medieval role-play etc.

Princess Rainbow Sparkles wrote:

"An international what? If you're taking requests, may I suggest an international 'interest' of significant concern and then delete 'among all member states'."

Fixed as per draft 2.

Simone Republic wrote:Clause 6 of the resolution authorising member states to try people for piratical crimes committed elsewhere but for offences to be “[treated] at least as seriously, as they would treat comparable crimes… against their own people”, resulting in potential jurisdictional shopping between member states;

"Maybe I just don't understand this criticism. Is the idea that pirates would 'jurisdiction shop' by seeking to be captured only in nations where plundering isn't that big of a deal? I don't really understand that. Anyway maybe you could make the argument for repeal without picking on Clause 6 over sort of difficult to understand things?"

Yes that's what I meant with regards to clause 6. Basically clause 6 allows jurisdiction shop from a member state with a harsh penalty to a member state that's more lenient. It is I suspect based on the concept of hostis humani generis.

But yes clause 7 is a much bigger offence.

Simone Republic wrote:Most important, Clause 7 of the resolution “requiring that anyone abroad any vehicle” being used by pirates to be subject to “appropriate charges of criminal conspiracy and ‘accessory before the fact’”, and for reversing the burden of proof onto the accused, requiring those accused to prove that “they were forced into that crew on pain of death and served only as a non-combatant”, in breach of the widely held convention that the accused are deemed innocent until convicted of an offence;

"Generally check your spelling, because it's not always right. But my government strongly agrees with you on this point."

Thank you. My spelling and grammar are both choppy at times.

Excidium Planetis wrote:OOC:
I have been aware of this issue in the target for quite some time, so I am glad to see someone else taking up the repeal effort. Full support, with or without replacement.

Thank you. I only noticed this issue when I was trying to check GAR#22 to make sure I was OK on the repeal of GAR#164, and stumbled across this target. I was quite surprised by the wording to be honest as I've not seen GA presume guilt unless proven otherwise.

I intend for there to be a replacement, since international piracy is one of the few issues where I think even from natsov perspectives, there's need for international cooperation. Somali pirates somehow managed to get all five permanent members of the Security Council to fight on the same side (for the first and, to date, only time since 1945) with Russian and Chinese warships working alongside USA/GBR/FRA. So yes this one will get a replacement.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:17 pm, edited 13 times in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Postby Simone Republic » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:22 am

First bump.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Postby Simone Republic » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:29 am

I have removed my original criticism of clause 6 of the target from draft 3:

• Clause 6 of the target authorising member states to try people for piratical crimes committed elsewhere but for offences to be “[treated] at least as seriously, as they would treat comparable crimes… against their own people”, resulting in potential jurisdictional shopping when some member states may be more lenient on piracy offences compared to other member states;

This is because I realized (after re-reading Princess Rainbow Sparkle's comments) that it's difficult to prevent jurisdiction shop from a member state with a harsh penalty to a member state that's more lenient (simply because the oceans are large, boats float, etc etc) and too much natsov issues.

The proposed replacement has been posted:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=529506
Last edited by Simone Republic on Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:21 pm

"Full support" - Maria-Fernanda Novo, WA Ambassador for the Armed Republic of Juansonia
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Chipoli
Envoy

Founded: Mar 16, 2022
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chipoli » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:42 pm

"We offer our support for this proposal."
Vice Delegate of The North Pacific

All my comments represent my views and my views only unless otherwise indicated.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Postby Simone Republic » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:33 am

Last call, as I want to make a change from writing about business to writing about pirates instead.

There is a minor change in format as I changed it to a straight UN style format given it's a pretty brief resolution.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:45 am

Your opening words are inconsistently italicised.

"requiring th the burden of proof" is an error and there should not be a "[/list]" at the end of the clause it features in.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Postby Simone Republic » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:11 am

Tinhampton wrote:Your opening words are inconsistently italicised.

"requiring th the burden of proof" is an error and there should not be a "[/list]" at the end of the clause it features in.

Fixed both points, thanks. I am quite prone to editing and spelling errors as you'd no doubt have noticed by now.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:36 am

"Support."

~Alexander Nicholas Saverchenko-Colleti,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Communal Union of the Ice States.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

United States of Nikosa
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Nikosa » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:46 pm

"The United States of Nikosa, since its founding days, has always believed in the principle that one is proven innocent until proven guilty. Whether it was our corrupt, capitalistic form of government some time ago, to the democratic, socialist government of today. This is a great continuum of the United States of Nikosa, as shocking as it is to admit. Thus, the right to be assumed innocent until proven guilty of piracy, simply due to the unfortunate circumstance of being captured on a vehicle aiding and abetting piracy, is crucial to human rights. A rigorous investigation must be done with strict guidelines enforced to ensure that only those guilty of piracy are captured."

"I am incredibly honored to be able to vote affirmative on this resolution, as it was confirmed with our government a few hours ago."

"Piracy is quite a concern for any nation, whether socialist or capitalist. While we believe the greatest pirates in history are the capitalists and bourgeoisie, having stolen untold sums from the working class, we understand the concerns brought about by economic piracy on the world's oceans. Thus, we request that there be actions taken by the World Assembly, either it's through the General Assembly or the Security Council, to safeguard the seas from pirates through subsequent and appropriate legislation."

- William Hayes, Representative of the United States of Nikosa to the World Assembly

Istastioner
Envoy

Founded: Dec 27, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Istastioner » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:47 am

Support

Kaphellonia
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 01, 2023
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kaphellonia » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:46 pm

"Kaphellonia is in favor of this repeal," Kassandra declared confidently. "GA#20 Clause 7 is particularly bothersome and clearly in conflict with the idea that all people are innocent until proven guilty. While I agree with the criticisms brought forth by Amb. Asgeir Trelstad of Heidgaudr, I support this resolution nonetheless."
Évelin Aetós
The Community of Kaphellonia

Fluxoria
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 08, 2023
Ex-Nation

On the Support of Repealing "Suppress International Piracy"

Postby Fluxoria » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:01 pm

After carefully considering the arguments presented in the proposal to repeal GAR#20 "Suppress International Piracy," I have decided to vote "FOR" the repeal.

While I acknowledge the efforts of the original resolution to combat piracy, I share the concerns raised about the ambiguities created by Clause 1 and the travesty of judicial principles created by Clause 7. It is important that any World Assembly legislation upholds the principles of justice and due process, and the target resolution falls short in this regard.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives