NATION

PASSWORD

(SUBMITTED) A Game Theory

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Khardsland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2022
New York Times Democracy

(SUBMITTED) A Game Theory

Postby Khardsland » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:01 am

Description: A new study performed in a school in East @@ANIMAL@@ City showed a major increase in student interest and awareness when certain video games were added to the curriculum alongside regular studies to engage students on the topics discussed in class. Many people, especially those with a certain political agenda, are now demanding that certain games be made compulsory to be played at all schools.
Validity: No Video Games = False

Option 1
Description: "I'd say that DEFCOM: Nobody Wins should be downloaded on every school computer in every damn corner of @@NAME@@," proclaims anti-nuclear speaker @@RANDOMNAME@@ and member of the @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ Against Nuclear Weapons (@@NAMEINITIAL@@ANW). "Studies by Bigtopian scientists have already shown that people who played this game are scared about nuclear weapons more than ones who just mindlessly scrolled through some articles on them; why should our children have to miss out on the fun?"
Fallout: many school-going children spend sleepless nights after seeing the words '@@capital@@ hit - 4 million dead' flash on their school computer
Validity: All nations

Option 2
Description: "Are we really going to let our kids become hippies under the influence of such worthless rabble?", asks a war veteran, named @@RANDOMNAME@@, while saluting the national flag. "Now, I absolutely hate their video games and flip phones, but games like Call of Honor have made my son a true patriot if I've ever seen one", @@HE@@ adds. "And don't even get me started on that glorious scene where you raise the @@DEMONYM@@ flag over the Valkstag."
Fallout: t-bagging dead bigtopians in call of honor is most patriotic thing in @@name@@ right now

Option 3
Description: "I think you are ignoring a major world issue here", says @@RANDOMENAME@@, your Minister of Health while injecting you with the annual flu shot. "Games like Pandemic Inc. teach important concepts such as logistics, compliance management, risk assessment, and many more, by putting our children in the shoes of a global pandemic task force manager which will help them prevent the next great plague. They are our future-"
Fallout: 9/10 doctors recommend pandemic inc

Option 4
Description: "I send my kids to school for them to study in the real world, not some online comfort zone!", interjects @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, covering @@HIS@@ children's eyes to shield them from a computer in your office. "School is supposed to be a place for learning, not for sitting around doing nothing," @@HE@@ adds. "I don't want to see this digital filth anywhere near my kids."
Fallout: school e-mails have now been replaced by ye olde snail mail

[spoiler=Seventh (and hopefully final) Draft] Description: A new study performed in a school in East @@ANIMAL@@ City showed a major increase in student interest and awareness when certain video games were added to the curriculum alongside regular studies to engage students on the topics discussed in class. Many people, especially those with a certain political agenda, are now demanding that certain games be made compulsory to be played at all schools.

Option 1
Description: "I'd say that DEFCOM: Nobody Wins should be downloaded on every school computer in every damn corner of @@NAME@@," proclaims anti-nuclear speaker @@RANDOMNAME@@ and member of the @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ Against Nuclear Weapons (@@NAMEINITIAL@@ANW). "We need to teach our children how an isolated group of generals can destroy the world so that they understand why peace is good and nuclear weapons are our bane."
Fallout: many school-going children spend sleepless nights after seeing the words '@@capital@@ hit - 4 million dead' flash on their school computer

Option 2
Description: "Are we really going to let our kids become hippies under the influence of such worthless rabble?", asks a war veteran, named @@RANDOMNAME@@, while saluting the national flag. "Now, I absolutely hate their video games and flip phones, but games like Call of Honor have made my son a true patriot if I've ever seen one", @@HE@@ adds. "And don't even get me started on that glorious scene where you raise the @@DEMONYM@@ flag over the Valkstag."
Fallout: t-bagging dead bigtopians in call of honor is most patriotic thing in @@name@@ right now

Option 3
Description: "I think you are ignoring a major world issue here", says @@RANDOMENAME@@, your Minister of Health while injecting you with the annual flu shot. "Games like Pandemic Inc. teach important concepts such as logistics, compliance management, risk assessment, and many more, by putting our children in the shoes of a global pandemic task force manager which will help them prevent the next great plague. They are our future-"

Option 4
Description: "I send my kids to school for them to study in the real world, not some online comfort zone!", interjects @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, covering @@HIS@@ children's eyes with @@HIS@@ arms from a computer in your office. "School is supposed to be a place for learning, not for sitting around doing nothing," @@HE@@ adds. "I don't want to see this digital filth anywhere near my kids."
Fallout: school e-mails have now been replaced by ye olde snail mail
Validity: All nations[/spoiler]

Description: A new study performed in a school in East @@ANIMAL@@ City showed a major increase in student interest and awareness when certain video games were added to the curriculum alongside regular studies to engage students on the topics discussed in class. Many people, especially those with a certain political agenda, are now demanding that certain games be made compulsory to be played at all schools.

Option 1
Description: "I'd say that DEFCOM: Nobody Wins should be downloaded on every school computer in every damn corner of @@NAME@@," proclaims anti-nuclear speaker @@RANDOMNAME@@ while wearing a shirt that says 'Nukes R Not Cool'. "We need to teach our children how an isolated group of generals can let the world destroy itself so that they can understand why peace is good."
Fallout: many school-going children spend sleepless nights after seeing the words '@@CAPITAL@@ hit - 4 million dead' flash on their school computer

Option 2
Description: "Are we really going to let our kids become hippies under the influence of these worthless rabble?", asks a war veteran, named @@RANDOMNAME@@, while saluting the national flag. "Now, I absolutely hate their video games and flip phones, but games like Call of Honor have made my son a true patriot if I've ever seen one", @@HE@@ adds. "And don't even get me started on that glorious scene where you raise the @@DEMONYM@@ flag over the Valkstag."
Fallout: t-bagging dead bigtopians in call of honor is most patriotic thing in @@NAME@@ right now

Option 3
Description: "I think you are ignoring a major world issue here", says @@RANDOMENAME@@, your Minister of Health while injecting you with an annual flu shot. "Games like Pandemic Inc. teach important concepts like logistics, compliance management, risk assessment, and many more, which can help our children prevent the next great plague. They are our future-"

Option 4
Description: "I send my kids to school for them to study, not play video games!", interjects @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, covering @@HIS@@ children's eyes with @@HIS@@ hands from a computer in your office. "School is supposed to be a place for learning, not for sitting around doing nothing," @@HE@@ adds. "I don't want to see this filth they anywhere near my kids."
Fallout: school e-mails have now been replaced by post boxes

Option 1
Description: "I'd say that DEFCOM: Nobody Wins should be downloaded on every school computer in every damn corner of @@NAME@@," proclaims anti-nuclear speaker @@RANDOMNAME@@ while wearing a shirt that says 'Nukes R Not Cool'. "We need to teach our children how an isolated group of generals can let the world destroy itself so that they can understand why peace is good."
Fallout: Many school-going children spend sleepless nights after seeing the words '@@CAPITAL@@ HIT - 4 MILLION DEAD' flash on their school computer.

Option 2
Description: "Are we really going to let our kids become hippies under the influence of these worthless rabble?", asks a war veteran, named @@RANDOMNAME@@, while saluting the national flag. "Now, I absolutely hate their video games and flip phones, but games like Call of Honor have made my son a true patriot if I've ever seen one", @@HE@@ adds. "And don't even get me started on that glorious scene where you raise the @@DEMONYM@@ flag over the Valkstag."
Fallout: T-bagging dead Bigtopians in Call of Honor is most patriotic thing in @@NAME@@ right now.

Option 3
Description: "I think you are ignoring a major world issue here", says @@RANDOMENAME@@, your Minister of Health while injecting you with an annual flu shot. "Games like Pandemic Inc. teach important concepts like logistics, compliance management, risk assessment, and many more, which can help our children prevent the next great plague. They are our future-"
Fallout: Most doctors credit Pandemic Inc for making them interested in their profession.

Option 4
Description: "I send my kids to school for them to study, not play video games!", interjects @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, covering @@HIS@@ children's eyes with @@HIS@@ arms from a computer in your office. "School is supposed to be a place for learning, not for sitting around doing nothing," @@HE@@ adds. "I don't want to see this filth anywhere near my kids."
Fallout: Schools refuse to embrace change at all costs.
Validity: All nations[/spoiler}

[spoiler=Fourth Draft]Description: A new study performed in a school in East @@ANIMAL@@ City showed a major increase in student interest and awareness when subject related video games were added to the curriculum alongside regular studies. Many people, especially ones with a certain political agenda, are now demanding that certain games be made compulsory to be played at all schools.

Option 1.a
Description: "I'd say that DEFCOM: Nobody Wins should be downloaded in every school computer in every damn corner of @@NAME@@",proclaims anti-nuclear speaker @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We need to teach our children how an isolated group of generals can let the world destroy itself so that they can understand why peace is good",@@HE@@ adds. "Oh, and let me emphasize this once more: nukes are bad!"
Fallout: Many school-going children spend sleepless nights after seeing the words '@@CAPITAL@@ HIT - 4 MILLION DEAD' flash on their school computer.
Validity: Weapons of Mass Destruction = True

Option 1.b
Description: "I'd say that DEFCOM: Nobody Wins should be downloaded in every school computer in every damn corner of @@NAME@@",proclaims anti-nuclear protestor @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We need to teach our children how an isolated group of generals can let the world destroy itself so that they can understand why peace is good",@@HE@@ adds. "Oh, and thank you for being one of the very few nations in @@REGION@@ to get rid of these unnecessary horrors they call nukes."
Validity: No WMDS = True

Option 2
Description: "Are we really going to let our kids become hippies under influence from these worthless rabble?", asks a grumpy looking war veteran named @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Now, I absolutely hate their video games and flip phones but games like Call of Honor have made my son a true patriot if I've ever seen one", @@HE@@ adds. "And don't even get me started on that glorious scene where you raise the @@DEMONYM@@ flag over the Valkstag."
Fallout: T-bagging dead Bigtopians in Call of Honor is the coolest thing in @@NAME@@ right now.

Option 3
Description: "I think you are ignoring a major world issue here", says @@RANDOMENAME@@, your Minister of Health. "Games like Pandemic Inc teach important concepts like logistics, compliance management, risk assessment and many more which can help our children prevent the next great plague. They are our future after all."
Fallout: Most doctors credit Pandemic Inc for making them interested in their profession.

Option 4
Description: "I send my kids to school for them to study, not play video games!", interjects @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, covering @@HIS@@ children's eyes with @@HIS@@ arms from a computer in your office. "School is meant to be a place for learning, not loafing around and doing nothing", @@HE@@ adds. "I don't want to see this filth anywhere near my kids."

Description: A new study performed in a school in East @@ANIMAL@@ City showed a major increase in student interest and awareness when subject related video games were added to the curriculum alongside regular studies. Many people, especially ones with a certain political agenda, are now demanding that certain games be made compulsory to be played at all schools.

Option 1.a
Description: "I'd say that DEFCOM: Nobody Wins should be downloaded in every school computer in every damn corner of @@NAME@@",proclaims anti-nuclear speaker @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We need to teach our children the horrors of nuclear war and why peace is important",@@HE@@ adds. "Oh, and while you are at it, how about you get rid of those nuclear weapons that we clearly don't need?"

Option 1.b
Description: "I'd say that DEFCOM: Nobody Wins should be downloaded in every school computer in every damn corner of @@NAME@@",proclaims anti-nuclear protestor @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We need to teach our children the horrors of war and why peace is important",@@HE@@ adds. "Oh, and thank you for being one of the very few nations in @@REGION@@ to get rid of these unnecessary horrors they call nukes."

Option 2
Description: "Are we really going to let our kids become hippies under influence from these worthless rabble?", asks a grumpy looking boomer and war veteran named @@RANDOMNAME@@. "As much as I hate their stupid flip phones and GBs and video games, they're a great way to teach 'em about our great nation", @@HE@@ adds. "My grandson has been playing this game called Call of Honor where you shoot some Bigtopian scum and he is a real @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ patriot if I've ever seen one", @@HE@@ further adds without stopping. "Let's make our kids real patriots by giving them games like Call of Honor play with. Can you do us all a favor and tell the chaps who made this game to include certain glorious moments in our nation's history?"
Fallout: T-baging dead Bigtopians in Call of Honor is the coolest thing in @@NAME@@ right now.

Option 3
Description: "I think you are ignoring a major world issue here", says @@RANDOMENAME@@, your Minister of Health. "Games can be very good simulations and methods of studying", @@HE@@ adds. "Our children are the next generation of many to come, games like Pandemic Inc can help teach them strategies to prevent the next great plague from-"

Option 4
Description: "I send my kids to school for them to study, not play video games!", interjects @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, flaunting @@HIS@@ 'Most Protective Parent' award, not knowing what it means. "School is meant to be a place for learning, not loafing around and doing nothing", @@HE@@ adds. "I don't want to see this filth anywhere near my son."

Description: A new study performed in a school in East @@ANIMAL@@ City showed a major increase in student interest and awareness when subject related video games were added to the curriculum alongside regular studies. Many are now demanding that certain games be made compulsory to be played at school.

Option 1.a
Description: "I'd say that DEFCOM: Nobody Wins should be downloaded in every school computer in every damn corner of @@NAME@@",proclaims anti-nuclear speaker @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We need to teach our children the horrors of nuclear war and the principles of MAD",@@HE@@ adds. "Oh, and while you are at it, how about you get rid of those nuclear weapons that we clearly don't need?"
Fallout: Most school-going children spend sleepless nights after seeing the words '@@CAPITAL@@ HIT - 4 MILLION DEAD' on their screen.

Option 1.b
Description: "I'd say that DEFCOM: Nobody Wins should be downloaded in every school computer in every damn corner of @@NAME@@",proclaims anti-nuclear protestor @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We need to teach our children the horrors of war and the principles of MAD",@@HE@@ adds. "Oh, and thank you for being one of the very few nations in @@REGION@@ to get rid of these unnecessary horrors they call nukes."
Fallout: Most school-going children spend sleepless nights after seeing the words '@@CAPITAL@@ HIT - @@POPULATION_VALUE@@ MILLION DEAD' on their screen.

Option 2
Description: "Are we really going to let our kids become hippies under influence from these worthless rabble?", asks a grumpy looking boomer and war veteran named @@RANDOMNAME@@. "As much as I hate their stupid flip phones and GBs and video games, they're a great way to teach 'em about our great nation", @@HE@@ adds. "My grandson has been playing this game called Call of Honor where you shoot some Bigtopian scum and he is a real @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ patriot if I've ever seen one", @@HE@@ further adds without stopping. "Let's make our kids real patriots by giving them games like these to play with."
Fallout: Shooting Bigtopians in Call of Honor is the coolest thing in @@NAME@@ right now.

Option 3
Description: "I think you are ignoring a major world issue here", says @@RANDOMENAME@@, your Minister of Health. "Games can be very good simulations and methods of studying", @@HE@@ adds. "Download Pandemic Inc on all school computers in our @@TYPE@@ and teach our future generations on methods to prevent another great plague-"

Option 4
Description: "I send my kids to school for them to study, not play video games!", interjects @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, a very overprotective mother. "School is meant to be a place for learning, not moral corruption", @@HE@@ adds. "I don't want to see this filth anywhere near my son."

Description: A new study performed in a school in East @@ANIMAL@@ City showed a major increase in student interest and awareness when subject related video games were added to the curriculum alongside regular studies. Many are now demanding that certain games be made compulsory to be played at school.

Option 1.a
Description: "I'd say that DEFCOM: Nobody Wins should be downloaded in every school computer in every damn corner of @@NAME@@",proclaims anti-nuclear speaker @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We need to teach our children the horrors of nuclear war and the principles of MAD",@@HE@@ adds. "Oh, and while you are at it, how about you get rid of those nuclear weapons that we clearly don't need?"
Fallout: Most school-going children spend sleepless nights after seeing the words '@@CAPITAL@@ HIT - 4 MILLION DEAD' on their screen.

Option 1.b
Description: "I'd say that DEFCOM: Nobody Wins should be downloaded in every school computer in every damn corner of @@NAME@@",proclaims anti-nuclear protestor @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We need to teach our children the horrors of war and the principles of MAD",@@HE@@ adds. "Oh, and thank you for being one of the very few nations in @@REGION@@ to get rid of these unnecessary horrors they call nukes."
Fallout: Most school-going children spend sleepless nights after seeing the words '@@CAPITAL@@ HIT - @@POPULATION_VALUE@@ MILLION DEAD' on their screen.

Option 2
Description: "Are we really going to let our kids become hippies under influence from these worthless rabble?", asks a grumpy looking boomer and war veteran named @@RANDOMNAME@@. "As much as I hate their stupid flip phones and GBs and video games, they're a great way to teach 'em about our great nation", @@HE@@ adds. "My grandson has been playing this game called Call of Honor where you shoot some Bigtopian scum and he is a real @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ patriot if I've ever seen one", @@HE@@ further adds without stopping. "Let's make our kids real patriots by giving them games like these to play with."
Fallout: Shooting Bigtopians in Call of Honor is the coolest thing in @@NAME@@ right now.

Option 3
Description: "Do video games always have to be about war?", asks school nerd and two times Physics National Achievements Prize winner @@RANDOMNAME@@. "How about some sciencey games like, I don't know, Kerbin Space Agency?",@@HE@@ adds. "Sure, not everyone is a physics expert who can calculate the exact velocity needed to have a safe landing while micromanaging the thrust of your rocket but it will surely inspire our brightest minds."
Fallout: Second graders are experts at flying rockets.

Option 4
Description: "I think you are ignoring a major world issue here", says @@RANDOMENAME@@, your Minister of Health. "Games can be very good simulations and methods of studying", @@HE@@ adds. "Download Pandemic Inc on all school computers in our @@TYPE@@ and teach our future generations on methods to prevent another great plague-"

Option 5
Description: "I send my kids to school for them to study, not play video games!", interjects @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, a very overprotective mother. "School is meant to be a place for learning, not moral corruption", @@HE@@ adds. "I don't want to see this filth anywhere near my son."
Last edited by Khardsland on Fri May 26, 2023 12:59 am, edited 33 times in total.
“When I feed the poor they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry they call me a communist” -Hélder Câmara
"We liberated Europe from fascism, but they will never forgive us for it" -Marshal Zhukov

Equality > Freedom
From the river to the shining sea, the natives shall be free!
My LeftValues Score

All NS Policies canon except AI Personhood, Affirmative Action, Metricism, Human Sacrifice and AI Planning
A Class 1.14 nation according to this index
Population: 371,508
No NS Stats are considered canon

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:21 am

Are we talking educational video games or war video games? Two very different things
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Khardsland
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Khardsland » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:24 am

Idk if you know this but Poland has declared than This War of Mine be played in schools. It's meant to educate children on the horrors of war. Hope you get it now.
“When I feed the poor they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry they call me a communist” -Hélder Câmara
"We liberated Europe from fascism, but they will never forgive us for it" -Marshal Zhukov

Equality > Freedom
My LeftValues Score

All NS Policies canon except AI Personhood, Affirmative Action, Metricism, Human Sacrifice and AI Planning

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:09 pm

Khardsland wrote:Idk if you know this but Poland has declared than This War of Mine be played in schools. It's meant to educate children on the horrors of war. Hope you get it now.

This is not the case. I don't know where you read that, but in reality:

1. The Polish government have only recommended that it be played by students over 18, and even then only for students of some humanities subjects, and
2. Poland is not directly supplying the game to schools or students; it has to be downloaded from their website.

In short: no, nobody in Poland is required to play This War of Mine. This issue is based on the false premise that it is mandatory and the options follow from there. (Although they are radical, as options should be!)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Khardsland
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Khardsland » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:10 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Khardsland wrote:Idk if you know this but Poland has declared than This War of Mine be played in schools. It's meant to educate children on the horrors of war. Hope you get it now.

This is not the case. I don't know where you read that, but in reality:

1. The Polish government have only recommended that it be played by students over 18, and even then only for students of some humanities subjects, and
2. Poland is not directly supplying the game to schools or students; it has to be downloaded from their website.

In short: no, nobody in Poland is required to play This War of Mine. This issue is based on the false premise that it is mandatory and the options follow from there. (Although they are radical, as options should be!)

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Equality > Freedom
My LeftValues Score

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:06 pm

While we're on the topic of video games as an education tool, might as well add an option to boost the space program by adding Kerbin Space Agency (KSP reference) to schools?
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:50 pm

Juansonia wrote:While we're on the topic of video games as an education tool, might as well add an option to boost the space program by adding Kerbin Space Agency (KSP reference) to schools?

Or even the quintessential Roller Coaster Tycoon? Oh wait, I hear that game can cause people to become more maniacal by building theme parks on par with Guantanamo Bay. I would also suggest Mario Party, but that is the leading cause of broken friendships and unneeded rage.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

Khardsland
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Khardsland » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:09 am

I was thinking of a few more ideas on par of those. Like Pandemic Inc (Plague Inc), Commie Hunter (if Capitalist) and Workers Inc (if Socialist). Do your best and criticize this.

Equality > Freedom
My LeftValues Score

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:55 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:
Juansonia wrote:While we're on the topic of video games as an education tool, might as well add an option to boost the space program by adding Kerbin Space Agency (KSP reference) to schools?

Or even the quintessential Roller Coaster Tycoon? Oh wait, I hear that game can cause people to become more maniacal by building theme parks on par with Guantanamo Bay. I would also suggest Mario Party, but that is the leading cause of broken friendships and unneeded rage.

The difference is that KSP teaches physics, which neither of the games you listed does. DEFCON teaches about the horrors of nuclear war, and This War of Mine teaches about what battles are like for civilian survivors. Call of Duty is propaganda(and used for recruitment), so it makes perfect sense for a jingoist to support, despite the relative lack of educational value.

I get it, the point of issues is to be wacky, but it needs to make sense in at least a convoluted manner.
Khardsland wrote:I was thinking of a few more ideas on par of those. Like Pandemic Inc (Plague Inc), Commie Hunter (if Capitalist) and Workers Inc (if Socialist). Do your best and criticize this.
Pandemic Inc makes some sense, as do knockoff Workers and Resources. Commie Hunter seems to just be another version of the propaganda option, maybe a business simulator would make more sense.
Last edited by Juansonia on Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:41 pm

Juansonia wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:Or even the quintessential Roller Coaster Tycoon? Oh wait, I hear that game can cause people to become more maniacal by building theme parks on par with Guantanamo Bay. I would also suggest Mario Party, but that is the leading cause of broken friendships and unneeded rage.

The difference is that KSP teaches physics, which neither of the games you listed does. DEFCON teaches about the horrors of nuclear war, and This War of Mine teaches about what battles are like for civilian survivors. Call of Duty is propaganda(and used for recruitment), so it makes perfect sense for a jingoist to support, despite the relative lack of educational value.

I get it, the point of issues is to be wacky, but it needs to make sense in at least a convoluted manner.
Khardsland wrote:I was thinking of a few more ideas on par of those. Like Pandemic Inc (Plague Inc), Commie Hunter (if Capitalist) and Workers Inc (if Socialist). Do your best and criticize this.
Pandemic Inc makes some sense, as do knockoff Workers and Resources. Commie Hunter seems to just be another version of the propaganda option, maybe a business simulator would make more sense.

I just merely suggested those wacky options. Besides, everyone knows that Mario Party causes more violence than any "violent" video game. Moral of the story is: violent video games don't kill people, lag kills people.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

Steelfeather Rapture 1
Attaché

Founded: Aug 18, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Steelfeather Rapture 1 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:55 pm

Mandatory school gaming sessions sounds like a great issue for Nationstates. Adding games to the curriculum sounds very advanced! Not very wise, but very advanced...
Please telegram me if you want me to be active in a thread... I'm shy, and the telegrams scare me less than the forum itself.

Khardsland
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Khardsland » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:01 am

Steelfeather Rapture 1 wrote:Mandatory school gaming sessions sounds like a great issue for Nationstates. Adding games to the curriculum sounds very advanced! Not very wise, but very advanced...

Well, games have a good advantage that books or other media don't. They require the player to be an active part in them and also get their interest very quickly. I can see games being a learning medium probably in our lifetime.

Equality > Freedom
My LeftValues Score

Khardsland
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Khardsland » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:03 pm

/finalbump

Equality > Freedom
My LeftValues Score

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:44 pm

This is a reasonable topic, but the draft isn't ready yet! Please keep working on it.

- Use of video games in the school curriculum is a valid topic of debate, but I think we need to get there through a more believable premise. The line about sales being high seems unrelated to the statement that there is a boom in the education field, so at the moment this reads as "Some video games sold well, so now many people are demanding they be added made mandatory at school." Those dots don't connect. If the goal is to suggest that certain educational games did well, I would suggest specifying that in particular. Based on the options though, it looks more like people are suggesting random popular games based on their political agendas, so what we really need is a reason why every side of the political spectrum suddenly wants to gamify education. Perhaps a study was published showing unusually strong results from video games in the classroom. Could be a new parenting book was released that by a celebrity author who happens to own a game publisher. Maybe a middle-schooler's science fair project was taken out of context and ended up getting coverage on some inane daytime TV-show "doctor's" segment, leading to suburban parents suddenly demanding this new miracle solution to their unwillingness to raise their own children like responsible adults. This needs something that actually would lead to the political action specified.

- Six options is a bit much. The debate currently presented is about whether you should put games in schools at all – not which game to put. This currently reads a bit too much like a list of in-references for gaming nerds, trying to see how many big names can be slipped in as options. I would limit it to perhaps two options in favor of introducing games for particular agendas (for example, one "educational" option and one "government propaganda" option), and either one or *maybe* two options that are opposed.

- Effect lines aren't sentences – they don't take capitals or terminal punctuation. They should be succinct, preferably witty, and shouldn't require knowing the issue they came from to have them make sense and/or be funny to a reader seeing them on a nation page.\

- For whatever video games you do choose to reference, the speakers need to describe *why* those games will accomplish what they want them to. One can't assume, for example, that your reader will have heard of or know anything about This War of Mine, or why it might turn kids against war. All relevant knowledge or information for supporting an option should be included in the issue text itself. The references are a fun bonus for those who know, but not knowing them should not detract.

- Try to give the descriptions of your speakers a bit more life. They all feel fairly literal and dull right now. Watch the gendering as well – no need to gender randomized names unless it serves a specific purpose.

Khardsland
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Khardsland » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:11 am

Verdant Haven wrote:This

Is it better now?

Equality > Freedom
My LeftValues Score

Khardsland
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Khardsland » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:48 am

/anotherbumpcozwhynot

Equality > Freedom
My LeftValues Score

Khardsland
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Khardsland » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:25 am

/bump

Equality > Freedom
My LeftValues Score

Khardsland
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Khardsland » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:37 am

/anotherbump

Equality > Freedom
My LeftValues Score

Khardsland
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Khardsland » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:57 am

/bump

Equality > Freedom
My LeftValues Score

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?