NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCONTINUED] Debtor Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

One Of My First Drafts.

Should I Improve it?
3
30%
It looks good.
2
20%
It looks bad.
5
50%
 
Total votes : 10

User avatar
Polomon Islands
Envoy
 
Posts: 292
Founded: Oct 06, 2021
Anarchy

[DISCONTINUED] Debtor Act

Postby Polomon Islands » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:55 am

The World Assembly,

UNDERSTANDING, that a debtor is a person or institution that owes a sum of money, and that person has a low income and a high debt and cannot pay the debt off.

CONSERNED, that debtors will not be able to pay their bills or buy food and have proper housing, along with the risk of going to a debtors jail.
Along with the fact that debtors are borrowing money and taking loans that help with their debt, put repaying back those loans will put them back in debt unless they have a good job with a good income.

BELIEVING, that debtors will not be able to pay the debts back in time, therefore going to debtors jail. Also believing that certain people who owed money by debtors are too harsh on people with debts they owe to that person.

Knowing that people in debt will not have the proper amount of money needed to pay for housing, food or taxes, hereby:

1. Creates the NDA (National Debt Association) for other nation's citizens to pay for their taxes, bills and proper housing for those who are in serious debt and cannot pay for those needs daily.

2. Forbids the usage of the debtor jail, and will postpone repayments to banks for debtors. Also preventing debt collectors from suing debtors.

3. Forbids punishment to debtors for not paying the debts, and defends debtors from banks and tax or debt collectors threatening the person,
and will introduce debtors to new jobs with a high salary.

Hoping that debtors will recover from their debts and will be able to live a better live than before, hereby proposes the "Debtor Act".
Last edited by Polomon Islands on Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current Delegate for TOUN.
Friends With Papal States 2 and Wolomon Islands and Formerly Dungtoper

User avatar
Polomon Islands
Envoy
 
Posts: 292
Founded: Oct 06, 2021
Anarchy

Postby Polomon Islands » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:00 am

Please reply what you think and I hope my first draft goes well!
Current Delegate for TOUN.
Friends With Papal States 2 and Wolomon Islands and Formerly Dungtoper

User avatar
Xanthorrhoea
Attaché
 
Posts: 73
Founded: Aug 22, 2021
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Xanthorrhoea » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:16 am

Polomon Islands wrote:3. Forbids punishment to debtors for not paying the debts, and defends debtors from banks and tax or debt collectors threatening the person,
and will introduce debtors to new jobs with a high salary.


So I can rack up as much debt as I want, not have any consquences, and then have someone find me a high paying job? Sign me up!

Jokes aside, this proposal needs a hell of a lot of caveats before I would remotely consider voting for it. Debt can be a huge problem, and some king of proposal to reduce it's harms would be an interesting thing indeed. I would much rather such a proposal aimed at reducing the circumstances that lead to debt. Removing the consequences of poor financial planning would be apoccalyptic to every WA economy.

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13145
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Sparta » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:17 am

I would suggest you read prior resolutions that dealt with this topic and find out what has worked and what hasn't. Right now, it's definitely nowhere near a good resolution.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Polomon Islands
Envoy
 
Posts: 292
Founded: Oct 06, 2021
Anarchy

Postby Polomon Islands » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:17 am

Xanthorrhoea wrote:
Polomon Islands wrote:3. Forbids punishment to debtors for not paying the debts, and defends debtors from banks and tax or debt collectors threatening the person,
and will introduce debtors to new jobs with a high salary.


So I can rack up as much debt as I want, not have any consquences, and then have someone find me a high paying job? Sign me up!

Jokes aside, this proposal needs a hell of a lot of caveats before I would remotely consider voting for it. Debt can be a huge problem, and some king of proposal to reduce it's harms would be an interesting thing indeed. I would much rather such a proposal aimed at reducing the circumstances that lead to debt. Removing the consequences of poor financial planning would be apoccalyptic to every WA economy.

So, what parts are needed to be changed?
Current Delegate for TOUN.
Friends With Papal States 2 and Wolomon Islands and Formerly Dungtoper

User avatar
Tinhampton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9370
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:21 am

Inb4 "this contradicts GA#476:" the provisions of said resolution are expressly "subject to past and future World Assembly resolutions."
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375
Other achievements: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; possibly very controversial; "Tinhampton? the man's literally god"
Who am I, really? 46yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate; currently reading National Populism by Roger Eatwell and Matthew Goodwin

User avatar
Polomon Islands
Envoy
 
Posts: 292
Founded: Oct 06, 2021
Anarchy

Postby Polomon Islands » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:24 am

So this draft cant be put up for vote?
Current Delegate for TOUN.
Friends With Papal States 2 and Wolomon Islands and Formerly Dungtoper

User avatar
Liebendeland
Envoy
 
Posts: 211
Founded: Oct 14, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby Liebendeland » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:30 am

A fair idea in theory, but it seems like it simply can't work. I don't even know how exactly this would be fixed.
Liebendeland is on a small island off the western Portuguese coast.
NS stats are canon unless anything stated elsewhere contradicts them.
Thank you to -Astoria- for helping with the code I used on the daily news thingamajigger.


BREAKING NEWS:
The Lights of Lux Litus quickly becomes the most successful newspaper service within a few weeks. | Corvusian forces amass for an invasion of Taninsia. | The Lowlands have been annexed and the election process has begun.

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13145
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Sparta » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:30 am

Polomon Islands wrote:So this draft cant be put up for vote?

As Tinhampton pointed out, your draft contradicts GA476. That would make it illegal.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Ikania
Senator
 
Posts: 3534
Founded: Jun 28, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Ikania » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:32 am

Will there be a provision forbidding indebted people from being coerced into participating in round-by-round children's games with the promise of debt relief, under threat of death? Asking for a friend.

Unfortunately, as others are saying, GA476 is in the way of what you're seeking to achieve here, and unless you can get it repealed, I don't see a room for this draft to make it to vote, unless you significantly alter/expand it.
Ike: Your Best Nightmare.
Conductor, Grand Central, 2016
Delegate, Nesapo, 2013-14
Holder of many miscellaneous offices in various regions over the years.
NSG Senate veteran. Knuckle-dragging fuckstick from a backwater GCR. #SPRDNZ
Find me on Discord: Ike#3548

User avatar
Xanthorrhoea
Attaché
 
Posts: 73
Founded: Aug 22, 2021
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Xanthorrhoea » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:52 am

Polomon Islands wrote:So, what parts are needed to be changed?


Basically all of it. A good basic approach is something like this:

1. You need to think of what exactly you want to accomplish with this proposal. Are you mainly concerned about things like debtor's prison (already covered - see Tinhampton's post), assisting debtors by making it easier to get out of debt, dismantling systems of financial lending, or somthing else? Decide the 2 or 3 main things you want to address, check the list of previous resolutions to make sure they're not already sufficciently covered, and settle on what topics your resolution will cover.

2. Next, draft a proposal, and try to phrase it so it only has the specific effects you want it to. Be as detailed and precise as you can. When drafting, start with a few introductory clauses justifying the need for the proposal. Basically explain why your proposal is needed, and why this proposal is the way to do it. After the intro, create a list of operative clauses that (in the form of laws) detail what your proposal does. Don't say things like 'should,' 'will' or 'aims to.' Your laws should have action words that force nations to follow them (think 'requires,' 'bans,' 'creates' etc).

3. Next, once you have your set of laws, read through them and try and abuse them. Go ham. Try and find all the loopholes to avoid the effects you can and close them. Look for additional effects outside what you intend, and stamp them out. This is the phase the forum is useful for. You will likely go through many iterations before you get close to the final version.

4. Finally, and this is the bit that doesn't get mentioned often, you need to submit your proposal, and campaign for it. To reach the floor, it will need to be supported by enough WA delegates. This means you need to convince them it's worth voting on. You will need an organised campaign to convince them. I highly reccomend reading THISguide on a way to send messages to the delegates to support your proposal. If you don't campaign, your proposal will almost certainly fail.




I'd suggest taking a step back and doing steps 1-2 on your own. Take a look at previous resolutions that have passed for inspiration on how to word things, formatting and different ways of solving problems. Once you've done that, do step 3 on your own 2 or 3 times, then re-submit it to this foruml. I would reccomend having it up for review for at least 2 weeks minimum before submitting it to the WA and starting your campaign.

Good luck with it! Making a proposal is a lot of work, but (I imagine) it's a wonderful feling when it passes.

Outer Sparta wrote:As Tinhampton pointed out, your draft contradicts GA476. That would make it illegal.


I think Tinhampton was stating the opposite...
Last edited by Xanthorrhoea on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13145
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Sparta » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:38 am

Xanthorrhoea wrote:
Polomon Islands wrote:So, what parts are needed to be changed?


Basically all of it. A good basic approach is something like this:

1. You need to think of what exactly you want to accomplish with this proposal. Are you mainly concerned about things like debtor's prison (already covered - see Tinhampton's post), assisting debtors by making it easier to get out of debt, dismantling systems of financial lending, or somthing else? Decide the 2 or 3 main things you want to address, check the list of previous resolutions to make sure they're not already sufficciently covered, and settle on what topics your resolution will cover.

2. Next, draft a proposal, and try to phrase it so it only has the specific effects you want it to. Be as detailed and precise as you can. When drafting, start with a few introductory clauses justifying the need for the proposal. Basically explain why your proposal is needed, and why this proposal is the way to do it. After the intro, create a list of operative clauses that (in the form of laws) detail what your proposal does. Don't say things like 'should,' 'will' or 'aims to.' Your laws should have action words that force nations to follow them (think 'requires,' 'bans,' 'creates' etc).

3. Next, once you have your set of laws, read through them and try and abuse them. Go ham. Try and find all the loopholes to avoid the effects you can and close them. Look for additional effects outside what you intend, and stamp them out. This is the phase the forum is useful for. You will likely go through many iterations before you get close to the final version.

4. Finally, and this is the bit that doesn't get mentioned often, you need to submit your proposal, and campaign for it. To reach the floor, it will need to be supported by enough WA delegates. This means you need to convince them it's worth voting on. You will need an organised campaign to convince them. I highly reccomend reading THISguide on a way to send messages to the delegates to support your proposal. If you don't campaign, your proposal will almost certainly fail.




I'd suggest taking a step back and doing steps 1-2 on your own. Take a look at previous resolutions that have passed for inspiration on how to word things, formatting and different ways of solving problems. Once you've done that, do step 3 on your own 2 or 3 times, then re-submit it to this foruml. I would reccomend having it up for review for at least 2 weeks minimum before submitting it to the WA and starting your campaign.

Good luck with it! Making a proposal is a lot of work, but (I imagine) it's a wonderful feling when it passes.

Outer Sparta wrote:As Tinhampton pointed out, your draft contradicts GA476. That would make it illegal.


I think Tinhampton was stating the opposite...

I thought they directly meant it, but obviously it doesn't change the fact that this proposal is not quality at all.
Last edited by Outer Sparta on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Liebendeland
Envoy
 
Posts: 211
Founded: Oct 14, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby Liebendeland » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:15 pm

If you can improve the proposal, I'll support it.
Liebendeland is on a small island off the western Portuguese coast.
NS stats are canon unless anything stated elsewhere contradicts them.
Thank you to -Astoria- for helping with the code I used on the daily news thingamajigger.


BREAKING NEWS:
The Lights of Lux Litus quickly becomes the most successful newspaper service within a few weeks. | Corvusian forces amass for an invasion of Taninsia. | The Lowlands have been annexed and the election process has begun.

User avatar
Wayneactia
Minister
 
Posts: 2467
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wayneactia » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:20 pm

Polomon Islands wrote:So this draft cant be put up for vote?

No, it can not.
Sarcasm dispensed liberally.

User avatar
Polomon Islands
Envoy
 
Posts: 292
Founded: Oct 06, 2021
Anarchy

Postby Polomon Islands » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 am

Ok. I will try renovating this.
It will be done in a couple of days.
Current Delegate for TOUN.
Friends With Papal States 2 and Wolomon Islands and Formerly Dungtoper

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13145
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Sparta » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:38 pm

Polomon Islands wrote:Ok. I will try renovating this.
It will be done in a couple of days.

And it's discontinued. Guess you couldn't really get this one going off the ground.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Polomon Islands
Envoy
 
Posts: 292
Founded: Oct 06, 2021
Anarchy

Postby Polomon Islands » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:03 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:
Polomon Islands wrote:Ok. I will try renovating this.
It will be done in a couple of days.

And it's discontinued. Guess you couldn't really get this one going off the ground.

Yeah I rethought about it and I was close to finishing another one, only for my computer to die so I just gave up on it.
Last edited by Polomon Islands on Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Delegate for TOUN.
Friends With Papal States 2 and Wolomon Islands and Formerly Dungtoper

User avatar
Tinhampton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9370
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:08 pm

Polomon Islands wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:And it's discontinued. Guess you couldn't really get this one going off the ground.

Yeah I rethought about it and I was close to finishing another one, only for my computer to die so I just gave up on it.

Are you really giving up work on this draft because you hit a BSOD?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375
Other achievements: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; possibly very controversial; "Tinhampton? the man's literally god"
Who am I, really? 46yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate; currently reading National Populism by Roger Eatwell and Matthew Goodwin

User avatar
Liebendeland
Envoy
 
Posts: 211
Founded: Oct 14, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby Liebendeland » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:15 pm

"Never give up" - I think like The Rock or something
Liebendeland is on a small island off the western Portuguese coast.
NS stats are canon unless anything stated elsewhere contradicts them.
Thank you to -Astoria- for helping with the code I used on the daily news thingamajigger.


BREAKING NEWS:
The Lights of Lux Litus quickly becomes the most successful newspaper service within a few weeks. | Corvusian forces amass for an invasion of Taninsia. | The Lowlands have been annexed and the election process has begun.


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Large Ladz, SimTropican, Tinhampton

Advertisement

Remove ads