NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates GT Class Racing Idea Board

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Sword Island
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

NationStates GT Class Racing Idea Board

Postby Sword Island » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:29 pm

NOTE: This is not a signup thread. If this generates enough interest I'll make a signup thread

So I've noticed there is a big gap in the motorsports lineup of NS Sports. We have stock car racing and Formula racing but other forms of auto racing like rally and endurance racing are missing. So I decided to try to fill that void with the help of the NS Sports community. Now I will acknowledge I do not have much experience, or any at all hosting events here so I am soliciting help. This thread's purpose is to bounce around ideas like the scorinator used for such a competition, RP rules, and a whole host of stuff that I couldn't think of on my own. Feel free to put anything you think I would need for this to work.
"Why do you care what people think?
Are you hooked up to their leash?
You know anklebiters
Ate up your personality"- Paramore

Song of the Day: Face Down- The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Album of the Day: brand new eyes- Paramore

Lisander
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lisander » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:02 pm

Every category that currently exists on these boards emulates a RLStates category.

WGPC is like F1 (and by extension, WGP2 is like F2). I say "emulate" and "like" because it doesn't follow the RL F1 that closely. People are free to have a car however they like, as long as its appearance is somewhat related to the contemporary concept of "open-wheel car".

NSSCRA is like NASCAR, with its primary and secondary categories. Again, there is not a lot of regulations on what a NSSCRA car is, but thanks to the works of VilTur and Saint Kanye in providing templates, every car looks like the RL NASCAR cars of the last decade.

Different of those closed circles with "somewhat-spec" cars, GT Class is something bigger. There are different categories of GT Cars. Japan itself has its own system, only with local manufacturers. I will focus in the common "european" GT categories, like GTE (Endurance), GT3 and GT4.

While the cars are somewhat diverse in design, since they are all based on production cars, there are differences between categories. Under the hood, they're quite different, even if they look similar outside and even are based on the same production model. Think about the three variations of Aston Martin AMR Vantage. They look different, they sound different, and if you're looking to the numbers, they have different horsepower values.

What do I mean, you might be asking? I believe you need to deliver more, define more exactly what you're trying to do. If you want to start a competition like that you must define what is the standard. Will it be a GT3 competition, where manufacturers are encouraged and some prime aerodynamics can be used? Maybe is it a GTE competition, with 4/6/8/12/24 hours racing? Or will it be a low-cost GT4 competition, where a rich girl can buy four or five sports cars, make a team and drive around the world?

I suggest you start with a Domestic or Invitational event, instead of something open to everyone. It could help you with getting the details of the scorinator.
Last edited by Lisander on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Principality of Lisander, a sports loving, very highly developed nation in Astyria.
Disappointing people and missing deadlines since 2013.

Ethane
Minister

Founded: Sep 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:01 pm

I have to say, I'm genuinely interested in something like rally or endurance racing. If an event in either of these categories were to come up, I'd definitely consider signing up. I'd recommend perhaps speaking to a few people in the NSS motorsports community to see if they have any ideas, plus look into scoring your own (as Lisander mentioned).

But, like, I am 100% interested in something like this in a different racing format, probably as a one-off event or every so often.
Esportivan and Proud.
<drawk> If the entirety of the nation of Ethane was covered in a single cubic foot of Ethane on its surface, lighting it all on fire would cause a 5.44 megaton blast.
Best WorldVision Finish: 2nd. Best World Cup Finish: Quarter-Finals. Best KPB Rank: 8th. Best WBC Finish: 1st.

Saint Kanye
Minister

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint Kanye » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:38 pm

Hodor does a rally racing thing but it's domestic.
Gale Force Racing (NSSCRA Main Tier)
18 Jeremiah Brooke (S9 Champ, S13 Runner-up) | 27 Stacie Houston (S7 Champ, S12 Runner-up) | 46 Thea Alvarez (S10 Runner-up)

Skip Stiller Speedworks (NSSCRA Second Tier)
20 Sage Caldwell | 22 Pyotr Lavrentiev (S13 Champion) | 30 Lexi Patterson

Champion:
IBC 20, 22, 23, 24 (Basketball)
NSCAA 11 (College Basketball)
IC7 II, VI (7ball)
Arena Bowl VI (Arena Gridiron)
NSSCRA 9 (Stock Car Racing)

Runner-up:
World Bowl 42 (Gridiron)
NSSCRA 10, 12, 13

Bronze:
IBC 19

YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!

Arrosia, baby

Hodori Motorsports
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 13, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hodori Motorsports » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:22 am

Saint Kanye wrote:Hodor does a rally racing thing but it's domestic.

It's Hodori. As in the Seoul 1988 mascot, not the throne-games character.

I also do domestic GT (structured similarly to the RL Japanese Super GT) and open-wheel championships.
Grand Touring Association of Hodori (Hodori GT-A)
Hodori Motorsports is Hodori's automotive racing sanctioning body and the motorsports puppet of Hodori. The nation proper is Hodori.
GTTV.co.hd - Domestic Sportswire
Participation:
| NSSCRA2 (Hodori) -- NSSCRA5 |
| WGPC13 -- WGPC18 |
| NSCS1 -- NSCS4 |

Hosting:
| NSFC1 | NSFC2 |
WGPC13 WDC runner up: Asao Nadakei
NSSCRA2 runner up; NSSCRA3, NSSCRA4 Champion; Milliken Invitational Winner: Lien Murakami

Saint Kanye
Minister

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint Kanye » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:31 am

Oh damn, I'm so sorry. (Thought "Hodori" with the "i" is the demonym. too)

Back on topic, yeah, the thing about domestic series is that you can do any form of racing you want (as long as you can scorinate), and if people see it interesting, they may push for it to go international.
Gale Force Racing (NSSCRA Main Tier)
18 Jeremiah Brooke (S9 Champ, S13 Runner-up) | 27 Stacie Houston (S7 Champ, S12 Runner-up) | 46 Thea Alvarez (S10 Runner-up)

Skip Stiller Speedworks (NSSCRA Second Tier)
20 Sage Caldwell | 22 Pyotr Lavrentiev (S13 Champion) | 30 Lexi Patterson

Champion:
IBC 20, 22, 23, 24 (Basketball)
NSCAA 11 (College Basketball)
IC7 II, VI (7ball)
Arena Bowl VI (Arena Gridiron)
NSSCRA 9 (Stock Car Racing)

Runner-up:
World Bowl 42 (Gridiron)
NSSCRA 10, 12, 13

Bronze:
IBC 19

YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!

Arrosia, baby

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:43 pm

I think an endurance series has potential. You want something that's going to play differently from NSSCRA or WGPC.

I haven't made any decisions about whether I'd enter or not.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:15 pm

If this gets on, I am so in. If the OP gets creative with the races, all the better.
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:40 pm

Given my relatively free status as of now (still job hunting), I definitely can and will join another race event because Valentians love a good race. :P
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Vangaziland
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:52 am

I would participate. It sounds like at least some interest is here. I would say don’t worry about starting a domestic event by yourself. If you do make a signup thread, be sure to add a detailed bid. Talk to people in the WGPC about scorinators. Try to emulate that format down to the detailed table and map for each track. You might even want to post an example race result in your hosting bid. Worst case scenario is that you can make a 3 race event to start. The league can even be a mix of small events and doesn’t have to jump into a six month event like other leagues. People will join if it looks like what they’ve seen in other top leagues.

But I’d say work up a format, check with other tournaments planners to nail down details and don’t hesitate to try. Best of luck! See you on the track.
Last edited by Vangaziland on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Emessia
Civilian

Founded: Jan 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Emessia » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:35 am

Why not take cues from the video game by the same name, and go with production car racing? :p

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:05 am

I'm not particularly interested in this form of racing, but would support the series with a driver to get it off the ground. Scorination is the big key, though.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Aboveland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 04, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Aboveland » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:51 am

I echo the sentiment that the GT racing series should play out differently enough from WGPC to be attractive; it's a similar reason to why eGP never took off, because OOCly the RPing bit was largely the same. If the GT racing class was more endurance oriented, that would surely bring something different to the table. Either way, I'd most likely participate at least once.
AUTONOMOUS TERRITORIES OF THE ABOVIAN UNION: Nykipiflugpuu

Home to Terho Talvela, three-time WGPC World Champion, and one-time WSRC World Champion

Vangaziland
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:01 am

The RP should be different, sure. That’s really up to the writers. There will have to be rules like driver switches. The endurance theme is great for sure. More importantly for the series designer and host is that the Race Result scorecard has to be up to the quality of the WGPC or NSSCRA. If the table looks super generic or barebones closer to a regular sports RP, it won’t have the proper flair. There need to be constructor tables, drivers listed alongside color codes, detailed maps and other graphics. It’ll need a well made logo and an established identity.

People will need to feel as if they are establishing a team amongst a fleshed out IC universe.

If not, the series will be forgotten. For example, does anybody remember the one off rally tournament? I enjoyed it because it started off my most well known driver and NS character. RP was unique and fun. But the results were pretty bare bones. I think it still had some maps. But there just wasn’t a buzz. Most people stopped writing. So differentiate RP and race style. But be sure you can make it look as good as NSSCRA and the WGPC series.. Even the Hodori set.

Check out Hodori’s series to see one way to differentiate the gameplay itself. It has rules on who can move into what kind of car in addition to car and driver spec rules like those also seen in the WGPC. Again, thinking of Hodori’s series.. I would again caution against making it a domestic series. People won’t want to join if you forcefeed your national companies’ cars, engines or tires down the throat of the multiverse. Give everybody a chance to shine, don’t just make it a focus on your own cars. Also, just hearing the words “domestic series” will make people automatically associate that with not RPing. Not good. Hodori does have a great series that deserves more international participation though. It’s worth a look for all. I’d also say that I think that nation has the Japanese GT style pretty well done, so picking the IMSA style GT set to be unique might be better.

I think focusing on a series of GT classes will differentiate the RP plenty from the WGPC. Have people submit in at least two or even three classes, like GT2 and prototype or GT3 and GT1. Whichever classes you choose. That might be tricky to scorinate, but could be done. Multiple scorinations? Some with slower car stats? I think that type of thing will provide the differential those are looking for. It might be able to be done with one Scorinator. Check with NSSCRA on how. Maybe just lesser car stats for classes?
Last edited by Vangaziland on Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports