NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Against Abusive Families

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Losthaven
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Losthaven » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:34 am

Bears Armed wrote:There's the question of whether the extra rights given to children in this situation are outweighed by the requirement that all child abusers (not just ones involved in this situation) forfeit custodial rights to the extent that the proper category should be 'Moral Decency' instead, which I'm still inclined to think should be the case.... and whether the balance between those two factors justifies actually an overall strength of 'Strong', rather than 'Significant' instead.

I'm inclined to agree with Bears Armed that this ought to be a Moral Decency proposal, as framed. According to the rules if a proposal requires WA members to exert more "control over the personal aspects of the lives of their citizens" it's Moral Decency. Civil Rights proposals, on the other hand, are proposals which give citizens greater choice in how they live their lives.

This proposal's primary purpose and effect is to require member nations to exert more control over how parents live their lives - specifically in how they must regard the gender identity of their children - and it imposes substantial punishment on parents that don't fall into line. Conversely, it does nothing to provide anyone greater choice in how they live their lives, except perhaps by some inference that by restricting how parents are permitted to think and act would have some beneficial effects on others.
Last edited by Losthaven on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Once a great nation, a true superpower; now just watching the world go by

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:28 pm

Losthaven wrote:restricting how parents are permitted to think

OOC: Think? No. Act? Yes, because that's what all resolutions do. "You can believe what you want but not do what you want" applies to most legislation.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Losthaven
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Losthaven » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:41 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Losthaven wrote:restricting how parents are permitted to think

OOC: Think? No. Act? Yes, because that's what all resolutions do. "You can believe what you want but not do what you want" applies to most legislation.

1. As I've stated time and again, one can "deliberately reject" something purely by thinking it, much as I am presently deliberately rejecting the idea of having Lima beans with dinner tonight.

2. In any case, a resolution built around restricting what parents are allowed to do (if that's more agreeable terminology for you) and punishing them for doing otherwise is more in the vein of exercising "control over the personal aspects of the lives of their citizens" a la Moral Decency.

Put differently: The reasoning of the proposal is that prohibiting parents from doing a thing (deliberately rejecting gender identity) and taking away the children of parents who refuse to comply will avoid harm to the children (or, at least, will do less harm to the children then leaving them with their parents under those circumstances). Putting aside the dubiousness of that premise, it is a classic "think of the children" proposal to restrict what people can do in the name of moral decency.
Once a great nation, a true superpower; now just watching the world go by

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:44 pm

(OOC: Do you have a timescale on a preamble?)

“The ‘prohibits’ clause allows no concept of rehabilitation. If somebody acted in the way that you define as child abuse thirty years ago, but has since repented and now advocates for LGBTI+ rights, then there is no reason for continued punishment.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:36 am

OOC: My opinion as regards GAR#222 is as previously stated: ok. I agree that the category should be moral decency. BA also raises a fair point about the definition of child abuse which leads into Kenmoria's point just above this one. IMO this proposal would mean that anyone convicted of child abuse for any reason including those outside the scope of this proposal would have their children removed from their care forever with no hope of rehabilitation.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:39 am

Kenmoria wrote:“The ‘prohibits’ clause allows no concept of rehabilitation. If somebody acted in the way that you define as child abuse thirty years ago, but has since repented and now advocates for LGBTI+ rights, then there is no reason for continued punishment.”

"Does your nation hold this same view on "cured" pedophiles as well?"

OOC EDIT: I know I know, not the same thing, but Araraukar is a bit fanatic about providing children good homes/families/childhoods.
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:59 am

Araraukar wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“The ‘prohibits’ clause allows no concept of rehabilitation. If somebody acted in the way that you define as child abuse thirty years ago, but has since repented and now advocates for LGBTI+ rights, then there is no reason for continued punishment.”

OOC EDIT: I know I know, not the same thing, but Araraukar is a bit fanatic about providing children good homes/families/childhoods.

“If they have rehabilitated and are judged unlikely to offend again, then yes. Since pedophilia can’t really be cured, this is a condition that almost certainly can’t be met. However, if advances in medicine created a working treatment, then there is no need for continued punishment.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:26 am

Araraukar wrote:

"Depends whether they've actually committed a crime or not. And terminology is important so if merely being a paedophile is against the law in some member states, as opposed to actual action which harms children, we'd have to reassess our position on the current freedom of conscience proposal by the United Commonwealth of Imperium Anglorum."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:56 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Re: GAR#436. See section 3: "Prohibits member states from hindering the right of individuals to free expression, excepting the restrictions established in section 2, and restrictions required to fulfill the mandates of WA legislation, or restrictions permitted in future, unrepealed WA legislation". Effectively no restriction of expression in a proposal can ever contradict GAR#436.

Proposals aren't WA legislation.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:28 am

Aclion wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Re: GAR#436. See section 3: "Prohibits member states from hindering the right of individuals to free expression, excepting the restrictions established in section 2, and restrictions required to fulfill the mandates of WA legislation, or restrictions permitted in future, unrepealed WA legislation". Effectively no restriction of expression in a proposal can ever contradict GAR#436.

Proposals aren't WA legislation.

OOC: And? Effectively no proposal can be declared illegal or otherwise prevented from becoming WA legislation, on the grounds that it suppresses free expression. This is quite explicit. There is no #436 contradiction here.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:41 am

"Proposals are not resolutions" implies proposals are not international law. And then poof, we have the absurd conclusion that GA 2 blocks all laws in its national sovereignty clause. Discard absurd interpretations.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:55 pm

"While we vehemently support the general concept behind this, ambassador, we would need to see a more concrete idea of what is meant by 'rejection' before we could recommend submission. I eagerly await your next draft."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly