NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Repeal Freedom to Seek Medical Care II

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Concrete Slab
Envoy

Founded: Jan 25, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

[Draft] Repeal Freedom to Seek Medical Care II

Postby Concrete Slab » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:54 am

Noting the good intentions of GAR#456

Believing the goal of achieving medical tourism is one we should all strive to achieve.

Noting that, between the previously repealed legislation and the resolution in effect, there is only a singular difference that does little to change to overall faults of the legislation.

Seeing the only change made between the two pieces of General Assembly legislation consist of nations now being able to prohibit the passage of citizens from their country to those of conflict.

Worried that, still, the resolution allows citizens to enter dangerous or war-torn nations, as long as they are not in conflict with the member nation.

Disappointed that, once again, the resolution fails to account for GAR #97, Quality in Health Services, which requires member states to provide a certain level of health coverage to those who cannot afford it, by allowing member nations to place treatment costs on medical tourists.

Concerned the resolution makes no attempt to reduce the risk of widespread epidemics by threatening nations taking in medical tourists that may not be able to quarantine the influx of infected people.

Appalled at the resolution’s harming of individual jurisdiction, with Clause Four making it illegal for member nations to place penalties on tourists, even when certain treatment is illegal under the nation’s laws.

Shocked that, once again, the authoring nation would allow the coding error that appeared in their previous resolution to appear, showing a lack of care from the author and to the high standards of the General Assembly.

Believing the resolution still prioritizes nonresidents over those of domestic citizens.

Hereby repeals GAR#456
Last edited by Concrete Slab on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Concrete Slab
Author of GAR#471, GAR#479, SCR#271, SCR#370, SCR#426, and SCR#428
Co-author of SCR#300, SCR#422, SCR#432, SCR#486, and SCR#487
2023 Defender Newcomer, Mentor, and Quote of the Year
RMB Moderator of The South Pacific
Lieutenant of the South Pacific Special Forces
Join The South Pacific Special Forces Today!
CS isn't inherently doing anything wrong, Hulldom just has a deep preference for boring, which CS does not always find himself within the lines of

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:16 am

“You have ade some very convincing arguments in this repeal, and I daresay I will support it after the necessary drafting period has elapsed. I have no particular comments at this time.”

(OOC: However, you might need to change the ‘Shocked’ clause, as ‘author’ sounds as though you are referring to a player, rather than a nation. I suggest ‘authoring nation’ or ‘authoring delagation’ instead.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:51 am

"I agree with my learned friend. Cogent points have been made in this proposal, and I would be interested in seeing the repeal succeed. Hopefully the Concrete Slab ambassador is prepared to draft the replacement proposal.

"That said, I would like to suggest a few amendments, simply of style. I would recommend that the "Further noting that" clause addressing the difference between the repealed resolution and the one in force be merged with the next clause, which explains said difference, since they address a similar point. I would also recommend that the first and final lines, referencing GAR#436, be properly punctuated. Finally, I would recommend generally that clauses which do not directly address the flaws in GAR#436, such as "Noting this is the second version..." be removed or shortened, since it would be ideal for the repeal to focus entirely on the merits (or lack thereof) of the target resolution.

"These are the amendments that come to mind presently. I am sure my fellow ambassadors will make more suggestions to further refine this proposal."
Iciaros' Q&A: Ask whatever you want!

New Imperial Order of Iciaros
Sovereign | Heir | Chief Ambassador | Grand Admiral | Grand General
High Fantasy, Absolute Monarchy. PMT/FT on this scale. Current Year: 726 AA.
NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.
Does my nation reflect my beliefs? Well, it's complicated.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:57 am

Concrete Slab wrote:Believing the resolution still prioritizes nonresidents over those of domestic citizens.

"How the fuck do you get that out of the resolution in question?"
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:05 am

Edited
Concrete Slab
CS isn't inherently doing anything wrong, Hulldom just has a deep preference for boring, which CS does not always find himself within the lines of

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:29 am

OOC: First, GAR #436 is "Protecting Free Expression."

Second, this entire repeal looks like you copied and pasted a prior repeal and changed just enough verbiage to avoid a plagiarism charge. This is particularly obvious in your GAR #97 clause:

Disappointed that, once again, the resolution fails to account for GAR #97, Quality in Health Services, which requires member states to provide a certain level of health coverage to those who cannot afford it, by allowing member nations to place treatment costs on medical tourists.

GAR #415 wrote:Dismayed that the resolution, which allows member states to pass the cost of treatment onto medical tourists under Clause 5, fails to account for GAR#97, Quality in Health Services, which requires member states provide a certain level of health coverage for those who cannot afford it, free of cost;

You're going to have to either get permission to use this language from the author of the original, or drastically retool your sentence structure.

Third, I still think the piece about epidemics and quarantines is an Honest Mistake, but I got overrode last time, so I suppose it's legit. >:(
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:34 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: First, GAR #436 is "Protecting Free Expression."

Second, this entire repeal looks like you copied and pasted a prior repeal and changed just enough verbiage to avoid a plagiarism charge. This is particularly obvious in your GAR #97 clause:

GAR #415 wrote:Dismayed that the resolution, which allows member states to pass the cost of treatment onto medical tourists under Clause 5, fails to account for GAR#97, Quality in Health Services, which requires member states provide a certain level of health coverage for those who cannot afford it, free of cost;

You're going to have to either get permission to use this language from the author of the original, or drastically retool your sentence structure.

Third, I still think the piece about epidemics and quarantines is an Honest Mistake, but I got overrode last time, so I suppose it's legit. >:(

I did get permission to use the previous repeal's arguments. The author only changed one part before resubmitting, so the arguments still work
Concrete Slab

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:29 pm

Concrete Slab wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: First, GAR #436 is "Protecting Free Expression."

I did get permission to use the previous repeal's arguments. The author only changed one part before resubmitting, so the arguments still work

OOC: You're welcome to use my arguments, but not my words. I'm not sure I have any authority over the arguments to begin with, but I make my bread from my writing, and I'm justifiably protective of what I write.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Concrete Slab wrote:

OOC: You're welcome to use my arguments, but not my words. I'm not sure I have any authority over the arguments to begin with, but I make my bread from my writing, and I'm justifiably protective of what I write.

So, what are you saying I need to change?
Concrete Slab

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 pm

I believe Sep is saying that you need to convert those arguments into your own words. Explain the problems in the way you understand them, not the way Sep does. Basically how do you interpret Seps arguements.
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Arasi Luvasa wrote:I believe Sep is saying that you need to convert those arguments into your own words. Explain the problems in the way you understand them, not the way Sep does. Basically how do you interpret Seps arguements.

Bingo.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Arasi Luvasa wrote:I believe Sep is saying that you need to convert those arguments into your own words. Explain the problems in the way you understand them, not the way Sep does. Basically how do you interpret Seps arguements.

Bingo.

Hmmmm... Time to get to work!!
Concrete Slab

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly