NATION

PASSWORD

Remembering December 7th, 1941

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:07 pm

The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:
Atheris wrote:maybe because the rape of nanking was overshadowed by the murder of over 10 million innocent people

Opposed to invading it, getting almost entire population killed, and taking heavy losses?

Okay, let's compare.

In Nanking, 200,000 to 300,000 people were killed.

In the Holocaust, 11-17 million people were killed, including over a million children.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Cetacea wrote:
Andsed wrote:hahah no. Now let´s say they somehow wiped out most of the US Pacific Fleet. Then what? If you think they could have invaded the US you living in la la land. The US would have easily been able to outproduce Japan and rebuild it's fleet and counterattack.

Japan didn’t need to beat USA it just needed time to consolidate its hold in Asia and become the regional power without interference - it was about the long game of entrenching themselves first. Of course it miscalculated on those objectives and the US response didn’t give them the foothold that wanted

It could never get enough time. Japan’s only hope was the US having no will to fight, which was obviously not the case. The entire premise that one attack could knock the US was stupid.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Novus America wrote:
Cetacea wrote:
Japan didn’t need to beat USA it just needed time to consolidate its hold in Asia and become the regional power without interference - it was about the long game of entrenching themselves first. Of course it miscalculated on those objectives and the US response didn’t give them the foothold that wanted

It could never get enough time. Japan’s only hope was the US having no will to fight, which was obviously not the case. The entire premise that one attack could knock the US was stupid.

That's stupid, of course, but the decision of the attack being Pearl Harbor was pretty smart.

It was the closest naval base to Japan and the closest naval base with the most amount of ships stationed (100 exactly).
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Atheris wrote:
The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:Opposed to invading it, getting almost entire population killed, and taking heavy losses?

Okay, let's compare.

In the Holocaust, 11-17 million people were killed, including over a million children.

That is a silly comparison. The Nanking Massacre was just one slice of Japanese horror.
It is estimated 17 to 22 million Chinese citizens died in the war.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Atheris wrote:
Novus America wrote:

That's stupid, of course, but the decision of the attack being Pearl Harbor was pretty smart.

It was the closest naval base to Japan and the closest naval base with the most amount of ships stationed (100 exactly).

Well it was only “smart” from a short term, tactical perspective. From a bigger strategic perspective it was suicide to attack the US at all.

Japan’s objective was not to merely sink a bunch of ships. It was to end the war quickly.
It could never achieve that objective.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Novus America wrote:
Atheris wrote:Okay, let's compare.

That is a silly comparison. The Nanking Massacre was just one slice of Japanese horror.

Compared to 60 to 70 million killed during WW2?

The allies (not including China) had around 59,000,000 to 61,000,000 people dead.

If you take the difference from the min and max and subtract around 9 to 11 million from Italy, that leaves...

33 to 37 million killed by Germany alone, not including the Holocaust.

Add the Holocaust and you have 44 to 64 people killed.

By Germany alone.
#FreeNSGRojava

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Atheris wrote:
Novus America wrote:

The allies (not including China) had around 59,000,000 to 61,000,000 people dead.

If you take the difference from the min and max and subtract around 9 to 11 million from Italy, that leaves...

By Germany alone.

Not only Chinese civilians died. But sure the Germans may have killed more, but what is the point? Germans killing more does not in anyway mitigate or forgive Japanese crimes.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Mohacian
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 09, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mohacian » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:23 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Mohacian wrote:Well Pearl Harbor failed the battle BUTT.... theres more, the U.S declared a re-match battle against the Japanese military and the American military BOMBED Hiroshima and Nagasaki. :!: :shock:

Well theres a lot more that happened but yeah sure

True

The Untied Federation of Russia
Diplomat

Founded: May 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Untied Federation of Russia » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:25 pm

Also one thing to note I forgot to mention in the OP is that Japan never learns from the past.

For example in world war 1 Germany attacked American ships it dragged the US into the war (Even though the US had less of a impact in the war since they joined in late)

And then skip ahead to World War 2 and we see Japan making the same mistakes Germany made in the first world war.
Please ignore the Untied in my name it was a typo so please do not mock me about this.

I do not use NS STATS

Puppet nation belonging to Aeritai.

Earth Luna and Mars
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Earth Luna and Mars » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:31 pm

The Untied Federation of Russia wrote:Also one thing to note I forgot to mention in the OP is that Japan never learns from the past.

For example in world war 1 Germany attacked American ships it dragged the US into the war (Even though the US had less of a impact in the war since they joined in late)

And then skip ahead to World War 2 and we see Japan making the same mistakes Germany made in the first world war.

To be honest the entire Axis was a joke... Germany might've done better if it worked alone and not piss Russia off but, that's another story for another time.

Japan doomed the alliance even more since they attacked Pearl Harbor and got America into the war.
Sol Republic News: Plans are being made to set up a colony on Venus scientist say "Even though we can't set up a ground settlement we can build a space station in its atmosphere and create a barrier around the station to protect it from harsh weather conditions." | The first A.I. is created its name is "Unity" | Ever since building the "Solar Energy Station" citizens on Earth are replacing fossil fuels for Solar Powered Cells to sustain energy

The Galactic Liberal Democracy
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Galactic Liberal Democracy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:04 pm

Atheris wrote:
The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:Opposed to invading it, getting almost entire population killed, and taking heavy losses?

Okay, let's compare.

The fire bombs and atom bombs were the reason they surrendered. If we hadn’t used them, Japan would have needed to be taken by a ground assault. I’m assuming you don’t care to much about the lives of the U.S. soldiers, so I’ll give you more information than that. First, Stalin was willing to give millions of troops to help. They would likely be men and women, young and mostly conscripts. Second, there would be the death of nearly every Japanese soldier, not all of which wanted to fight in the first place. Lastly, every last citizen had been ordered to die. They planned to attach mines to children and force families that were hopelessly outnumbered to fight. With the current mentality, almost all the population would die.
NOT STORMTROOPERS
Cossack Khanate wrote:This shall forever be known as World War Sh*t: Newark Aggression. Now if I see one more troop deployed, I will call on the force of all the Hindu gods to reverse time and wipe your race of the face of the planet. Cease.

The Black Party wrote:(TBP kamikaze's into all 99999999999 nukes before they hit our territory because we just have that many pilots ready to die for dah blak regime, we also counter-attack into your nation with our entire population of 45 million because this RP allows it.)

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Galatic Liberal Democracy short-circuits all of NS with FACTS and LOGIC

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:06 pm

Earth Luna and Mars wrote:
The Untied Federation of Russia wrote:Also one thing to note I forgot to mention in the OP is that Japan never learns from the past.

To be honest the entire Axis was a joke... Germany might've done better if it worked alone and not piss Russia off but, that's another story for another time.

Japan doomed the alliance even more since they attacked Pearl Harbor and got America into the war.

Japan only got into the tripartite agreement to get fuel denied to it by the us but I don’t think Japan cared too much about the other axis members. As long as Germany kept Britain occupied japan for had free reign in SE Asia except for US interference

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:11 pm

Cetacea wrote:
Andsed wrote:hahah no. Now let´s say they somehow wiped out most of the US Pacific Fleet. Then what? If you think they could have invaded the US you living in la la land. The US would have easily been able to outproduce Japan and rebuild it's fleet and counterattack.

It didn't help itself by getting punch drunk and expanding far, far beyond what the IJN said it could actually defend.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Mohacian
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 09, 2018

Postby Mohacian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:30 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Cetacea wrote:

It didn't help itself by getting punch drunk and expanding far, far beyond what the IJN said it could actually defend.

Very true

Monsa
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsa » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:26 am

Any today is the 77th Anniversey of the Attack on Pearl Harbor.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:50 am

Atheris wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Obviously not.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:41 am

The Untied Federation of Russia wrote: Do you think Japan was sucessful in knocking out the U.S. Pacific fleet or did they fail in doing so by dragging America into World War 2?

The answer to this question isn't a matter of opinion, we know how Pearl Harbor ended up for Japan.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:45 am

Page wrote:
The Untied Federation of Russia wrote: Do you think Japan was sucessful in knocking out the U.S. Pacific fleet or did they fail in doing so by dragging America into World War 2?

The answer to this question isn't a matter of opinion, we know how Pearl Harbor ended up for Japan.

They didn't weaken the Giant, they just kicked it in the balls and made it really... really mad.
All shall tremble before me

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:19 am

Katganistan wrote:My students are getting their report cards on December 7th.

Tora, Tora, Tora!
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Page
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:07 am

Atheris wrote:
Novus America wrote:

By Germany alone.

I don't think atrocities can be measured by death toll alone. Who is worse, a dictator who orders a bombing that kills 100 civilians, or a serial killer who personally rapes, tortures, and kills 10 people?

There are several good reasons to say that the actions of Nazi Germany in World War 2 were more heinous than that of other countries, but there is no objective way to rank crimes against humanity.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

Earth Luna and Mars
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Earth Luna and Mars » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:08 am

Welp the Day Of Infamy is here! May we never forget the events that took place at Pearl Harbor.

((Which is ironic to say since every American citizen forgets Pearl Harbor))
Sol Republic News: Plans are being made to set up a colony on Venus scientist say "Even though we can't set up a ground settlement we can build a space station in its atmosphere and create a barrier around the station to protect it from harsh weather conditions." | The first A.I. is created its name is "Unity" | Ever since building the "Solar Energy Station" citizens on Earth are replacing fossil fuels for Solar Powered Cells to sustain energy

Steampunk World War 1
Secretary

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Steampunk World War 1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:14 am

Earth Luna and Mars wrote:Welp the Day Of Infamy is here! May we never forget the events that took place at Pearl Harbor.

We will never forget Pearl Harbor as long as historians keep talking about it in history. Some Americans will forget it but as long we learn from the mistakes in our past we will pave a way to prevent more disasters like Pearl Harbor and 9/11

Page
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 am

Earth Luna and Mars wrote:Welp the Day Of Infamy is here! May we never forget the events that took place at Pearl Harbor.

Time is a powerful force. If I were to do a comedy bit about 9/11, a lot of people would be offended, but if I were to joke about the Black Plague in Medieval Europe, no one is crying out "Millions of people died, you can't joke about that!" because it's been hundreds of years. Centuries later, events like 9/11 and the Holocaust will still be a part of history, but with no emotions attached, just like now there are no emotions attached to the Black Plague or the Mongols' burning and raping cities or Caesar's murder and enslavement of millions of Gauls.

We're soon approaching a time in which no living person remembers Pearl Harbor, it will be even more forgotten then than it is now. I don't see this as a bad thing or a good thing, that's just the way it is.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2017

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:20 am

Teachian wrote:It was a pretty shocking and ballsy move. Though if I remember correctly, didn’t they fail to deal any real damage to the station’s infrastructure (at least when it came to fuel) and missed all the U.S. aircraft carriers (who were out on a training exercise)?

Not to say that it wasn’t a good move, or that we don’t have the benefit of hindsight, but the surprise attack mostly ended up angering America more than crippling it. Though, in all fairness, I highly doubt there was any scenario Japan wouldn’t have hard to wear the U.S. down before they gave up, which means it was a lost cause from the beginning.

Simple answer, yes.
The Republic of Libertas Omnium Maximus
(Representative Democracy; Established 1837)
The Litudinem Herald|NationStates Resume|Libertas Omnium Maximus Wiki

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General