NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Debtor Voting Rights

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:58 am

Falcania wrote:...in all the kerfuffle, GenSec dropped the ball slightly. I guess ultimately it was contingent on those of us who suspected it might be illegal to put in a Legality Challenge before this hit the floor. It's given me a lot to think about in that regard.

What ball? BA's opinion notwithstanding, I believe such a challenge would have failed. Separatist Peoples, Sciongrad, and Bananaistan are all regulars on that same Discord server which IA shared the screenshot from; while I can't say for certain that any of them positively read that particular exchange, it is certain that none of us thought the proposal had any chance of being illegal before this recent (incorrect, IMO) argument. There was no ball to drop.

If you mean that I should have posted in this forum that the resolution doesn't contradict #419, then I sort of apologize. Sort of, because nobody had brought it up in this forum that I noticed, and I'd already commented twice on the lack of enforcement provisions not being a valid argument for a repeal. But to the extent that I do apologize at all, it's because it's possible that I should have realized that shooting an idea dead on Discord doesn't kill it everywhere else.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:28 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Falcania wrote:...in all the kerfuffle, GenSec dropped the ball slightly. I guess ultimately it was contingent on those of us who suspected it might be illegal to put in a Legality Challenge before this hit the floor. It's given me a lot to think about in that regard.

What ball? BA's opinion notwithstanding, I believe such a challenge would have failed. Separatist Peoples, Sciongrad, and Bananaistan are all regulars on that same Discord server which IA shared the screenshot from; while I can't say for certain that any of them positively read that particular exchange, it is certain that none of us thought the proposal had any chance of being illegal before this recent (incorrect, IMO) argument. There was no ball to drop.

If you mean that I should have posted in this forum that the resolution doesn't contradict #419, then I sort of apologize. Sort of, because nobody had brought it up in this forum that I noticed, and I'd already commented twice on the lack of enforcement provisions not being a valid argument for a repeal. But to the extent that I do apologize at all, it's because it's possible that I should have realized that shooting an idea dead on Discord doesn't kill it everywhere else.

What he said. This wasn't illegal. While one-liners are rarely legal in our experience, that does not mean they cannot be legal. And SL said it better than I could re: GAR#419.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Battlion
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Battlion » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:09 pm

If 419 says member states are at liberty to legislate on the franchise, and the new resolution then prevents them from doing so in a certain aspect... surely that contradicts existing law? Don’t see how that conclusion isn’t reached

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:18 pm

419 talks about being able to legislate on the franchise of inmates.

Edit: That resolution's relevant clause in full:

Reserves for member nations the liberty to legislate on the issue of enfranchisement for individuals under incarceration.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:17 am

OOC: FWIW I agree with SL, Sep, IA, and Wally here. IA's sets and subsets do not mean totally different things to Auralia's!
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:21 pm

Ardortia wrote:So I've read the FAQs, the repeal drafts. People complaining about interpretive maladies doesn't make any sense: the text is self-evident. People complaining about enforcement mechanisms are morons, because no other WA resolution has one (except GAR#2, briefly, and the compliance mechanisms that IA himself created).

EDIT: I see these histrionics about loopholes. But nobody can tell me where they in fact are. Instead, they just scream loopholes like a broken record.

You can make your point without calling people names. This is an Ominous Loom (patent pending) and not a red-text warning only because you have a clean record.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Previous

Return to WA Archives