NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Conscience Rights in Healthcare

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Conscience Rights in Healthcare

Postby Auralia » Wed May 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Conscience Rights in Healthcare
Category: Human Rights | Strength: Significant

Recognizing that certain healthcare practitioners and facilities object to some forms of health care that they sincerely believe to be unethical, harmful, or otherwise contrary to good medical practice,

Believing that it benefits nobody to drive skilled doctors and nurses from the medical profession by coercing them to act contrary to their well-formed medical judgement,

Seeking to provide adequate protection for the conscience rights of healthcare practitioners and facilities in member states,

The General Assembly,

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, the following terms:
    1. "health care practitioner" as any individual who is employed or contracted to provide or assist in the provision of health care, such a physician, nurse, or pharmacist, and
    2. "health care facility" as any business, non-profit institution, or other organization established for the purpose of providing health care, such as a hospital or pharmacy;
  2. Prohibits member states from:
    1. requiring any health care practitioner, or private health care facility, to provide or assist in the provision of specific forms of health care in cases where:
      1. the practitioner or facility would otherwise have a duty to provide or assist in the provision of such care pursuant to government regulation, an employment agreement, or a contract, and
      2. the practitioner or facility sincerely objects to the provision of such care as unethical, harmful, or otherwise contrary to good medical practice,
    2. punishing or otherwise discriminating against a practitioner or facility for refusing to provide or assist in the provision of such care in such circumstances;
  3. Exempts from the protections of this resolution health care practitioners and facilities who:
    1. fail to provide reasonable notice of their objections to appropriate parties, as required by law, in advance of refusing to carry out their duties,
    2. object to providing emergency care in cases where death is both probable and imminent if it is not provided, or
    3. object to performing the majority of the duties for which they are employed or contracted;
  4. Reminds member states that the provisions of this resolution are without prejudice to any duty to provide or make available certain forms of health care under World Assembly law, but that member states may not contravene the provisions of this resolution in order to fulfill such duty.
Last edited by Auralia on Fri May 25, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Alsace and Lorraine United
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Wed May 23, 2018 6:39 pm

You have the support of Alsace and Lorraine United! A very well written draft ambassador. Your time here has served you well!

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Wed May 23, 2018 6:54 pm

ii. the practitioner or facility sincerely objects to the provision of such care as unethical, harmful, or otherwise contrary to good medical practice,

What if a health care worker is opposed to providing treatment on questionable grounds (ie. support for eugenics), or views the provision of health care to, for instance, racial minorities to be harmful (to the society as a whole)? Would such objections fall outside the domain of "good medical practice" (I presume, but must check)--is "good medical practice" a broad enough term?

Reminds member states that the provisions of this resolution are without prejudice to any duty to provide or make available certain forms of health care under World Assembly law, but that member states may not contravene the provisions of this resolution in order to fulfill such duty.

Note taken. Note appreciated.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed May 23, 2018 11:28 pm

"This is a proposal we can support,"
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu May 24, 2018 8:18 am

"I would limit this to medical practitioners, and not entire facilities. Organizations do not have a conscience, and this requirement should extend only as far as those entities with consciences. Further, there are policy issues that abound with extending it to organizations. The only hospital in a rural area should not be able to deny patients treatment when there are doctors on staff willing to offer that treatment. Otherwise, I find this quite reasonable. It strikes a very fair balance between personal objections and patient needs."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu May 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"I would limit this to medical practitioners, and not entire facilities. Organizations do not have a conscience, and this requirement should extend only as far as those entities with consciences. Further, there are policy issues that abound with extending it to organizations. The only hospital in a rural area should not be able to deny patients treatment when there are doctors on staff willing to offer that treatment. Otherwise, I find this quite reasonable. It strikes a very fair balance between personal objections and patient needs."

"I dissent. Catholic medical institutions should not be compelled to provide abortion services."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu May 24, 2018 2:29 pm

Regarding the above from UM. No. And I think I’ve the votes to enforce it.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu May 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Regarding the above from UM. No. And I think I’ve the votes to enforce it.

"How tolerant of you. Please be assured that you will be placed in our weekly prayer bulletin, and that our prayer shawl group will sew a special patch for the spiritual conversion of Imperium Anglorum."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu May 24, 2018 2:41 pm

Elsie Mortimer Wellesley: To what were you responding? However that is, our government may be replaced in the next few months. There’s clamouring in the Parliament for elections. And the premier is unclear on whether we will be returned.

You’ll be happy that the polls show a fundamentalist party winning, advocating the elimination of all religious forms other than Anglicanism, some drivel about being a threat to the polity and the state. Absolute rubbish.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu May 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Elsie Mortimer Wellesley: To what were you responding? However that is, our government may be replaced in the next few months. There’s clamouring in the Parliament for elections. And the premier is unclear on whether we will be returned.

You’ll be happy that the polls show a fundamentalist party winning, advocating the elimination of all religious forms other than Anglicanism, some drivel about being a threat to the polity and the state. Absolute rubbish.

"Rebels," grumbles the Cardinal. "Divorce-hungry nationalist rebels."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu May 24, 2018 5:15 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"I would limit this to medical practitioners, and not entire facilities. Organizations do not have a conscience, and this requirement should extend only as far as those entities with consciences. Further, there are policy issues that abound with extending it to organizations. The only hospital in a rural area should not be able to deny patients treatment when there are doctors on staff willing to offer that treatment. Otherwise, I find this quite reasonable. It strikes a very fair balance between personal objections and patient needs."

"I dissent. Catholic medical institutions should not be compelled to provide abortion services."

"Glad to see you're willing to deny people lawful medical care under WA law, despite having doctors and staff willing to provide it. I'm sure that the busilding's conscience will be much assuaged." Bell rolls his eyes. "Bloody cultists."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Thu May 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:"I dissent. Catholic medical institutions should not be compelled to provide abortion services."

"Glad to see you're willing to deny people lawful medical care under WA law, despite having doctors and staff willing to provide it. I'm sure that the busilding's conscience will be much assuaged." Bell rolls his eyes. "Bloody cultists."

One could sidestep this entirely if we recognized that Catholic Institutions ought not be required to hire so-called doctors who are willing to perform on-demand abortion in the first place. Of course, I suspect Mssrs. Bell and Wellesley find that objectionable as well. Tolerance is not known to be amongst their virtues, after all.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri May 25, 2018 1:31 am

We support this proposal but would like to see another exemption added:

Exempts from the protections of this resolution health care practitioners and facilities who:

• object to providing emergency medical treatment in cases where, due to some physical injury or disease, death is both probable and imminent if treatment is not provided.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri May 25, 2018 3:38 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Glad to see you're willing to deny people lawful medical care under WA law, despite having doctors and staff willing to provide it. I'm sure that the busilding's conscience will be much assuaged." Bell rolls his eyes. "Bloody cultists."

One could sidestep this entirely if we recognized that Catholic Institutions ought not be required to hire so-called doctors who are willing to perform on-demand abortion in the first place. Of course, I suspect Mssrs. Bell and Wellesley find that objectionable as well. Tolerance is not known to be amongst their virtues, after all.

"Tolerance of a bad thing is not beneficial. I've yet to see evidence that religion is anything but bad.

"Such a hiring practice would likely violate CoCR as it is applied. Such moral objections tend to fall along protected classifications."

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Fri May 25, 2018 6:58 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:

"Tolerance of a bad thing is not beneficial. I've yet to see evidence that religion is anything but bad.

"Such a hiring practice would likely violate CoCR as it is applied. Such moral objections tend to fall along protected classifications."

We would consider a religious body hiring only members of its religion for ministerial positions (and we believe the Roman Catholic cult considers the medical staff of its hospitals to be ministerial positions bound by the ethical guidelines of the relevant Bishops' Conference) as being a compelling practical purpose. Certainly we would expect the Priests of Hera to hire only women who are followers of the Cultus Romanorum to administer its rights.
Last edited by Desmosthenes and Burke on Fri May 25, 2018 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri May 25, 2018 7:10 am

I have removed clause 3(c) as I believe it is redundant in light of 2(a)(ii).

United Massachusetts wrote:What if a health care worker is opposed to providing treatment on questionable grounds (ie. support for eugenics), or views the provision of health care to, for instance, racial minorities to be harmful (to the society as a whole)? Would such objections fall outside the domain of "good medical practice" (I presume, but must check)--is "good medical practice" a broad enough term?

If a health care professional sincerely believes that health care is unethical, harmful, or otherwise contrary to good medical practice, they are protected by this resolution in refusing to provide such care.

Separatist Peoples wrote:"I would limit this to medical practitioners, and not entire facilities. Organizations do not have a conscience, and this requirement should extend only as far as those entities with consciences.

Organizations are owned and operated by individuals with consciences, and their consciences continue to bind them in such contexts.

Separatist Peoples wrote:Further, there are policy issues that abound with extending it to organizations. The only hospital in a rural area should not be able to deny patients treatment when there are doctors on staff willing to offer that treatment.

The same argument can be made with respect to individuals: what if there is only one doctor in a rural area? The solution is the same in both cases: hire more doctors and establish more facilities willing to provide such care. I suppose the state could also expropriate facilities where necessary.

Christian Democrats wrote:We support this proposal but would like to see another exemption added:

Exempts from the protections of this resolution health care practitioners and facilities who:

• object to providing emergency medical treatment in cases where, due to some physical injury or disease, death is both probable and imminent if treatment is not provided.

Done.

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Such a hiring practice would likely violate CoCR as it is applied. Such moral objections tend to fall along protected classifications."

If a hospital would be compelled to provide access to abortion by hiring individuals who are willing to perform abortions, that seems like a compelling practical purpose to refuse to employ such individuals.

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri May 25, 2018 11:27 am

"The Christian Democratic delegation addressed the biggest flaw in this draft, and we applaud the change. However, I have to concur with Ambassador Bell that permitting an organization which is a public accommodation (such as a hospital) to deny its practitioners the right to perform procedures to which the institution somehow objects is unacceptable. It is within neither the spirit nor the letter of GAR 35 to allow a medical institution the ability to base hiring decisions on individual beliefs about the propriety of treatment of consenting adult patients. Decisions regarding treatment are the exclusive province of a patient and his doctor, and institutional objections do not enter the picture outside of criminal or civil liability concerns."

Leo takes a sip.of water after this lengthy statement.

"In short we deny the power of institutions, whether seen as faceless monoliths or as the collective choices of individuals, to dictate their employees' beliefs and actions to that extent."

OOC: I don't see how enabling a nominally (e.g.) Catholic hospital, treating the general population, to dictate that every practitioner it employs must believe every last tenet of the catechism, constitutes a compelling practical purpose. Certainly I would have found it unbelievably unpleasant to have been denied entry to see my then-girlfriend who was passing a kidney stone at 3 a.m. simply because we were still several years away from marriage. There may be purpose there, it may even be compelling in some lights, but practical it ain't.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri May 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: I don't see how enabling a nominally (e.g.) Catholic hospital, treating the general population, to dictate that every practitioner it employs must believe every last tenet of the catechism, constitutes a compelling practical purpose. Certainly I would have found it unbelievably unpleasant to have been denied entry to see my then-girlfriend who was passing a kidney stone at 3 a.m. simply because we were still several years away from marriage. There may be purpose there, it may even be compelling in some lights, but practical it ain't.

OOC: The Catholic Church doesn't prohibit dating, and visiting a patient isn't a medical procedure. :eyebrow:
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri May 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Auralia wrote:Organizations are owned and operated by individuals with consciences, and their consciences continue to bind them in such contexts.

"And those individuals need not perform abortions."

The same argument can be made with respect to individuals: what if there is only one doctor in a rural area? The solution is the same in both cases: hire more doctors and establish more facilities willing to provide such care. I suppose the state could also expropriate facilities where necessary.

"Individual practitioners are more numerous than facilities. It's less likely that there is only one doctor in a region than only one hospital. As a matter of policy, making the distinction is reasonable. That is, regrettably, a deal-breaker for my delegation."
If a hospital would be compelled to provide access to abortion by hiring individuals who are willing to perform abortions, that seems like a compelling practical purpose to refuse to employ such individuals.

"I struggle to see a compelling practical purpose in circumventing a law that permits abortion when abortion is more or less carte blanche legal per WA law."

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri May 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:OOC: The Catholic Church doesn't prohibit dating, and visiting a patient isn't a medical procedure. :eyebrow:

OOC: I stand corrected then (though I think the classical term is "living in sin"). I worried a bit at the time, it being the middle of the night and me not knowing what the hell was happening.

Anyway, personal anecdote aside, the principle stands.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

The Unfounded
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2004

Postby The Unfounded » Wed May 30, 2018 6:28 pm

"We tentatively support this resolution, however we would suggest an addendum the spirit of which is thus: Alternative Practitioners must be available and equally accessible to those that pose conscientious objection to such controversial procedures."

"Or would that already be accounted for in previous legislation? The overlap rules are sometimes blurry on the issue."
Godulan Puppet 1
The Servants of the True Way of the Will: A multi-galactic anti-technology crusade that plies the stars in vessels shaped with the power of their own minds. To give up your material devices and trinkets is to learn how to access the true power that all can wield.

A 1.09 civilization, according to this Nation Index Thingie
All NS stats are non-canon with this nation.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:53 am

Agreeing with The Unfounded above. If you’re going to allow them to not perform treatment based on subjective ethics, then mandating for the addition of specialists who can do the job should be done as well. However, the institution/individual debate is a good point: what if the only institution in the area refuses to hire someone because they have no problem completing certain procedures? Do we force them to hire? So many states have Affirmative Action laws put into place, but this opens up a new can of worms; ideological rulings.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:11 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:"In short we deny the power of institutions, whether seen as faceless monoliths or as the collective choices of individuals, to dictate their employees' beliefs and actions to that extent."

"You are correct in the former conclusion, Ambassador, but not in the latter. A private medical institution has every right to determine what care it is to provide or condone in its premises. If it makes known to prospective employees well in advance what services in will not provide, then the employee has fundamentally consented to such terms by signing up to work in that institution. A private institution cannot discriminate in hiring practices by belief, but the employees have the right to choose for which institution to work. Freedom of Contract is the fundamental right at play here--denying the right of private organisations to choose which services to provide is an egregious violation of said freedom."

The Unfounded wrote:"We tentatively support this resolution, however we would suggest an addendum the spirit of which is thus: Alternative Practitioners must be available and equally accessible to those that pose conscientious objection to such controversial procedures."

"Or would that already be accounted for in previous legislation? The overlap rules are sometimes blurry on the issue."

"Does equally accessible refer to cost access? Who would provide said access? Based on what you said, it sounds like the burden would fall on the private institution to make the practitioner equally accessible (ie. travel costs). It sounds like your text would make Catholic hospitals pay to transport people to abortion clinics when they are further away. In a rural region, where said Catholic hospital is perhaps the only medical institution nearby, these transport costs are very real."
Last edited by United Massachusetts on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Unfounded
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2004

Postby The Unfounded » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:24 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:"In short we deny the power of institutions, whether seen as faceless monoliths or as the collective choices of individuals, to dictate their employees' beliefs and actions to that extent."

"You are correct in the former conclusion, Ambassador, but not in the latter. A private medical institution has every right to determine what care it is to provide or condone in its premises. If it makes known to prospective employees well in advance what services in will not provide, then the employee has fundamentally consented to such terms by signing up to work in that institution. A private institution cannot discriminate in hiring practices by belief, but the employees have the right to choose for which institution to work. Freedom of Contract is the fundamental right at play here--denying the right of private organisations to choose which services to provide is an egregious violation of said freedom."

The Unfounded wrote:"We tentatively support this resolution, however we would suggest an addendum the spirit of which is thus: Alternative Practitioners must be available and equally accessible to those that pose conscientious objection to such controversial procedures."

"Does equally accessible refer to cost access? Who would provide said access? Based on what you said, it sounds like the burden would fall on the private institution to make the practitioner equally accessible (ie. travel costs). It sounds like your text would make Catholic hospitals pay to transport people to abortion clinics when they are further away. In a rural region, where said Catholic hospital is perhaps the only medical institution nearby, these transport costs are very real."

“If this is a very real issue to you, and to the writer of this legislation, then we formally withdraw our support for this legislation and would pose a legality challenge in that it violates the section of GAR 286 that prohibits implementation of impediments to accessibility for such procedures. Your doctors are fully welcome to their conscientious objections, but if there is not an equally accessible alternative available, then professional obligation outweighs personal.”
Godulan Puppet 1
The Servants of the True Way of the Will: A multi-galactic anti-technology crusade that plies the stars in vessels shaped with the power of their own minds. To give up your material devices and trinkets is to learn how to access the true power that all can wield.

A 1.09 civilization, according to this Nation Index Thingie
All NS stats are non-canon with this nation.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:13 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:It is within neither the spirit nor the letter of GAR 35 to allow a medical institution the ability to base hiring decisions on individual beliefs about the propriety of treatment of consenting adult patients.

This has nothing to do with individual beliefs of practitioners, but whether they are permitted to force the hospital to permit the use of hospital resources in order to act upon those beliefs.

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Decisions regarding treatment are the exclusive province of a patient and his doctor, and institutional objections do not enter the picture outside of criminal or civil liability concerns."

I completely disagree. Institutions are established for certain purposes, and employees of an institution can reasonably be expected to act in a manner consistent with those purposes. This is no less true for hospitals and other medical institutions. Your proposed approach would bar most religious organizations from owning or operating hospitals.

If a physician wants to provide access to abortions, he has that right under World Assembly law. But the physician has no right to force a Catholic hospital to allow the physician to perform abortions on the premises of the hospital or to use hospital resources in doing so.

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:I don't see how enabling a nominally (e.g.) Catholic hospital, treating the general population, to dictate that every practitioner it employs must believe every last tenet of the catechism, constitutes a compelling practical purpose.

((OOC: As I said, there is a distinction between requiring medical practitioners to be Catholics and requiring them to refrain from using hospital resources to engage in acts which the hospital deems contrary to the moral law. The former is not reasonable, but the latter certainly is.))

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Certainly I would have found it unbelievably unpleasant to have been denied entry to see my then-girlfriend who was passing a kidney stone at 3 a.m. simply because we were still several years away from marriage. There may be purpose there, it may even be compelling in some lights, but practical it ain't.

((OOC: What do visitation rights have to do with permitting abortions, sterilizations, or other such procedures in Catholic hospitals?))

Separatist Peoples wrote:"And those individuals need not perform abortions."

They shouldn't be compelled to provide the space or medical equipment used to perform them, either.

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Individual practitioners are more numerous than facilities. It's less likely that there is only one doctor in a region than only one hospital. As a matter of policy, making the distinction is reasonable. That is, regrettably, a deal-breaker for my delegation."

If the state wishes to ensure access to abortions in a particular region, they can do so by establishing their own clinic.

Separatist Peoples wrote:"I struggle to see a compelling practical purpose in circumventing a law that permits abortion when abortion is more or less carte blanche legal per WA law."

I struggle to see how not forcing individuals or institutions to participate in abortion is "circumventing" the legality of abortion. Just because abortion is legal does not mean there is a personal obligation to perform it or otherwise participate in it.

The final clause of this proposal makes clear that this proposal does not affect any World Assembly mandate that a particular medical procedure be made available. The implication is that member states must take appropriate steps to find practitioners who do not object to the performance of such procedures and establish public institutions where such procedures can be performed.

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly-
Last edited by Auralia on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly