NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Restrictions On The Editing Of Genes

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Free Masonic States
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] Restrictions On The Editing Of Genes

Postby Free Masonic States » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Restrictions On The Editing Of Genes

Category: Bioethics
Area of Effect: Health
Proposed by: Free Masonic States

This Assembly,

GENE EDITING: Defined as the intentional modification of an organisms DNA.

REALIZING that editing the genes of an organism for the specific purpose of causing harm is not ethical.

Gene Editing is a great tool for trying to stop epidemics or treat certain diseases. However, it needs to be regulated, for the fact that it can be used to make super-organisms that are much better at destroying physical features and other organisms.

(i). Gene Editing of any organism shall be considered biologically unethical and will be prohibited if;
    -The organism will be used with the intention of causing harm to another organism, besides pests
    -If an organism is modified for the purpose of treating a disorder, disease, or infection and begins harming any other organism or physical feature, it shall be stopped by whatever means necessary
    -If the organism is sapient it shall be stopped with humane methods (Imprisonment, Relocation)

(ii). However, the following beneficial uses of Gene Editing will remain legal;
    -The use of Gene Editing for the purpose of curing diseases, disorders, or infections
Last edited by Free Masonic States on Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:31 am, edited 10 times in total.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 pm

"How is this even an International Issue?"
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 2 - 0 WSH | COL 1 - 1 WPG | VGK 2 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 2 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-19 | LSU 26-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-11

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 am

"The third clause is overly long and looks quite odd in a piece of law, consider dividing it into separate clauses. Also, I fail to see how this is an international issue."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The First German Order
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:40 am

“This seems unnecessary. Editing genes is not an international issue. Whether a nation does it or not really depends on ethics. Opposed.”
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:22 am

OOC: I would suggest adding "pests" into the list of organisms you're allowed to hurt, as that would allow for more natural pest control.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Free Masonic States
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Masonic States » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:10 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: I would suggest adding "pests" into the list of organisms you're allowed to hurt, as that would allow for more natural pest control.

Ok, Ill add it.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Free Masonic States wrote:(i). Gene Editing of any organism shall be considered biologically unethical and will be prohibited if;
    -The organism will be used with the intention of causing harm to another organism, including pests

"Ambassador, does this include gene therapy given to members of military organizations to enhance their performance and survival rates? If so, we categorically oppose."

-This also includes the stopping of any genetically modified organism if it has any side-effects that conflict with the first clause

"We're unclear what this clause is attempting to say."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Alpha Cassiopeiae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpha Cassiopeiae » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:24 pm

Free Masonic States wrote:Gene Editing is a great tool for trying to stop epidemics or treat certain diseases. However, it needs to be regulated, these regulations would include the prohibition of genetically modifying an organism for the purpose of damaging any physical feature.
"This is inappropriate in a legal code. Justifications should be short clauses at the beginning of the proposal and should not include requirements. Also, requirements (such as prohibiting damaging physical features) should be in their own clause in the actual body of the law with legal force."

(i). Gene Editing of any organism shall be considered biologically unethical and will be prohibited if;
    -The organism will be used with the intention of causing harm to another organism, including pests
"Why specifically mention pests? Any organism means any organism. And why prohibit pest control?"
    -This also includes the stopping of any genetically modified organism if it has any side-effects that conflict with the first clause
"This is awkwardly worded and I'm not quite certain what this is intended to mean."
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Albinus Krantz
General Ambassador to the World: Marian Novak

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:19 am

"Also, many WA nations have a genetically enhanced military to reduce fatalities, which the first line of the i clause would prohibit.'
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:41 am

Alpha Cassiopeiae wrote:"Why specifically mention pests? Any organism means any organism. And why prohibit pest control?"

OOC: They just added it to the wrong list. They were supposed to add it to the exceptions in (ii).
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Free Masonic States
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Masonic States » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:20 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Free Masonic States wrote:(i). Gene Editing of any organism shall be considered biologically unethical and will be prohibited if;

"Ambassador, does this include gene therapy given to members of military organizations to enhance their performance and survival rates? If so, we categorically oppose."

Yes, because of the increased performance and survival rates.

"We're unclear what this clause is attempting to say."

I have updated the clause making it easier to understand.

Free Masonic States
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Masonic States » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:07 am

Kenmoria wrote:"The third clause is overly long and looks quite odd in a piece of law, consider dividing it into separate clauses. Also, I fail to see how this is an international issue."

Fixed the third clause.

Free Masonic States
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Masonic States » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:11 am

Alpha Cassiopeiae wrote:
Free Masonic States wrote:Gene Editing is a great tool for trying to stop epidemics or treat certain diseases. However, it needs to be regulated, these regulations would include the prohibition of genetically modifying an organism for the purpose of damaging any physical feature.
"This is inappropriate in a legal code. Justifications should be short clauses at the beginning of the proposal and should not include requirements. Also, requirements (such as prohibiting damaging physical features) should be in their own clause in the actual body of the law with legal force."

Fixed.
"Why specifically mention pests? Any organism means any organism. And why prohibit pest control?"[/quote]
I accidentally placed that on the wrong clause.
"This is awkwardly worded and I'm not quite certain what this is intended to mean."

It means that any organism that is modified that ends up destroying physical features or other organisms shall be stopped.

The First German Order
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:18 am

Free Masonic States wrote:
Alpha Cassiopeiae wrote:"This is inappropriate in a legal code. Justifications should be short clauses at the beginning of the proposal and should not include requirements. Also, requirements (such as prohibiting damaging physical features) should be in their own clause in the actual body of the law with legal force."

Fixed.
"Why specifically mention pests? Any organism means any organism. And why prohibit pest control?"

It means that any organism that is modified that ends up destroying physical features or other organisms shall be stopped.

"And if that modified organism is unstoppable and/or sapient..?"
Last edited by The First German Order on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:22 am

(OOC: You have a random list tag in the last clause.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Free Masonic States
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Masonic States » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: You have a random list tag in the last clause.)

Fixed.

Free Masonic States
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Masonic States » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:44 pm

The First German Order wrote:
Free Masonic States wrote:Fixed.

If it were sapient it could be negotiated with, and if it doesn't agree to the terms, it shall be destroyed. See Clause For Update
An unstoppable organism seems very, very , very unlikely.
Last edited by Free Masonic States on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Free Masonic States wrote:If it were sapient it could be negotiated with, and if it doesn't agree to the terms, it shall be destroyed.

OOC: Um, that would count as murder...

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:18 am

The First German Order wrote:I accidentally placed that on the wrong clause.

If it were sapient it could be negotiated with, and if it doesn't agree to the terms, it shall be destroyed.

(OOC: That seems rather like murder or at least manslaughter, you seem to explicitly be giving sapient organising created through genetic modification lower rights that biologically created ones.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Free Masonic States
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Masonic States » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 am

Araraukar wrote:
Free Masonic States wrote:If it were sapient it could be negotiated with, and if it doesn't agree to the terms, it shall be destroyed.

OOC: Um, that would count as murder...

Kenmoria wrote:

(OOC: That seems rather like murder or at least manslaughter, you seem to explicitly be giving sapient organizing created through genetic modification lower rights that biologically created ones.)

See the updated clause regarding sapient organisms.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 am

OOC: This has been submitted.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:49 am

(OOC: This a way too short a period of submission, most proposals are drafted for weeks or months before being ready.)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are he/him.

Free Masonic States
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Masonic States » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:46 pm

THIS HAS BEEN SUBMITTED!
Approve It Here

This is my first General Assembly Proposal, what do you think?
Restrictions On The Editing Of Genes

Category: Bioethics
Area of Effect: Health
Proposed by: Free Masonic States

This Assembly,

GENE EDITING: Defined as the intentional modification of an organisms DNA.

REALIZING that editing the genes of an organism for the specific purpose of causing harm is not ethical.

Gene Editing is a great tool for trying to stop epidemics or treat certain diseases. However, it needs to be regulated, for the fact that it can be used to make super-organisms that are much better at destroying physical features and other organisms.

-The organism will be used with the intention of causing harm to another organism, besides pests
    -If an organism is modified for the purpose of treating a disorder, disease, or infection and begins harming any other organism or physical feature, it shall be stopped by whatever means necessary
    -If the organism is sapient it shall be stopped with humane methods (Imprisonment, Relocation)

(ii). However, the following beneficial uses of Gene Editing will remain legal;
    -The use of Gene Editing for the purpose of curing diseases, disorders, or infections

This is a very rough draft, but remember this is my first General Assembly proposal.
Tell me what I should improve.

This proposal is now waiting for approvals, click the link below to approve it.
https://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_view_proposal/id=free_masonic_states_1521214404

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:51 pm

ELSIE MORTIMER WELLESLEY: After receiving a notice from one of the Assembly's boards, we received the following, somewhat amateurish, telegram, reproduced verbatim:

ATTENTION WORLD ASSEMBLY DELEGATES
I would like you to approve my proposal for the General Assembly! The name of the proposal is 'Restrictions On The Editing Of Genes'. This proposal has to do with the misuse genetic modifications.
It includes:
Outlining what is classified as misuse of gene editing.
Outlining what is classified as legal use of gene editing.

Thanks In Advance

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Founded: Aug 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:ELSIE MORTIMER WELLESLEY: After receiving a notice from one of the Assembly's boards, we received the following, somewhat amateurish, telegram, reproduced verbatim:

Better do what it says, he thanked you in advance.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly