NATION

PASSWORD

[Rough Draft / Test] International Administration of Justice

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Rough Draft / Test] International Administration of Justice

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:40 am

OOC: Alright, yeah, this is going to be seriously flawed and possibly illegal. But I had this idea awhile ago and want to explore whether or not this is possible in the current GA context. Please help.

Ambassador Blackbourne emerges from a darkened drafting room, flips on the lights, puts up a sign by the door, and announces to anybody walking by: "I have drafted a new proposal, which seeks to end injustice within the World Assembly as perpetrated by certain nations."

International Administration of Justice
Category: Political Stability (?)
Strength: Significant (?)

Seeking to promote international security and reduce crime through an international justice system

Believing the best way to implement this is mutual cooperation by WA member states,

The Assembly of Worlds hereby

Reaffirms the right of member nations to universal jurisdiction over war crimes, so-called "crimes against humanity" and any other such crime that the World Assembly may decide to grant universal jurisdiction for;

Defines the jurisdiction of the World Assembly as all matters of law addressed by this Assembly over which member nations do not have universal jurisdiction,

Reestablishes the International Criminal Court as an appellate court operated by the World Assembly, with the following mandates:
  • Establishing an international court system and staffing it appropriately,
  • Reviewing appeals submitted by individuals in member nations who, being unsatisfied with criminal justice in their own nation, wish to receive a hearing in the ICC,
  • Choosing to accept cases which it deems to be of serious international importance and which fall under the jurisdiction of the World Assembly,
  • Delaying or refusing requests for weeks on end,
  • Reviewing evidence submitted by all parties to such cases as well as any evidence submitted by the Compliance Commission or any other World Assembly body,
  • Deciding such cases as it decides to hear;

Empowers the International Criminal Court to determine whether individuals or nations have violated World Assembly law in cases under World Assembly jurisdiction, to issue appropriate fines to nations found in noncompliance, and to withhold WA general funds from nations which refuse to pay fines;

Grants to member nations the right to pursue, apprehend, and prosecute individuals suspected of committing a crime under the jurisdiction of the World Assembly within their own territory, and within the territory of any member nation if there is good reason to suspect that such member nation is refusing or neglecting to prosecute such criminal suspects within their territory;
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:54 am

On Universal Jurisdiction comes to mind.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:56 am

Pursuing and apprehending sounds like police action, too. This doesn't look feasible with Rights & Duties and Universal Jurisdiction removed.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:39 pm

OOC: Interesting. I think you might have successfully slid around OUJ (aside by-the-way: IA, the listing for 312 in the Passed Resolutions thread has the Ctrl-F shortcut as "ONJ' rather than "OUJ") by making this thing exclusively an appellate court. However, I don't think "Establishing an international court system" manages to fit in that very tiny loophole, since a "court system" includes trial courts with original jurisdiction, and that won't fly. Under OUJ only member states can have original jurisdiction.

This, though:
Defines the jurisdiction of the World Assembly as all matters of law addressed by this Assembly over which member nations do not have universal jurisdiction,

...is either an empty set or a contradiction of #312. What matter of law is left out of both that resolution's affirmation of universal member state jurisdiction for heinous crimes, and the ordinary sovereign right of jurisdiction over ordinary crimes?

Then, I echo SP's point - giving member states the right to root around in any other member state, even for wanted war criminals, violates the most basic sovereignty as delineated in GAR #2.

This might not be dead on arrival, though. I'm curious to see what comes of it (and what others make of the legality issues herein).
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: Interesting. I think you might have successfully slid around OUJ (aside by-the-way: IA, the listing for 312 in the Passed Resolutions thread has the Ctrl-F shortcut as "ONJ' rather than "OUJ") by making this thing exclusively an appellate court. However, I don't think "Establishing an international court system" manages to fit in that very tiny loophole, since a "court system" includes trial courts with original jurisdiction, and that won't fly. Under OUJ only member states can have original jurisdiction.

This, though:

...is either an empty set or a contradiction of #312. What matter of law is left out of both that resolution's affirmation of universal member state jurisdiction for heinous crimes, and the ordinary sovereign right of jurisdiction over ordinary crimes?

Then, I echo SP's point - giving member states the right to root around in any other member state, even for wanted war criminals, violates the most basic sovereignty as delineated in GAR #2.

This might not be dead on arrival, though. I'm curious to see what comes of it (and what others make of the legality issues herein).

I disagree that it gets around OUJ.

including but not limited to through an international criminal court or a substantially similar institution,

Clause 7 explicitly includes any international criminal court. An appellate court for criminal acts is still a criminal court or substantially similar institution.

The question of original jurisdiction isn't ever dealt with.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:(aside by-the-way: IA, the listing for 312 in the Passed Resolutions thread has the Ctrl-F shortcut as "ONJ' rather than "OUJ")

Corrected.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:15 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:I disagree that it gets around OUJ.

including but not limited to through an international criminal court or a substantially similar institution,

Clause 7 explicitly includes any international criminal court. An appellate court for criminal acts is still a criminal court or substantially similar institution.

The question of original jurisdiction isn't ever dealt with.

The full text of clause 7 (emphasis mine):

GAR #312 wrote:7. Forbids the World Assembly from preempting a member state's claim to universal jurisdiction under this resolution, including but not limited to through an international criminal court or a substantially similar institution, to the extent permitted by this and previous World Assembly resolutions;

I don't see that an appellate court is capable of "preempting" a claim; by definition it only hears cases which a member state has already tried to completion. The proposed institution is, yes, quite obviously "an international criminal court or a substantially similar institution," but not one capable of "preempting a member state's claim to universal jurisdiction."

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:(aside by-the-way: IA, the listing for 312 in the Passed Resolutions thread has the Ctrl-F shortcut as "ONJ' rather than "OUJ")

Corrected.

Thanks! :)
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:The full text of clause 7 (emphasis mine):

GAR #312 wrote:7. Forbids the World Assembly from preempting a member state's claim to universal jurisdiction under this resolution, including but not limited to through an international criminal court or a substantially similar institution, to the extent permitted by this and previous World Assembly resolutions;

I don't see that an appellate court is capable of "preempting" a claim; by definition it only hears cases which a member state has already tried to completion. The proposed institution is, yes, quite obviously "an international criminal court or a substantially similar institution," but not one capable of "preempting a member state's claim to universal jurisdiction."

For what it's worth, I believe this has been for quite some time the dominant interpretation, I agree with it, and it is also the one which was taken by the moderators in some ruling or another in 2014 or 2015.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:On Universal Jurisdiction comes to mind.

"I have already taken it into consideration." Blackbourne replies.

OOC: asked about this awhile ago in a discussion thread titled On "On Universal Jurisdiction". This is the result.

Separatist Peoples wrote:Pursuing and apprehending sounds like police action, too. This doesn't look feasible with Rights & Duties and Universal Jurisdiction removed.

OOC?
Undertaken by the police of member nations, so the police actions clause should not come under effect. There isn't even a WA committee doing any organizing this time. Are you arguing that member nations are prohibited from using their own police in ways allowed by WA law?

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: Interesting. I think you might have successfully slid around OUJ by making this thing exclusively an appellate court. However, I don't think "Establishing an international court system" manages to fit in that very tiny loophole, since a "court system" includes trial courts with original jurisdiction, and that won't fly. Under OUJ only member states can have original jurisdiction.

OOC:
Hmmm... that was not my intent. I will work to correct that.

This, though:

The WA has laws, so therefore all violations of WA law should be crimes. Some of these are crimes against humanity and war crimes, but most are not and therefore no explicit right to universal jurisdiction is granted. The argument is whether it is implied that member nations have universal jurisdiction over all violations of WA law. I do not believe so.

Matters of international law has always been exempted. If the WA grants a right to violate national sovereignty, then it is so.

As an example, treaty organizations may, through certain agreements, violate national sovereignty (such as by requiring adoption of a common currency). But these are specifically exempted in GA#2. In the same way, nations must, because the WA says so, allow other nations to track down criminals in their territory. It is part of an obligation to international law.

Curious to see what Auralia makes of this.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:24 pm

What if a nation attempted to execute a prisoner before his repeal was heard? Or what if a nation denies a citizen the right to appeal?

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Also, is a WA Police Force, if you will, an army?

Grants to member nations the right to pursue, apprehend, and prosecute individuals suspected of committing a crime under the jurisdiction of the World Assembly within their own territory, and within the territory of any member nation if there is good reason to suspect that such member nation is refusing or neglecting to prosecute such criminal suspects within their territory;

I'm sure someone's ruled on this before, but I don't know which way the ruling was decided

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:52 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:I'm sure someone's ruled on this before, but I don't know which way the ruling was decided

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... FToKr5Ues/

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: Interesting. I think you might have successfully slid around OUJ (aside by-the-way: IA, the listing for 312 in the Passed Resolutions thread has the Ctrl-F shortcut as "ONJ' rather than "OUJ") by making this thing exclusively an appellate court. However, I don't think "Establishing an international court system" manages to fit in that very tiny loophole, since a "court system" includes trial courts with original jurisdiction, and that won't fly. Under OUJ only member states can have original jurisdiction.

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:I don't see that an appellate court is capable of "preempting" a claim; by definition it only hears cases which a member state has already tried to completion.

((OOC: But "trying to completion" implies the ability to control the entire process, including the appeals process. If a member state have a claim to criminal jurisdiction, that claim is absolute and applies to both original and appellate jurisdiction. An international appellate court would force member states to share appellate jurisdiction, which is exactly what the blocker in OUJ was supported to prevent.

I remember the moderator ruling IA is referencing and I did not agree with it. I hope GenSec rejects that particular moderator precedent.

With that said, I do not think OUJ prohibits an international court for crimes for which universal jurisdiction is not recognized by the World Assembly. Nor does it prohibit an international court for civil matters. I'm not sure either is a particularly good idea, though.))

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:What matter of law is left out of both that resolution's affirmation of universal member state jurisdiction for heinous crimes, and the ordinary sovereign right of jurisdiction over ordinary crimes?

((OOC: The World Assembly does not recognize an explicit inalienable sovereign right of jurisdiction over ordinary crimes for which there is no universal jurisdiction.))
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:33 pm

((OOC: Link to the appellate court ruling. I think it clearly misreads OUJ as merely granting some kind of initial "right to prosecute" as opposed to full criminal jurisdiction.))
Last edited by Auralia on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:00 pm

Auralia wrote:((OOC: With that said, I do not think OUJ prohibits an international court for crimes for which universal jurisdiction is not recognized by the World Assembly. Nor does it prohibit an international court for civil matters. I'm not sure either is a particularly good idea, though.))
((OOC: The World Assembly does not recognize an explicit inalienable sovereign right of jurisdiction over ordinary crimes for which there is no universal jurisdiction.))

OOC:
In regards to this, which is probably the second of the two large challenges to this proposal (the other being Legality) I will argue this:
For matters addressed by World Assembly law, the World Assembly has clearly decided that such matters are
A) Of international importance and
B) Should not be left solely in the hands of member nations.
Therefore, I do believe that such matters are both of importance to be addressed by an international court and should not be left solely to the courts of member nations.

Finally, there is pressing need for such judicial action because member nations have proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted to adhere to WA mandates and will ignore those mandates or find loopholes to avoid compliance. Even if such actions as those of the international court do not create perfect compliance, they would certainly go quite a way by disincentivizing non-compliance and ignorance of WA resolutions.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:48 am

(Will comment next week, when a holiday from work means that I'll have more time available to consider the arguments and the applicable resolutions.)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:00 pm

I might actually support, although I have reservations, that said, can you please not call it the Assembly of Worlds? It is the World Assembly, not the Worlds Assembly.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:13 pm

I still contend that this violates the no-armies rule

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:I don't see that an appellate court is capable of "preempting" a claim; by definition it only hears cases which a member state has already tried to completion. The proposed institution is, yes, quite obviously "an international criminal court or a substantially similar institution," but not one capable of "preempting a member state's claim to universal jurisdiction."

But it preempts that final jurisdiction that member courts have. I don't see how any supranational court doesn't do that.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:I still contend that this violates the no-armies rule

That rule was thrown out. The only no-army barrier is in GAR#2.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly