NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Marital Rape Justice Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

In your nation, what is the usual punishment for marital rape?

There is no punishment.
11%
Prison, but for less time than other kinds of rape.
4%
Prison, for the same amount of time as other kinds of rape.
58%
Prison, for more time than other kinds of rape.
5%
Capital punishment.
13%
None of the above, other.
8%

Total votes : 321

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:26 am

Christian Democrats wrote:And let's not forget this. :palm:
Spiritwolf wrote:In my Nation, entering into marriage implies consent to sexual relations. It is understood that your husband (or your wife) HAVE A RIGHT to physical sexual intimacy/sex with you. A wife or husband MAY NOT refuse sex to their spouse.

No doubt the ambassador of Christian Democrats holds this up as an example of some nations' "primitive, archaic" views on marriage. It should be pointed out, though, that in many cultures, Kawaiians included, marriage as an institution is intended for the creation of the next generation of life. Entering into marriage under Kawaiian law implies an agreement to have children, the Cute One willing. Obviously then, it implies consent--to a certain extent--to sexual relations. There is nothing coercive about this, since marriage is an agreement freely entered into. We ask again--is the ambassador from Christian Democrats willing to stand forth and declare Kawaiian marriage law the equivalent of rape?
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:08 pm

The Eternal Kawaii wrote:No doubt the ambassador of Christian Democrats holds this up as an example of some nations' "primitive, archaic" views on marriage. It should be pointed out, though, that in many cultures, Kawaiians included, marriage as an institution is intended for the creation of the next generation of life. Entering into marriage under Kawaiian law implies an agreement to have children, the Cute One willing. Obviously then, it implies consent--to a certain extent--to sexual relations. There is nothing coercive about this, since marriage is an agreement freely entered into. We ask again--is the ambassador from Christian Democrats willing to stand forth and declare Kawaiian marriage law the equivalent of rape?

I do not know enough about the intricacies of your laws to judge the morality or lack thereof of your people's views on marriage.

In my country, consent to marriage is not considered consent to sexual activity; however, there are grounds for annulment if:

• The spouse refuses to consummate the marriage;
  • The spouse is incapable of consummating the marriage; or
  • The spouse, when marrying, is not open to procreation.
In a sense, I have no problem with the implication that consent to marriage is consent to reproduction. That said, annulment is proper if a spouse does not fulfill a marital obligation. Rape, regardless of marital status, is always wrong. In that sense, verbal agreement to marry during a marital ceremony never shall be considered agreement to sexual intercourse. A marriage is not complete until consummation. If consummation never occurs, then the marriage itself was never completed. The so-called marriage is invalid and never existed.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Sardakhar
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sardakhar » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:38 pm

81% for this resolution with only 4 hours to go. We in Sardakhar are already preparing to celebrate this great step in the advancement of morality of all sapient beings in existence.

Jonah Zarkos
Sardakhar Ambassador to the World Assembly

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:46 pm

Now to wait for CD's next resolution on marriage issues... :roll:

Yours writhing because of very, very strange obsessions,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Sardakhar
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sardakhar » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:13 pm

General Assembly Resolution #231: Marital Rape Justice Act passed with 9.741 (81%) votes in favor and 2.246 (19%) votes against.

What a Christmas resolution...
Last edited by Sardakhar on Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Sardakhar wrote:General Assembly Resolution #231: Marital Rape Justice Act passed with 9.741 (81%) votes in favor and 2.246 (19%) votes against.

What a Christmas resolution...

Yes what a Christmas resoultion,

A bunch of BLIND ambassadors passed an illegal act, that the mod's dropped the ball on.

Quite a victory.

Enjoy it while you can, as you will be defending it till the end of time from constant repeals.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:14 pm

OOC: My Civil Rights just went down THREE points at the same time I received a Compliance TG! Fantastic... NOT! :palm:
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

ALMF
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:26 pm

The Eternal Kawaii wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:And let's not forget this. :palm:

No doubt the ambassador of Christian Democrats holds this up as an example of some nations' "primitive, archaic" views on marriage. It should be pointed out, though, that in many cultures, Kawaiians included, marriage as an institution is intended for the creation of the next generation of life. Entering into marriage under Kawaiian law implies an agreement to have children, the Cute One willing. Obviously then, it implies consent--to a certain extent--to sexual relations. There is nothing coercive about this, since marriage is an agreement freely entered into. We ask again--is the ambassador from Christian Democrats willing to stand forth and declare Kawaiian marriage law the equivalent of rape?

We are willing to step foreword and call it borderline and a primitive, archaic view on marriage. The latter not only in "...it implies consent--to a certain extent--to sexual relations." but also in any inherent tie between marriage and reproduction.
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)
Left over right: 5.99
Libertarian over authoritarian: 4.2,
non-interventionist over neo-con: 5.14
Cultural liberal over cultural conservative: 7.6

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:19 am

If there was ever a WA resolution our nation could actually be proud to support, it would be this one. We are glad to have done our very minor part in helping this pass and were surprised that this wasn't already law for WA nations.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Saiwania wrote:We are glad to have done our very minor part in helping this pass and were surprised that this wasn't already law for WA nations.

IT WAS ALREADY!!

This act is illegal under duplication rules, the mods dropped the ball and have admitted to it.

I believe the mods should let us repeal it using the argument that it is illegal, just to set things straight.
Last edited by United Federation of Canada on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:16 pm

United Federation of Canada wrote:the mods dropped the ball and have admitted to it.

Where did they do that?
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:29 pm

United Federation of Canada wrote:
Saiwania wrote:We are glad to have done our very minor part in helping this pass and were surprised that this wasn't already law for WA nations.

IT WAS ALREADY!!

This act is illegal under duplication rules, the mods dropped the ball and have admitted to it.

I believe the mods should let us repeal it using the argument that it is illegal, just to set things straight.

By virtue of this passing, it is declared legal. Even the most gratuitous example of a resolution not meeting the rules for proposals (Max Barry Day) had to be repealed on other grounds.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:33 pm

IT WAS ALREADY!!

As the Generalites would say, "Source?"

United Federation of Canada wrote:I believe the mods should let us repeal it using the argument that it is illegal, just to set things straight.

As Enn said, Max Barry Day, which the mods did admit slipped past them, had to be repealed on other grounds than legality. That's not to say that legality arguments can't be used in the debate, but they can't be used in the repeal's text.

ALMF
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
IT WAS ALREADY!!

As the Generalites would say, "Source?"

United Federation of Canada wrote:I believe the mods should let us repeal it using the argument that it is illegal, just to set things straight.

As Enn said, Max Barry Day, which the mods did admit slipped past them, had to be repealed on other grounds than legality. That's not to say that legality arguments can't be used in the debate, but they can't be used in the repeal's text.

The only way I wold support a repeal wold be a civil rights replacement (to prevent the end-runs around rape laws shone repeatedly in this form) that was of higher quality.
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)
Left over right: 5.99
Libertarian over authoritarian: 4.2,
non-interventionist over neo-con: 5.14
Cultural liberal over cultural conservative: 7.6

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:15 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
The Eternal Kawaii wrote:No doubt the ambassador of Christian Democrats holds this up as an example of some nations' "primitive, archaic" views on marriage. It should be pointed out, though, that in many cultures, Kawaiians included, marriage as an institution is intended for the creation of the next generation of life. Entering into marriage under Kawaiian law implies an agreement to have children, the Cute One willing. Obviously then, it implies consent--to a certain extent--to sexual relations. There is nothing coercive about this, since marriage is an agreement freely entered into. We ask again--is the ambassador from Christian Democrats willing to stand forth and declare Kawaiian marriage law the equivalent of rape?

I do not know enough about the intricacies of your laws to judge the morality or lack thereof of your people's views on marriage.

Then why in the Cute One's Name does the ambassador feel qualified to draft legislation impacting it? Are there not enough busybodies in this Assembly?
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
United Federation of Canada wrote:the mods dropped the ball and have admitted to it.

Where did they do that?

Gee, do you really want to argue that in a court of law? One might say this is nit picking but this post of YOURS.

Sanctaria wrote:
United Federation of Canada wrote:Now it appears we have a precedent set for duplicate resolutions to pass, as this example can now be used as legal justification.

What's next, ammending resolutions that were already passed? (I am writing my target list right now)

...No, no we haven't.

Resolutions have slipped passed the Mods before, doesn't mean the rules were changed because of them.

Honestly, where does this "precedent" stuff come out of. Stare decisis isn't in operation here. Max could turn around tomorrow and change the rules at a whim.

Is a pretty good expression of guilt. You pretty much assumed the resolution was illegal in that post but insisted it did not change precedent.
Last edited by Retired WerePenguins on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:19 pm

Retired WerePenguins wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Where did they do that?

Gee, do you really want to argue that in a court of law? One might say this is nit picking but this post of YOURS.

Sanctaria wrote:...No, no we haven't.

Resolutions have slipped passed the Mods before, doesn't mean the rules were changed because of them.

Honestly, where does this "precedent" stuff come out of. Stare decisis isn't in operation here. Max could turn around tomorrow and change the rules at a whim.

Is a pretty good expression of guilt. You pretty much assumed the resolution was illegal in that post but insisted it did not change precedent.

Er, what? You know Sanc isn't a mod right?
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:23 pm

Ossitania wrote:
Retired WerePenguins wrote:

Er, what? You know Sanc isn't a mod right?

Eh, yeah. Sorry guys, I'm not a Mod.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:29 am

That's why I said a court of law. As they say the issues editor is "close enough for government work."

Trying to get a statement from an actual mod is like trying to get blood from a stone.

Don't belittle yourself ... your're IMPOTENT.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:39 am

Retired WerePenguins wrote:That's why I said a court of law. As they say the issues editor is "close enough for government work."

I'm sure if I attempted to warn you, you'd have a different opinion :p

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:52 am

I go away on a six month coke-fuelled murdering spree and suddenly we have to pay for other countries' education. And now the Assembly is mini-managing sex laws, peering into our bedroom windows! Unacceptable! This law must be repealed!~

Ambassador Aram Koopman
World Assembly representative for the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Knootoss wrote:I go away on a six month coke-fuelled murdering spree and suddenly we have to pay for other countries' education. And now the Assembly is mini-managing sex laws, peering into our bedroom windows! Unacceptable! This law must be repealed!~

(Image)
Ambassador Aram Koopman
World Assembly representative for the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss

Agreed!!

Will your fine delegation please craft a repeal to this?

The God-Realm
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The God-Realm » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:08 pm

To comply with the new Act, East Lower Golgo will pass it's first anti rape laws ever.
Add me on Steam: Hatekindler

Member of: IWW, EF!, La Raza, the KFA, and NSG Senate and Red Army
Esternial wrote:
The God-Realm wrote:No

people who qq over losing a gf over a small penis size are insecure and need to check themselves

Before they wreck themselves?

Or their ex' car.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:12 pm

We recognize and sympathize with the principled opposition to this resolution, although we voted for it. For what it is worth, we suggest a companion Human Rights proposal recognizing 'Freedom from Assault', 'Freedom from Sexual Assault', or what have you. The categorization of this resolution is a bit bizarre, we must agree.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Third World Saints
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Third World Saints » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:23 pm

In the Incorporated States, we prefer to first chemically castrate rapists, then send them to an isolated Lifer Colony where the only people they can threaten is each other, medication or no. By and large, once they are no longer being plagued by excess testosterone, they make surprisingly effective workers.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives