NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Prevention of Child Abuse

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:15 am

Spanking is in no way a substitute for good parenting. Good parenting should preclude the need to spank children in all but the most severe cases of misbehavior. I would sincerely agree with the viewpoint that spanking should be limited, but not done away with.

Spanking as a form of negative reinforcement is itself not abuse. Its overuse, or misuse is. Negative reinforcement is a viable method for immediately stopping behavior, but it is not a long term solution. In combination with positive reinforcement, you will both stop the immediate behavior and encourage future behavior in the vein you wish.

The opinion that all spanking, regardless of rhyme or reason, is actually abuse, is an outlier. It is a perfectly valid opinion, but not at all representative of the majority of people. That said, to call those who wish to ensure moderation in the debate extremists, because they don't ascribe to your incredibly narrow view of the "truth" well... how does one define "extremist" again?

Edit: This is a good resolution, and it deserves support.
Last edited by The Dourian Embassy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Arthuriana wrote:so long as distinctions are being drawn between different kinds of abuse, this body is failing in its duty to protect these children.

From a philosophical standpoint, I cannot agree with this statement. There is certainly a difference between, say, slapping a person (child or adult) in the face and torturing her with electric shocks, and while both of these actions are wrong, one of them is clearly worse than the other, and a distinction definitely should be drawn between them.

The Dourian Embassy wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:*snip*

Wait, so you honestly believe that spanking is child abuse?

Aside from certain very limited circumstances, mostly involving the defense of self or others, the use of force against anyone, of any age, is abusive. Hitting a child is no more - and, for that matter, no less - justified than hitting an adult under the same circumstances. Therefore, children should be protected by laws against battery to the same extent that adults are.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Quelesh wrote:
Wait, so you honestly believe that spanking is child abuse?

Aside from certain very limited circumstances, mostly involving the defense of self or others, the use of force against anyone, of any age, is abusive. Hitting a child is no more - and, for that matter, no less - justified than hitting an adult under the same circumstances. Therefore, children should be protected by laws against battery to the same extent that adults are.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

As far as I'm aware, not many nations would qualify a woman slapping a man on the face out of anger as "abuse" or "battery". Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, etc. However, should that woman then go on the beat the man to a pulp, then that definitely would constitute as abuse.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Rattlestan
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rattlestan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Rattlestan wrote:Sadly, there don't appear any simple solutions to this quandary and we offer apologies if it appears we are being pedantic regarding a wholly worthwhile piece of legislation, but as a nation dedicated to the right of artistic expression, this is difficult for us. Nobody wants to see wanton images of child abuse passed off as art, but who is making the judgment call when the black and white become grey areas?

Your government actually. It's difficult to broadly legislate across a multitude of cultural norms, but this is the best way we figured out to legislate on this.

Whilst we would continue to voice our support for the purpose of your legislation, the concept of governments (be it our own or another nation's) deciding what constitues art is incompatible with our basic principles. This being an inherent constituent of your legislation, it is with regret that we have no alternative than to oppose this motion.
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Epiſkœ is clearly surprised at Dr. Ferguson's comment. "Ifœ'Ii wilʃinaʒü-lœanzœ?"

"I guess so..." Rowan catches a bemused look from the Emissary, and corrects herself, putting her Codex down for the moment to address the Assembly. "Sorry. Are we really so unique? Of course a woman slapping a man is considered battery. Our culture is not sexist like that, and it does come as quite a surprise that yours, Doctor, is. Even more surprising is your implication that most nations share your views. What a brutal place the world is, indeed..."

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Eireann Fae wrote:Epiſkœ is clearly surprised at Dr. Ferguson's comment. "Ifœ'Ii wilʃinaʒü-lœanzœ?"

"I guess so..." Rowan catches a bemused look from the Emissary, and corrects herself, putting her Codex down for the moment to address the Assembly. "Sorry. Are we really so unique? Of course a woman slapping a man is considered battery. Our culture is not sexist like that, and it does come as quite a surprise that yours, Doctor, is. Even more surprising is your implication that most nations share your views. What a brutal place the world is, indeed..."

I think your nation is quite aware that it is unique in quite a number of ways. It would not surprise me if this was yet another addition to that list.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Eireann Fae wrote:Epiſkœ is clearly surprised at Dr. Ferguson's comment. "Ifœ'Ii wilʃinaʒü-lœanzœ?"

Your Excellency, I don't think Dr. Ferguson was implying that all cultures are sexist. I think he was being rhetorical - most cultures don't find slapping one another to be on par with battery, just like spanking a child for misbehaving isn't necessarily battery either. Just like you wouldn't persecute a woman for hitting a man in an instance of infidelity, spanking a child for throwing a rock through the front window isn't really unjustifiable either.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Atravinia
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Atravinia » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:48 am

The nation of Atravinia wholeheartedly agrees with the proposal and is please to have made this its first vote in the World Assembly.

Spanking is illegal in Atravinia but I agree this should not be included as a form of child abuse in the proposal as we respect the right of other nations to make their own decision on this matter.

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:01 am

Shadowlandistan has voted FOR this reslution.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.54

You are an anarcho-collectivistic.

Cosmopolitan 43%- Nationalistic
Secular 104% -Fundamentalist
Visionary 72%- Reactionary
Anarchistic 76%- Authoritarian
Communistic 34%- Capitalistic
Pacifist 47%- Militaristic
Ecological 16%- Anthropocentric

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:20 am

I rise to cast my vote for this sensibly written, proposal and will urge my regional delegate to do the same.

Well done ambassador.

Nigel S Youlkin
USP Ambassador
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Nova Prutenia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Prutenia » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:34 pm

"any deliberate act and/or behaviour which results in serious emotional and mental trauma in a child"

A person who reveals to a child that Santa isn't real should be arrested?

Louisistan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2012

Postby Louisistan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Deputy Ambassador Schulz is returning from a meeting with the Special Ambassador which - for convenience - took place in the strangers' bar
Why do you lie to your child in the first place?
Knight of TITO

Arthuriana
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthuriana » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Louisistan wrote:Deputy Ambassador Schulz is returning from a meeting with the Special Ambassador which - for convenience - took place in the strangers' bar
Why do you lie to your child in the first place?

More to the point, why has the delegate raised their child in a way that means the breaking of the Santa Claus illusion will result in emotional trauma?
We face the horizon, everywhere we go,
We face the horizon, the horizon is our home.

The head of the World Assembly Delegation for Arthuriana is His Royal Highness the Crown Prince John, next in line to the throne.

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Nova Prutenia wrote:"any deliberate act and/or behaviour which results in serious emotional and mental trauma in a child"

A person who reveals to a child that Santa isn't real should be arrested?

If your child suffers from serious emotional and mental trauma from realizing that Santa isn't real, then I think there may be other factors in play...
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Sciongrad wrote:

Your Excellency, I don't think Dr. Ferguson was implying that all cultures are sexist. I think he was being rhetorical - most cultures don't find slapping one another to be on par with battery, just like spanking a child for misbehaving isn't necessarily battery either. Just like you wouldn't persecute a woman for hitting a man in an instance of infidelity, spanking a child for throwing a rock through the front window isn't really unjustifiable either.

Hitting a child for throwing a rock through your window is no more - and no less - justified than hitting an adult for the same reason.

If your culture is violent enough that its members resort to the infliction of pain for such reasons, then I think that's unfortunate, but you should at least be equal-opportunity sadists.

If it's acceptable, desirable and/or legal in your nation to hit people, regardless of age, for throwing a rock through a window, then that's a reflection of a general violent mindset in your culture. However, if it's acceptable/desirable/legal in your nation to hit children, but not to hit adults, for throwing a rock through a window, then that's a reflection of anti-child bigotry endemic in your culture.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Katzharak
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Katzharak » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:15 pm

Be it that this resolution prevents the transport of children to nations that may not participate in the World Assembly simply on the account of the degree to which they protect children's rights, we reject this proposition. Let it be known that we support the general notion of this resolution. Let it also be known that some nations are on the road of development but require time and infrastructure before they may carry out the responsibilities of a WA member, as they do not enjoy the same legislative luxuries as member states are quick to dismiss. To deprive a child's ability to visit his or her family of another country is truly a tragedy we cannot bear to see.

We also believe that through constructive cooperation as opposed to mandated ostracizing we may bring the whole of the world to greater heights.

Eritopia
Civilian

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Against!

Postby Eritopia » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:26 pm

We are very alarmed that this specifies that sexual contact must be "unwanted" or "nonconsensual". We believe it is a fundamental principle that under the age of majority, a child is not capable of giving consent to such acts. This puts the burden of proof on the victim to prove it was "nonconsensual".

Dalsky-Petrovica
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Prvention?

Postby Dalsky-Petrovica » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:48 am

My nation disagrees with this initiative. All children do is whine, eat and use my valuable resources, so it is only fair that they should repay their debts.

Louisistan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2012

Postby Louisistan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:24 am

Katzharak wrote:Be it that this resolution prevents the transport of children to nations that may not participate in the World Assembly simply on the account of the degree to which they protect children's rights, we reject this proposition. Let it be known that we support the general notion of this resolution. Let it also be known that some nations are on the road of development but require time and infrastructure before they may carry out the responsibilities of a WA member, as they do not enjoy the same legislative luxuries as member states are quick to dismiss. To deprive a child's ability to visit his or her family of another country is truly a tragedy we cannot bear to see.

We also believe that through constructive cooperation as opposed to mandated ostracizing we may bring the whole of the world to greater heights.

This has already been discussed many times. The resoultion only forbids the transport of children to non-WA-members for the purpose of contravening this resolution! As long as you don't plan to harm your child there you can bring your child to any country you like.
Knight of TITO

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 am

We find that all works have artistic merit of some sort, even if that merit is only as a demonstration of what not to do. We have also chosen to ban any works without artistic merit, but have defined no punishment.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:14 am

Linux and the X wrote:We find that all works have artistic merit of some sort, even if that merit is only as a demonstration of what not to do. We have also chosen to ban any works without artistic merit, but have defined no punishment.

I was under the impression your nation didn't even have children... how exactly does one depict something that doesn't exist?

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:37 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:We find that all works have artistic merit of some sort, even if that merit is only as a demonstration of what not to do. We have also chosen to ban any works without artistic merit, but have defined no punishment.

I was under the impression your nation didn't even have children... how exactly does one depict something that doesn't exist?

If someone figures out how, it has artistic merit. If somehow it doesn't, it's illegal but unpunished.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:38 am

Linux and the X wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:I was under the impression your nation didn't even have children... how exactly does one depict something that doesn't exist?

If someone figures out how, it has artistic merit. If somehow it doesn't, it's illegal but unpunished.

How vindictive of your nation.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:40 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:If someone figures out how, it has artistic merit. If somehow it doesn't, it's illegal but unpunished.

How vindictive of your nation.

Thank you.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:20 pm

Eritopia wrote:We are very alarmed that this specifies that sexual contact must be "unwanted" or "nonconsensual". We believe it is a fundamental principle that under the age of majority, a child is not capable of giving consent to such acts. This puts the burden of proof on the victim to prove it was "nonconsensual".

It also, in case you didn't notice, stipulates that it must be "forced" in order for the terms of this resolution to require its criminalization. If the individuals involved are younger than the age of majority, but older than the age of consent, then GAR16 actually prohibits the criminalization of the sex. But if an individual involved is younger than the age of consent, then GAR16 requires the criminalization of the sex. Regardless, whether sex is or is not criminalized is still determined by GAR16, not by this resolution.

Of course, if your nation wants to use something other than the birthday-counting method to determine competence, there are ways for it to get around GAR16.

I admit that I am not nearly as familiar with Luxian law as you are, but it seems to me like that shouldn't be necessary. The clause in question only refers to images that depict "child abuse," and a "child" is defined as being a person younger than the threshold of majority. Isn't the Luxian age of majority 0?

My government is still officially examining the resolution, but I've been told unofficially that this resolution will require no legislative changes in Quelesh, as Quelesh does not have a threshold of majority, or equivalent.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives