NATION

PASSWORD

America: Hidden Poverty

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Libertarian Mesa
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

America: Hidden Poverty

Postby Libertarian Mesa » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:29 pm

When one thinks of America, you probably think the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building, Hollywood, pristine suburban streets, or things which bring wealth and happiness. Many people do not realize that some parts of the country extremely poor and underdeveloped. Here are some examples:

East St. Louis, Illinois
Percent of population in poverty: 35.1
Population: 27,000
Number of killings in 2007: 30

Pine Ridge, South Dakota
Unemployment rate: Approx. 80%
Life expectancy: About 50 years, the lowest in the Western Hemisphere apart from Haiti.

There are others, like Fort Thompson, South Dakota, where 64.6% of people live in poverty and many homes don't have even plumbing or kitchens. My question is, what on Earth can be done to these poor areas. I'm a libertarian and therefore oppose government aid for the poor, but what else can these people depend on? The only thing I can think of is the tax incentives for businesses to create jobs there. But could it really solve all their problems?

What do you all think? Especially capitalist libertarians, as this is quite a dilemma.
Last edited by Libertarian Mesa on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Allow a method of government welfare that employs the poor to pick up trash, make license plates, pave roads, create day care for in need students. Things like that. If the fail at those jobs fire them. You rise or fall of your own merit.
The Proclaimed Psycho on NSG
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

I'm politically syncretic so stop asking. :)
My political and social missions

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Ensure everyone can live under a roof, have something to eat, and have jobs to do. It might not fix all problems, but it is probably a good start.

While I would suggest the government subsidising all those stuff, it should be obvious that you and other libertarians would be against it. I think that tax incentives for companies to do the above stuff should be good enough in your viewpoint. However, given the nature of companies, I doubt it would help those who need the services most.

USA, technically being a secular state, probably should not meddle in religious affairs, but sometimes I would think that churches might be the one who can help them, beside government aids. I wonder would it be unconstitutional for the state to call for charity aids from churches and similar organisation?
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:53 pm

We aren't a third world nation, as we were on a side during the Cold War.

OH, that type of third world nation. No, we still aren't. We need a lot of improvement, but we aren't like Somalia or such. Really good second world, at worst. I doubt we can compare to durkadurkaislamoafricastanswana.
Last edited by Ceannairceach on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:57 pm

Being from a third-world country, I can confirm USA is not one.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:59 pm

Tuthina wrote:Ensure everyone can live under a roof, have something to eat, and have jobs to do. It might not fix all problems, but it is probably a good start.

While I would suggest the government subsidising all those stuff, it should be obvious that you and other libertarians would be against it. I think that tax incentives for companies to do the above stuff should be good enough in your viewpoint. However, given the nature of companies, I doubt it would help those who need the services most.

USA, technically being a secular state, probably should not meddle in religious affairs, but sometimes I would think that churches might be the one who can help them, beside government aids. I wonder would it be unconstitutional for the state to call for charity aids from churches and similar organisation?

How can you ensure everyone housing, food and jobs?
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:00 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Tuthina wrote:Ensure everyone can live under a roof, have something to eat, and have jobs to do. It might not fix all problems, but it is probably a good start.

How can you ensure everyone housing, food and jobs?

You cannot unless you raise taxes, cut defense, and use eminent domain on land.
The Proclaimed Psycho on NSG
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

I'm politically syncretic so stop asking. :)
My political and social missions

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:08 pm

The poorest counties are only as bad as Serbia, so far from third world, though not great nonetheless. A lot of these places, particularly the poorest ones in South Dakota, seem to be Native American lands, so wouldn't it be the tribes' responsibilities, given their autonomy?
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Shadow25
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow25 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:11 pm

oh i wish that my third world country was like USA
Better freedom with danger than peace with slavery
Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains.

6 April Youth
We did it, thanks Facebook thanks aljazeera thanks Tunisia and thanks twitter.
Smile, you aren't a Palestinian http://www.palestineremembered.com/index.html

Vecherd
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vecherd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Seeing how all those three places have a higher than 95% minority population, the only logical thing would be to spread them around in the white North, they wont be richer, but hey, it looks better on paper.

Other than that I am a supporter of the Free Market and letting them start their own businesses without problems and cut the the discriminating minimum wage laws so more people can get more jobs. I am sure this would absolutely increase standard of living.
Last edited by Vecherd on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Frie markeder Frie folk
[spoiler=Political Stuff]Left/Right: 8.12
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -10.00

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Shadow25 wrote:oh i wish that my third world country was like USA

Well, you've got an oversized, worryingly politically powerful army; a lively smuggling trade on one of your borders; a history of attempts to dominate or even control one's region; a large dam amidst copious quantities of desert; a history of blockading a neighbour you don't like; a major political party that wants social conservatism and doesn't like religious minorities; widespread dissatisfaction with government and the economy; nice tourist attractions; a British colonial past...

You're getting there. :P
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:27 pm

Libertarian Mesa wrote:When one thinks of America, you probably think the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building, Hollywood, pristine suburban streets, or things which bring wealth and happiness. Many people do not realize that some parts of the country like Third World nations. Here are some examples:

East St. Louis, Illinois

Pine Ridge, South Dakota
Life expectancy: About 50 years, the lowest in the Western Hemisphere apart from Haiti.

There are others, like Fort Thompson, South Dakota, where 64.6% of people live in poverty and many homes don't have even plumbing or kitchens. My question is, what on Earth can be done to these poor areas. I'm a libertarian and therefore oppose government aid for the poor, but what else can these people depend on? The only thing I can think of is the tax incentives for businesses to create jobs there. But could it really solve all their problems?

What do you all think? Especially capitalist libertarians, as this is quite a dilemma.

Most of these places are shit holes because they are over run with gangs.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs
“If a tyrant is one man and his subjects are many, why do they consent to their own enslavement?”- Étienne De La Boétie
“It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful.” - Anton Szandor LaVey
"Liberty is the mother, not the daughter, of order." Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
"Freedom" awakens your rage against everything that is not you; "egoism" calls you to joy over yourselves, to self-enjoyment."-Max Stirner
" A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." - Lynsander Spooner
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
"Morality is a device for controlling the gullible with words." - L A Rollins

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
Libertarian Mesa wrote:When one thinks of America, you probably think the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building, Hollywood, pristine suburban streets, or things which bring wealth and happiness. Many people do not realize that some parts of the country like Third World nations. Here are some examples:

East St. Louis, Illinois

Pine Ridge, South Dakota

They were shitholes before the gangs came. Gangs just made them worse, and sapped any chance of recovery.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Terra Agora wrote:Most of these places are shit holes because they are over run with gangs.

They were shitholes before the gangs came. Gangs just made them worse, and sapped any chance of recovery.

The worst one "Pine Ridges South Dakota" is an Indian reservation. That is probably one reason why it started going bad.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs
“If a tyrant is one man and his subjects are many, why do they consent to their own enslavement?”- Étienne De La Boétie
"Freedom" awakens your rage against everything that is not you; "egoism" calls you to joy over yourselves, to self-enjoyment."-Max Stirner
" A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." - Lynsander Spooner

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:37 pm

East St. Louis, Illinois

Pine Ridge, South Dakota

The poverty level is not a valid metric since the US poverty level is well above the median level of the world. Throw that out.

There are some poor areas, thanks to government mismanagement. It sucks, and I feel for those people. That does not make those places even remotely close to third world level.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Terra Agora wrote:

East St. Louis, Illinois

Pine Ridge, South Dakota

Anyone can point at gang culture and start blaming, what would you actually do about it?
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Angleter wrote:The poorest counties are only as bad as Serbia, so far from third world, though not great nonetheless. A lot of these places, particularly the poorest ones in South Dakota, seem to be Native American lands, so wouldn't it be the tribes' responsibilities, given their autonomy?

Not exactly. Tribal lands do not exist in legal reality. That is US Federal government land. And that is the problem. Property rights are a cornerstone of any prosperous society.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Vecherd wrote:Seeing how all those three places have a higher than 95% minority population, the only logical thing would be to spread them around in the white North, they wont be richer, but hey, it looks better on paper.

Other than that I am a supporter of the Free Market and letting them start their own businesses without problems and cut the the discriminating minimum wage laws so more people can get more jobs. I am sure this would absolutely increase standard of living.

Can't start a business without money. Can't get money without collateral. Don't have collateral since you live on government land.

That private property shit again. Damn capitalists.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Chrobalta
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chrobalta » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Three decades of underinvestment. Nothing surprising.
Democratic Socialist
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.79

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:42 pm

I would expect that actual 3rd world countries are rather worse off.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Mussoliniopoli
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mussoliniopoli » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Angleter wrote:The poorest counties are only as bad as Serbia, so far from third world, though not great nonetheless. A lot of these places, particularly the poorest ones in South Dakota, seem to be Native American lands, so wouldn't it be the tribes' responsibilities, given their autonomy?

Not exactly. Tribal lands do not exist in legal reality. That is US Federal government land. And that is the problem. Property rights are a cornerstone of any prosperous society.

Right all the Tribals problems would be solved by property rights. :lol2:
The Peoples' Authoritarian formerly known as Panzerjaeger
حرروا فلسطين
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.62
Power does not corrupt men; fools, however, if they get into a position of power, corrupt power.
All Aboard the Hate Train! Choo choo bitch.

Malgrave
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Malgrave » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:46 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about the ageing and crippled transport infrastructure of the United States compared to countries in Europe like Germany and the United Kingdom. I was mistaken.

These area's in poverty are the result of inefficient Government however you should compare those conditions to the ones present in some area's in Africa.
Frenequesta wrote:Well-dressed mad scientists with an edge.

United Kingdom of Malgrave (1910-)
Population: 331 million
GDP Per Capita: 42,000 dollars
Join the Leftist Cooperation and Security Pact

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Mussoliniopoli wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Not exactly. Tribal lands do not exist in legal reality. That is US Federal government land. And that is the problem. Property rights are a cornerstone of any prosperous society.

Right all the Tribals problems would be solved by property rights. :lol2:

Did I say that?

It would help them, economically.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Sibirsky wrote:

You ninja'd me. Though I saw it so I didn't post it.
Completely true Sib.

Didn't Stossel have a show on this awhile back?
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:51 pm

Sibirsky wrote:

The land is worthless. Property rights or not wouldn't make a difference. Even with cutting edge farming techniques, you couldn't grow more than a crop of dirt on Pine Ridge. It's not even good grazing land.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General