NATION

PASSWORD

Creationists Appointed to Science Review Panels

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon May 16, 2011 3:28 pm

By Ryan

The Texas Education Agency just released the full list of members serving on the science review panels that will evaluate instructional materials submitted for approval by the State Board of Education (SBOE). As TFN predicted earlier this spring, the review panel for biology includes a number of individuals with a history of promoting intelligent design/creationism or advocating the teaching of phony “weaknesses” of evolution in science classes.

Last month the Texas Freedom Network and the National Center for Science Education identified proposed materials from one vendor, New Mexico-based International Databases, that promote intelligent design/creationism as real science. Now evolution deniers on the review teams will likely use their positions as a podium to promote the same flawed arguments.

Read TFN’s press release here.

A preliminary analysis by TFN of the [url=A preliminary analysis by TFN of the biology review panel identified at least three anti-evolution activists:]biology review panel[/url] identified at least three anti-evolution activists:

Ide Trotter (appointed by Terri Leo, R-Spring)
Trotter is a longtime standard-bearer for the creationist movement in Texas, both as a source of funding and as a spokesperson for the leading creationist group in the state, Texans for Better Science Education. Trotter is a veteran of the evolution wars at the SBOE, having testified before the board during the 2003 Biology textbook adoption and again in 2009 during the science curriculum adoption. In both instances, Trotter advocated including scientifically discredited “weaknesses” of evolution in Texas science classrooms. Trotter runs his own investment management company and served as dean of business and professor of finance at Dallas Baptist University. He claims that major scientific discoveries over last century have actually made evolutionary science harder to defend:

“The ball is rolling and it’s going downhill. There are not enough forces on the side of Darwinism to keep pushing it back uphill forever.”

David Shormann (appointed by Barbara Cargill, R-The Woodlands)
Shormann, who has a doctorate in limnology (the study of inland waters), is an outspoken evolution denier who believes “creationism, not evolutionism, is the best way to interpret life’s origins…” He is also a young Earth creationist:

“Treating Earth history as just that, history, I can find physical and written testimony that the Earth is only 6,000 years old. And just as most of us have no problem believing Jesus Christ was a real person who lived 2,000 years ago, we should have no problem believing there were about 4,000 years from the Beginning to Christ’s birth. Studying natural history can be an interesting, fun, and adventure-filled pursuit, but it is not real science, and shouldn’t be treated like it is. Be wary of the opinions of those who insist otherwise.”

You can read more of Shormann’s beliefs about creation and evolution — and his poor opinion of the Texas Freedom Network! — on his blog Studying His Word and His Works.

Richard White (appointed by current SBOE chair Gail Lowe, R-Lampasas)
White indicated no relevant teaching experience in this area on his application (noting only that he works for Dell, Inc.). However, he testified before the SBOE on March 25, 2009, when he advocated the inclusion of phony “weaknesses” of evolution in Texas science standards:

“…These are all well-known scientific problems with modern evolutionary theory, and they do not exhaust the list. The entire list is a very long one.”

White went on in his testimony to insist that teaching the mainstream scientific consensus concerning evolution without also presenting its “weaknesses” amounted to forcing religious dogma on students.

Anti-evolution board members also nominated several other individuals for whom we could find no public record of their positions on evolution. (We did discover that another of Terri Leo’s nominees — Colleen Vera — is a prominent conservative activist affiliated with a group called King Street Patriots. Vera is currently organizing conservative groups to call on Gov. Perry to veto the new SBOE redistricting map.)

Fortunately, state board members also appointed many experienced scientists from Texas universities, as well as teachers and curriculum directors from school districts around the state. So the review panel will include a strong voice for sound science.

The review panels will meet in Austin during the week of June 13 – June 17, 2011, and submit their evaluations to the SBOE (and the public) before the July board meeting. Stay tuned to TFN Insider as this debate continues to heat up over the coming months.

http://tfninsider.org/2011/05/13/creati ... ew-panels/

OK, so... it's not that I'm judging you, Texas. But... what's the deal, guys?
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Straughn
Senator

Founded: Apr 11, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Straughn » Mon May 16, 2011 3:35 pm

"Darwin-ism" is another bad idea. Like "Gravity-ism" and "death-ism".
They're morons who want other morons to beget other morons. And their $. Rational thinking, testability and reproducibility are quite often at direct odds with mentalities that require perpetual states of unprovability and inductive persuasion, this obviously no different, and not new.
Religion-sourced power grab. They want a country run on religious principles, they should go try Iran.
Remember the difference between them and the pro sharia forces in the U.S.? The differences in nomenclature?
Neither do they. Haven't even read that much. Requires too much due diligence and understanding of principles.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon May 16, 2011 3:52 pm

Makes me glad to be in a state where religion and science are rightfully kept in different boxes.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon May 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Ya know... I'm getting really tired of having to explain that not all Americans are idiots who don't accept evolution over here in Japan; and then Texas does it again. *sighs*
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

TheRightWay
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TheRightWay » Mon May 16, 2011 4:18 pm

I like my religion (or lack thereof) where it is at, in my heart and with my family.

Where I don't like my religion is fucking with education or others freedoms, people that do are vain people indeed and hopefully see the light that region has its place but its place is not to supplant observable repeatable science with myths and wishes.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon May 16, 2011 4:24 pm

*Sigh* Time to blow up Texas. Should we do so before or after we give it back to Mexico, I wonder?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Valtieres
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Valtieres » Mon May 16, 2011 4:25 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:*Sigh* Time to blow up Texas. Should we do so before or after we give it back to Mexico, I wonder?

Just blow it up. Save us the trouble.
The Technocratic Hegemony of Valtieres
"In Machina Veritas"
National Societal Data: N/A
National Colonial Possessions: Port Icarus Colonial District
National Enterprise Data: Alta Bio/Chem Systems/Slovitrean Heavy Industries
National Economic Data: Market Report
Regional Data: Arctic Provinces Network

Surveillance Systems Alert Level
[Omega]

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Mon May 16, 2011 4:30 pm

So there's a few evolution doubters on this panel and suddenly Texas is on a road to theocracy?
Reasonable minds can and do support intelligent design/creationism. As much as NEITHER theory can be proven scientifically, either they should both be allowed in the classroom, or be told to GTFO.
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon May 16, 2011 4:31 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:So there's a few evolution doubters on this panel and suddenly Texas is on a road to theocracy?
Reasonable minds can and do support intelligent design/creationism. As much as NEITHER theory can be proven scientifically, either they should both be allowed in the classroom, or be told to GTFO.

*Ahem* Evolution is observable and is declared true. Creationism is not. Evolution must stay, creationism must go, lest we start allowing any idiotic "theory" into the class. Not to mention, David Shormann is quite wrong; He can offer no proof that the earth is 6000 years old.
Last edited by Ceannairceach on Mon May 16, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Mon May 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:*Ahem* Evolution is observable and is declared true. Creationism is not. Evolution must stay, creationism must go, lest we start allowing any idiotic "theory" into the class. Not to mention, David Shormann is quite wrong; He can offer no proof that the earth is 6000 years old.

Evolution is observable? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Alrighty then... as nobody's ever witnessed any example of it ever happening...

I already know that creationism isn't observable... bringing me back to my point, that as neither is observable or provable, either they both get allowed in the classroom or they should get shut out entirely.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon May 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:*Ahem* Evolution is observable and is declared true. Creationism is not. Evolution must stay, creationism must go, lest we start allowing any idiotic "theory" into the class. Not to mention, David Shormann is quite wrong; He can offer no proof that the earth is 6000 years old.

I already know that creationism isn't observable... bringing me back to my point, that as neither is observable or provable, either they both get allowed in the classroom or they should get shut out entirely.

Please, educate yourself. Evolution is fact.
Last edited by Ceannairceach on Mon May 16, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@}-;-'---

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Mon May 16, 2011 4:41 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:

Please, educate yourself. Evolution is fact.

Evolution is nothing short of a mountain of bull-$#it. There is not one single provable or observable piece of evidence that supports evolution... or creation for that matter.

NSG Sodomy Club Member.
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon May 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Please, educate yourself. Evolution is fact.

Evolution is nothing short of a mountain of bull-$#it. There is not one single provable or observable piece of evidence that supports evolution... or creation for that matter.

I'd suggest, then, repeating much of middle school, as you are obviously ignorant of the facts of evolution. Evolution is factual, and the Theory of Evolution via Natural Selection best explains how it occurs. Have you never heard of Darwins Finches?

@}-;-'---

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon May 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:Evolution is observable? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well now you're just blatantly lying. Evolution is observed all the time. It's easily observed in the cases of bacteria, or in fruit flies, etc. Things that have short lifespans and reproduce quickly.

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:Evolution is observable? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_lo ... experiment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html

You were saying?
Cool shit here, also here.

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:Evolution is nothing short of a mountain of bull-$#it. There is not one single provable or observable piece of evidence that supports evolution... or creation for that matter.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrar ... opic_id=46

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon May 16, 2011 4:52 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Please, educate yourself. Evolution is fact.

*sighs*

And this is why I constantly have to talk with the science teachers at my school because they cannot believe that people really do say things like this.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:54 pm

NERVUN wrote:*sighs*

And this is why I constantly have to talk with the science teachers at my school because they cannot believe that people really do say things like this.

Well, he disappeared after my posts. Maybe he thought there was no evidence because he was too lazy to ever bother checking.

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Mon May 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks for making that my first mod-quote Nervun.

And the e-coli experiment... did it produce a DIFFERENT organism? if not, then it's still e-coli. That's not evolution.

And there was one experiment that went through 2,000 generations of fruit flies... no evidence of evolution at all resulted from the experiment. I'll try and find a link for that.

NSG Sodomy Club Member.
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:58 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:That's not evolution.

Yes it is. Learn what evolution actually is, and then we can have a discussion.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon May 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:And the e-coli experiment... did it produce a DIFFERENT organism? if not, then it's still e-coli. That's not evolution.

Ah, I see. The problem is that you don't know what evolution actually is. Evolution is the change over time in one or more inherited traits found in populations of organisms.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon May 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:Thanks for making that my first mod-quote Nervun.

And the e-coli experiment... did it produce a DIFFERENT organism? if not, then it's still e-coli. That's not evolution.

And there was one experiment that went through 2,000 generations of fruit flies... no evidence of evolution at all resulted from the experiment. I'll try and find a link for that.

... :palm: That's not evolution. Evolution is the change over time in one or more inherited traits found in populations of organisms. Meaning, even if one thing changes, its evolution. As I said, read up on Darwins Finches.

@}-;-'---

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon May 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:Thanks for making that my first mod-quote Nervun.

There's no cut off point. It's not like a parent gives birth to a strange new creature. It's all gradual change.

It's like... Ok. I'm American, my wife is Japanese. My children are half White, half Asian. We live in Japan and plan to stay so chances are my sons will (if they do marry) marry Japanese women. Their children will be 1/4. My great grandchildren will be 1/8 and so on and so on and so on till my genetic material is probably nothing more than slight hints here and there, but there's no point at which you can say that THIS child was born purely Japanese.

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Mon May 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Minor change is micro-evolution... even I don't doubt that... that's like adaptation... but that's not things changing into another completely different animal. That's macroevolution, which is what i thought we were debating.
and I've heard about Darwin's finches... it got discussed in science class in both middle school and high school.

And where are all the supposed "transitional" life-forms? Not one has been proven to exist.

NSG Sodomy Club Member.
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Mon May 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:Minor change is micro-evolution... even I don't doubt that... that's like adaptation... but that's not things changing into another completely different animal. That's macroevolution, which is what i thought we were debating.
and I've heard about Darwin's finches... it got discussed in science class in both middle school and high school.

And where are all the supposed "transitional" life-forms? Not one has been proven to exist.

The only thing seperating macro and microevolution is time.

Also, http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transitional.html

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General