NATION

PASSWORD

FTF: Australian-Football-Weltmeisterschaft

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Commerce Heights
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:24 am

Matchday 7

Wollongo Wallabies 10.11.71 def. Bazalonia 5.12.42
The Babbage Islands 11.17.83 def. Nitrome Island 11.3.69
Lontorika 5.2.32 def. by North Chicanan 20.22.142

⁠                        Pld    W   D   L    PF   PA       %   Pts 
1 The Babbage Islands 7 6 0 1 718 494 145.3 24
2 Nitrome Island 7 5 0 2 795 425 187.1 20
3 North Chicanan 7 5 0 2 789 501 157.5 20
4 Lontorika 7 3 0 4 535 693 77.2 12
5 Bazalonia 7 1 0 6 453 772 58.7 4 Ausscheidungsfinale
6 Wollongo Wallabies 7 1 0 6 526 931 56.5 4 Ausscheidungsfinale

Commerce Heights
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:10 am

Matchday 8

Bazalonia 13.14.92 def. Lontorika 7.9.51
North Chicanan 14.9.93 def. The Babbage Islands 10.16.76
Nitrome Island 37.28.250 def. Wollongo Wallabies 0.3.3 :blink:

1 Nitrome Island 8 6 0 2 1045 428 244.2 24
2 North Chicanan 8 6 0 2 882 577 152.9 24
3 The Babbage Islands 8 6 0 2 794 587 135.3 24
4 Lontorika 8 3 0 5 586 785 74.6 12 Ausscheidungsfinale
5 Bazalonia 8 2 0 6 545 823 66.2 8 Ausscheidungsfinale
6 Wollongo Wallabies 8 1 0 7 529 1181 44.8 4 Ausscheidungsfinale

Sorthern Northland
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorthern Northland » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:15 am

Wollongo World

Umpires admit lack of Aussie rules knowledge

There was embarrassment for Sorthern Northland's fledging 'Aussie rules' football scene today after a set of umpires charged with officiating matches in the ongoing Australian-Football-Weltmeisterschaft admitted to having little idea as to what the actual rules of the sport are.

With the majority of the group stage of the competition already passed Sorthern representatives in the competition have yet to fare well with the Sorthern side Wollongo Wallabies being the first side to qualify for the Ausscheidungsfinale between the two worst placed team. The Wallabies also only picked up their first win in their most recent match, coincidentally against Bazalonia whomwill also play in the Ausscheidungsfinale.

It is the performance of the Sorthern umpires who most recently took charge of the Bazalonia vs. North Chicanan match that has kicked up the larger storm however after Sé Ó Maolchathail, one of a four strong team of Sorthern 'field umpires' was overheard saying to colleague Alice Tully “You don't think anyone's noticed we've no idea what we're doing do you?”

Somewhat surprisingly despite their apparent lack of knowledge of the sport it seems very few people had noticed. Despite some arguably questionable decisions by the crew of umpires reports of matches officiated by them make no mention of poor performances by them.

William Cooper, a member of the officiating team admitted that the group lacked knowledge of the sport saying, “I think it's fair to say we had little to no idea what the rules of the sport were, or even what the sport is. Who are these mythical Australians who invented a code of football for example? And if they're Anglophone as we've been led to believe why has this competition got a Garmanic name?”

“We've also noticed that the sport has a lot of similarities to Bazalonian Rules Football, but even they couldn't typo Bazalonian as Australian surely? In the end we just decided to do it on the fly and work it out as we go along, and I think it's fair to say that that has worked out reasonably well.”

Cooper also noted that from what he'd seen of Wollongo Wallabies performances they'd been trying a similar tactic but that their execution of it had “to date been woeful to an extant that can only be described as slani”.
Last edited by Sorthern Northland on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorthern Football League, 2058 season MDs 1-9 MDs 10-19 MDs 20-29 MDs 30-38
Sorthern Northland wiki

World Paint Drying Champions!

<Mytannion> CC, I've watched the ESPN college thingy
<Mytannion> can't remember which college they follow but it is still interesting
<CC> what are you babbling about?

Nitrome Island
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Eh? 250-3 you say?

Postby Nitrome Island » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:46 am

Er... Nitrome Island beat the life out of Wollongo Wallabies yesterday on an outstanding score of 250-3. The rainbow boys played with a suspicious level of skill that resulted in them being drug tested 10 extra times more than the standard 2 in disbelief. Gerg Smith alone scored 10.5 and Joachim Stelmach 8.9. Equaly surprising was the standrad of the defense who did not let the opponents score in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters. This now puts Nitrome Island level first on points as The Babbage Islands and North Chicanan but 1st on point difference. After the tests came back negative for banned substances the manager had this to say. ''Hopefully we can play the same way against the other teams. How did they do that?'' And I replied ''Who knows.''

(OOC: :blink: Is right. But any way... Yay! :clap: :lol:
Where the hell am I? Who are you? Who am I? Kangaroo's? Where? B*stards.

Commerce Heights
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:20 am

Matchday 9

Nitrome Island 33.13.211 def. Bazalonia 15.2.92
Wollongo Wallabies 13.7.85 def. North Chicanan 4.24.48
The Babbage Islands 23.33.171 def. Lontorika 15.3.93

1 Nitrome Island 9 7 0 2 1256 520 241.5 28
2 The Babbage Islands 9 7 0 2 965 680 141.9 28
3 North Chicanan 9 6 0 3 930 662 140.5 24
4 Lontorika 9 3 0 6 679 956 71.0 12 Ausscheidungsfinale
5 Bazalonia 9 2 0 7 637 1034 61.6 8 Ausscheidungsfinale
6 Wollongo Wallabies 9 2 0 7 614 1229 50.0 8 Ausscheidungsfinale

Nitrome Island has not yet qualified for the Qualifikationsfinale, as a 250–3 defeat to North Chicanan and a Babbage Islands win or draw would be sufficient to put them in third place. :P

Nitrome Island
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nitrome Island » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:16 am

True. But I hope not. This is the best i've ever done in any sporting event rl or on Ns. Anyway i wasn't trying to brag im just a happy person. Thats all my yay ment.
Where the hell am I? Who are you? Who am I? Kangaroo's? Where? B*stards.

Commerce Heights
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Weltmeisterschaft sends LFL ratings spiralling down
MELBIN—Lontorikanischer Sportbund officials will be left to rue their decision to organise the world’s first championship in Lontorikan football, the Australian-Football-Weltmeisterschaft, as the tournament has apparently revealed to the Lontorikan public that its beloved footballers aren’t all that great.

Cumulative audiovisual ratings for the Lontorikanische Football-Liga are less than half of what they were at this time last year, with most of the discrepancy coming in the wake of the LSB’s 115-point defeat at the Melbin Oval to the Babbage Islands, in which die Doppeladler failed to score a goal. Furthermore, according to the data compiled by AT Media Research, a greater percentage of those who watch the league now do so on demand rather than live, an indication that the sport is shifting in Paripana from a popular topic of social gathering and discussion to a niche competition followed by the kind of people who enjoy roleplaying sporting events online.

Though the Weltmeisterschaft has been a resounding success in that it met the LSB’s probable goals—namely, to raise its own profile and the sport’s profile worldwide—these early symptoms of the domestic game’s demise could ultimately lead to the collapse of the LSB. As a soccer association alone, the LSB might not have anything to offer its clubs, who could enter negotiations with the behemoths of Capitalizt SLANI and Jasĭyun faster than you can say “Meisterschaftsfinale”. Having Lontorikan football in its portfolio lets the association brand itself as a truly local institution, with the willingness to spend boxfuls of gold on oddly-shaped stadia.

If Lontorikan football is to disappear from the Paripanan sporting map, there are dozens of other disciplines which could seize the opportunity to fill the void. Soccer is, of course, the default sport in Paripana, and a strong Élite League run by Medoria or another club could capture the imagination of fans from Cambridge to Metrewalk. Rumours abound that the Gim Sûn-suŋ Foundation is preparing to introduce its “One Rifle Per Child” biathlon training camps locally, and another gun-toting sport, which involves neither snow nor shooting, has recently been trialled by sentient ursines. Practitioners of cricket have long hoped to gain access to Lontorikan football’s oval fields, and a drop in revenue could force stadium owners to share their prized assets.

Lontorika closes out the Weltmeisterschaft round-robin at the Melbin Oval against Sorthern Northland’s Wollongo Wallabies, who currently sit in last place. With a win, they would most likely host Bazalonia in the Ausscheidungsfinale, but the results of the final three matches could place Lontorika anywhere from fourth to sixth.
Last edited by Commerce Heights on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commerce Heights
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:13 am

Matchday 10

Bazalonia 11.5.71 drew with The Babbage Islands 10.11.71
Lontorika 12.14.86 def. by Wollongo Wallabies 13.18.96
North Chicanan 18.13.121 def. Nitrome Island 8.21.69

1 The Babbage Islands 10 7 1 2 1036 751 137.9 30 Qualifikationsfinale
2 Nitrome Island 10 7 0 3 1325 641 206.7 28 Qualifikationsfinale

3 North Chicanan 10 7 0 3 1051 731 143.8 28 1. Ausscheidungsfinale
4 Lontorika 10 3 0 7 765 1052 72.7 12 2. Ausscheidungsfinale
5 Wollongo Wallabies 10 3 0 7 710 1315 54.0 12 2. Ausscheidungsfinale
6 Bazalonia 10 2 1 7 708 1105 64.1 10 1. Ausscheidungsfinale

Tuesday, 2011-06-28
1. Ausscheidungsfinale (First Elimination Final): North Chicanan–Bazalonia (umpires: Page/Tully/Cooper/Ó Maolchathail, SNO)
2. Ausscheidungsfinale (Second Elimination Final): Lontorika–Wollongo Wallabies (umpires: Kelly/Clarke, BAZ)

Wednesday, 2011-06-29
Qualifikationsfinale (Qualifying Final): The Babbage Islands–Nitrome Island (umpires: Lonnegan/Ovesham/Z’hail, NCH)
Halbfinale (Semi-Final): winner 1. Ausscheidungsfinale–winner 2. Ausscheidungsfinale (umpires: Ingram/Parker/Smith/Murray, TBI)

Commerce Heights
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:52 am

1. Ausscheidungsfinale
North Chicanan 24.26.170 def. Bazalonia 7.0.42

2. Ausscheidungsfinale
Lontorika 18.20.128 def. Wollongo Wallabies 17.13.115

Wednesday, 2011-06-29
Qualifikationsfinale (Qualifying Final): The Babbage Islands–Nitrome Island (umpires: Lonnegan/Ovesham/Z’hail, NCH)
Halbfinale (Semi-Final): North Chicanan–Lontorika (umpires: Ingram/Parker/Smith/Murray, TBI)

Commerce Heights
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:06 am

Qualifikationsfinale
The Babbage Islands 22.18.150 def. Nitrome Island 8.14.62

Halbfinale
North Chicanan 13.8.86 def. Lontorika 4.4.28

Thursday, 2011-06-30
Vorfinale (Preliminary Final): Nitrome Island–North Chicanan (umpires: Matthews/Evans/Bag Mi-yuŋ/Himmel, LTK)

Friday, 2011-07-01
Meisterschaftsfinale (Grand Final): The Babbage Islands–winner Vorfinale (at Tristiano Droga Arena, Aeropag, Paripana · umpires TBA)

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Founded: Mar 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:29 pm

Today's installment of The Big Three: McKnight on football like Reeves played; Reeves on football like McKnight never played; Wild on small ball and a big start.

TM: It's UICA time again for the footballers, and both Belgium FC and Dover City are sitting at home. Zarahemla All-Sport have a surprising and welcome free pass to the group stage of the TakilQuip Champions' Cup. Our other entry, Bloomfield National, are one playoff round tie away from joining them--although Noka Mariners may be a little too much to handle. But even if National lose their consolation prize is to parachute into the group stage of the Globe Cup. The Globe Cup, in turn, features some unfamiliar clubs that are getting noticed. Red Devils FC started at the very bottom of the draw and have won through three rounds of play to reach the eliminatory stage. Fylkir was one-and-done, a tough loss after 210 minutes and kicks from the mark. Championship Series winners and Islands Cup runners-up UMFK won't start action until the last stage before group play. It's nice to back into the tournament because All-Sport won the double.

PR: Australian rules football isn't played a lot here unmodified. But it is one of the two games from which our sport of international rules football was born. Most of our pros have the skill set to play the Aussie game, and an all-star team from FAIR are attempting to prove just that. Despite a rather humbling loss by nearly 100 points in an early match, our eighteen bounced back to win group play by a half-game and now stand one match away from the world championship. To hear them tell it, the hard part is the funky-shaped ball; inter rules use a round ball. But they like the wide-open goal mouth for six, no goalkeeper or crossbar to ruin good kicks. And the photo-journalist's friend, the mark, is common to both sports.

DW: Here's some free advice to the negotiators for Babbage Islands Baseball and the players: Enough already. Settle your differences, and do it quick. The University of Xianggang Mandarins threaten to make you irrelevant. Our college kids are playing magnificent ball in the World Baseball Classic, leading their qualifying group at the midway point after a tough 11-inning loss to world #7 Western cuba snapped their win streak at six. They're doing it with small ball, patient hitting, aggressive running, good discipline, smart play all-round. Roughly three-fourths of their roster are underclassmen, so the Big Nine are viewing their future with more than a little apprehension.
NS World Cup: Runner-up 55/59; Third place 50/52/58/62/63; Host 49/54/60.
Founding member, Global Cricket Federation; 2x Twenty20 world champions.
FactbookRedballer scorinator for test cricket
Community football scorinator and CFC v2.1 (rules)

Commerce Heights
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:18 am

Vorfinale
Nitrome Island 7.20.62 def. by North Chicanan 18.15.123

Friday, 2011-07-01 (replay Saturday if necessary)
Meisterschaftsfinale (Grand Final): The Babbage Islands–North Chicanan (at Tristiano Droga Arena, Aeropag, Paripana · umpires: Page/Tully/Cooper/Ó Maolchathail, SNO)

Commerce Heights
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Meisterschaftsfinale
The Babbage Islands 34.10.214 def. North Chicanan 11.10.76 (at Tristiano Droga Arena, Aeropag, Paripana)

Congratulations to The Babbage Islands, champions of the first Australian-Football-Weltmeisterschaft. May the scorinator tweaking begin. :P

(A ninety-minute power outage followed by an additional twelve hours without Internet access is loads of fun.)
Last edited by Commerce Heights on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Commerce Heights wrote:Congratulations to The Babbage Islands, champions of the first Australian-Football-Weltmeisterschaft. May the scorinator tweaking begin. :P

Already begun. I'd like to go over with you exactly how xkoranate handles RP+Rank. (I assume from result formatting that you used the xkoranate implementation of the Footba11er algorithm.) I think there is a significant difference at the margins with your formula vs. Footba11er's, and if I'm right it would tend to explain some of the wilder results. Of course, Aussie rules will magnify any tiny oddity because it has so many more scoring events than any of the other 10 sports in Footba11er.

Thank you for running.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'd like to plug the rank and RP numbers you actually used, or at least their end states, into both Footba11er and xkoranate here and look at a few thousand results. It may give me some insight. You have my email.

Also, an easy fix might be simply tweaking the mean and SD for the scoring events curve. But that will take testing as well. :)
Last edited by The Babbage Islands on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Commerce Heights
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 pm

The Babbage Islands wrote:I'd like to go over with you exactly how xkoranate handles RP+Rank. (I assume from result formatting that you used the xkoranate implementation of the Footba11er algorithm.) I think there is a significant difference at the margins with your formula vs. Footba11er's, and if I'm right it would tend to explain some of the wilder results.

No, I used the spreadsheet (reformatting the results myself, and using xkoranate’s table generator), precisely because the different rank calculation would make it an unfair test. Are you unable to reproduce this sort of results?

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:10 am

Commerce Heights wrote:
The Babbage Islands wrote:I'd like to go over with you exactly how xkoranate handles RP+Rank. (I assume from result formatting that you used the xkoranate implementation of the Footba11er algorithm.) I think there is a significant difference at the margins with your formula vs. Footba11er's, and if I'm right it would tend to explain some of the wilder results.

No, I used the spreadsheet (reformatting the results myself, and using xkoranate’s table generator), precisely because the different rank calculation would make it an unfair test. Are you unable to reproduce this sort of results?

I've never seen anything like the run of results that were present here. An occasional outlier, yes, but not the consistently dramatic numbers we've had. So if you worked with the spreadsheet as well, there must be something with inputs.

Were you using the 1.03 version of the spreadsheet? And, if so, what entry was used in cell B7?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports