NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend The Featured Region Followers

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Paffnia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

[PASSED] Commend The Featured Region Followers

Postby Paffnia » Mon May 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Ambassador Metyhap nervously entered the Security Council chamber. He'd been warned to stay well away from the place. After a moment's hesitation, though, he stepped up to the dais, draft in hand:

Commend The Featured Region Followers

The World Assembly,

NOTING that each day, one region is “featured,” whereby its World Factbook Entry is widely publicized among all nations.

APPLAUDING The Featured Region Followers, whose members tirelessly travel to the featured region, leaving personalized congratulatory messages for its residents on the Regional Message Board,

HONORING The Featured Region Followers for nobly doing this valuable service for over five years,

OBSERVING that the messages left by members of The Featured Region Followers are not meant as advertisements for their own region, nor are they tied to a specific religion or belief, but are instead simple and sincere expressions of congratulation,

APPRECIATING the fact that the contents of the World Factbook Entries of many featured regions are preserved on the Regional Message Board of The Featured Region Followers, thereby creating a historical record of said regions on the day they were featured,

PRAISING the dialogue, socialization, and gift exchanges that occur frequently when members of The Featured Region Followers arrive, often resulting in increased activity within the region,

RECOGNIZING that the dedication and friendliness of The Featured Region Followers exemplify the Security Council's goal of “spreading interregional peace and goodwill,”

Hereby COMMENDS The Featured Region Followers.

The World Assembly,

NOTING that each day, one of the world’s regions is “featured,”

APPLAUDING The Featured Region Followers, whose member nations tirelessly travel to the featured region every day, leaving personalized congratulatory messages for its residents on the Regional Message Board,

HONORING The Featured Region Followers for nobly doing this valuable service for over five years,

OBSERVING that the messages left by members of The Featured Region Followers are not meant as advertisements for their own region, nor are they tied to a specific religion or belief, but are instead simple and sincere expressions of congratulation,

APPRECIATING the fact that the contents of the World Factbook Entries of many featured regions are preserved on the Regional Message Board of The Featured Region Followers, thereby creating a historical record of said regions on the day they were featured,

PRAISING the dialogue, socialization, and gift exchanges that occur frequently when nations from The Featured Region Followers arrive, often resulting in increased activity within the region,

RECOLLECTING that part of the mission of the Security Council is “spreading interregional peace and goodwill,”

RECOGNIZING that the dedication and friendliness of The Featured Region Followers exemplify that goal,

Hereby COMMENDS The Featured Region Followers.

OOC: I hope this proposal works within Rule 4. Here's the relevant quote:
Compendium of Mod Rulings & General Advice within the SC wrote:Any term included within NationStates the game - eg. passwords, World Factbook Entries, founders, eject, 'black helicopters transporting nations between regions' - legal

So "traveling to" a region, "World Factbook Entries," and "Regional Message Board" should be okay.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:09 am, edited 10 times in total.
Former Delegate of 10000 Islands
Knight of TITO

WA Ambassador: Joakim Metyhap
Paffniac Factbook
Author, SC #93: Commend The Featured Region Followers, Issue #1479: Fares Fair?
Commended by SC #276

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon May 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Paffnia wrote:APPLAUDING The Featured Region Followers, whose members nations tirelessly travel to the featured region every day, leaving personalized congratulatory messages for its residents on the Regional Message Board,

Suggested change to the wording. Nations travelling to other regions is a bit dubious under Rule 4 - fudge it a little, and it works better.

The Great Destruction
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Destruction » Mon May 21, 2012 1:13 pm

Agreed

Paffnia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Mon May 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Edits made.
Knight of TITO

Paffniac Factbook
Commended by SC #276

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Mon May 21, 2012 1:24 pm

I would support this in every way if it was in conjunction with a repeal of Commend The Quote Of The Day (ahem hrmmmph cough cough aherrrmmm).

But I may support it anyway. ;) Nice job for a first draft.

Paffnia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Mon May 21, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks for the support; repealing Commend The Quote of the Day, however, is not my department. I will note, though, that of all the featured region congratulators out there, The Featured Regions Followers do it best and most deserve a commendation.
Knight of TITO

Paffniac Factbook
Commended by SC #276

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Mon May 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Paffnia wrote:Thanks for the support; repealing Commend The Quote of the Day, however, is not my department. I will note, though, that of all the featured region congratulators out there, The Featured Regions Followers do it best and most deserve a commendation.

No argument there. I would rather see the entire region commended as opposed to one nation who is lauded as doing something unique, when in all actuality TQOTD was only part of a group, and a lackluster, copy/paste member at that.

*returns to being bitter in the New 3WB*

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Tue May 22, 2012 12:12 pm

APPLAUDING The Featured Region Followers, whose members tirelessly travel to the featured region every day, leaving personalized congratulatory messages for its residents on the Regional Message Board,

Here is a lovely example of those messages, posted 6 hours from this post.
The Nomadic Land of L2
6 hours ago

congratulations :)

Wouldn't call messing up a regions RH noble but thats just me. I got a warning for it once :P
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Paffnia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Tue May 22, 2012 2:59 pm

My guess would be that 99% percent of the regions they visit don't mind the Regional Happenings being "messed up." I know I personally appreciated it when they came and visited XKI when it was featured, and doubtless a lot of other nations feel the same way.

As for the content of the messages they leave, they've been at it for five years--sometimes the messages are just a simple "Congrats!" Each time they visit, you can't expect a Shakespearean sonnet (Though "Shall I compare thy region to a summer's day?" would be an interesting poem).

Anyways, I've added a new first clause describing what it means to be featured. Does it pass Rule 4?
Paffnia wrote:NOTING that each day, one region is “featured,” whereby its World Factbook Entry is widely publicized to the nations of the world.
Last edited by Paffnia on Tue May 22, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knight of TITO

Paffniac Factbook
Commended by SC #276

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Wed May 23, 2012 2:39 am

My guess would be that 99% percent of the regions they visit don't mind the Regional Happenings being "messed up." I know I personally appreciated it when they came and visited XKI when it was featured, and doubtless a lot of other nations feel the same way.

Proof and written statements from regions they've visited or your making it up :P
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Jovian Empire
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 12, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Jovian Empire » Wed May 23, 2012 12:06 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:

Proof and written statements from regions they've visited or your making it up :P

Well, as the founder of Outer Planets, I welcomed The Featured Region Followers. Can't speak for the other 98%. :p :lol:

Aa Megami-sama
Lobbyist

Founded: May 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Aa Megami-sama » Sat May 26, 2012 2:57 am

*rises in support*

:clap:

Novus Niciae
Negotiator

Founded: May 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus Niciae » Wed May 30, 2012 5:29 am

They sound like a worthy candidate for a commendation.
For: Free thought, 2 state solution for Israel, democracy, playing the game.
Against: Totalitarianism, Theocracy, Slavery, Playing the system
Tech Level: FT

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Wed May 30, 2012 2:31 pm

I would only consider supporting if there was a repeal of "Commend The Quote Of The Day".

I never supported the TQotD commendation in the first place, with most of my reservations lying on the fact that while the region was a somewhat valuable entity in this game, TQotD was only but a small piece. Further, I believe that TQotD's quotes were just pulled off a website that randomly generated quote somewhere on the Internet.

I feel somewhat vindicated as TQotD has CTE in the meantime, and their presence in this game has faded into irrelevancy.

My point is that I really cannot support two commendations relating to that region, although this one is more commendation worthy than the last. I would be AGAINST this at least until Skyrim sorted out his repeal, or someone else (Paffnia?) took the lead.
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Paffnia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Thu May 31, 2012 4:26 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:

Okay, a sampling:

Errinundera wrote:On behalf of the nations of Forest we welcome all travel-weary nations to our, until now, peaceful region. Don't worry the peace has only been broken by the sound of partying. Here's to a smashing time for all!

Forest - http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=1254949

Redonersa wrote:How exciting! I'm famous now!

Just kidding.

Welcome everybody! I hope you enjoy it here in Skyrim!

Skyrim - http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=1263590

Kindjal wrote:...The World Factbook Entry was written by Eaghenn and I simply found it appropriate as most nations that come here don't speak french and have no idea what Groland is.
Anyway, thanks for visiting!

Groland - http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=1253146

-Hellkite- wrote:Thank you both for you kind words and May Shai-hulud clear the path before you...

Dune - http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=1182142

The 11th Doctor Who wrote:You're all welcome here. And it's good to have been featured! Sorry I slipped away for a bit. Time Lord stuff, important, wouldn't wait, I'm sure you all understand. Now then, let's see ...

First, a big welcome to everyone...

Tardis - http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=1173318

Luna Amore wrote:Thanks to everyone for the messages. Cupcakes to all. Or if that's not your thing, I've got some booze too...

Free Thought - http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=1131451

Anyways, thanks to the Jovian Empire, Aa Megami-sama, Novus Niciae, and all others who support this resolution.

@Eist: I myself will not be taking the lead on that repeal. Though I would likely personally support a repeal authored by someone else, I'm not the one to do it. TFRF's messages are not quotes ripped off the Internet, though. In fact, Warzone Codger, a nation recently commended for innovatively bringing activity to often otherwise lifeless regions of NS (the Warzones), recently revealed he has a puppet in TFRF, Ladermuppets, that also innovatively brings activity to often otherwise lifeless regions of NS (featured regions) (http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=1406312). Thus, TFRF are the best of the best. That other commendation shouldn't be a roadblock for recognizing true commendation-worthy regions.
Knight of TITO

Paffniac Factbook
Commended by SC #276

Eist
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Thu May 31, 2012 6:21 pm

I just wish that Featured Regions had a greater purpose than a bunch of nations going around posting things from the mildly interesting to the completely inane.

Clearly I do not idolise The Featured Region Followers, but I can be convinced that they are commendation worthy, but surely not when TQoD was in my mind not commendation worthy but was commended anyway, then they stopped posting, then they CTE. Quite frankly, there are many players that have put hard work into this game for years and have had a lasting and visible impact that have not been recognised, over the flash that was TQoD.

Codger was commended for something completely separate from his Featured Region work. For me, Codger's work in the Warzones far outshines his, and QotD's, work in the Featured Regions.

Skyrim has had forever to submit his repeal (he's already submitted it once? I can't remember.) He doesn't have a monopoly on a repeal of "Commend The Quote Of The Day".

In summary, your hands are not tied to a repeal of a undeserving commendation, Codger, unlike TQoD, was not commended for his work in the Featured Regions, and if The Featured Region Followers should get a commendation, I cannot reconcile it next to TQoD's.
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Paffnia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Thu May 31, 2012 7:32 pm

Eist wrote:a bunch of nations going around posting things from the mildly interesting to the completely inane.

Pretty much describes all of NS :p

I bring up Codger only to point out the talent behind TFRF, as compared to the other featured region congratulators.

This is my first SC resolution, and I only intend to pass one at a time. The whole Nazi Europe thing was perhaps big enough for multiple, coordinated SC resolutions, but not this. You are more than welcome to write a repeal, Eist, but I have no plans to. I still fail to see why one arguably undeserved commendation that will likely be repealed down the road should prevent a much more deserved commendation from passing right now.
Knight of TITO

Paffniac Factbook
Commended by SC #276

Eist
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Thu May 31, 2012 8:50 pm

Paffnia wrote:I still fail to see why one arguably undeserved commendation that will likely be repealed down the road should prevent a much more deserved commendation from passing right now.

I don't think it will be repealed; there is little impetus as evidenced by the movement so far. I think my problem is that QoTD embodied what the FRF was to such an extent that QoTD was commended instead of the (more) rightful FRF as a whole. I think it was a really silly move. Therefore, for me to even contemplate a FRF commendation, I think the erroneous one should be removed first.

Basically,the FRF region already has a commendation, it just happens to be placed upon the undeserving and CTE QoTD. I feel bad for the other FRF members, they deserve some sort of credit, for sure, but I think FRF shouldn't really get what is essentially two commendations.

Paffnia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Eist wrote:Therefore, for me to even contemplate a FRF commendation, I think the erroneous one should be removed first.

I'm of the mindset that having a commendation of TFRF is actually a good first step to repealing Commend TQotD--the repeal could mention that a commendation of an individual nation within an already commended group is unnecessary. That line of attack won't work unless TFRF is commended.
Knight of TITO

Paffniac Factbook
Commended by SC #276

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:44 pm

I've revived my repeal proposal, if this is still an active proposal. In conjunction, I think the two would work well together.

//Not advertising in another thread

Paffnia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:10 pm

No problem. This is still very much an active proposal, but submission may have to wait a few weeks until I get the requisite time for a proper campaign. Everyone should feel free to critique/edit it until then.
Knight of TITO

Paffniac Factbook
Commended by SC #276

Paffnia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Well, the repeal of "Commend TQotD" failed, but I still plan on submitting this early next month. Critique welcomed.
Knight of TITO

Paffniac Factbook
Commended by SC #276

Paffnia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:39 pm

Submitted! Delegates, please approve: http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vie ... 1341288082
Knight of TITO

Paffniac Factbook
Commended by SC #276

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:01 am

Sadly, I supported the repeal of the TQOTD commendation for the same reason I'm not supporting this commendation. The action for which the region is being commended does not seem very commendation-worthy.

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

The Great Destruction
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Destruction » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:43 am

Damanucus wrote:
The action for which the region is being commended does not seem very commendation-worthy.
I read this kind of fluff all the time. Quite frankly I'm tired of it. If it were up to nations like this no region/nation would ever get commended or condemned. Instead of just saying that this region is not commendation worthy, why don't you try to reason out why you feel that way? There is no reason this nation or any other nation should take your word for it. If you have no premises, how can you draw that conclusion?

I will tell you why this region should be commended!

While it is true that what this region does is not unique, they are, however, the best. With a single-minded determination to congratulate every featured region they unfailingly visit every region regardless of creed or dogma, and leave messages of thanks, congratualtions and hope. It is not that they are performing this task, but that they do it out of a sense of charity, peace, and good will that gets extended to everyone, equally. That is called integrity. As far as I am concerned, there is no better reason to commend a region than for a concerted effort at making this world a happier, friendlier place. In fact The Featured Region Followers probably deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.

Furthermore:
Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:
I would support this in every way if it was in conjunction with a repeal of Commend The Quote Of The Day (ahem hrmmmph cough cough aherrrmmm).
What kind of slimy diplomat tries to put a rider clause on a commendation? You admitted yourself that this region was worthy of commendation. That, in and of itself, should be enough for support. It should not depend on whether or not your bill is supported nor should that be discussed here.

As for the rest of you:
TQod is not part of this issue. This has come dangerously close to high-jacking this thread. Discuss TQoD in another thread please.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives