NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Liberate Region of Reunited Muslim States

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
User avatar
Fischistan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1384
Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Liberate Region of Reunited Muslim States

Postby Fischistan » Tue May 22, 2012 1:46 pm

yeah yeah yeah, RORMS has been invisible pworded, and 80 something nations banned. time to Liberate.
The Security Council,

AWARE that Region of Reunited Muslim States was a peaceful region of about 120 nations with 13 endorsements on the delegate,

NOTING that on 29 April of 2012, the nation of [nation=short+noflag]Talgud[/nation] seized the delegacy of the region Region of Reunited Muslim States, also known as RORMS,

UNDERSTANDING that Talgud is a member-nation of the notorious raider region The Black Riders, which has a history of leaving a large, damaging footprint on the regions it invades, often holding a region for more than a week at a time, closing all of the region's embassies, and banning many natives,

COGNIZANT of the fact that Talgud has closed all 111 embassies that RORMS had at the time of the invasion, and established an embassy with The Black Riders in that region, a symbolic move to alienate RORMS from the rest of the world,

SADDENED by the fact that Talgud has banned over 80 nations from RORMS, many of which are innocent natives uninvolved with the invasion,

REALISING that an invisible password has been put on RORMS, which bars any ejected natives from re-entering their home region,

AWARE that these natives have expressed their desire to return to their region and have subsequently gathered in the region of RORMS,

CONCLUDING that if the Security Council does not immediately take swift and forceful action, RORMS will remain a colony of the Black Riders,

HEREBY Liberates Region of Reunited Muslim States.
Co-authored by [nation=short]Mahaj[/nation]
Last edited by Goobergunchia on Sun May 27, 2012 9:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

User avatar
Drop Your Pants
Minister
 
Posts: 3485
Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Drop Your Pants » Tue May 22, 2012 1:56 pm

2 things strike me right away.

How many of the banned nations are defender nations? 80 natives seems extreme even for the most enthusiastic raider.

When did TBR get an empire?
Last edited by Drop Your Pants on Tue May 22, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happily oblivious to NS Drama

User avatar
Mahaj
Senator
 
Posts: 4110
Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue May 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:2 things strike me right away.

How many of the banned nations are defender nations? 80 natives seems extreme even for the most enthusiastic raider.

When did TBR get an empire?

Yeah the actual count is 64 or more.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

User avatar
Fischistan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1384
Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fischistan » Tue May 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:2 things strike me right away.

How many of the banned nations are defender nations? 80 natives seems extreme even for the most enthusiastic raider.

When did TBR get an empire?

In the UDL update I think it said 50 natives, which is still a lot. And the region was passworded like 3 hours ago, so 3 hours ago, I guess :P
I may take that part out.
Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

User avatar
Mahaj
Senator
 
Posts: 4110
Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue May 22, 2012 2:00 pm

The Security Council,

AWARE that Region of Reunited Muslim States was a peaceful region of about 120 nations with 13 endorsements on the delegate,

NOTING that on 29 April of 2012, the nation of [nation=short+noflag]Talgud[/nation] seized the delegacy of the region Region of Reunited Muslim States, also known as RORMS,

UNDERSTANDING that Talgud is a member-nation of the notorious raider region The Black Riders, which has a history of leaving a large, damaging footprint on the regions it invades, often closing all of its embassies and banning natives of the region,

COGNIZANT of the fact that Talgud has closed all 111 embassies that RORMS had at the time of the invasion, and established an embassy with The Black Riders in that region, a symbolic move to alienate RORMS from the rest of the world,

SADDENED by the fact that Talgud has banned over 80 nations from RORMS, many of which are natives of the region that did nothing to incur this griefing,

REALISING that an invisible password has been put on RORMS, which bars any ejected natives from re-entering their home region,

AWARE that these natives have expressed their desire to return to their region and have subsequently gathered in the region of RORMS,

CONCLUDING that if the Security Council does not immediately take swift and forceful action, RORMS will remain a colony of the Black Riders,

HEREBY Liberates Region of Reunited Muslim States.


some changes made.
Last edited by Mahaj on Tue May 22, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

User avatar
Hesse
Envoy
 
Posts: 234
Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hesse » Tue May 22, 2012 4:29 pm

This isn't necessary. The region of discussion was, at one point, medium-sized, however, what went on in the region before the invasion? Maybe an election here or there, some petty arguments, and some discussions that had no meaning. Your typical region, nothing special.

So, what makes this region so special from the others, I ask?

User avatar
Fischistan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1384
Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fischistan » Tue May 22, 2012 4:34 pm

Hesse wrote:This isn't necessary. The region of discussion was, at one point, medium-sized, however, what went on in the region before the invasion? Maybe an election here or there, some petty arguments, and some discussions that had no meaning. Your typical region, nothing special.

So, what makes this region so special from the others, I ask?

It was a large region and very active.
Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

User avatar
Tim-Opolis
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5981
Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Tue May 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Fischistan wrote:
Hesse wrote:This isn't necessary. The region of discussion was, at one point, medium-sized, however, what went on in the region before the invasion? Maybe an election here or there, some petty arguments, and some discussions that had no meaning. Your typical region, nothing special.

So, what makes this region so special from the others, I ask?

It was a large region and very active.


Do these natives really deserve their region back?

I mean have you seen some of the stuff they posted on the RMB?

As well as that. I really wish I could post the IRC of the "treaty talk" we had with them.
Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
[11:16:10] <@Koth> tim is a loose cannon cop on the edge who doesn't play by the rules

User avatar
Socialist Ecuador
Diplomat
 
Posts: 846
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist Ecuador » Tue May 22, 2012 4:49 pm

Eh, they already have their new region all in place and everything.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.44
“The reason I don’t worry about society is, nineteen people knocked down two buildings and killed thousands. Hundreds of people ran into those buildings to save them. I’ll take those odds every fucking day.” - Jon Stewart

User avatar
Tim-Opolis
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5981
Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Tue May 22, 2012 5:22 pm

So you'd support Liberating RORMS?

But do you know what the natives of RORMS really believe in?

Terrorism:
Quote from the RMB of Region of Reunited Muslim States by Greater Islamic empire of Pakistan, original founder of RORMS.
"you all take the micky out of our religion, then you wonder why we come and bomb your houses and shoot your troops. Atleast now i know who to support."

Intolerance:
Former Resident North Arabia declared that "israel isnt a real country"on the RORMS RMB.

Are these the values you believe in? Say NO to Liberate Region of reunited muslim states
Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
[11:16:10] <@Koth> tim is a loose cannon cop on the edge who doesn't play by the rules

User avatar
Fischistan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1384
Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fischistan » Tue May 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Tim-Opolis wrote:So you'd support Liberating RORMS?

But do you know what the natives of RORMS really believe in?

Terrorism:
Quote from the RMB of Region of Reunited Muslim States by Greater Islamic empire of Pakistan, original founder of RORMS.
"you all take the micky out of our religion, then you wonder why we come and bomb your houses and shoot your troops. Atleast now i know who to support."

US soldiers burned entire forests to the ground with napalm in Vietnam, and we shoot plenty of foreign soldiers.
Intolerance:
Former Resident North Arabia declared that "israel isnt a real country"on the RORMS RMB.

Are these the values you believe in? Say NO to Liberate Region of reunited muslim states

I could agree Palestine should have governing powers over the land that is now referred to as Israel.
Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

User avatar
Goobergunchia
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 1623
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Goobergunchia » Tue May 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Tim-Opolis wrote:I mean have you seen some of the stuff they posted on the RMB?


Perhaps you could link said RMB posts here?
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
NSwiki Administrator
Priest of the Council of Ma'at, Osiris
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Nasicournian Officer
IRC: Goobergunch @ irc.esper.net or irc.gamesurge.net
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Member, UNOG
Timelines: Historical GA SC
Rules: GA SC
NS Forum Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See The One-Stop Rules Shop.
Who are the mods? See the All About Moderators sticky.

User avatar
SunRawr
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1209
Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SunRawr » Tue May 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:
Tim-Opolis wrote:I mean have you seen some of the stuff they posted on the RMB?


Perhaps you could link said RMB posts here?

As well as realize that the natives are not the only ones who have made inflammatory comments.

User avatar
A Million Voices
Envoy
 
Posts: 275
Founded: Feb 07, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby A Million Voices » Tue May 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Because the region's native population has been all but wiped out, I don't know if this liberation will accomplish much.
Silencing an opponent is not the same as converting him.

User avatar
Fischistan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1384
Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fischistan » Tue May 22, 2012 7:26 pm

A Million Voices wrote:Because the region's native population has been all but wiped out, I don't know if this liberation will accomplish much.

It will allow them to return home.
Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

User avatar
Mahaj
Senator
 
Posts: 4110
Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue May 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Tim-Opolis wrote:So you'd support Liberating RORMS?

But do you know what the natives of RORMS really believe in?

Terrorism:
Quote from the RMB of Region of Reunited Muslim States by Greater Islamic empire of Pakistan, original founder of RORMS.
"you all take the micky out of our religion, then you wonder why we come and bomb your houses and shoot your troops. Atleast now i know who to support."

Intolerance:
Former Resident North Arabia declared that "israel isnt a real country"on the RORMS RMB.

Are these the values you believe in? Say NO to Liberate Region of reunited muslim states

Well, sure, if you flame them and bait them first, its really easy to get a response that looks great for you out of context. Its still really weak and stupid of you though.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

User avatar
SunRawr
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1209
Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SunRawr » Tue May 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Fischistan wrote:
A Million Voices wrote:Because the region's native population has been all but wiped out, I don't know if this liberation will accomplish much.

It will allow them to return home.

The Liberation passing will guarantee that? You and I both know that isn't true.


EDIT:
Tim, that post looked like a horribly slanted commercial for a political candidate. It almost made me want to support the Lib. Almost.
Last edited by SunRawr on Tue May 22, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Mallorea and Riva
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 9248
Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue May 22, 2012 8:17 pm

SunRawr wrote:
Fischistan wrote:It will allow them to return home.

The Liberation passing will guarantee that? You and I both know that isn't true.

It doesn't even guarantee that the region won't be refounded.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Major and Field Marshal of The Black Hawks
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Jakker, Tal, and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: "I don't think chatting with someone over the Internet about casual topics falls under faithful or unfaithful. :<"

User avatar
Xanthal
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1026
Founded: Apr 16, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Xanthal » Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 pm

Time and again we see argument and counterargument lobbed across the table on Liberations regarding what might or might not happen if the Liberation is or is not passed. Maybe the invaders will leave, maybe the natives won't come back, maybe defenders will hijack the region. The only certainty is the present: a group has taken possession of a region that does not belong to them, and abridged the rights of those who called it home. Nobody has ever said Liberation was anything but a blunt and clumsy instrument, but it is the only tool the WA has at its disposal, and giving Natives a chance at reclaiming what is theirs is preferable to leaving a region in the hands of usurpers without opposition.

This is not a question of who has a higher moral claim, or which group is more politically agreeable, it is a question of one party seizing something by force that belonged to another. Whether the raided region is inhabited by a couple barely-active hermits or a bastion of activity, home to delightful and inoffensive nations or genocidal lunatics, it is theirs. When a raiding group steps beyond planting a flag, having a bit of a laugh, and moving on to consolidating power and abusing natives, they become not just invaders but occupiers. They become the enemy of every Founderless region because we all know that but for a prejudice, an association, a whim- it could have been us facing humiliation and displacement.

I've said it before and I will say it again; raiders and defenders play in our backyards. If they can be good guests they'll often be tolerated, even welcomed. If they start tearing up the lawn and moving into the house, though, they should expect no less than that we use every method available to push them out. Better to risk all the problems Liberation can bring for a chance at regaining control than leave an occupying force in place unchallenged. As far as Xanthal is concerned, any other approach to these scenarios only obfuscates the real issue.
General Assembly IC
Security Council OOC

User avatar
Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1403
Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Tue May 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Oh please, as if any region can ever be said to belong to a group of players. Regions belong to those who can control them. No authority in this matter is higher than that of the game mechanics. The liberation proposal does nothing to transfer ownership of a region from one party to another. It simply restricts the power of the founder and delegate (whoever they may be!) to password their region, and therefore puts the region less firmly under their control.

If you oppose the current occupants (natives?) of the region, then it makes sense to support this resolution. But don't pretend it is giving the region back to its "rightful owners," as if there were some standard of ownership more authoritative than that of who occupies the current WA Delegate and Founder positions.
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

User avatar
Xanthal
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1026
Founded: Apr 16, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Xanthal » Tue May 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Oh please, as if any region can ever be said to belong to a group of players. Regions belong to those who can control them. No authority in this matter is higher than that of the game mechanics. The liberation proposal does nothing to transfer ownership of a region from one party to another. It simply restricts the power of the founder and delegate (whoever they may be!) to password their region, and therefore puts the region less firmly under their control.

If you oppose the current occupants (natives?) of the region, then it makes sense to support this resolution. But don't pretend it is giving the region back to its "rightful owners," as if there were some standard of ownership more authoritative than that of who occupies the current WA Delegate and Founder positions.

Whether you believe that is your business, but it is a sentiment born of self-justification by those who blemish the good name of those many raiders which manage to have fun without abusing others in the process.
General Assembly IC
Security Council OOC

User avatar
SunRawr
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1209
Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SunRawr » Tue May 22, 2012 11:20 pm

Xanthal wrote:Whether you believe that is your business, but it is a sentiment born of self-justification by those who blemish the good name of those many raiders which manage to have fun without abusing others in the process.

I think it is pretty safe to say that what he said represents the feelings of the majority of today's active raiders. Those so-called natives have no more right to be there than you, me, or my aunt Stacie.

User avatar
Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1403
Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Tue May 22, 2012 11:46 pm

Xanthal wrote:
Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Oh please, as if any region can ever be said to belong to a group of players. Regions belong to those who can control them. No authority in this matter is higher than that of the game mechanics. The liberation proposal does nothing to transfer ownership of a region from one party to another. It simply restricts the power of the founder and delegate (whoever they may be!) to password their region, and therefore puts the region less firmly under their control.

If you oppose the current occupants (natives?) of the region, then it makes sense to support this resolution. But don't pretend it is giving the region back to its "rightful owners," as if there were some standard of ownership more authoritative than that of who occupies the current WA Delegate and Founder positions.

Whether you believe that is your business, but it is a sentiment born of self-justification by those who blemish the good name of those many raiders which manage to have fun without abusing others in the process.

Whatever the birthplace of the sentiment, it is one rooted in the only definition of regional ownership recognized by NationStates, and in the game mechanics which enforce that definition.
Last edited by Crushing Our Enemies on Tue May 22, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

User avatar
Xanthal
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1026
Founded: Apr 16, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Xanthal » Tue May 22, 2012 11:56 pm

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Whatever the birthplace of the sentiment, it is one rooted in the only definition of regional ownership recognized by NationStates, and in the game mechanics which enforce that definition.

Those same game mechanics also give us the tools to dislodge the forces of raiders who abuse those mechanics in the eyes of the majority. If the power to hold a region is all that matters and the ability to do so is all the justification you need, then by your own admission what you or I say here is of no consequence, unless you really think either of us is likely to change the outcome of the forthcoming vote. Therefore I suggest we let the game mechanics you tout as the ultimate authority on the subject do their part and see who prevails.
General Assembly IC
Security Council OOC

User avatar
Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1403
Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Wed May 23, 2012 12:15 am

Certainly! I just wanted you to admit that this:

Xanthal wrote:This is not a question of who has a higher moral claim, or which group is more politically agreeable, it is a question of one party seizing something by force that belonged to another. Whether the raided region is inhabited by a couple barely-active hermits or a bastion of activity, home to delightful and inoffensive nations or genocidal lunatics, it is theirs. When a raiding group steps beyond planting a flag, having a bit of a laugh, and moving on to consolidating power and abusing natives, they become not just invaders but occupiers. They become the enemy of every Founderless region because we all know that but for a prejudice, an association, a whim- it could have been us facing humiliation and displacement.


is a load of crap.
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Marxist Germany

Advertisement

Remove ads