NATION

PASSWORD

Total War: Rule Britannia, literally.

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favorite Thrones of Britannia Faction?

The Anglo-Saxons
37%
The Welsh Kingdoms
21%
The Gaels
16%
The Great Viking Army
15%
The Viking Sea Kings
11%

Total votes : 75

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:41 am

Recently dled what I think is the most recent Rome mod, Roma Serructum II. Having great fun with it, and the various options for conquered settlements are pretty good.

Dunno if I want to dl some newer Med II mods, or even Empire ones (although I've had problems with some Empire mods *cough*Total Factions*cough*). Suggestions for good ones?
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:46 am

Scotland is pretty hardcore in Medieval 2.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:06 am

Tagmatium wrote:Scotland is pretty hardcore in Medieval 2.

Fucking pikes how do they work!?

Khwarezmia
Secretary

Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Khwarezmia » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:07 am

Shogun 1: Can't remember. Warrior Monks and No Dachi were awesome.
Shogun 1 expansion: the master samurai who was a single unit!
Medieval 1: the English.
Medieval 1 expansion: Wales (because they had Cornovia, and thus Cornwall could conquer Britain).
Never owned Rome.
Medieval 2: the English, predictably.
Medieval 2 Kingdoms: Knights Templar, because their Heavy Spearmen/Heavy Infantry perfectly fit my defensive Crécy style 'sit on the biggest hill and wait' tactic.
Empire: Ottomans - Rather enjoyed sailing halfway around the globe to sack the American's capital because they declared war (for no apparent logic). Best bit is turning the volume up during sea battles and listening to a ship-of-line open fire.
Never played Napoleon.
Shogun 2: Can't remember - the far east faction.

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:30 am

Cromarty wrote:Recently dled what I think is the most recent Rome mod, Roma Serructum II. Having great fun with it, and the various options for conquered settlements are pretty good.

Dunno if I want to dl some newer Med II mods, or even Empire ones (although I've had problems with some Empire mods *cough*Total Factions*cough*). Suggestions for good ones?

I suggest darthmod for total war empire.
it totally revamps the whole game, adding hundreds of units, having more realistic gunfire effects (ie a volley of musket fire at longest range does little damage, a volley at close range decimates units), cannons have proper artillery ranges that actually make them more useful.
Tons and tons of really useful changes made in that mod. oh and theres the option to increase unit sizes to like 400 men. better smoke effects, etc etc i really liked it.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:19 am

Genivaria wrote:

Fucking pikes how do they work!?

Pointy end towards enemy usually helps.

Massed pike formations are pretty hardcore, along with the noble archers or whatever they were called.

Last time I played the Scottish, I ended up with a vast trading empire, covering Britain, the west and north coasts of France, southern Spain, Cuba and a few of the Mediterranean islands. I traded with everyone and made a vast sum of money every turn.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:56 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Genivaria wrote:You just have to stay calm and assess the situation. Its like speed chess.
My newest tactic playing as Carthage is to stretch out my infantry line and put then in defensive mode.
Then wait until the enemy army crashes into my line.
Then I bring out my elephants on the side and run them down the enemy line like a giant bowling ball. :lol2:
THAT is satisfying to see.

Urgh. I've never been able to utilize any sort of cavalry, horse or otherwise. It's my one weakness.

With Rome and Medieval it's pretty hard not to utilize it it's an unstoppable force.

upgraded knights usually go through static heavy infantry when I play :v

It was so awful in Empire though seriously, if you properly committed to an attack with cavalry you just about destroyed the entire unit.

The archers are p. good.

When I first got it I beat a friend online using Scotland when he had the HRE.

My formation and tactics were ridiculous, maybe I caught him off guard.
Last edited by Oterro on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Zersium
Minister

Founded: Jul 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zersium » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:25 am

Oterro wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Urgh. I've never been able to utilize any sort of cavalry, horse or otherwise. It's my one weakness.

With Rome and Medieval it's pretty hard not to utilize it it's an unstoppable force.

It was so awful in Empire though seriously, if you properly committed to an attack with cavalry you just about destroyed the entire unit.

The archers are p. good.

When I first got it I beat a friend online using Scotland when he had the HRE.

My formation and tactics were ridiculous, maybe I caught him off guard.

Probably because HRE are more heavy (such as Gothic Knights) whilst Scotland has more lighter harassment troops (and judging from Genghis Khan we know how bad those can be.)

In Rome, someone told me upgraded Urban Cohorts dominated the entire map, Is that true? are they godlike in Vanilla Rome?

Cromarty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:50 am

They are very powerful in it.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
Кромартий

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 am

Cromarty wrote:They are very powerful in it.

Who are?

Cromarty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:45 am

Genivaria wrote:
Cromarty wrote:They are very powerful in it.

Who are?

Urban Cohorts.
Кромартий

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:58 am

Cromarty wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Who are?

Urban Cohorts.

Ah, yes.
One of my favorite things to do with Roman infantry is to put them in defensive mode and let the enemy tire themselves out.
When only a few of your men in the unit are fighting and the unit isn't moving while the enemy unit is constantly trying to move forward, the enemy tires out much faster.
Last edited by Genivaria on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cromarty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Cromarty wrote:Urban Cohorts.

Ah, yes.

I prefer Legionary First Cohorts :P
Кромартий

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Cromarty wrote:Urban Cohorts.

Ah, yes.
One of my favorite things to do with Roman infantry is to put them in defensive mode and let the enemy tire themselves out.
When only a few of your men in the unit are fighting and the unit isn't moving while the enemy unit is constantly trying to move forward, the enemy tires out much faster.

That's pretty much the only acceptable tactic in any TW game I've ever played ever.

So long as you have cavalry and or artillery the only thing you need to do is line up and make them charging, to which 9/10 times you'll win.

It's even easier with Rome, the pila slaughter pretty much everything en masse.

Exception being Empire and occasionally Medieval. The former wherein you could bring many battles to a close more spritely when fixing bayonets and running down a disheartened enemy.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:18 pm

I've still got a soft spot for the original Medieval.

After playing Rome, Barbarian Invasion, Medieval 2 and Empire, I've always been left with the feeling that the orginal Medieval's battles were just slightly more epic than any of the newer ones.

Also, sprites whaling on each other using overhead swings of halberds was funny as.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Norstal wrote:Was thinking the same thing. I'll play you over the weekend if you like.

Though I'm still new at it. Only won 2/4 games.

Can't play until 2 AM this weekend. I'll be at a friend's house who has limited bandwidth save for 2-7 AM. =/

Next weekend? Or sometime next week? I warn you though, I've got 53 wins and only 36 losses. :p
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:08 pm

Oterro wrote:With Rome and Medieval it's pretty hard not to utilize it it's an unstoppable force.

In M2TW they were worthless against everything and in Rome they were worthless against sufficiently dense infantry formations.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Oterro wrote:With Rome and Medieval it's pretty hard not to utilize it it's an unstoppable force.

In M2TW they were worthless against everything and in Rome they were worthless against sufficiently dense infantry formations.

In Rome the Goths had dominating cavalry.

The whole point of combat in Medieval 2 was putting your lines against each other, breaking the enemy's cavalry screen, then charging them from behind over and over until they all rout.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:15 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:In Rome the Goths had dominating cavalry.

The whole point of combat in Medieval 2 was putting your lines against each other, breaking the enemy's cavalry screen, then charging them from behind over and over until they all rout.

I must have been playing it wrong then. ;)

I tended to use highly concentrated groups of heavy melee infantry backed up by pike and spear infantry on the falnks. I'd use the normal melee infantry to focus on and break the enemy's center while my spear and pikemen either held the flanks (In the case of flanking enemy cavalry) or enveloped the rest of their forces.

Abascalia
Secretary

Founded: Oct 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Abascalia » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Rome Total War: Scipii Family
Rome BB: Franks
Medieval 2: Venice
Empire: Great Britain and Sweden (my favorite)
Napoleon: It was horrible
Shogun 2: Chosokabe

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:25 am

In Rome my favorite nation was Greece, especially in defense. I never bothered with walls I just parked my phalanxes in the middle of the street somewhere with archers behind them.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:27 am

New England and The Maritimes wrote:In Rome the Goths had dominating cavalry.

I must have been playing it wrong then. ;)

I tended to use highly concentrated groups of heavy melee infantry backed up by pike and spear infantry on the falnks. I'd use the normal melee infantry to focus on and break the enemy's center while my spear and pikemen either held the flanks (In the case of flanking enemy cavalry) or enveloped the rest of their forces.

I honestly preferred English Knights to the other kinds; you could use them as faster moving melee unit since they weren't as good at charging as other knights where but they could last longer in a knockdown drag out battle.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:29 am

Tagmatium wrote:I've still got a soft spot for the original Medieval.

After playing Rome, Barbarian Invasion, Medieval 2 and Empire, I've always been left with the feeling that the orginal Medieval's battles were just slightly more epic than any of the newer ones.

Also, sprites whaling on each other using overhead swings of halberds was funny as.

There was a lot to love in medieval 1 that wasn't in 2. Like promoting your own lords and being able to choose to dismount your knights at the beginning of a battle.

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:49 am

SaintB wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:I've still got a soft spot for the original Medieval.

There was a lot to love in medieval 1 that wasn't in 2. Like promoting your own lords and being able to choose to dismount your knights at the beginning of a battle.

Med 1 was the shit man, i spent countless hours playing that game and loved it.

Xiffa
Secretary

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

I also have a story

Postby Xiffa » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:58 am

http://www.nationstates.net
http://www.xiffa-norsk.blogspot.com
+----------------------------+
Name: The People's Republic of Xiffa(ex-if-faa)
Classification: People's Republic
Flag: Xiffan flag
History: Civil Bloodbath Survivors (Slightly stunned remnants of nation-shattering internal conflict over issues which remain unclear.)
Government: Liberatarian
Currency: The "Keni"
National Animal: Horse
Motto: "We all are born free and have equal rights"
+------------------------------------------------------------+
History:
[1].Formation:
TPR of Xiffa was founded in 2012 A.D. under the leadership of "Sir. Bbek Norsk Shaikin". Sir.Bbek Norsk Shaikin was the former state minister of Tupleva state, which was a part of former "Pruznia"(meaning= the land of people).

[2].The Pruznian Civil War:
Pruznia had a great civil war in 2000-2005 A.D. Many left-wing socialist citizens and militants fought against the then corrupted government supportive forces led by right-wing capitalists who were influenced by the dictator of "Empire of Ivan". The great bloodshed occurred. The then government of Pruznia was corrupted and exploited national citizens of Tupleva and her sister states. The sister states were also influenced by the modern philanthropist communist ideal, Com.Norsk Ken Shaikin who was born in Tupleva in 1980 A.D and is the brother of Sir. Bbek Norsk Shaikin.

[3].About "Xiffa of States":
The citizens of Tupleva had agriculture, automobile manufacturing industries, various banks and corporate houses as business institution. The "Xiffa of states" (meaning: unity of states) including Tupleva, was home to the second largest aerospace R & D division of the former Pruznia. The bureau was responsible for the advancement in modern aircraft technologies including STOL(Short Take Off and Landing) such as: BZ-97 Berez, BZ-200Y Mriyan , VTOL(Vertical Take Off and Landing) such as: PZF-21k Zen, PZF-31p Nixon and Vector thrust technology for jet fighters such as MYG-29 Bian, MYG-35 Xeta.

In mid of 2000 A.D, a great economical rescission haunted the former Pruznia when a capitalist Evildikh Winehalt was the president. The administration by the that government was running Pruznia. The government was corrupt and Anarchical regime was throughout Pruznia. Evildikh Winehalt seized all the wealth and business possessions of every socialist state citizens all over "Xiffa of states" and were forced to join the military of his own which he declared as the offensive weapon to capture and rule over other nearby regions and weak neighboring states of "Bkenia".

[4].The "PLAX" and "The fight back":
Those who couldn't oppose the creulty of Evildikh, joined the armey but many others fought back. Many citizens and former militants from the "Xiffa of states" (Tupleva, Kurksta, Norswik and Koleva) joined forces as "The People's Liberation Army of Xiffa". We suffered heavy losses but the time was in favor of us that the nation of Bkenia and some tribal groups from the Eastern border side of Pruznia, formed "The United States of Bkenia" and supported The People's Liberation army of Xiffa (PLAX) with defensive efforts.

By the end of the Pruznian civil war in Julei (July) 30 2005 A.D. a peace treaty was assigned between government of "Western block of Pruznia" and "PLAX" and an independent nation under the name "Free Xiffa of states", was declared.

[5].History of the name "Xiffa":
In the Pruzian history, "Xiffar" was a brave knight warrior from "the kingdom of Raajnek"(also known as "Tupleva-Norswik"). He fought for good and people in need and hence was able to establish "The greater Pruznia" (later divided into Pruznia, Bkenia and Xiffa)
Mr. Bken Raj Bkensky
Minister of Foreign Affairs

The People's Republic of Xiffa

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction