NATION

PASSWORD

Attraction is Objectification

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Kobeanare wrote:
Galloism wrote:Or, perhaps men don't show their self-consciousness in the same way.

Or, perhaps men would have spoken for five minutes when not being objectified, and three minutes when being objectified, but we don't know because they capped talking time at two minutes.

This. All the study tells us is that the men used the whole time. The only conclusion we can draw is that they need to run the study again, but with a much higher time limit.

Bottle wrote:
Rumbria wrote:Of course attraction is objectification. It's the fundamental reason that objectification is not always wrong, and the best example of how the term has been mutilated into a buzzword.

Close, but wrong.

The problem is that people (incorrectly) equate sexualization with objectification. This is, incidentally, another way you can tell that the OP of this thread is an anti-feminist troll. He's sniping at the many feminists who have discussed, at length, how objectification is harmful and how sexual relationships between men and women are especially poisoned by it. But he has, like so many others before him, mistakenly read this as an indictment of SEXUALIZATION.

The reality is that lots of objectification doesn't involve sexualization, and lots of sexualization doesn't involve objectification. Attraction doesn't necessarily require objectification; indeed, for many of us, objectification tends to be a bit of a boner-killer. Feminists have been discussing this for decades because, duh, feminists tend to think it would be nice if we could have heterosexual relationships without one or both of the participants being objectified.

If you like the idea of having sex with another person, an actual real person, then none of this should bother you. You should, indeed, be interested in learning more. But if you prefer the Doesn't Matter; Had Sex school of thought, you're probably going to be pissed at all the stupid thinking and talking you'll have to do in order to interact with your sex-receptacle as if it were a real live being.

She put a bag on my head. STILL COUNTS

I don't get it, frankly. I don't understand what's so appealing about a relationship, physical and otherwise, where one person is completely objectified by the other person. Now that being said, I've never been in a serious relationship myself. It could be that once I'm in one, I'd spend five minutes before turning around, going "fuck this" and vastly preferring a set of genitalia with a human attached to it. But from where my single and solitary ass is sitting, a relationship between two people who love and respect each other as people doesn't sound half-bad.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Previous

Return to General