NATION

PASSWORD

Why do Christians claim to get their morals from the bible?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Deus Corporation
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Why do Christians claim to get their morals from the bible?

Postby The Deus Corporation » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:24 pm

If you read the bible then you will clearly see that if people actually got thair morals from it....

Well to put it simply the world would be more fu*ked up than it already is.

I'd like to hear what all of you have to say on this topic.

Zandan
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Zandan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:34 pm

That is what I wonder.

They say atheists don't have morals, but if we followed the morals from the Bible we would all be murderers, we would be stoning people, burning "sorceresses." It's weird isn't it? The bible tells people the disobey the Ten Commandments.

Mainly, "Thou shalt not kill"
Last edited by Zandan on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rolling squid
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:34 pm

It allows people to 'justify' their positions without actually having to think.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:34 pm

The Deus Corporation wrote:If you read the bible then you will clearly see that if people actually got thair morals from it....

all the Christians I know (not including those of the Interwebs) claim they get their morals from the Teachings of Jesus. not from 'The Bible' in total.
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

The Deus Corporation
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Deus Corporation » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:51 pm

JuNii wrote:
The Deus Corporation wrote:If you read the bible then you will clearly see that if people actually got thair morals from it....

all the Christians I know (not including those of the Interwebs) claim they get their morals from the Teachings of Jesus. not from 'The Bible' in total.

Well even the teachings of jesus aren't too helpful. If christians only did what jesus said, then they would own nothing but the colthes on their back and they would would hate every person in their family just so they could love jebus.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:59 pm

The Deus Corporation wrote:Well even the teachings of jesus aren't too helpful. If christians only did what jesus said, then they would own nothing but the colthes on their back and they would would hate every person in their family just so they could love jebus.

but that's not Morals. ;)

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:02 pm

The Deus Corporation wrote:
JuNii wrote:

Well even the teachings of jesus aren't too helpful. If christians only did what jesus said, then they would own nothing but the colthes on their back and they would would hate every person in their family just so they could love jebus.

I think you're confusing commandments with morals, which aren't the same. It's the same way that laws and morals are also not exactly the same.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:05 pm

Rolling squid wrote:It allows people to 'justify' their positions without actually having to think.

Perhaps more importantly, it let's you get away with just about anything, because you can always blame/give credit to your 'boss'.
I identify as
a problem

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:08 pm

NERVUN wrote:I think you're confusing commandments with morals, which aren't the same.

in the context of revealed religion, how do you figure?

The People of George
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The People of George » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:10 pm

That's not what the new testament even preaches...i do get my morals from the bible, just how everyone gets their morals from some source...

The People of George
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The People of George » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:It allows people to 'justify' their positions without actually having to think.

Perhaps more importantly, it let's you get away with just about anything, because you can always blame/give credit to your 'boss'.

What do you mean?

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:12 pm

JuNii wrote:all the Christians I know (not including those of the Interwebs) claim they get their morals from the Teachings of Jesus. not from 'The Bible' in total.

The "Bible" is essentially focused around Jesus' teachings, as the Bible is Christian scripture, the NT, and more specifically Jesus' teachings are the core, and focus of the Bible. The OT is more of a cultural/historical backdrop IMO.

To say things like "The Bible preaches 'an eye for an eye'" is not very correct, though that is in the Bible, Jesus' message of loving your neighbors, and treating others as you would wish to be treated takes precedence, as a moral lesson being taught.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:14 pm

I think someone has read quite selectively. If you had excercised the reading comprehension to understand the message, your post would be less meaningful.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:15 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:The "Bible" is essentially focused around Jesus' teachings, as the Bible is Christian scripture, the NT, and more specifically Jesus' teachings are the core, and focus of the Bible. The OT is more of a cultural/historical backdrop IMO.
yet... when people point out the inconsistancies/flaws/things they don't like about 'The Bible' they will readily point out the OT.

Der Teutoniker wrote:To say things like "The Bible preaches 'an eye for an eye'" is not very correct, though that is in the Bible, Jesus' message of loving your neighbors, and treating others as you would wish to be treated takes precedence, as a moral lesson being taught.
hence why they say "the teachings of Jesus" and not 'The Bible'. But I only speak of those christians I personally talked to. not about chrisitans in general.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:16 pm

JuNii wrote:
The Deus Corporation wrote:Well even the teachings of jesus aren't too helpful. If christians only did what jesus said, then they would own nothing but the colthes on their back and they would would hate every person in their family just so they could love jebus.

but that's not Morals. ;)

Nor is it necessarily culturally, or temporally relevant. Despite being a Christian, I am not a Jew under the Roman Empire. Jesus did not command all of His followers to sell their possessions, but was rather making a statement about the importance of community and selflessness.

Arresyl
Envoy

Founded: Sep 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Arresyl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:16 pm

It would if you got all of your morals from the Old Testament (I think they also call it the Torah, right? I may be confusing it with something else here, though...). I generally ignore most of those teachings in their literal forms.

Anyway, it's all mostly gotten from the New Testament and the teachings of Jesus, though many people interpret the teachings in different ways. Personally, I adopt a more practical approach in my daily life, though I wouldn't do anything to harm someone I believed to be an innocent if at all possible, and I help people when I can. You can't use all of the teachings from the bible all of the time... It's more of just a goal to strive for.
Last edited by Arresyl on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.79

My Quotes

Ah, the pages with no print on them?

Yes... Those are the most epic of all... It leaves the ending and beginning entirely to the reader's imagination...

Beautiful.

Wutaco wrote:
I suppose if you want to get technical, you can level Manhatten with a nuke. But that as you can guess, is a no no. Because the US will then blow the living shit out of your country and be partying in the ruins within an hour.

Dontgonearthere wrote:
The effectiveness of the US military (in terms of killing people) cannot be denied. When the US wants to reduce something to a cratered wasteland, that place gets reduced to a cratered wasteland.

Buxtahatche
Envoy

Founded: Jul 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Buxtahatche » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:17 pm

LOL
Obvious troll is obvious, if I may borrow the phrase. :roll:

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:19 pm

The People of George wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

What do you mean?

You can justify pretty much anything by appeal to scripture.

Get caught doing something naughty? Find the right verse, and that's okay - you were serving a higher power.
I identify as
a problem

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:19 pm

Buxtahatche wrote:if I may borrow the phrase. :roll:

I do so give you permission to borrow the phrase. Use it wisely.

No, I don't have any right to dispense permission for an expression I'm pretty sure I've never used.
Last edited by Der Teutoniker on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Almajoya
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Almajoya » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Why did you star out the C instead of the U? I find that odd.

Anyway, I'm a Christian, and I've never claimed to get my morals from the Bible, which is probably why Episcopalians usually hate me. Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you.

The People of George
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The People of George » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

What do you mean?

Get caught doing something naughty? Find the right verse, and that's okay - you were serving a higher power.

Umm no...Christians who believe that way are wrong...there is no justifiable reason for sin...if you do it you're wrong point blank.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:21 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

What do you mean?

^this :clap:

Slavery for instance, bible approves (quran does too).
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:21 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:You can justify pretty much anything by appeal to scripture.

Umm, can one not do this with anything? "Oh, it's ok that I conquered that city, and burned it to the ground, slaughtering every citizen... Genghis did it, and he's remembered in the annals of history."

So, your point seems a bit too general as it relates to this context specifically.

The People of George
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The People of George » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:22 pm

The Deus Corporation wrote:
JuNii wrote:

That's definitely false.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:23 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:^this :clap:

Slavery for instance, bible approves (quran does too).

Actually, not this. The Bible could be used to justify slavery, by taking verses out of context, but I think the message of equality would seem to conflict with your claim... but that's taking an accurate context into mind, which you seem so far unprepared to do.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General