NATION

PASSWORD

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Has Obama done enough to merit the Nobel Peace Prize?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 388

FreeSatania
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby FreeSatania » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:01 am

Vittos Ordination wrote:
Obama Jugen III wrote:
New Mitanni wrote:
Vittos Ordination wrote:I didn't say anything about being an extremist. I just questioned your categorization of Arafat and the USSR as being leftist. That seems fairly absurd, and I assumed you were the typical kool-aid drinking American "Conservative" because of it.

How silly of anyone to characterize the USSR as "leftist". Everyone in Western Europe knows the USSR was a reactionary rightist regime. :roll:

You don't really expect to be taken seriously, do you?

I keep forgetting that it's the upside-down day today. So USSR was rightist. Then regulation-free anarcho-capitlists are the leftists? This is gonna get confusing very fast.

I am a free-market regulation-free anarchist and I am a leftist.

It is not my fault that people cannot differentiate between means and ends.

Your a silly goose that's what you are! :hug:

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:02 am

FreeSatania wrote:
Vittos Ordination wrote:
Obama Jugen III wrote:
New Mitanni wrote:
Vittos Ordination wrote:I didn't say anything about being an extremist. I just questioned your categorization of Arafat and the USSR as being leftist. That seems fairly absurd, and I assumed you were the typical kool-aid drinking American "Conservative" because of it.

How silly of anyone to characterize the USSR as "leftist". Everyone in Western Europe knows the USSR was a reactionary rightist regime. :roll:

I keep forgetting that it's the upside-down day today. So USSR was rightist. Then regulation-free anarcho-capitlists are the leftists? This is gonna get confusing very fast.

And I will keep drinking my high class drinks, you brigand you. 8)
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

FreeSatania
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby FreeSatania » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:05 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
FreeSatania wrote:
Vittos Ordination wrote:
Obama Jugen III wrote:
New Mitanni wrote:

Vodka is the drink of the Proletariate.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:06 am

FreeSatania wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
FreeSatania wrote:
Vittos Ordination wrote:
Obama Jugen III wrote:
New Mitanni wrote:

Vodka is the drink of the Proletariate.

Don't you go Andaras on me, boy. :evil:
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Peepelonia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Peepelonia » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:07 am

Obama Jugen III wrote:
Peepelonia wrote:
Obama Jugen III wrote:Actually that definition has been re-adapted only recently and it's incredibly inappropriate. The left ideology is against progress. How they conned the world into calling them progressive all of a sudden is beyond me.

Hahah what rubbish! I don't know how things are in other parts of the word but I can assure you that here in the UK, the left ideology is progressive.

So left is pro-free-trade free-market let-technology-solve-problems-and-keep-government-out-of-the-way in UK? Cause you know.. those things stay in the way of progress.

Well not-with-standing that people are differant I'm firmly on the left and yes I belive in free market, am pro technology, but goverment outta the way, now when hs that ever been a left idea ummm?

There are many things that get in the way of progress.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:07 am

I do not drink. I revel.

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:09 am

Peepelonia wrote:
Obama Jugen III wrote:
Peepelonia wrote:
Obama Jugen III wrote:Actually that definition has been re-adapted only recently and it's incredibly inappropriate. The left ideology is against progress. How they conned the world into calling them progressive all of a sudden is beyond me.

Hahah what rubbish! I don't know how things are in other parts of the word but I can assure you that here in the UK, the left ideology is progressive.

So left is pro-free-trade free-market let-technology-solve-problems-and-keep-government-out-of-the-way in UK? Cause you know.. those things stay in the way of progress.

Well not-with-standing that people are differant I'm firmly on the left and yes I belive in free market, am pro technology, but goverment outta the way, now when hs that ever been a left idea ummm?

There are many things that get in the way of progress.

Sometimes even progress(economic) can get in the way of progress(social).
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Turkish Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Turkish Federation » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:10 am

The Nobel Committee dissapoints me. A lot.
Last edited by Turkish Federation on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Turkish Federation
Factbook - Embassy thread - NSTracker

Vittos Ordination
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Vittos Ordination » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:12 am

FreeSatania wrote:Your a silly goose that's what you are! :hug:

That I am. I am about as silly as geese get.

Vittos Ordination
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vittos Ordination » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:15 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Sometimes even progress(economic) can get in the way of progress(social).

I say that you cannot have one without the other. I am even inclined to say that they are one in the same.

I define economic well-being as the ability to act according to one's own values. That is largely the same as social well-being.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:19 am

Vittos Ordination wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Sometimes even progress(economic) can get in the way of progress(social).

I say that you cannot have one without the other. I am even inclined to say that they are one in the same.

I define economic well-being as the ability to act according to one's own values. That is largely the same as social well-being.

On an individual scale, I agree with you. But often(especially lately), corporatism can approach feudalism in scale. That's not progress.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Vittos Ordination
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vittos Ordination » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:21 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Vittos Ordination wrote:

On an individual scale, I agree with you. But often(especially lately), corporatism can approach feudalism in scale. That's not progress.

We are in total agreement.

I tend to only think in terms of the individual.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:21 am

“Dear USia: The last eight years were pretty damn terrifying for the rest of us. Please don’t do that again.”
- Nobel Prize Committee

Peepelonia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Peepelonia » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:28 am

Indeed LG indeed. Like most of life, things aint that simple huh.

Vittos Ordination
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vittos Ordination » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:28 am

If Bush had only realized that if he acted like he cared what the rest of the world thought, he could have gotten away with all of it and gotten an award.

Kurdazistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurdazistan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:30 am

And we have the opening of Act 2 of the Obama joke.
"My father was a JHU Mathematican Master. My mother was an S Librarian-Languages understudy." Me

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:31 am

Vittos Ordination wrote:If Bush had only realized that if he acted like he cared what the rest of the world thought, he could have gotten away with all of it and gotten an award.

He had it made after 9/11. He could've done anything he wanted if he hadn't been such an arrogant bastard about it.

Hunter S. Thompson

Snafturi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Snafturi » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:31 am

The Peace Prize always stirs controversy. I didn't expect this year to be any different. I'm actually curious who leaked Obama's name before the announcement.
[color=#000080]
The four most overrated things in life are champagne, lobsters,... and picnics -Hitchen

West Failure
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Failure » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:33 am

Snafturi wrote:The Peace Prize always stirs controversy. I didn't expect this year to be any different. I'm actually curious who leaked Obama's name before the announcement.

I will not reveal my sources
Yootwopia wrote:
Folder Land wrote:But why do religious conservatives have more power in the States but not so much power in the UK that still has a state church?

Because our country is better than yours.

Vittos Ordination
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vittos Ordination » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:38 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Vittos Ordination wrote:If Bush had only realized that if he acted like he cared what the rest of the world thought, he could have gotten away with all of it and gotten an award.

He had it made after 9/11. He could've done anything he wanted if he hadn't been such an arrogant bastard about it.

He had that Pax Americana attitude from Wolfowitz and Cheney. Their foreign policy M.O. was "We call the shots, and we don't want anyone questioning it."

ChevyRocks
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby ChevyRocks » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:38 am

I think this picture illustrates my thoughts on the Nobel Prize...

"If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action." - Ludwig von Mises

Snafturi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Snafturi » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:41 am

West Failure wrote:
Snafturi wrote:The Peace Prize always stirs controversy. I didn't expect this year to be any different. I'm actually curious who leaked Obama's name before the announcement.

I will not reveal my sources

Even for a cookie?
[color=#000080]
The four most overrated things in life are champagne, lobsters,... and picnics -Hitchen

Vervaria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:41 am

Vittos Ordination wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

He had that Pax Americana attitude from Wolfowitz and Cheney. Their foreign policy M.O. was "We call the shots, and we don't want anyone questioning it."

See, Bush didn't actually know squat about foreign policy when he first decided to run for President, and the neocons recognized the opportunity, and managed to get to him and shape his views, and turned him into one of their disciples.
Last edited by Vervaria on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lulz: viewtopic.php?p=2707685#p2707685
Fact book
Robustian wrote:If you disagree with me, you are wrong. Period.

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Wanderjar wrote:hiding behind this "I WANT SOURCES" wall is very quaint

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:50 am

Free Soviets wrote:“Dear USia: The last eight years were pretty damn terrifying for the rest of us. Please don’t do that again.”
- Nobel Prize Committee

im thinking that it must be the contrast thing. going from "we dont need no friends, do what we say or we'll kill you all" to "lets talk about this" seems revolutionary.
whatever

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:53 am

I wonder what Saturday Night Live will do with this new material? :rofl:
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General