NATION

PASSWORD

Anonymous to Occupy Wall Street and Create Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Allrule
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Sremski okrug wrote:
Keronians wrote:
A sad reality.

Why Americans let lobbyists buy their government for so many years I will never know.

No idea.

You can see it when you compare the funding of the recent elections.

2010 UK Election - 25 million pounds
2008 US Presidential Election - 5.3 billion dollars

In other words, about 39 million dollars in the UK 2010 compared to 5.3 billion for 2008 US.
Save the Internet! Protect Net Neutrality!

"Lily? After all this time?"
"Always."
-Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Sremski okrug wrote:
Keronians wrote:
A sad reality.

Why Americans let lobbyists buy their government for so many years I will never know.

No idea.

Yeah, you'd expect something like $200 million or so (given America's larger geographical size, and population), but over $5 billion is simply ridiculous.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Rep. Debra Wasserman-Schultz, DNC Chairman was interviewed on the subject of this Occupy Wall Street thingy. She tried to work it into line with "what we [DNC] have done" and just stumbled along empty handed. And you could tell that she knew it. Everybody expects Occupy Wall Street to favor the Dems. Yet it could not be more clear that the Dems have nothing in reality in common with the protests. After all, they voted even more FOR all these bailouts than the republicans did, and banker/insurer/mortgage giant campaign contributions to Democrats and the DNC are also very telling... plus the fact that Obama is effectively the Goldman Sachs candidate. His list of economic advisers and cabinet members reads like a who's who of the '1%'. They should be scared. Very scared. But to coopt they will try.
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:10 pm

Keronians wrote:
Sremski okrug wrote:
No idea.

Yeah, you'd expect something like $200 million or so (given America's larger geographical size, and population), but over $5 billion is simply ridiculous.

Hey, it was a good investment for many.... back the winner and get free taxpayers money aka bailouts/TARP etc...
F1-Insanity Factbook
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:

Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:28 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:Rep. Debra Wasserman-Schultz, DNC Chairman was interviewed on the subject of this Occupy Wall Street thingy. She tried to work it into line with "what we [DNC] have done" and just stumbled along empty handed. And you could tell that she knew it. Everybody expects Occupy Wall Street to favor the Dems. Yet it could not be more clear that the Dems have nothing in reality in common with the protests. After all, they voted even more FOR all these bailouts than the republicans did, and banker/insurer/mortgage giant campaign contributions to Democrats and the DNC are also very telling... plus the fact that Obama is effectively the Goldman Sachs candidate. His list of economic advisers and cabinet members reads like a who's who of the '1%'. They should be scared. Very scared. But to coopt they will try.

The people have no choice but to support the Democrats. They're the only big tent party left and they're the only one with the organization and funding to take on the Republicans(whom nobody with a brain wants in office,) successfully. Ideally, the Progressive movement is going to take over the DNC from within and people will be a lot more enthusiastic in their support.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:31 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:Rep. Debra Wasserman-Schultz, DNC Chairman was interviewed on the subject of this Occupy Wall Street thingy. She tried to work it into line with "what we [DNC] have done" and just stumbled along empty handed. And you could tell that she knew it. Everybody expects Occupy Wall Street to favor the Dems. Yet it could not be more clear that the Dems have nothing in reality in common with the protests. After all, they voted even more FOR all these bailouts than the republicans did, and banker/insurer/mortgage giant campaign contributions to Democrats and the DNC are also very telling... plus the fact that Obama is effectively the Goldman Sachs candidate. His list of economic advisers and cabinet members reads like a who's who of the '1%'. They should be scared. Very scared. But to coopt they will try.

The people have no choice but to support the Democrats. They're the only big tent party left and they're the only one with the organization and funding to take on the Republicans(whom nobody with a brain wants in office,) successfully. Ideally, the Progressive movement is going to take over the DNC from within and people will be a lot more enthusiastic in their support.

There is always a choice... no matter how unlikely. Sticking with the Goldman Sachs candidate ain't gonna change anything. And yes, some of the current Republican candidates are complete morons (Bachmann) or paid for banker stooges (stop pretending mr Perry). Obammy will just continue taking cues from Goldman Sachs (like W before him).
F1-Insanity Factbook

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:36 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:

There is always a choice... no matter how unlikely. Sticking with the Goldman Sachs candidate ain't gonna change anything. And yes, some of the current Republican candidates are complete morons (Bachmann) or paid for banker stooges (stop pretending mr Perry). Obammy will just continue taking cues from Goldman Sachs (like W before him).

Not really. Obama genuinely believed the things he said in 2008. What's happened is he has taken a back seat to his cabinet in stead of taking strong action. It's my belief he was simply not ready to become the President when he did. Ideally, he's going to realize he needs to take charge after his re-election.

There are literally no realistic candidates in the field that I would prefer to Obama. None whatsoever. I will, however, support Clinton in 2016 if no major progressives take the field by then.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos

Augustus Este
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Augustus Este » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:39 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:

Not really. Obama genuinely believed the things he said in 2008. What's happened is he has taken a back seat to his cabinet in stead of taking strong action. It's my belief he was simply not ready to become the President when he did. Ideally, he's going to realize he needs to take charge after his re-election.

There are literally no realistic candidates in the field that I would prefer to Obama. None whatsoever. I will, however, support Clinton in 2016 if no major progressives take the field by then.

I thought Clinton said she'd retire from politics after 2012?

Drachmar
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:44 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:There is always a choice... no matter how unlikely. Sticking with the Goldman Sachs candidate ain't gonna change anything. And yes, some of the current Republican candidates are complete morons (Bachmann) or paid for banker stooges (stop pretending mr Perry). Obammy will just continue taking cues from Goldman Sachs (like W before him).

The only reason Goldman Sachs gave Obama over 4 times more in campaign contributions in 2008 is because they identified that he was going to beat McCain in the general election; they correctly predicted the outcome. Had the institution believed the McCain/Palin ticket would win, they would have bought them off instead.

Otherwise, why give to both candidates? They're only buying regulatory policy that favors them.
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:
United Marktoria wrote:Your unconscious mind is gold. my friend.

...which explains why people keep sticking shovels in your head.

Katganistan wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:I'm a monster in bed.

Women run screaming from you? ;)

F1-Insanity
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Drachmar wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:There is always a choice... no matter how unlikely. Sticking with the Goldman Sachs candidate ain't gonna change anything. And yes, some of the current Republican candidates are complete morons (Bachmann) or paid for banker stooges (stop pretending mr Perry). Obammy will just continue taking cues from Goldman Sachs (like W before him).

The only reason Goldman Sachs gave Obama over 4 times more in campaign contributions in 2008 is because they identified that he was going to beat McCain in the general election; they correctly predicted the outcome. Had the institution believed the McCain/Palin ticket would win, they would have bought them off instead.

Otherwise, why give to both candidates? They're only buying regulatory policy that favors them.

Check the correlation between 'Obama economic advisers' and 'Goldman Sachs' or one of the other major investment/thieving banks... as Yoda would say 'correlation is strong with this one'...
F1-Insanity Factbook

Euronion
Senator

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:04 pm

Hydesland wrote:
Shofercia wrote:Anyone who studied the issue, and was honest, was able to predict it.

. . . before the crisis he was just a regular economics professor consistently prophesying doom and consistently being wrong about it, until now) and a few other financial experts and traders who actually prophesised the crisis . . .

like the old saying goes, "even a broken clock is right twice a day", though I do do disagree, my Uncle predicted the financial crisis and he was a financial officer for Toyota, I remember him telling me about it, he would tell me stuff like "I'm telling you, these great economic times are going to come to an end soon, what goes up must come down,"
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
The Official Euronion Website
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:05 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:Check the correlation between 'Obama economic advisers' and 'Goldman Sachs' or one of the other major investment/thieving banks... as Yoda would say 'correlation is strong with this one'...

Who in particular are you thinking of? I mean the names I can think off of the top of my head that would have any actual influence (Romer, Summers, Krueger, Goolsbee etc...) have all been academics, not bankers.

Drachmar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:08 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:
Drachmar wrote:The only reason Goldman Sachs gave Obama over 4 times more in campaign contributions in 2008 is because they identified that he was going to beat McCain in the general election; they correctly predicted the outcome. Had the institution believed the McCain/Palin ticket would win, they would have bought them off instead.

Check the correlation between 'Obama economic advisers' and 'Goldman Sachs' or one of the other major investment/thieving banks... as Yoda would say 'correlation is strong with this one'...

Proof that campaign contributions from powerful special interests buys influence in gov't.

Otherwise, why contribute to both parties? These groups influence elections through campaign financing, then expect favors in return. Had Sachs believed McCain/Palin would take the White House, they would have contributed more to their campaign.
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Katganistan wrote:

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Has anyone noticed that people can't make up their mind on whether Obama's advisor team is full of academics with no real world experience or revolving door financiers from wall street? People need to pick a cliché talking point and stick to it.

Drachmar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Hydesland wrote:Has anyone noticed that people can't make up their mind on whether Obama's advisor team is full of academics with no real world experience or revolving door financiers from wall street? People need to pick a cliché talking point and stick to it.

Conspiracy theory of the week, the new gameshow...

Only on FOX!
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Katganistan wrote:

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Hydesland wrote:Has anyone noticed that people can't make up their mind on whether Obama's advisor team is full of academics with no real world experience or revolving door financiers from wall street? People need to pick a cliché talking point and stick to it.

His cabinet is made up of academics with some experience in administration. He seems to be picking people with good backgrounds in their relative fields and overall brilliant men, and then, in stead of using them as tools to aid his policy direction, following their orders and letting them tell him what he can and can't do.

Also, Bonobos

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:44 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:His cabinet is made up of academics with some experience in administration. He seems to be picking people with good backgrounds in their relative fields and overall brilliant men, and then, in stead of using them as tools to aid his policy direction, following their orders and letting them tell him what he can and can't do.

Well, yeah. The President is a figurehead. You don't interfere in things you don't understand - you leave it to the experts. Seems reasonable to me.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Keronians wrote:
Sremski okrug wrote:
No idea.

I'd add, though, that American campaigns have evolved into, essentially, two-year long affairs.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Andaluciae wrote:
Keronians wrote:

I'd add, though, that American campaigns have evolved into, essentially, two-year long affairs.

The benefits of snap elections.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:13 pm

Breaking news: Technocratic bureaucrats still doing more than the "occupiers."

http://drezner.foreignpolicy.com/posts/ ... al_economy
Last edited by Andaluciae on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:14 pm

greed and death wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:

The benefits of snap elections.

I can't believe we have to put up with these bombastic pricks for over a year of more campaign...

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Andaluciae wrote:
greed and death wrote:The benefits of snap elections.

I can't believe we have to put up with these bombastic pricks for over a year of more campaign...

There are Reasons I do not have TV.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ridicularia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ridicularia » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Andaluciae wrote:Breaking news: Technocratic bureaucrats still doing more than the "occupiers."

http://drezner.foreignpolicy.com/posts/ ... al_economy

Oh, the irony.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:His cabinet is made up of academics with some experience in administration. He seems to be picking people with good backgrounds in their relative fields and overall brilliant men, and then, in stead of using them as tools to aid his policy direction, following their orders and letting them tell him what he can and can't do.

Well, yeah. The President is a figurehead. You don't interfere in things you don't understand - you leave it to the experts. Seems reasonable to me.

Wrong. You set policy based on your positions, using experts as guides to reasonable application. What Obama has done is left policy entirely to his cabinet after being told what he "can't" do.

Also, Bonobos

Romatticus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romatticus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Sooo.... Was this supposed to happen 2 days ago?
Anon fail :palm:
If you are not a liberal at 20, you have no heart. If you are not Conservative by 40, you have no brain. If at any point, you are not a moderate, you don't know enough about history.
Politics are like a tug of war. Opposing sides constantly pull back and forth, but no matter who wins, everyone gets dirty.
Newton's third law? It applies to history too. Everytime one group takes a radical action, an opposite but equally bad group makes a violent reaction.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=170946&start=650

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General