NATION

PASSWORD

Why are People Homophobic?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:50 pm

Euronion wrote:
-St George wrote:Thank you for proving homosexuals do not have the same rights as heterosexuals.

they most certainly do, if a gay man married a women, he would be entitled to the same tax benefits, because he is married. Again heterosexuals can't marry their own sex either.

which is a arbitrary separation, no different than saying you can only marry those of the same race, or people whose name rhymes with yours.
I f the law said you could not marry someone with a different last name would you say that's fine because it still treats everyone equally?
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:52 pm

Euronion wrote:
-St George wrote:Thank you for proving homosexuals do not have the same rights as heterosexuals.

they most certainly do, if a gay man married a women, he would be entitled to the same tax benefits, because he is married. Again heterosexuals can't marry their own sex either.

If the legally married Mr and Mrs Van Dyke immigrate to the USA from the Netherlands, is their marriage considered valid by the USA ?
If the legally married Mr and Mr Van Dyke immigrate to the USA from the Netherlands, is their marriage considered valid by the USA ?
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Euronion
Senator

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:53 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Euronion wrote:
they do, as I mentioned, they can't marry their own sex, and neither can heterosexuals, equal in that category, feelings do not come into the matter, Civil Unions are legal in several states and in NY gay marraige is legal as well as Missouri, and if you want a gay friendly enviroment, Sweden and Norway are the places to go, If I loved a woman that much I would go to another country to be happy, but some are just too lazy to do so

actually what they are not allowed to do is marry the sex of their preference, why don't we change the law so that you can only marry the same sex, that will make gay people happy and you won't have anything to complain about because you have exactly the same rights.
you do reaize at one time it was illegal to marry a different race, was that OK too?

it is ok to marry someone of a different race beacuse it has been made so, I do support Civil Unions but not marraiges, I don't see why there is a while either you are married or not, I support civil unions because then it is not against my religion and the religion of approximately 1.8 billion people and gay people can stop complaining. However, it hasn't stopped there, in Missouri Gay Marraige is legal and gays are still trying to cram their beliefs down 5 year olds' throats with no opt-out program for parents that don't agree with it, and in California especially, some of the poorer people can not afford private school or homeschooling so they rely on the public education system, it bottles down to either betray your religion, or your child's education, and no family should have to make that choice
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
The Official Euronion Website
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

Euronion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Euronion wrote:

which is a arbitrary separation, no different than saying you can only marry those of the same race, or people whose name rhymes with yours.
I f the law said you could not marry someone with a different last name would you say that's fine because it still treats everyone equally?

I wouldn't say it is right, but it is equal
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

Euronion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:55 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Euronion wrote:

If the legally married Mr and Mrs Van Dyke immigrate to the USA from the Netherlands, is their marriage is considered valid by the USA ?
If the legally married Mr and Mr Van Dyke immigrate to the USA from the Netherlands, is their marriage is considered valid by the USA ?

that is a question for the office of foreign affairs to deicde
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Euronion wrote:

Imagine, Euronion, if the law changed. Imagine if heterosexual marriages were banned, and homosexual marriages were the only accepted form of marriage. Would you be content to marry another man, while all the time loving another woman? Or would you argue that someone has taken your rights away?
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Euronion wrote:
Sociobiology wrote: which is a arbitrary separation, no different than saying you can only marry those of the same race, or people whose name rhymes with yours.

Would you oppose making it right, provided it stays equal ?
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:56 pm

The Warrior Hearted wrote:
Euronion wrote:
you HAVE equal rights, you HAVE the same rights as the average American citizen. WE are tired of your christainphobe ignorant bigotry, flee to Canada or Norway or Sweden where you will be happy and where you can thrust your views upon other people there and no one will care. However, we in America are tired of all the same bull crap, we have more important things to do like fight wars, fix unemployment and fix our economy.

actually, gays dont have equal rights. They cant marry, they are socially viewed as "wrong", and dont even get me started on adoption.

In Spain, gays do have equal rights. They can marry and have the right to adopt children.

Which is why I will never get the reasoning behind gay parades in Spain.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Euronion wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
If the legally married Mr and Mrs Van Dyke immigrate to the USA from the Netherlands, is their marriage is considered valid by the USA ?
If the legally married Mr and Mr Van Dyke immigrate to the USA from the Netherlands, is their marriage is considered valid by the USA ?

that is a question for the office of foreign affairs to deicde

The answer is yes for the first, no for the second.
Explain equality.

Euronion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Johz wrote:
Euronion wrote:

Imagine, Euronion, if the law changed. Imagine if heterosexual marriages were banned, and homosexual marriages were the only accepted form of marriage. Would you be content to marry another man, while all the time loving another woman? Or would you argue that someone has taken your rights away?

1. that scenario is extremely unlikely because not only would it go against the relgion of Muslims, Jews, and Christains all over the world and we rely on marraige for mostly reporduction and the stable raising of a child with both contributors to the gene pool present.
2. I would not be happy, I would leave the United States, but I would have equal rights as the next person to marry
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

The Yoke of Oppression
Secretary

Founded: Oct 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Yoke of Oppression » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Euronion wrote:
The Yoke of Oppression wrote:
If you want to live in a society where homosexuals remain in hiding, move to Iran.

If you want to live in a society where being gay is openly celebrated and seen as wonderful move to Sweden

NO! YOU MOVE TO IRAN! America must remain the same forever, and anybody who thinks that we should change the laws should just LEAVE and go to a country that already reflects their values! Representative government is pointless! Change is scary! NO!

EDIT: I want my binky...
Last edited by The Yoke of Oppression on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Euronion wrote:
If you want to live in a society where homosexuals remain in hiding, move to Iran.

If you want to live in a society where being gay is openly celebrated and seen as wonderful move to Sweden

I prefer Vermont.

They have a more gun friendly atmosphere, and just as gay celebrating.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Euronion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:00 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Euronion wrote:

no I wouldn't oppose making it right, but the post I was orginally responding to was saying that gays don't have equal rights,which they do, they just don't have what they wish
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Pauper Kings
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pauper Kings » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:00 pm

The Warrior Hearted wrote:
Euronion wrote:
you HAVE equal rights, you HAVE the same rights as the average American citizen. WE are tired of your christainphobe ignorant bigotry, flee to Canada or Norway or Sweden where you will be happy and where you can thrust your views upon other people there and no one will care. However, we in America are tired of all the same bull crap, we have more important things to do like fight wars, fix unemployment and fix our economy.

actually, gays dont have equal rights. They cant marry, they are socially viewed as "wrong",...

You can't forcibly change people's attitudes or morality. If you do that you're practically headed for thought control. Political Correctness, as it's being practiced in some circles, falls just short of thought control by penalizing people for certain attitudes, feelings, and 'incorrect' thinking.

They can live their lives and have the relationships they want, but they can't have the exact reaction and outcome by forcing people to give it to them.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:01 pm

Euronion wrote:
Johz wrote:Imagine, Euronion, if the law changed. Imagine if heterosexual marriages were banned, and homosexual marriages were the only accepted form of marriage. Would you be content to marry another man, while all the time loving another woman? Or would you argue that someone has taken your rights away?

1. that scenario is extremely unlikely because not only would it go against the relgion of Muslims, Jews, and Christains all over the world

Which is only half of the worlds population ;) Currently that is.
But true, it is unlikely. Still, thought experiments often are :)

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Euronion wrote:
Johz wrote:Imagine, Euronion, if the law changed. Imagine if heterosexual marriages were banned, and homosexual marriages were the only accepted form of marriage. Would you be content to marry another man, while all the time loving another woman? Or would you argue that someone has taken your rights away?

1. that scenario is extremely unlikely because not only would it go against the relgion of Muslims, Jews, and Christains all over the world and we rely on marraige for mostly reporduction and the stable raising of a child with both contributors to the gene pool present.
2. I would not be happy, I would leave the United States, but I would have equal rights as the next person to marry

Marriage is not necessary for reproduction or raising a child.

Though I do agree that it is extremely unlikely.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Euronion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Euronion wrote:

NO! YOU MOVE TO IRAN! America must remain the same forever, and anybody who thinks that we should change the laws should just LEAVE and go to a country that already reflects their values! Representative government is pointless! Change is scary! NO!

not really
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Euronion wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

no I wouldn't oppose making it right, but the post I was orginally responding to was saying that gays don't have equal rights,which they do, they just don't have what they wish

True. But I take it that, even though you do not think gays currently have less rights than straights, you do not oppose them asking for more rights - as long as the rights they want will also be granted to straight people ?
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:04 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Euronion wrote:
1. that scenario is extremely unlikely because not only would it go against the relgion of Muslims, Jews, and Christains all over the world

Well, marriage is also a custom in Hinduism as well, though historically it has been mainly polygamous.

So add in another billion. ;)
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Zeth Rekia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeth Rekia » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Immaturity and FOXnews.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:07 pm

Keronians wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Well, marriage is also a custom in Hinduism as well, though historically it has been mainly polygamous.

So add in another billion. ;)

Hinduism is a fractured religion - and not wholly against gay marriage. In fact, quite a few Hindus even believe there are more than 2 genders.
Sikhs otoh do not like gays :P

Euronion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:08 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Euronion wrote:

Christians make up 3 billion of the worlds population, Muslims make up 2 billion, and Jews make up a few million, with a global population of around 7 billion as of January, thats 5+out of 7 billion who are either Christians, Jewish, or Muslims. That doesn't even include China's population, from which I understan, is pretty hostile towards it too so add another billion or so to that list
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Pauper Kings wrote:
The Warrior Hearted wrote:actually, gays dont have equal rights. They cant marry, they are socially viewed as "wrong",...

You can't forcibly change people's attitudes or morality. If you do that you're practically headed for thought control. Political Correctness, as it's being practiced in some circles, falls just short of thought control by penalizing people for certain attitudes, feelings, and 'incorrect' thinking.

They can live their lives and have the relationships they want, but they can't have the exact reaction and outcome by forcing people to give it to them.

who is trying to change your attitude, allowing gay marriage is about changing the law, you can keep your beliefs.
and of course you can forcibly change someones morality, that's what laws do, make everyone live by the same rules. You are arguing I should be allowed to murder people if I happen to think it is morally acceptable.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Galla- wrote:
Euronion wrote:

I prefer Vermont.

They have a more gun friendly atmosphere, and just as gay celebrating.

New England tends to do well. I wish we could just toss all those farmers up north in Maine into Canada for a few weeks while we count votes, because the people they elect have been fucking with democratic process too much.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Cooperistan
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cooperistan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:09 pm

I would imagine a large part of it has to do with the media, religion, and immaturity. It's considered "unnatural" by many people, even though it's completely normal.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General