NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Legalizing Prostitution

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Suidwes-Afrika
Ambassador

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Suidwes-Afrika » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Great Azarath wrote:
Suidwes-Afrika wrote:
Wait, so I just gave up my national sovereignty by joining the WA? I really didn't realize that was the case ( I could not find it anywhere on the General Assembly Forums).

Very likely to resign accordingly.

Did you manage to find something about NatSov?

No. Nothing at all. I'm just taking your word for it.
Die Kaplyn - Bok van Blerk

The Struggle against Apartheid in Suidwes-Afrika: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135846

"No man has a right to do what he pleases, except when he pleases to do right." - Charles Simmons

"Violent and brutal means can only lead to totalitarian and tyrannical ends." - P.W. Botha

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Alqania wrote:"The Queendom remains OPPOSED to this proposal."

ACKNOWLEDGING that prostitution, one of the oldest and most known professions in existence, is illegal in many member states;

"The age and fame or infamy of prostitution is completely irrelevant to the question of its legal status."

CONVINCED that all individuals have a fundamental right to bodily sovereignty that no government can rightly violate;

"The Queendom does NOT (1) share this conviction nor (2) recognise prostitution as a part of bodily sovereignty."

HEREBY MANDATES that all member states residing with the World Assembly legalize the business and free trade of prostitution within the confines of previously existent international law.

Prostitutes and member states that reside with the World Assembly MUST ABIDE to the following statements:
(1) Prostitutes are made fully aware of the health or other specific risk connected to prostitution;
(2) A prostitute has the right to refuse any sexual act;
(3) A prostitute has the right to create a contract with his/her/its client agreeing on specific details.

"This can all be loopholed. The Queendom does not reside with the World Assembly; our state does not have its seat in territory under the control of WA management and the state does not dwell in any territory under such control. The presence of a permanent mission to the World Assembly does not equate a seat of government. By defining the seat of Her Majesty's Government as the Alqanian capital of Wilborg, the Queendom can ignore these clauses and still be in compliance with the letter of the law, should this proposal come to pass."

PROHIBITS the following:
(1) Sexual penetration to happen without some form of sexual protection, unless both sides consent to not using any form of sexual protection;
(2) Any government to stop a sapient being from acquiring this profession; within the confines of previously existent international law.

"Number (1) would be considered rape under Alqanian law and already prohibited, regardless of whether the sexual penetration is done as prostitution or not.

Number (2) is interesting. One existent international law is Resolution #68 National Economic Freedoms, which:

WAR#68 wrote:ALLOWS national governments to regulate commerce within their jurisdiction,

As our national governments are allowed by existent international law to regulate commerce, and this allowance reasonably includes the right to enforce licensing or other systems of requiring professionals to meet certain criteria set by the national government, thereby stopping sapient beings from acquiring the profession, the aforementioned clause in this proposal does not actually do anything."

FURTHER PROHIBITS Individual member-states regulating prostitution-based enterprises to the point where it no longer becomes profitable for the enterprise, or its employees; member-states must also refrain from instilling negative ramifications on prostitutes for pursuing the profession with the intent of stymieing the industry.

"While prostitution is already legal in the Queendom, it is a crime under Alqanian law to profit from someone else's prostitution. Her Majesty's Government reserves the right under Resolution #68 to continue this policy and is of the firm opinion that doing so would not violate the letter of the law, should this proposal come to pass.

Requiring member states to ensure that an industry can be profitable is dangerously close to an ideological ban on non-capitalist ideologies. Anyway, Her Majesty's Government reserves the right to define 'profitable' and when regulation is so strong that profit is impossible. It should be apparent to anyone that the profiteers themselves cannot be the ones to exercise such judgement as they would no doubt see any regulation that even in the slightest way risks cutting into their profit as unacceptable.

Her Majesty's Government reserves the right to, in compliance with the letter of the law should this proposal come to pass, limit the legality of profit on sex to the individual prostitute. Profiting on someone else's prostitution shall continue to be a crime under Alqanian law and all pimps and brothels therefore effectively banned. This proposal's ban on negative ramifications on prostitutes does not extend to pimps."

This resolution RECOMMENDS the following:
(1) That member states provide free or low-cost, high quality condoms and other prophylactics, birth control and STI screenings to prostitutes and others who are at risk of STI's and unwanted pregnancies;
(2) Prostitutes are involved with organized brothels for better safety.

"The Queendom already provides the services mentioned in (1) to everyone free of charge, regardless of whether they engage in prostitution or not.

As point (2) is a recommendation only, Her Majesty's Government is of the firm opinion that a continued effective ban on brothels under Alqanian law would be in compliance with the letter of the law, should this proposal come to pass."

ENCOURAGES individual member states to impose additional protocol or standards that do not conflict with this resolution.

"That is exactly what the Queendom will be doing."

1 That is why its under CONVINCED!
2 No your twisting words
3 so?
4 i will look at it later and comment later
5 you ignored the part that says you cannot make this non-profitable
6 if you make it so that they do not make money to support their selves then it is arguably not profitable
From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
Dr. Xzavier M.
Leader of The Kingdom of Great Azarath

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:02 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Great Azarath wrote:-snipped-

Know what, Doctor? Fix your damn quotes or I won't be voting in favour of your proposals.

The colors? That was once, and because it was large. Scroll down and see how its the only one.
Dr. Xzavier M.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:08 pm

You still haven't answered our problem with sex slavery.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Dilange wrote:
Great Azarath wrote:The last paragraph is nonsense. Obviously there is no loophole and if there was if so insignificant that it still made it to quorum. Key players such as Drop Your Pants approved this, thats saying something. I know you don't like colors but this was extremely long.

OOC: You mean how you were afraid the mods would close the thread? Bullshit. Why would the mods close a thread for an in queue proposal?

"1) No Dilange joined the WA to become active in the international field, not to surrender our rights to run our country....if thsat was the case our 1st president would have never let us join. I know how the WA works, you a new here.....alas such a blank slate to be drawn from

2) To choose what exaclty Azarite? To fail in countries where prostitutes would be looked upon as outcasts and be treated like dirt from the other citizens, become more deeper in poverty.....is that the choose? If it is, you have no definiotion of freedoms dear delegate.

3) You mean kill every prostitute in my country? Cause by this bill I can keep prostitution legal and not restrict business but kill every prostiute in my country? Such a loophole huh.

4) Answer the question, you keep dodging question like imaginary bullets Azarite. I want you to be staright with me for once and not sidetrack it.

5) It was an appeal to the other delegates in the WA, it may be ninsense to you but it dear to me. As for loopholes....you mean crime, disease, and class warfare mean nothing to you?" Sainthos questioned the man.

Well tell me smart one, what other reason could there be? He said I can do it again when it goes to vote. I was following his directions. Do you think at all? If you are gonna pretend to be smart try trying harder.

Stop and think, if you are forced to follow something then you surrender your NatSov.

Again, stop and think. To choose whether or not they want to be a prostitute

If you kill them, they cannot profit from it. Making it impossible to profit therefore breaking the law

What?

What?
Dr. Xzavier M.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:20 pm

Wait. #10 doesn't require nations to have nukes. It says WA nations that want them can have them. That strength is mild for a reason. It doesn't force you to have nukes.

This, however, does give up NatSov on the decisions of prosititution. This is micromanagement.

You still haven't told us how this benefits a nation's economy (other than yours), you haven't addressed the problem of sex slavery, and now you're getting hostile towards other ambassadors.

We will still raid brothels and liberate those forced to work in such conditions. Fight that.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:21 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:If this does benefit the economy, why hasn't some nations that legalized this practice have not experienced an economic recovery/have maintained a good economic situation? Perhaps other sectors of the economy that don't dabble in criminal activity are keeping their economy going? Not reliant on this immoral practice?

The claims of economic benefit does not apply to everybody. It may in Great Azarath, but not in every single WA member. The WA is not a utopian paradise for one nation to force micromanagement upon all. If we want to ban this, we should reserve the right to.

I didn't bother to read the rest of this, just look it up and go to the original thread. One person said it brings in billion....BILLIONS a year
Dr. Xzavier M.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Great Azarath wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Know what, Doctor? Fix your damn quotes or I won't be voting in favour of your proposals.

The colors? That was once, and because it was large. Scroll down and see how its the only one.

No excuses, Doctor.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:24 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:Wait. #10 doesn't require nations to have nukes. It says WA nations that want them can have them. That strength is mild for a reason. It doesn't force you to have nukes.

This, however, does give up NatSov on the decisions of prosititution. This is micromanagement.

You still haven't told us how this benefits a nation's economy (other than yours), you haven't addressed the problem of sex slavery, and now you're getting hostile towards other ambassadors.

We will still raid brothels and liberate those forced to work in such conditions. Fight that.

Ambassador, view it from an objective point of view; an entirely new industry is formed, which could be taxed for increased revenue, and would increase general morale. The crux of the situation is that this is ultimately up to the citizens to decide whether or not they take advantage of this resolution. In that sense, it's similar to GAR#10. Nations are given the options to have nuclear weapons; citizens are given the options to hire prostitutes. I fail to see a difference. Not only does this increase economic prosperity internationally, and increases the civil rights of a minority, but it ultimately gives your citizen's the option. I hope that clarified any confusion. :hug:

Yours in drinking coffee from a shot glass,
Last edited by Connopolis on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:26 pm

Embolalia wrote:Previous censorship-worthy joking aside, this really isn't something the WA needs to decide on. The WA should infringe upon sovereignty only to protect the fundamental rights and safety of citizens. Prostitution is not a fundamental right. I agree, it's something people should be allowed to do. I don't think it's so important that it should be passed down from upon high as a mandate.

That said, I would like to thank the author for so thoroughly and arbitrarily limiting our ability to regulate the industry. This will make the proposal very easy to repeal, should it pass.

-E. Rory Hywel
WA Ambassador for Embolalia

What the? You can add your own protocol making it to your liking. I think this proposal is pretty vague so you can make it to your liking.
Dr. Xzavier M.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Connopolis wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Wait. #10 doesn't require nations to have nukes. It says WA nations that want them can have them. That strength is mild for a reason. It doesn't force you to have nukes.

Ambassador, view it from an objective point of view; an entirely new industry is formed, which could be taxed for increased revenue, and would increase general morale. The crux of the situation is that this is ultimately up to the citizens to decide whether or not they take advantage of this resolution. In that sense, it's similar to GAR#10. Nations are given the options to have nuclear weapons; citizens are given the options to hire prostitutes. I fail to see a difference. Not only does this increase economic prosperity internationally, and increases the civil rights of a minority, but it ultimately gives your citizen's the option. I hope that clarified any confusion. :hug:

Perhaps we should legalize slavery. That way, if someone wants to be a slave we should let them! We can tax that industry too!

"NO! HELL NO! THIS ISSUE SHALL LEAD TO ANOTHER HELL HOLE IN ITSELF! DO YOU WANT SEXUAL SLAVERY TO COME AROUND IF THIS PASSES?"

Lin stormed out and was replaced by the deputy ambassador who was taking over for a while. He wasn't going to argue with those who just didn't see what the other nations were getting at with the potential crime issue.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:29 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:You know, we will not enforce this because we don't reside with the WA, we reside outside of the WA grounds...

Even then, we will block enforcement simply on the grounds Minoa presented...and that everyone else said why. You've seem so devoted to this, tell me.

Why make such a fuss over this? Even to get in our faces and demand we support this or we are "heartless" for all the hookers that are forced to do this? Even if this were legal, they still have to deal with hell. And where are the economic benefits to this? Oh and btw, Lanos has had a severe problem with sexual slavery when we liberated/annexed Hobbes City. They had a severe case of that. Now tell me why we should bring this horrible practice back only to potentially see it go down to shit again?

We will still raid brothels and arrest organizers on charges of slavery. Even if this proposal makes this shit legal. It is slavery. We may fine the hookers that do it alone but Lanos takes the meaning of working girls in brothels to be working under conditions of slavery and we will free them. All too often, we see that happen. So don't call us full of shit for having this problem. We take this shit seriously and rightfully so.

Reside: To be situated with. You are situated with the WA. About sexual slavery, thats illegal. What does it have to do with this?
Dr. Xzavier M.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Suidwes-Afrika wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:You know, we will not enforce this because we don't reside with the WA, we reside outside of the WA grounds...

Even then, we will block enforcement simply on the grounds Minoa presented...and that everyone else said why. You've seem so devoted to this, tell me.

Why make such a fuss over this? Even to get in our faces and demand we support this or we are "heartless" for all the hookers that are forced to do this? Even if this were legal, they still have to deal with hell. And where are the economic benefits to this? Oh and btw, Lanos has had a severe problem with sexual slavery when we liberated/annexed Hobbes City. They had a severe case of that. Now tell me why we should bring this horrible practice back only to potentially see it go down to shit again?

We will still raid brothels and arrest organizers on charges of slavery. Even if this proposal makes this shit legal. It is slavery. We may fine the hookers that do it alone but Lanos takes the meaning of working girls in brothels to be working under conditions of slavery and we will free them. All too often, we see that happen. So don't call us full of shit for having this problem. We take this shit seriously and rightfully so.

I've found my own loophole to this matter: We're not beyond hiring government-paid mercenaries and thugs to destroy as much of the prostitution industry as possible and therefore make it unprofitable in Suidwes-Afrika without being illegal.

Of course, our police will receive orders to investigate brothel managers and prostitutes instead for technical/minor breaches of law, instead of the hired gangs. This WA proposal stipulates we cannot regulate the industry enough to make prostitution unprofitable, but if you hire someone unaffiliated with your official government to carry out dirty work for you, all bets are off.

Keep in mind that when I speak of doing this, it is for the good of Suidwes-Afrika, which has an incredibly high rate of HIV, and other problems involving sexual-related grievances that I do not wish to go into detail with right now (These are outlined in my national factbook, which should be published soon). We're adopting a "Father knows best" take on this issue, which is understandable once you realize that about sixty to seventy per cent of our population are uncivilized savages who live in backwards and illiterate tribal societies.

The proposal says you cannot make it unprofitable. U.N.P.R.O.F.I.T.A.B.L.E. its sounds like this (un pra fit uh bul) Understand?
Dr. Xzavier M.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Great Azarath wrote:

Reside: To be situated with. You are situated with the WA. About sexual slavery, thats illegal. What does it have to do with this?

Your resolution gives those of a seedy nature to forecfully ensnare women into this industry and claim the WA is protecting them. That is an issue, especially if the seedy characters claim that a nation's attempt to break up a criminal human trafficking ring would violate the resolution on the basis that the governmental action was interfering with their ability to make a profit.

tl;dr- Criminal shit will happen.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Suidwes-Afrika wrote:
Great Azarath wrote:Did you manage to find something about NatSov?

No. Nothing at all. I'm just taking your word for it.

Alright then, so everything you put was for nothing. You aren't making sense.
Dr. Xzavier M.

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:34 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Connopolis wrote:

Perhaps we should legalize slavery. That way, if someone wants to be a slave we should let them! We can tax that industry too!

"NO! HELL NO! THIS ISSUE SHALL LEAD TO ANOTHER HELL HOLE IN ITSELF! DO YOU WANT SEXUAL SLAVERY TO COME AROUND IF THIS PASSES?"

Lin stormed out and was replaced by the deputy ambassador who was taking over for a while. He wasn't going to argue with those who just didn't see what the other nations were getting at with the potential crime issue.

Ambassador, you realize that doesn't make any sense, right? You can't accept to being a slave, otherwise it isn't slavery, it's consensual. Sexual slavery is already banned; should it occur, it's self induced due to poor regulations, not because of the resolution itself.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:38 pm

It creates jobs that you can tax = better economy
I mention sexual slavery already.
Dr. Xzavier M.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Great Azarath wrote:Reside: To be situated with. You are situated with the WA. About sexual slavery, thats illegal. What does it have to do with this?

Your resolution gives those of a seedy nature to forecfully ensnare women into this industry and claim the WA is protecting them. That is an issue, especially if the seedy characters claim that a nation's attempt to break up a criminal human trafficking ring would violate the resolution on the basis that the governmental action was interfering with their ability to make a profit.

tl;dr- Criminal shit will happen.

First of all, who says it's only women? Human trafficking is illegal so it doesn't violate and it help prevent as well. You just aren't making sense
Dr. Xzavier M.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:41 pm

How can you tax this if it goes underground? That is, it gets away from the regulation and the taxes?

In fact, legal tax collections from this industry can be taken as making them unprofitable... See where I'm going? It's a can of worms you opened with that line. Making them provide the condoms? Unprofitable. STI tests funded by them? Unprofitable. Even basic regulations? Unprofitable. See where I'm going with this?

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:46 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:How can you tax this if it goes underground? That is, it gets away from the regulation and the taxes?

In fact, legal tax collections from this industry can be taken as making them unprofitable... See where I'm going? It's a can of worms you opened with that line. Making them provide the condoms? Unprofitable. STI tests funded by them? Unprofitable. Even basic regulations? Unprofitable. See where I'm going with this?

If it goes underground???? Thats your fault, its your responsibility to make sure you dont lose control of your nation. Taxes cannot make something unprofitable, taxes apply to almost every profession. Regulations stating things such as all prostitutes must be licensed do not make it unprofitable, and protects them as well.
Dr. Xzavier M.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:52 pm

Great Azarath wrote:its your responsibility to make sure you dont lose control of your nation.well.

What? After you say we have no NatSov as soon as we enter the WA, we must make sure we don't lose control of our nations? Are you serious?

OOC: I give up on arguing with you. Period. There's no point in me arguing this with you if you're going to try to escalate this, especially with your last posts with one telling a person he doesn't know how to say "unprofitable" right.

I can't lose control of myself and lose my nation over this immoral proposal. I'll stay in the WA even after this passes but I'll ignore and block enforcement. I'm tired of it. Really am. If anyone else is wondering what I'm saying: I'm taking a leave of absence from posting in this thread for a good while.

Freedom over tyranny.
Last edited by The Republic of Lanos on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Great Azarath wrote:its your responsibility to make sure you dont lose control of your nation.well.

What? After you say we have no NatSov as soon as we enter the WA, we must make sure we don't lose control of our nations? Are you serious?

OOC: I give up on arguing with you. Period. There's no point in me arguing this with you if you're going to try to escalate this, especially with your last posts with one telling a person he doesn't know how to say "unprofitable" right.

I can't lose control of myself and lose my nation over this immoral proposal. I'll stay in the WA even after this passes but I'll ignore and block enforcement. I'm tired of it. Really am. If anyone else is wondering what I'm saying: I'm taking a leave of absence from this thread for a good while.

Freedom over tyranny.

So your saying NatSov is the only political stand point were you can control your nation, rightt.
Dr. Xzavier M.

Dilange
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Great Azarath wrote:
Dilange wrote:

OOC: You mean how you were afraid the mods would close the thread? Bullshit. Why would the mods close a thread for an in queue proposal?

"1) No Dilange joined the WA to become active in the international field, not to surrender our rights to run our country....if thsat was the case our 1st president would have never let us join. I know how the WA works, you a new here.....alas such a blank slate to be drawn from

2) To choose what exaclty Azarite? To fail in countries where prostitutes would be looked upon as outcasts and be treated like dirt from the other citizens, become more deeper in poverty.....is that the choose? If it is, you have no definiotion of freedoms dear delegate.

3) You mean kill every prostitute in my country? Cause by this bill I can keep prostitution legal and not restrict business but kill every prostiute in my country? Such a loophole huh.

4) Answer the question, you keep dodging question like imaginary bullets Azarite. I want you to be staright with me for once and not sidetrack it.

5) It was an appeal to the other delegates in the WA, it may be ninsense to you but it dear to me. As for loopholes....you mean crime, disease, and class warfare mean nothing to you?" Sainthos questioned the man.

Well tell me smart one, what other reason could there be? He said I can do it again when it goes to vote. I was following his directions. Do you think at all? If you are gonna pretend to be smart try trying harder.

Stop and think, if you are forced to follow something then you surrender your NatSov.

Again, stop and think. To choose whether or not they want to be a prostitute

If you kill them, they cannot profit from it. Making it impossible to profit therefore breaking the law

What?

What?

OOC: When it was submitted you could have made the thread.

1) No I never gave up my NatSov, it you who wants to take it away.

2) Then whats the point in mandating this? If you are not asking countries to make an industry ir even participate in it, then why the effort at all.

3) No you said government, what about people. If people start killing prostitutes in my country, then it isnt the governments fault. Therefore, if something like this happens...the government can just turn a blind eye away from it while keeping its hands of prostitution.

4) A few countries in the WA have government-mandated religion. Now, if one country had a religion that was against prostitution, would that count as a government-imposed regulation to make prostitution non-profitable? This is the question.

5) Reread my response.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Two bells rang out, as the question was put on "Legalizing Prostitution".

As the proposal clerk read the final words of the resolution ("Co-Author: Connopolis"), Lord Evif, already on his feet, keyed his microphone.

Point of information, Madam Secretary-General.

Lord Evif saw the Chair nod to him, glanced down at a card that a page had passed to him, and proceeded.

I am informed that a timely point of order was raised that this resolution was in contradiction to Resolution #68, "National Economic Freedoms"; specifically, the clause allowing national governments to regulate commerce within their jurisdiction.

As the resolution is now at vote, I assume that this point of order was not well taken and that the Secretariat has ruled that no contradiction exists.

If this understanding is incorrect, I request clarification from the Secretariat so that appropriate action can be taken to remedy the error and the General Assembly does not labor under an incorrect precedent.

Now, let the substantive debate on this resolution proceed. I yield the floor.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN WA Ambassador
Citizen of the Rejected Realms

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 pm

first vote against
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives